Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Using bash is easy once you learn !! and !$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

good, Lunduke has turned into a chud. He made amazing content for years, but he's really gone off the deep-end post COVID. The last thing I watched from him was a video where he went off on a rant about Microsoft is woke now and is being taken over by trans people. I got about 2 minutes into it and unsubscribed.

it's kind of sad really, watching him slowly get eaten by brainworms over the last 4 years.

is this the guy who converted to orthodox christianity?

George
Nov 27, 2004

It used to be good like 25 years ago

George
Nov 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

compatibility churn loving the software that actually does things over, kind of ground zero for a really dull corporate view of things (ultimate dream: be the white-label i-can't-believe-its-not-butter desktop for a penny pinching effort by a german municipal government in 2039), that weirdly leading to them consistently seeming to want to make a desktop for just about anyone except those likely to have any interest in it, and huge on hiding, dumbing down, and limiting stuff.

and rather suffocated a lot else in the process.

those are my takes anyway.

Which is funny because back in the day it was supposed to be KDE that simplified everything and GNOME was for grognards who want to customize everything.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

gnome *was* really good is part of it. it always had really weird technology choices, but it was absolutely the most competent thing around gnome 2. not least accessibility, documentation, and some concern for the infrastructure. but it has actually *degraded* in those regards since.

Yeah exactly, I remember going back to Linux as my main OS for my laptop and looking for ages to find all the cool gnome-panel customizations that I used in 2001 and they were all loving gone. It was basically just a less customizable windows taskbar.