Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
im a 100% or bust nerd because I saw the "real" 2017 one in totality, but even this partial one was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i did the binocular thing in 2017, it was tempting to use the binoculars to look right at the sun

this time there was around 40% coverage here and i looked at the sun for a split second and could barely notice, maybe the top left half was a little darker, overall pretty boring

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I now feel silly for being cynical about the number of cars and expense and difficulty of travel for to see this, and instead feel glad I got to experience it from my porch, but, also glad for those who did make the hassle of coming here, that they had real good visibility and nice weather for it.

Having only experienced partial eclipses before, this was a completely different vibe. My ski spot was open and I bet someone had a backflip lined up to do during the totality, I hope they landed it.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Totality was surreal. Hadn't see a 100% eclipse before. I wasn't expecting the temperature to drop that much.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
iirc 2017 the coolest effect was when it was like 95ish+% and it seemed like the whole world was under a giant polarized sunglass

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

that was freaking epic

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My parents absolutely underestimated the number of people that would be traveling south on I-75 to Ohio and after 1.5hrs in traffic made it to Monroe MI, maybe halfway of what is normally an hour-ish drive. Got them from 99.5 to 99.8% totality.

PhazonLink posted:

iirc 2017 the coolest effect was when it was like 95ish+% and it seemed like the whole world was under a giant polarized sunglass

Here in Detroit I tried to capture just how dim and strange everything got with my phone which is hard because all phones now want to turn night into day and overexpose shadows because HDR. This is the closest I could get with adjusting the exposure to match real life.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
for all the sad cloud people, just be glad you didnt get declared dead.

iirc some 18th century astronomer went to try to measure the transit of Venus across the sun, traveled to india, missed twiced due to clouds. 2nd time was in several years so he decided to just stay and wait. and then he went back home and his wife remarried, his family got all his stuff, he lost his uni job.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My dearest Clarabelle,

I know it has been some time since my last letter. Please do not declare me dead.

Yours,

Tycho

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
My eyes feel like I'm sitting in front of a campfire and I have dark spots in the center of my vision, but the 90% coverage was rad as hell. Amazing how freaking bright just 10% of the sun is.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Geez it really casts in a whole new light the quantity of letters constantly being exchanged when people were apart. Like, Tycho had better write all his friends and neighbors too, so somebody can go to the courthouse and contest the death declaration with evidence.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I got to see it in the Akron area, I also saw the 2017 one. They are awesome experiences, sorry to those who got lovely weather.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
So close yet so far for me. Still neat at 97%.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Pac and Cheese posted:

i did the binocular thing in 2017, it was tempting to use the binoculars to look right at the sun

Someone at my watch party had lens covers for their binoculars, so you could look straight at it with them. Something like these.

Another guy had a telescope with a sun lens, but he couldn’t get it off easily enough to switch over to a normal lens for the totality.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I only saw the partial during 2017, but this year I made the effort to go up to see the total. Took about twice as long as it would normally be for that trip because of the traffic, but it was worth every bit. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen.

The sudden darkness and drop in temperature were what I expected (but still really cool), and slowly watching the sun being swallowed was really neat just like in the partial, but the part I didn't expect, that pictures just can't prepare you for, is looking up when totality hits and seeing this goddamn hole in the sky surrounded by ethereal light where the sun should be. I totally get why eclipses have caused religious experiences. It looks like nothing else in the world, absolutely incredible.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 8, 2024

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Saw the totality, that was really cool. There was a distinctly red flare or something on the bottom, was not expecting that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Haystack posted:

Saw the totality, that was really cool. There was a distinctly red flare or something on the bottom, was not expecting that.

Yeah that was unexpected and neat

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Vastarien posted:

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Tried to get pics, but eh. This is the best that I could manage:

That is a drat good shot!!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baily%27s_beads
Here's the name for them.

Oh and here's my pic:

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 8, 2024

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

a dude on a bike stopped as he rode by to chat me up and complain about how the sky had been cloudless and perfect before "they" got their planes in the air and just went all out with the chemtrails to ruin the view for everyone

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Here in rural Southern Missouri. Got an Airbnb inside the totality path with 2m 45s. The weather is absolutely perfect, not a cloud in the sky and warm. It was the craziest poo poo I've ever seen. Heard an owl in the middle of the afternoon, fuzzy shadows, rapid temperature drop, all wind stopped like the calm before the storm. I can't even describe what totality looks like other than a godly halo around a hole in the sky. 100% worth the hundreds of miles to get here. Next one in the continental US isn't for 20 years.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was driving home during the height of it here which was probably like 80% and it was spooky seeing everyone's cars lights and parking lot lights pop on at the sameish time. Like when a ridiculous storm rolls in out of nowhere and it just feels like some poo poo's about to go down. It was pretty cloudy all day so I got some peeks at it through the glasses but didn't have too great of a view. Still neat though!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The 2017 one owned even though my area only got like 90% because my dad an I alternated between checking the sun and watching the Little League World Series on TV

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Totality was like nothing else I’ve ever experienced. It was worth the hype holy poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cabbages and Kings posted:

that was a lot more interesting than I was expecting, I'll be honest. We had total visibility, and it was the absolutely stereotypical image of a black sun with a fiery corona, which pretty quickly developed a blindingly bright spot in one corner and then whoosh glasses back on per the NASA Eclipse Safety sheet.

