Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
how many innocent lives will be destroyed before they ban GNOME?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Poopernickel posted:

good, Lunduke has turned into a chud. He made amazing content for years, but he's really gone off the deep-end post COVID. The last thing I watched from him was a video where he went off on a rant about Microsoft is woke now and is being taken over by trans people. I got about 2 minutes into it and unsubscribed.

it's kind of sad really, watching him slowly get eaten by brainworms over the last 4 years.

is this the guy who converted to orthodox christianity?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

how many innocent lives will be destroyed before they ban GNOME?

whats up with GNOME? i mean i personally dont like it too much but thats just because its not really my style. seems to be perfectly fine otherwise

George
Nov 27, 2004

It used to be good like 25 years ago

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
gnome puts your computer to sleep after 15 minutes if it's waiting at the login screen. there is no exposed setting to change this. this is what made me get rid of it

this isn't exactly what you would call a problem for normal people but it's what I hit when I wanted it lying around to use just in case

e: I mean normal people aren't using linux to begin with obviously

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
screen on means backlight which means battery.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The power-efficient way to do this is to run face tracking on the webcam and only turn on the display when someone is looking at it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Captain Foo posted:

now you’re just trolling

you’re just saying that as a way of asking for a login on an emulated VAX

you can have one if you want and you promise not to use it for things that’d get me in trouble, and not to intentionally disrupt service for other users :)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Arson Daily posted:

I did this as well and it felt a little like Cortez burning his ships when he got to the new world since I didn't (and still dont really) know poo poo about poo poo about linux or the command line save for a bunch of half remembered DOS 5.0 commands. Seems to work good now, and I'm afraid to touch anything

in DCL on VMS you can just use HELP to learn how to use all commands, and they all have consistent syntax and behavior

and every application uses the same command line syntax as DCL itself and also the same help facility so once you know how to use a couple things, you know how to use almost everything

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

screen on means backlight which means battery.

complaining about the only power management feature Linux has

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

nrook posted:

e: I mean normal people aren't using linux to begin with obviously

sadly probably too long for a thread title

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

akadajet posted:

complaining: the only feature Linux has

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

eschaton posted:

in DCL on VMS you can just use HELP to learn how to use all commands, and they all have consistent syntax and behavior

and every application uses the same command line syntax as DCL itself and also the same help facility so once you know how to use a couple things, you know how to use almost everything

this is the difference between an operating system which is designed holistically vs a collection of utilities and a kernel developed independently and packaged together haphazardly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

whats up with GNOME? i mean i personally dont like it too much but thats just because its not really my style. seems to be perfectly fine otherwise

compatibility churn loving the software that actually does things over, kind of ground zero for a really dull corporate view of things (ultimate dream: be the white-label i-can't-believe-its-not-butter desktop for a penny pinching effort by a german municipal government in 2039), that weirdly leading to them consistently seeming to want to make a desktop for just about anyone except those likely to have any interest in it, and huge on hiding, dumbing down, and limiting stuff.

and rather suffocated a lot else in the process.

those are my takes anyway.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

MaliciousBiz posted:

What is the best Linux and why is it Fedora?

fedora’s 6 month update cycle / 18 months to obsolescence is super annoying, much to fast for a server, and I don’t use desktop fedora anymore since getting a mac

George
Nov 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

compatibility churn loving the software that actually does things over, kind of ground zero for a really dull corporate view of things (ultimate dream: be the white-label i-can't-believe-its-not-butter desktop for a penny pinching effort by a german municipal government in 2039), that weirdly leading to them consistently seeming to want to make a desktop for just about anyone except those likely to have any interest in it, and huge on hiding, dumbing down, and limiting stuff.

Which is funny because back in the day it was supposed to be KDE that simplified everything and GNOME was for grognards who want to customize everything.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

George posted:

Which is funny because back in the day it was supposed to be KDE that simplified everything and GNOME was for grognards who want to customize everything.

gnome *was* really good is part of it. it always had really weird technology choices, but it was absolutely the most competent thing around gnome 2. not least accessibility, documentation, and some concern for the infrastructure. but it has actually *degraded* in those regards since.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

fresh_cheese posted:

this is the difference between an operating system which is designed holistically vs a collection of utilities and a kernel developed independently and packaged together haphazardly

didn't the guy behind VMS describe unix as something like "exactly what you would expect from an OS designed by a committee of phd students"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

didn't the guy behind VMS describe unix as something like "exactly what you would expect from an OS designed by a committee of phd students"

does sound like dave cutler. he does say a lot of interesting and slightly catty stuff. and hates unix.

and as far as how to do io has been kind of proven right by linux adopting the nt/vms design in the last few years.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Sweevo posted:

yeah, but also nah

unix was a reaction to multix, an os being designed by a committee of committees that spanned academia and was all things to all people and could never possibly be implemented because the design could never be finished

so yea it was designed by some phd nerds and yea its weird but at least the original design philosophy sorta made sense at the time. everything is a file. small utilities that do one thing well. all utilities read stdin and write stdout so you can pipe them together to develop complex tools from the simple tools.

i never used at&t unix, but i have used hpux, aix, and solaris, and currently have an openbsd for some reason

they have all strayed from the original simple thesis over time, but the better ones at least have some cohesive design to the userspace and how the utilities all work. eg in aix all commands to enumerate anything in the os are ls(whatever) and to change stuff its ch(whatever)

linux has very little of that. its a collection of hobby projects whos designs were all done in isolation and then mashed together into a distro.

the only thing that provides any cohesiveness to the linux experience at this point is systemd. and the wars over systemd tell you all you need to know about the linux community

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

linux help: you picked the wrong distro for the task at hand. you should have picked gentoo. by the time you understand why gentoo is also wrong you will be able to make better choices next time.

