Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

There's already been talk of deductions being changed to a fine, I'm sure this is in advance of them not punishing city.

City aren't going to drop points and spurs are going to lose 10-0 to boost their goal difference

I think it's a bit funny how both Arsenal and Liverpool fans are already anticipating their crosstown rivals throwing their matches.

For example, I'm pretty sure Everton are going to rollover and let you score 5+ goals on the last day. It'll be the kind of thing I would otherwise find hilarious if I wasn't a Liverpool fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

powerful troll Mike Ashley romping in to sue Newcastle and then vomit in a fireplace

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-68769820

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think it's a bit funny how both Arsenal and Liverpool fans are already anticipating their crosstown rivals throwing their matches.

For example, I'm pretty sure Everton are going to rollover and let you score 5+ goals on the last day. It'll be the kind of thing I would otherwise find hilarious if I wasn't a Liverpool fan.

To be fair, it's not like anyone would be the slightest bit suspicious of Spurs Spursing it up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

Though a similar situation in Serie A a while back led to this, the one funny thing Lazio fans have ever done

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

harperdc posted:

Though a similar situation in Serie A a while back led to this, the one funny thing Lazio fans have ever done

fixed that for you

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1778406823818625144

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hell yeah AI-generated buttcam let's go

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Let's see some dummy thicc onsides

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The offside rule being down to the mm or whatever is loving stupid.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1778440251901460804

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
lol city going to face consequences for their crimes any day now

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does that mean the table on match week 1 could say -2? Lots of software upgrades required over the summer.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 11, 2024

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Thanks Ants posted:

Does that mean the table on match week 1 could say -2? Lots of software upgrades required over the summer.

there's precedent for this!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Luton_Town_F.C._season

quote:

The 2008–09 season was the 123rd season in the history of Luton Town Football Club. The team's 24th-place finish in League One in 2007–08 meant the club competed in League Two. The club was docked 30 points at the start of the season; 10 by The Football Association for irregular matters involving player transfers, and 20 by the Football League for breaking rules on exiting administration. As a result, the club finished bottom of the league and were relegated to the Conference Premier. The season was not, however, without success – Luton beat Scunthorpe United 3–2 at Wembley to win the Football League Trophy for the first time.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

what a joke

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

and they were never heard from again

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

and they were never heard from again

*pepishly* crime never pays

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Thanks Ants posted:

I look forward to technically being ahead of Sheffield United in the league table.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So getting promoted on the back of a load of players you can't afford/didn't pay for and then trousering the Premier League riches (well apparently they've already wasted all that but, lol) is being deterred by a whopping 2 point deduction.

Somebody make this make sense.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Bumhead posted:

So getting promoted on the back of a load of players you can't afford/didn't pay for and then trousering the Premier League riches (well apparently they've already wasted all that but, lol) is being deterred by a whopping 2 point deduction.

Money isn't real and nothing matters

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bumhead posted:

the advanced stats community did the math and worked out that all those players they couldn't afford actually only converted one draw into a win

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Blinkz0rz posted:

Money isn't real and nothing matters

Soon we will all be dust (not loving soon enough)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everyone should return to the sea imo

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Bumhead posted:

"We find Man City guilty but as their crimes are a lower proportion of Saudi Arabia's net wealth than Sheffield United's were of the club's then they deserve a lower punishment, they will be deducted one point".

Author's note : This will be after City win the league by 2.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Idgaf about either Bournemouth or man utd, but God those two penalty decisions yesterday really annoyed me.

Utd penalty : freak deflection onto the top of Bournemouth players arm, absolutely unintentional = instant pen, no review needed.

Bournemouth non penalty : obvious foul, right on the edge, refs decision in no way a clear or obvious error = several minutes of pedantic analysis, ref decision overruled.

I don't care about whether either or both decisions complied with the letter of the law or whatever, they're both just bullshit on a 'Spirit of the Game' level.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

Idgaf about either Bournemouth or man utd, but God those two penalty decisions yesterday really annoyed me.

Utd penalty : freak deflection onto the top of Bournemouth players arm, absolutely unintentional = instant pen, no review needed.

Bournemouth non penalty : obvious foul, right on the edge, refs decision in no way a clear or obvious error = several minutes of pedantic analysis, ref decision overruled.

