Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That was AMAZING. I had this perfect spot, way up in the mountains, overlooking a lake.

And just pure BLUE STEEL sky, unreal.

That moment when totality hit, and there was a primal noise from the crowd.... something I've never heard, not like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My area was about 90-91%. That was really cool though. First time I saw an eclipse without the box viewer thing.

I put my glasses over my phone and got this amazing pic. :haw:

I did take a pic of myself though and I think that little reflection on my chin in the pic is where it was at.

It didn't get very dark even at 90%. You could definitely tell though. Everything started getting yellow, then kinda orangish.

It was neat.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Got a short little video too!

https://i.imgur.com/7X3rdfA.mp4

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cool observations: Right before totality, the light was strange. Flat, muted. But right after totality, when it should be the same percentage of sunlight as just before, the light was sharp, bright. Shadows were like in HD. This probably has something to do with eyes adjusting to light/darkness, but it was so drastic and different.

Sun flares! There was a big one at like 7 o'clock, and as totality almost ended, another one appeared at 4 o'clock or so.

I did not see any Bailey's Beads. Did anyone else?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

That was AMAZING. I had this perfect spot, way up in the mountains, overlooking a lake.

And just pure BLUE STEEL sky, unreal.

That moment when totality hit, and there was a primal noise from the crowd.... something I've never heard, not like that.

im glad you convinced me to take the hour trip. it was basically mindblowing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im glad you convinced me to take the hour trip. it was basically mindblowing

Cool! Did the clouds cooperate?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Cool! Did the clouds cooperate?

yup, as if coordinating with the eclipse. it was clearing as we drove, and clear blue skies when we got there, about 30 mins before totality. about 10 mins after totality the clouds started rolling in. near perfect timing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

yup, as if coordinating with the eclipse. it was clearing as we drove, and clear blue skies when we got there, about 30 mins before totality. about 10 mins after totality the clouds started rolling in. near perfect timing

Hell yeah! That's awesome. Lifetime memory/experience.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Kicks rear end.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I got to see it in the Akron area, I also saw the 2017 one. They are awesome experiences, sorry to those who got lovely weather.

Same; saw it while at work in Cuyahoga Falls. I was pleasantly surprised that work closed for about 40 minutes to let everyone watch if they wanted to. Of course, we had a couple people stay inside because "Eh, I've seen it before." Like, you're getting paid to stand in the parking lot, eat brownies and watch a rare celestial event, dork!

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
I traveled to see totality in 2017 and just happened to be in 99.5% coverage for this eclipse. Really interesting seeing what difference that tiny sliver of sun makes. It got super cold, a sort of surreal and flat light moments away from total dark. But it fell short of the 360 degree sunset with emerging stars and corona of full totality. Fascinating what a big difference it makes. Luckily I was able to convince 3 family members to travel several hours north to experience the full effect and they're reporting the mindblowing stuff I remember. Space is so cool

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Djt stock down by 10% and an eclipse confirm. Conspiracy I see????

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I can absolutely understand how sun religions were created now. I think looking up at a giant black hole in the sky surrounded by a glowing halo was the closest thing to a religious experience I've had.

Haystack posted:

Saw the totality, that was really cool. There was a distinctly red flare or something on the bottom, was not expecting that.

Yea, does anyone here know what that red dot was? Was it a coronal flare?

EDIT: whoops should have kept reading, thanks.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 9, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vernii posted:

I can absolutely understand how sun religions were created now. I think looking up at a giant black hole in the sky surrounded by a glowing halo was the closest thing to a religious experience I've had.

Yea, does anyone here know what that red dot was? Was it a coronal flare?

Solar flare.

remembertorelax
Aug 16, 2023
I was within earshot of a school, and the kids yelled with pure excitement for the entire totality. I can't even imagine how fun it must be to be 8 years old and have that experience with all your friends.

Any advice from people who traveled? How bad was it trying to get a place to stay? Like, if I want to take a carload of people and we're willing to watch from 30+ miles outside the optimal path and stay at a hotel an hour outside of that, would prices be normal or still crazy? What's the smart move on how to travel for total solar eclipses, now that I had my first hit and I'm totally addicted?

And is a lunar eclipse anywhere near this neat?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the coolest things about a total solar eclipse is it only exists in this "brief" window of time. This time now, and for a nice window around it. We are blessed to know it.

The Moon is moving, it used to be much much closer to Earth, way back when, and as such back then a total eclipse was a different phenomenon, the big old Moon just blocked the Sun for a while, darkness. It was cool, but not as cool.

The Moon keeps moving further away. A million years from now it will be too far to fully block the Sun - there will be an actual day this happens, that will be crazy. That day the Moon moves just a tad too far, and can no longer do a full solar eclipse.

But right now, the Moon is perfectly positioned and sized, such that when everything lines up, it perfectly blocks out the Sun to allow us to see the corona.

We are all blessed to be alive.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Not mine, but too neat to not share here

https://twitter.com/travolax/status/1777457644535435311

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

There's some cool shots in this AP round up, also an unfortunate amount of close ups of people's heads in eclipse glasses. I'm shocked how visible those flares are.
https://apnews.com/article/2024-total-solar-eclipse-photos-us-0a07725f59906849b00949e43177e6d9

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ralph Hurley posted:

I’m mad jealous of people who were in the totality, thanks everyone for the descriptions!

