Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

got any questions about linux? post them here and let our knowledgeable goon sirs nerd out to help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousBiz
Mar 28, 2010

I Pay to Poast on Internet
What is the best Linux and why is it Fedora?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

42 :smugmrgw:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
use BSD, OP

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

eschaton posted:

use BSD, OP

is that a new linux distro or something?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

MaliciousBiz posted:

What is the best Linux and why is it Fedora?

wrong.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
here's a way to avoid most linux issues: do not use linux

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

got any questions about linux? post them here and let our knowledgeable goon sirs nerd out to help

Can kindly you guide on how make dual boot setup with Windows XP and also Ubuntu 20.04 LTS in new UEFI system, but wanting not GRUB bootloader, instead wishing for using Windows Boot Manager for choosing OS? Also, wanting only NTFS file system for Ubuntu for making easy file sharing between two OS without needing network or external drives. It is very needed that Ubuntu should take NTFS as root file system by itself, no third-party tools or drivers should be there. Moreover, needing help for making swap file, not swap partition, on NTFS for better speed. How to make /home directory shared between both OS, so Ubuntu user settings come same in Windows XP, for not having two different user experiences? This setup must keep Ubuntu's security like SELinux working good in NTFS too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poopernickel posted:

Can kindly you guide on how make dual boot setup with Windows XP and also Ubuntu 20.04 LTS in new UEFI system, but wanting not GRUB bootloader, instead wishing for using Windows Boot Manager for choosing OS? Also, wanting only NTFS file system for Ubuntu for making easy file sharing between two OS without needing network or external drives. It is very needed that Ubuntu should take NTFS as root file system by itself, no third-party tools or drivers should be there. Moreover, needing help for making swap file, not swap partition, on NTFS for better speed. How to make /home directory shared between both OS, so Ubuntu user settings come same in Windows XP, for not having two different user experiences? This setup must keep Ubuntu's security like SELinux working good in NTFS too.

:shepface:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

grad students submitting tickets.txt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that ntfs linux support is still explodey as gently caress right

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no ironically you could actually do this now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rofl gross

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

source your quotes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

also the windows installer is trash that will completely hose your uefi boot list, so if you are dual booting, install it first unless you want to mess with efibootmgr to unfuck things

e: and never update windows either, as updates can overwrite the uefi boot list too

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 10, 2024

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
anybody who voluntarily uses a Linux needs help

divsel
Mar 28, 2024
https://archiveofourown.org/works/45319300/chapters/114018958

Metalocalypse fan fiction where Dethklok installs Linux.

No, I did not write this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no click zone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

also the windows installer is trash that will completely hose your uefi boot list, so if you are dual booting, install it first unless you want to mess with efibootmgr to unfuck things

e: and never update windows either, as updates can overwrite the uefi boot list too

:ssh: even if it weren't a joke, which it is, any edition of windows xp worth actually using doesn't support uefi

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

divsel posted:

didn’t read

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

divsel posted:

why do you know this exists

divsel
Mar 28, 2024

Captain Foo posted:

why do you know this exists

It was on someone's neocities page.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it makes a lot of sense to me to make one of the linux threads the fanfic one.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

Oh, thank you very much for your guidance, really it is opening my eyes. Not knowing this Windows installer can make such problems with UEFI boot list. Your advice is shining light on my confusion. But, if okay, I'm having few more doubts to ask. When setting Ubuntu after Windows, how to ensure GRUB not getting overwritten by Windows Boot Manager? This is big worry for me. And, when must do Windows updates for keeping safe, how to protect UEFI boot list from changes? Is there a way in Linux to check UEFI boot list is still good after Windows make updates? Your help is like big support for me, making my journey in learning Linux much easier. Many thanks to you for sharing your knowledge.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

source your quotes

I already open-sourced them under the Mozilla GPL v 1.0 so I think we're good???

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
for windows I would also disconnect other drives because windows will put the mbr or efi partition on a random drive. if you are a turbo nerd like me you install linux first then install windows in a vm using pci passthrough

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Perplx posted:

for windows I would also disconnect other drives because windows will put the mbr or efi partition on a random drive. if you are a turbo nerd like me you install linux first then install windows in a vm using pci passthrough

I see that you too have fallen for my classic trap

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

anybody who voluntarily uses a Linux needs help

what is your point

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just that it’s fitting to have a Linux help thread

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
there is nothing wrong with using linux, unless you mean on the desktop then yes something is wrong with you

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

eschaton posted:

use BSD, OP

I, for one, like having two to three different help utilities that have built up over the years

I like having a libc that is like picking through the ruins of endless greybeard wars. The only flowers that grow are watered by bitter compromise.

In other news I'm going to linuxfest northwest for the first time post-pandemic and (I since I know y'all like drama) Bryan Lunduke hasn't been invited back to give his annual Linux Sucks talk.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wtf did you make me click

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Using bash is easy once you learn !! and !$

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hell i taught a couple of the younger folks ctrl-R and they about fell out of their chair

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
none of the shells on UNIX can hold a candle to DCL in conjunction with the HELP facility

the only thing even in the same league is the Genera Dynamic Listener, which is even better

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

now you’re just trolling

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I installed linux on a home server recently and put gnome on it just in case I needed to fix anything so I would have a window manager when I did. then gnome hosed everything else so I wiped it and reinstalled without a desktop environment. works great now

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

nrook posted:

I installed linux on a home server recently and put gnome on it just in case I needed to fix anything so I would have a window manager when I did. then gnome hosed everything else so I wiped it and reinstalled without a desktop environment. works great now

I did this as well and it felt a little like Cortez burning his ships when he got to the new world since I didn't (and still dont really) know poo poo about poo poo about linux or the command line save for a bunch of half remembered DOS 5.0 commands. Seems to work good now, and I'm afraid to touch anything

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i'll just use Windows 7 a while longer thanks OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Coffee Jones posted:

In other news I'm going to linuxfest northwest for the first time post-pandemic and (I since I know y'all like drama) Bryan Lunduke hasn't been invited back to give his annual Linux Sucks talk.

good, Lunduke has turned into a chud. He made amazing content for years, but he's really gone off the deep-end post COVID. The last thing I watched from him was a video where he went off on a rant about Microsoft is woke now and is being taken over by trans people. I got about 2 minutes into it and unsubscribed.

it's kind of sad really, watching him slowly get eaten by brainworms over the last 4 years.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 12, 2024