I don't care about whether either or both decisions complied with the letter of the law or whatever, they're both just bullshit on a 'Spirit of the Game' level.

The Man Utd pen was horseshit and should never have been given, but the Bournemouth one was clearly outside the area?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

TheRat posted:

The Man Utd pen was horseshit and should never have been given, but the Bournemouth one was clearly outside the area?

Meh, it wasn't that clear. They spent a few mins on it and had to look at a bunch of angles. Plus I care about natural justice (me getting what I want).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I didn't see the Bournemouth match, but another nonsensical VAR decision yesterday was ruling out Brentford's second goal because two players collided with each other away from the ball while neither one was affecting play in any way

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
https://twitter.com/oilysailor/status/1779955555668271453

liverpoo

nawilo_420 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 15, 2024

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently the FA and Premier League have agreed to some new deal that will change up the domestic scheduling and other stuff: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/18/fa-cup-replays-and-premier-league-winter-break-scrapped-from-next-season

The deal includes:
  • Premier League increases funding for lower league and grassroots football by 33m a year
  • No more FA Cup replays, drawn games go directly to extra time and penalties
  • PL matches will no longer be scheduled at the same time as later round FA Cup matches
  • The FA Cup final will no longer be on the weekend after the last round of PL fixtures, it will now be on the weekend before the last round of PL fixtures, sharing a weekend with the penultimate PL matchday so that the final is played on Saturday and then a full round of PL fixtures are played on Sunday
  • No more winter break in the league, but a slightly extended summer break so players get three consecutive weeks off between seasons

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

vyelkin posted:

The FA Cup final will no longer be on the weekend after the last round of PL fixtures, it will now be on the weekend before the last round of PL fixtures, sharing a weekend with the penultimate PL matchday so that the final is played on Saturday and then a full round of PL fixtures are played on Sunday

gently caress that

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vyelkin posted:

• No more winter break in the league, but a slightly extended summer break so players get three consecutive weeks off* between seasons
*off to Saudi to play 15 friendlies in 20 days

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everyone is going to be dead by February

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
fa cup final is last game of the season this is sacrosanct.

Edit: Also, does that rule mean the teams that play in the final have to play on Saturday and then Sunday for the final league game, or will they reschedule those games for the week after or something, cos that will ruin the final day fireworks.

Dravs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 18, 2024

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There's a winter break?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dravs posted:

fa cup final is last game of the season this is sacrosanct.

Edit: Also, does that rule mean the teams that play in the final have to play on Saturday and then Sunday for the final league game, or will they reschedule those games for the week after or something, cos that will ruin the final day fireworks.

didn't see any details on that, my guess is they move the participants' penultimate match to midweek. But if there's one part of the deal I wouldn't be surprised to see them walk back, it's moving the FA Cup final, because holding it before the end of the league is some bullshit

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

vyelkin posted:

Apparently the FA and Premier League have agreed to some new deal that will change up the domestic scheduling and other stuff: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/18/fa-cup-replays-and-premier-league-winter-break-scrapped-from-next-season

The deal includes:
  • Premier League increases funding for lower league and grassroots football by 33m a year
  • No more FA Cup replays, drawn games go directly to extra time and penalties
  • PL matches will no longer be scheduled at the same time as later round FA Cup matches
  • The FA Cup final will no longer be on the weekend after the last round of PL fixtures, it will now be on the weekend before the last round of PL fixtures, sharing a weekend with the penultimate PL matchday so that the final is played on Saturday and then a full round of PL fixtures are played on Sunday
  • No more winter break in the league, but a slightly extended summer break so players get three consecutive weeks off between seasons
Uncool and not good.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

didn't see any details on that, my guess is they move the participants' penultimate match to midweek. But if there's one part of the deal I wouldn't be surprised to see them walk back, it's moving the FA Cup final, because holding it before the end of the league is some bullshit

It's also bullshit that the two teams in a cup final are forced to play an extra midweek game, especially if the clubs are in any way involved in title/relegation races

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t get the point of moving the cup final earlier — who’s advocating for that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lines up with the cup going onto pay TV doesn't it, presume some MBA big brain thinks that you have to somehow make it worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

This is why Jurgen is leaving - he fought so hard for the winter break then they're getting rid of it now lmao