Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen the moon do. Partial eclipses are nothing to me now.

Had I known it would get so dark, I would've gotten my real camera out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

That loving owned

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Friend posted:

Partial eclipses are nothing to me now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HOLY poo poo!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
That doesnt look right

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Cool!! I can't wait to find what my HEROES power is. I didn't see any bats flying but the birds got all quiet

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

drat poo poo do get dark

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
through all of this, I have learned that there is a town in Arkansas called "Arkadelphia" and that just doesn't sit right with me for some odd reason.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I don't have any glasses and I'm not dumb enough to look at the great nuclear fusion reaction in the sky.

But as it gets darker, I get why this would have freaked people out who didn't know what was up.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Lol I'm like ten minutes from the totality, and it's so overcast that I can't tell where the sun is. It's also only gotten as dark as a moderately rainy day so far.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

So weird that for the hour from start to max it was really only in the finally minutes that it started getting appreciably darker.

The sun is loving bright

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Okay, even 99.5% is kind of creepy. All the street lights came on for a few minutes and it got cold.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
its looking pretty weird outside! 10 min to 96% where i am

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

So weird that for the hour from start to max it was really only in the finally minutes that it started getting appreciably darker.

The sun is loving bright

The temperature here around the time it started getting dark was an unseasonably warm 76°F. It dropped over 10 degrees during the eclipse.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:gizz: I SAW THE TOTALITY AND IT WAS AWESOME :gizz:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yeah, it cooled off a lot too

I was at 99.98% and it was weird as hell seeing it get dark, but also still be casting a shadow

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 8, 2024

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Here to confirm that the eclipse happened and the only thing bad that happened was the bathrooms backed up at the state park I’m in lol

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
That was amazing. The darkness fell and then lifted so fast, no wonder people have thought it was the end of the world. The cloud coverage actually made it possible to see the eclipse without the glasses., which I know is dumb

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

EorayMel posted:

Same

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My shithole town was in the path of totality and I got pics. :smug:

And of course the clouds broke up right after totality ended. gently caress you clouds. :argh:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EorayMel posted:

same :hellyeah:

clouds almost ruined it though

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
Its really cool to hear everyone describe it.

Minnesota was very overcast and rainy, so I didn't get any indication it was happening.

Thanks for posting photos and the NASA video too!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I. M. Gei posted:

My shithole town was in the path of totality and I got pics. :smug:

And of course the clouds broke up right after totality ended. gently caress you clouds. :argh:

Last one looks like a wedding ring

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Saw it in a random place north of Austin TX. Narrowly avoided clouds, which swept in about 5 min after totality. It was cool as heck. 2nd one I've seen, absolutely worth the trip, amazing view of the corona, got 4 mins of totality, :iia:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I didn't know what to do during the totality so I jerked off

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That was nuts, it looked amazing and I honestly wasn't expecting it to get that dark~

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

smoobles posted:

I didn't know what to do during the totality so I jerked off

The gods were so mad this guy jerked off that they turned off the sun!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

EorayMel posted:

Last one looks like a wedding ring

I got about 7 pics of the diamond ring and I don't think that's even the best one.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

97% got pretty cold, after my last partial eclipse I didn't expect that much difference in temperature.

Ended up watching the entire thing through a camera obscura made in an amazon box

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
CNN.com being like “touch grass, loser”

Edit: best pic I got here in 93% land

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 8, 2024

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Mysterious Jim posted:

through all of this, I have learned that there is a town in Arkansas called "Arkadelphia" and that just doesn't sit right with me for some odd reason.

Definitely weird. I lived there for 18 years, only just recently moved. Trying to sell a house there if you know anyone interested!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
that was a lot more interesting than I was expecting, I'll be honest. We had total visibility, and it was the absolutely stereotypical image of a black sun with a fiery corona, which pretty quickly developed a blindingly bright spot in one corner and then whoosh glasses back on per the NASA Eclipse Safety sheet.

Also I am reminded that in Prisoners of the Sun, Tintin rescues everyone from sacrifice by a sun-worship tribe b/c he knows about an eclipse and they don't and, like, talk about the height of pompous colonialist nonsense. Yea yea the fuckin tribe that's been worshipping the sun for thousands of years totally has never seen an eclipse bro, that's just great writing :allears:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

drat that was cool as hell. The two craziest moments were:

-watching the final sliver disappear through the glasses and then taking them off to reveal the otherworldly ring in the sky

-the last few seconds of totality as the edge exploded into brightness

Everything else was also amazing but those bits made me feel true awe.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Also I am reminded that in Prisoners of the Sun, Tintin rescues everyone from sacrifice by a sun-worship tribe b/c he knows about an eclipse and they don't and, like, talk about the height of pompous colonialist nonsense. Yea yea the fuckin tribe that's been worshipping the sun for thousands of years totally has never seen an eclipse bro, that's just great writing :allears:

Mark Twain used the same plot device in "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". An American pwning the British with astronomy knowledge feels less rear end in a top hat-y.

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Decent visibility here in dallas despite spotty clouds.

The totality was genuinely a pretty cool event

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Tried to get pics, but eh. This is the best that I could manage:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
only 98% here, glad I didn't do anything special. was sunny at the start but 1/2 hour later it was blocked by fuckin' clouds.

otoh there were a lot of clear patches on the other side of the sky from the sun, they went an interesting shade of blue.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

GBS Hates Clouds

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Vastarien posted:

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Tried to get pics, but eh. This is the best that I could manage:

this is really cool and also for all the problems modern technology has created the fact that you can capture this without specific training and very specialized industry grade devices is pretty incredible. When I was a kid we thought solar glasses and pinhole boxes were neat, no handheld things that could look at this.

I tried to burn out the sensor in an old motorola phone filming the totality coming back into light but several minutes of light didn't actually do the sensor in, so they are a lot more durable than the human eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
So jealous on you guys, the most eclipse I've experienced was a 5%-ish a few years ago.

I used a pair of binoculars to project the sun down on the paper.