Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

The_Franz posted:

also the windows installer is trash that will completely hose your uefi boot list, so if you are dual booting, install it first unless you want to mess with efibootmgr to unfuck things

e: and never update windows either, as updates can overwrite the uefi boot list too

:ssh: even if it weren't a joke, which it is, any edition of windows xp worth actually using doesn't support uefi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nrook posted:

I installed linux on a home server recently and put gnome on it just in case I needed to fix anything so I would have a window manager when I did. then gnome hosed everything else so I wiped it and reinstalled without a desktop environment. works great now

Arson Daily posted:

I did this as well and it felt a little like Cortez burning his ships when he got to the new world since I didn't (and still dont really) know poo poo about poo poo about linux or the command line save for a bunch of half remembered DOS 5.0 commands. Seems to work good now, and I'm afraid to touch anything

Sweevo posted:

i'll just use Windows 7 a while longer thanks OP

hbag posted:

whats up with GNOME? i mean i personally dont like it too much but thats just because its not really my style. seems to be perfectly fine otherwise

just use KDE, op. it's very good now, and has been for two releases now. you absolutely can't say the same for gnome

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
change this thread title to "linux help thread: just use kde" tia

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

George posted:

It used to be good like 25 years ago

more like 15, but yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

compatibility churn loving the software that actually does things over, kind of ground zero for a really dull corporate view of things (ultimate dream: be the white-label i-can't-believe-its-not-butter desktop for a penny pinching effort by a german municipal government in 2039), that weirdly leading to them consistently seeming to want to make a desktop for just about anyone except those likely to have any interest in it, and huge on hiding, dumbing down, and limiting stuff.

and rather suffocated a lot else in the process.

those are my takes anyway.

they also keep rebasing it on very slightly different yet entirely incompatible versions of gtk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

George posted:

Yeah exactly, I remember going back to Linux as my main OS for my laptop and looking for ages to find all the cool gnome-panel customizations that I used in 2001 and they were all loving gone. It was basically just a less customizable windows taskbar.

kde

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
gnome tweak tool has been deprecated lol. like half the options don't work anymore. just use kde

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

you’re just saying that as a way of asking for a login on an emulated VAX

you can have one if you want and you promise not to use it for things that’d get me in trouble, and not to intentionally disrupt service for other users :)

does it take much to emulate VAX? i imagine it can't require too powerful hardware, what with being like 40 years old

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

should I set up the YOSVAX?

I could set up the YOSVAX

the NOTES discussion conference system is pretty cool

yes i'm probably not going to do all of the emulator stuff any time soon (but thanks for posting it, i actually might someday)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
why do you have news headlines if it cuts off what most of them are actually about