Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/project/how-to-make-a-pinhole-camera/

you can make a little pinhole eclipse viewer pretty easily, I remember doing this as a kid and it was fun. We have eclipse glasses my partner got; I am wondering if full on welding goggles would be good enough, too? I used to stare into the heart of a ceramic furnace with those things on, always felt like I was looking into the refrigerator from Ghostbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Got some nerds setting up next to me in Arkansas.

(They’re cool though)

I'm envious of your lack of chemtrails

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At an event at a farm in northern New Hampshire. They have burgers and hot dogs and classic rock on blast. It's nice and warm out but there's still snow in the ground from a few days ago.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Propaganda Machine posted:

At an event at a farm in northern New Hampshire. They have burgers and hot dogs and classic rock on blast. It's nice and warm out but there's still snow in the ground from a few days ago.

welcome to new hampshire in april

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Ehud posted:

somebody explain what 80% coverage looks like

i am not smart please use terms i can understand

You won’t even notice anythings happening unless you look at the sun with the special glasses and then you’ll see something like this.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Live stream of the sun from the University of Central Arkansas Observatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrWkmZvI3JY

Live stream looking out over Conway, Arkansas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPCPny2TBkQ

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Clouds in the way, rip me

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Shinjobi posted:

Clouds in the way, rip me

Same! I walked the the park with my little cereal boxes and my Faygo Moon Mist and everything. There are bursts of sunlight and it's kind of cool I guess :viconia:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Stupid cloudy Arkansas. :argh:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Currently sitting in a field, amongst the weeds, looking up high, and seeing the eclipse every few min through cloud breaks.

:)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Good news: clouds hosed off

Bad news: within 15 minutes chemtrail jets did this

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
20 minutes to start here and at the moment skies are mostly clear. The few clouds are very wispy, hopefully stay that way.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cabbages and Kings posted:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/project/how-to-make-a-pinhole-camera/

you can make a little pinhole eclipse viewer pretty easily, I remember doing this as a kid and it was fun. We have eclipse glasses my partner got; I am wondering if full on welding goggles would be good enough, too? I used to stare into the heart of a ceramic furnace with those things on, always felt like I was looking into the refrigerator from Ghostbusters

phillips safety posted:

Only welding glasses with the darkest shade level of 14 can protect your eyes properly, but these are uncommon and may not be available in many hardware stores.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is it the Eclipsening yet?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cartoon Man posted:

Is it the Eclipsening yet?

It is for me.

Anyone else got some dark side of the moon playing?

It's a little on the nose, but still.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
meh I'll catch the next one

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Rainy and cloudy in Houston. So just another day

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
All the birds in the park started going crazy. This is what I get for touching grass. For real tho, I thought animals were supposed to get real quiet. :hmmwrong: wonder how the cats are doing

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Stupid clouds :(

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
clouds broke, was able to use my special super glasses to see the partial eclipse so far in north texas

got some time til total

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Almost at the peak here, but only 35% coverage. Oh well, time to go blind myself.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I can see the moon starting to cover the moon just fine when I look through the special glasses, but apparently all of the camera stuff I have is garbo, because there's nothing but sun in every pic I take… :sun::argh:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The Bananana posted:

It is for me.

Anyone else got some dark side of the moon playing?

It's a little on the nose, but still.

The NASA stream has some :420: ambient music playing at the moment. They just showed the full eclipse over Mexico and it was pretty cool. There's some sunspots going crazy on the right hand side of the sun.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Neat!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Eclipse is starting for me as well and that's what I saw through my eclipse glasses too. Chemtrails may ruin blue skies, but they cannot ruin eclipses :flipoff:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Knormal posted:

Almost at the peak here, but only 35% coverage. Oh well, time to go blind myself.
Well the sunlight seems a little dimmer I guess, but the sun itself's still too bright to look at. They should warn you about that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

Knormal posted:

Well the sunlight seems a little dimmer I guess, but the sun itself's still too bright to look at. They should warn you about that.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5j95RUSLd8

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drat you, I just came here to post this.

This is the NASA stream. It'll have to do for me since the sky is completely covered with clouds.

Stupid earth with all its stupid water. How I hate it! :argh:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I looked at the partial LA one because my neighbor was outside and she had those special glasses.

Have scientists even figured out what causes Anubis to attack Ra in such a manner? Or is it just "more research needed" type thing.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Have scientists even figured out what causes Anubis to attack Ra in such a manner? Or is it just "more research needed" type thing.

It's because of woke!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Completely clouded over here

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Knormal posted:

keep looking, it'll go dark in a few minutes

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
About 50% coverage here, and the colors are already changing

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
At about 10% here, supposed to peak at 92%

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

NASA's soundtrack is pretty chill

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Lmao bright blue skies in Detroit until half an hour ago and now clouds. Oh well our eclipse was a lame 99.5%

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

has anyone ascended to the next plane of terror yet?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pacing my backyard, checking out some bugs, occasionally staring at the sun.

Owns so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Totality was pretty sweet. Seeing a full eclipse like that is honestly pretty indescribable. 10/10 would do again.