George
Nov 27, 2004

gnome *was* really good is part of it. it always had really weird technology choices, but it was absolutely the most competent thing around gnome 2. not least accessibility, documentation, and some concern for the infrastructure. but it has actually *degraded* in those regards since.

Yeah exactly, I remember going back to Linux as my main OS for my laptop and looking for ages to find all the cool gnome-panel customizations that I used in 2001 and they were all loving gone. It was basically just a less customizable windows taskbar.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

gnome3’s unified tablet/desktop bs is when i stopped running vanilla ubuntu and went to kubuntu instead.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nrook posted:

I installed linux on a home server recently and put gnome on it just in case I needed to fix anything so I would have a window manager when I did. then gnome hosed everything else so I wiped it and reinstalled without a desktop environment. works great now

Arson Daily posted:

I did this as well and it felt a little like Cortez burning his ships when he got to the new world since I didn't (and still dont really) know poo poo about poo poo about linux or the command line save for a bunch of half remembered DOS 5.0 commands. Seems to work good now, and I'm afraid to touch anything

Sweevo posted:

i'll just use Windows 7 a while longer thanks OP

hbag posted:

just use KDE, op. it's very good now, and has been for two releases now. you absolutely can't say the same for gnome

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
change this thread title to "linux help thread: just use kde" tia

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

George posted:

It used to be good like 25 years ago

more like 15, but yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

they also keep rebasing it on very slightly different yet entirely incompatible versions of gtk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

George posted:

Yeah exactly, I remember going back to Linux as my main OS for my laptop and looking for ages to find all the cool gnome-panel customizations that I used in 2001 and they were all loving gone. It was basically just a less customizable windows taskbar.

kde

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

George posted:

when I used gnome3 I remember stuff like gnome tweak tool could help tho it was annoying that this stuff was hidden in optional packages as opposed to just, available from the start

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
gnome tweak tool has been deprecated lol. like half the options don't work anymore. just use kde

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

gnome tweak tool has been deprecated lol. like half the options don't work anymore. just use kde

oh lol that sucks. kde is still kind of bloated if I’m gonna be using a Linuxen it’s gonna be a light weight desktop environment or more likely a window manager. floating or tiling is fine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
UEFI, more like UFIA

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

and as far as how to do io has been kind of proven right by linux adopting the nt/vms design in the last few years.

i would like to know more about this

edit: unless you’re going to say io_uring, in which case lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

i would like to know more about this

edit: unless you’re going to say io_uring, in which case lol

i am going to say io_uring yeah

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

i am going to say io_uring yeah

io_uring is such a massive clusterfuck of terrible design and implementation that, while the concept is valid, the actual result is fully garbage.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

you’re just saying that as a way of asking for a login on an emulated VAX

you can have one if you want and you promise not to use it for things that’d get me in trouble, and not to intentionally disrupt service for other users :)

does it take much to emulate VAX? i imagine it can't require too powerful hardware, what with being like 40 years old

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

does it take much to emulate VAX? i imagine it can't require too powerful hardware, what with being like 40 years old

it does not, SIMH is great and fast and has knowledge of the idle loop behavior for a bunch of operating systems so it can sleep instead of executing, etc.

it barely takes any CPU or memory to have my 10-year-old ProLiant running multiple fully-kitted-out VAX VMS instances 24/7, a Raspberry Pi (even the original) is Just Fine too

just be sure to use real SIMH (aka “Open SIMH”) https://github.com/open-simh/ instead ofmarkpizz’ss personal fork which is spitefully squatting https://github.com/simh/ (markpizz used to be a core maintainer, but flipped out when one too many people opposed a change he implemented that was destructively modifying disk images, and tried to unilaterally change the license out from under everyone else, thus Open SIMH and a new GitHub organization)

VMS is easy to install too:

- obtain the OpenVMS 7.3 for VAX ISO
- build, configure, and boot one of the emulators off of it (microvax3100m80 and vaxstation4000m60 are good choices, they support up to 72MB and 104MB RAM each which is very roomy for VMS and even running at 1:1 performance rather than unthrottled they’ll be fast)
- follow the installation guide’s steps for restoring the backup set from the CD image to your system disk and to do the initial configuration

then get the VAXBINJUN04 consolidated distribution ISOs and install software, there’s a text installation guide with each individual package and virtually all of them just need $ @SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL packagenameVersion disk:[packagenameVersion.kit] (though occasionally a system parameter may need to be adjusted upward from the defaults to support the package, though I haven’t run into that often on VMS 7.3)

the two big hassles are that you’ll need to figure out how to acquire and install the Product Authorization Keys (I leave that up to your capable search engine), and you’ll need to get used to using PKZIP and/or FTP in ASCII mode, since VMS text files are variable-length-record-oriented (16-bit length prefix for each line), not arbitrary-length-line-oriented with EOL terminators

eschaton fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 13, 2024

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

should I set up the YOSVAX?

I could set up the YOSVAX

the NOTES discussion conference system is pretty cool

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

set up the YOSBBS and put some cool door games on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

set up the YOSBBS and put some cool door games on it