Also I am reminded that in Prisoners of the Sun, Tintin rescues everyone from sacrifice by a sun-worship tribe b/c he knows about an eclipse and they don't and, like, talk about the height of pompous colonialist nonsense. Yea yea the fuckin tribe that's been worshipping the sun for thousands of years totally has never seen an eclipse bro, that's just great writing :allears:

This (and Twain’s) is inspired by Chris Columbus loving over some natives with his table of lunar eclipses.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Here's my totality shot

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I made a huge viewer box and a driver stopped her car to tell me I had the best one she’d ever seen.

The eclipse was fine but that made my day

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

LaserPrinter69 posted:

My eyes feel like I'm sitting in front of a campfire and I have dark spots in the center of my vision, but the 90% coverage was rad as hell. Amazing how freaking bright just 10% of the sun is.

Did you do the thing that everyone except the crazy fundamentalists warned you not to do?

Content: Got up to about 94% eclipse at my home, so me and the kids (suspiciously both out sick from school today) had a great time looking through pinhole cameras and our eclipse glasses, as well as at the moment of highest eclipse looking at the weird shadows, enjoying the odd nature of the light and the very noticeable temperature drop, etc. Good time. Maybe someday in my dotage I'll travel to a totality.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Y'all's totality pics are less grainy than my cell phone ones and I'm jealous. :mad:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Platystemon posted:

This (and Twain’s) is inspired by Chris Columbus loving over some natives with his table of lunar eclipses.

that's an interesting thing I didn't know; Twain turned it on its head. Herge sorta blundered by making it a literal sun worship cult which stretches the credibility a bit.

In Herge's defense later in his career he expressed remorse for at least some of his racial depictions. It certainly seems like West supremacist silliness in places but I don't think it's irredeemable. I'm biased by having grown up with it, and thinking the art is great and detailed and interesting (when it's not detailed racist caricatures which definitely pop up).

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 8, 2024

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Y'all's totality pics are less grainy than my cell phone ones and I'm jealous. :mad:

Yeah I tried briefly with my phone and it was awful so I just basked in the halo instead. And probably stared at the diamond rings unprotected too long

I did send my drone up and recorded the horizon. I'll try to upload that footage later, no idea if it got anything interesting or not tho

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool
We had brilliant weather up in the Adirondacks for it. The diamond ring/pink solar flare was amazing, but the 360 degree sunset/sunrise effect was otherworldly. It was crazy taking a moment to scan the horizon and seeing that in all directions.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

but anyway screw you, Obama, your chemtrails didn't stop me

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Lord Hydronium posted:

the part I didn't expect, that pictures just can't prepare you for, is looking up when totality hits and seeing this goddamn hole in the sky surrounded by ethereal light where the sun should be. I totally get why eclipses have caused religious experiences. It looks like nothing else in the world, absolutely incredible.

This was my second total eclipse after driving to see the 2017 one and this is the truth. There's no describing it. Pictures and videos don't even come close. It's an intensely emotional experience even if you're not religious. There's nothing like seeing the sun's corona with your own eyeballs and darkness in the middle of the day.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I made an album of photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBkKYx

Totality was really cool.

Eclipse-20240408-24 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I also dug out a camcorder and made a terrible Dad video, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kWa34w4aZI

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Holy poo poo you can see coronal ejections in that photo

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

TomR posted:

I made an album of photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBkKYx

Totality was really cool.

Eclipse-20240408-24 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I also dug out a camcorder and made a terrible Dad video, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kWa34w4aZI

This is so neat because I noticed the little bump at the bottom in my photo and thought it was just a weird blur thing, and then saw that my wife's photo also looked like a comma, so looking at your photo where you can really see that it's actual sunfire poking out puts the sun's brightness into even more perspective. Thanks for sharing! Really wish I had known how dark it would be so I could've had my dslr ready on the tripod.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
My obligatory shot

Watching the traffic map as everyone drove two hours from the big city and then back has been very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I’m mad jealous of people who were in the totality, thanks everyone for the descriptions!

Where I am it was only around 55% but I did have the special glasses this time and I viewed a bunch of little crescents with my vegetable steamer basket.