Where I am it was only around 55% but I did have the special glasses this time and I viewed a bunch of little crescents with my vegetable steamer basket.

I like how the pasta strainer thing is wide spread this time because there was probably a bunch of stupidity last time in 2017 or the 2023 oct. annular one

apparently the american public is tooo loving stupid to make a pin hole cam with either a foil or cardboard/thick paper.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 9, 2024

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's fun to see all those shapes. Why do you hate fun?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i use a tree to get my multi eclipse shadows

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Djt stock down by 10% and an eclipse confirm. Conspiracy I see????

Coincidentally every state in the path of totality is what Buydins will win this year. You heard it here first, folks!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

covidstomper58 posted:

Coincidentally every state in the path of totality is what Buydins will win this year. You heard it here first, folks!

In the 2000th year of the black sun we celebrated Joe Harkonnens victory over arakkis

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

In the 2000th year of the black sun we celebrated Joe Harkonnens victory over arakkis

Black Crusade Against the Sun and All That Draw Life from It

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Here's my lovely cell phone totality photo (with bonus Venus):

One of the things that's hard to capture in photos is just how bright and blazing the corona is.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Has anyone done this to the Waffle House image that's going viral yet?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Here's my lovely cell phone totality photo (with bonus Venus):

One of the things that's hard to capture in photos is just how bright and blazing the corona is.

Holy poo poo it was so amazing. One thing I’m curious about is if anyone has/will create some sort of CG “here’s the closest to what it looked like in real life” thing, because as mentioned pics do it ABSOLUTELY NO justice

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Croccers posted:

Has anyone done this to the Waffle House image that's going viral yet?

minus 10/10 for using the worse 3DS moon instead of the og n64 one or any highres ones.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol I'm trying to go to sleep and the pure existential experience of watching celestial bodies do their things is making me feel very, very tiny. I also feel like the sun peered right through my entire being even with the protective glasses. What a fuckin experience

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Lol I'm trying to go to sleep and the pure existential experience of watching celestial bodies do their things is making me feel very, very tiny. I also feel like the sun peered right through my entire being even when the protective glasses. What a fuckin experience

You know what's really cool? You, me, all of us, we're made up of the same exact stuff as the Sun. We're all made of the same big cloud.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

Holy poo poo it was so amazing. One thing I’m curious about is if anyone has/will create some sort of CG “here’s the closest to what it looked like in real life” thing, because as mentioned pics do it ABSOLUTELY NO justice

The only thing that would come close would be VR because the eclipse itself looks pretty much exactly like the pictures. The mind blowing bit is standing someplace and actually seeing that ring of light hanging in the sky while your brain is nagging you that something's off because all your life the only things that big you've seen up there are the sun and the moon, and that thing doesn't look like either one of those.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

minus 10/10 for using the worse 3DS moon instead of the og n64 one or any highres ones.
It's a waffle house, it doesn't deserve it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

remembertorelax posted:

And is a lunar eclipse anywhere near this neat?

Not at all, but they happen regularly and are visible from much larger areas of the surface of Earth, so you should certainly stay up late/wake up early/get up in the middle of the night if there’s one visible from your home and you’ve never seen one before.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have a cool AF Blood Moon Eclipse story, but it's only cool because of the story, not really because of the eclipse.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I liked this shot from Monument Circle in Indianapolis that was trending on reddit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Haystack posted:

I liked this shot from Monument Circle in Indianapolis that was trending on reddit.

gently caress yeah

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Haystack posted:

:hmmyes:

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost

Loden Taylor posted:

The only thing that would come close would be VR because the eclipse itself looks pretty much exactly like the pictures. The mind blowing bit is standing someplace and actually seeing that ring of light hanging in the sky while your brain is nagging you that something's off because all your life the only things that big you've seen up there are the sun and the moon, and that thing doesn't look like either one of those.

Very well articulated. Today was an awe-inspiring, humbling, unbelievable experience.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Went to Sugarbush in Vermont (one of the mountains was already closed to skiing) It was neat the vehicle next to us was playing themed music (ring of fire, walking on sunshine, rocketman). Was it worth the effort? Maybe, I'm undecided, but I am also not really the type who cares to do anything that requires any degree of effort. Sam's Wood Fire Pizza in Manchester finally opened back up and had a grand opening today so that was nice.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Duck and Cover posted:

Went to Sugarbush in Vermont (one of the mountains was already closed to skiing) It was neat the vehicle next to us was playing themed music (ring of fire, walking on sunshine, rocketman). Was it worth the effort? Maybe, I'm undecided, but I am also not really the type who cares to do anything that requires any degree of effort. Sam's Wood Fire Pizza in Manchester finally opened back up and had a grand opening today so that was nice.

hi person who passed within a couple dozen of miles of me during a weird day where the moon got in the way of the sun for a moment. I'm glad you got a good experience for your degree of effort, I also struggle in certain/most cases as relates to "leaving home".