Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

We took our son about 3 hours south to get to the path of totality, found a small park next to a lake and had a seat. The light was already changing, but it was more like a hazy day. But, yeah, very flat lighting. We watched a faded green design start to reappear on my son's shirt too, due to the Purkinje Effect.

I got some cool pictures on my phone of the process and then my husband got a great one on the big camera of totality. And then the batteries died on the camera. I have to wait until tonight to get new batteries and get those photos off the camera.

We were listening to birds and frogs as the eclipse began and then it got eerily quiet really fast. At one point, we had a 360 degree sunset, which was cool and weird. I was incredibly surprised at how quickly it got bright again afterwards.

And then it took us 6 hours to get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Nap Ghost

Loden Taylor posted:

The only thing that would come close would be VR because the eclipse itself looks pretty much exactly like the pictures. The mind blowing bit is standing someplace and actually seeing that ring of light hanging in the sky while your brain is nagging you that something's off because all your life the only things that big you've seen up there are the sun and the moon, and that thing doesn't look like either one of those.

The part that doesn't come across in pictures is the overall lighting and brightness. Like if a tiniest fraction of the actual sun peeks out from behind the moon, you can't look at it anymore, the sun is just so ridiculously bright. But when it's covered up just right the entire effect just transforms completely, it becomes some entirely new object from an alien world. Just looking at a photo where it goes from white pixels to dark pixels and the brightness is just scaled appropriately you just can never get a sense for what it's actually like in real life.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jonesing for more eclipse.

drat. I was looking forward to yesterday for YEARS. And now it's gone and done.

Time, what a thing....

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Right? My son was in my wife's belly for the one in 2017, and he's reading and poo poo now. It's crazy.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Jonesing for more eclipse.

drat. I was looking forward to yesterday for YEARS. And now it's gone and done.

Time, what a thing....

i was daydreaming about it on the drive home and then at night before bed lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i was daydreaming about it on the drive home and then at night before bed lol

I thought about it first thing this morning waking up. That moment of first totality.

Just how thrilling it was, everything. The crowds, the light, the Sun, obviously, the cold. Goosebumps.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol I'm still thinking of this young (18-21?) couple who walked by my camera during the full eclipse and on the video I can hear her saying to him "we don't have to worry, totality lasts a couple of minutes" as they are walking away at the beginning of totality from this awesome and out of the way location. Where they were going, what they were doing, I don't know. I'm just still miffed they bothered me right as it began. I respond on the video to the lady, sarcastically, "That's right". Dumbasses.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

BrideOfUglycat posted:

We were listening to birds and frogs as the eclipse began and then it got eerily quiet really fast.

The birds and squirrels kept doing their thing when the eclipse happened in my neighborhood. Maybe it was because people were yelling and blowing off firecrackers. A couple of my friends told me that it got really quiet and spooky around them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The farm I was at had a bunch of chickens and turkeys running around. We were hoping they'd lose their poo poo during totality but no such luck.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redshirt posted:

lol I'm still thinking of this young (18-21?) couple who walked by my camera during the full eclipse and on the video I can hear her saying to him "we don't have to worry, totality lasts a couple of minutes" as they are walking away at the beginning of totality from this awesome and out of the way location. Where they were going, what they were doing, I don't know. I'm just still miffed they bothered me right as it began. I respond on the video to the lady, sarcastically, "That's right". Dumbasses.

They were clearly going off to gently caress in order to create the antichrist, conceived in the moment where their fertilization could be hidden from God.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Nap Ghost
I thought of a good way to put it

Looking at a picture of a total eclipse is like looking at an actual total eclipse in the same way that looking at a picture of a sun is the same as staring directly at the sun with your eyeballs.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mozi posted:

I thought of a good way to put it

Looking at a picture of a total eclipse is like looking at an actual total eclipse in the same way that looking at a picture of a sun is the same as staring directly at the sun with your eyeballs.

Would you say you think about eyeballs a lot?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Nap Ghost
let's just say i had issues finding eclipse glasses that fit

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
It was really awesome, I just wish I had been on mushrooms.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I was on a good amount of edible THC and it was really fun :420:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I drove to the midwest from the east coast to see it, totally worth it. The crowd was something like 1/6th of what the town I went to predicted, so no excessive crowding or traffic whatsoever, which was nice.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Wife and I rented a cabin in southern Oklahoma for the weekend. When clouds came over where we were, we ended up chasing sunlight north. Ended up standing in the parking lot of a meat market in tiny Smithville, OK being absolutely awed by the eclipse.

Found out later that the clouds had cleared out back where we started.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nocheez posted:

Right? My son was in my wife's belly for the one in 2017, and he's reading and poo poo now. It's crazy.

My mom was alive for the 2017 eclipse, and now she's dead and we had a whole global pandemic. And I'm still an unemployed fat gently caress and not a rich billionaire CEO with a family and an attractive wife.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Congrats on the new human!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I. M. Gei posted:

My mom was alive for the 2017 eclipse, and now she's dead and we had a whole global pandemic. And I'm still an unemployed fat gently caress and not a rich billionaire CEO with a family and an attractive wife.

Don’t worry Nocheez’ son will be a billionaire CEO with a family and an attractive wife for all of us.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I also have found myself just lying in bed the last two nights not being able to sleep, just thinking about it. And wanting to talk to everyone about it.

I’m like a fuckin character in a love craft story that saw into another dimension and it broke his brain and he just wants to do nothing but rave about the worlds he’s seen

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

I also have found myself just lying in bed the last two nights not being able to sleep, just thinking about it. And wanting to talk to everyone about it.

I’m like a fuckin character in a love craft story that saw into another dimension and it broke his brain and he just wants to do nothing but rave about the worlds he’s seen

Yep.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Wife and I rented a vrbo in Arkansas, right in the path. We saw the whole thing from the back yard. The birds and crickets didn't get quiet during it, but we did hear a group of people cheer a few blocks over.

I had looked away for a moment, so I missed it entering totality. When I looked back, I freaked out for a moment because I couldn't see anything. Took off the glasses, and that's when I saw one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

Lol exactly my experience. The corona glowing and dancing is burned into my brain and I keep reliving it. What a crazy fuckin experience

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Lol exactly my experience. The corona glowing and dancing is burned into my brain and I keep reliving it. What a crazy fuckin experience

Yep. I know we're two days removed now, but I am still very much in the "Did you see the Sun blot out?" mode. It was so amazing.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

bradzilla posted:

Yeah when I saw the one in 2012, that was my experience as well.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I was surprised how noticeably colder it got once the sun was like 85% or so occluded. I assumed perceived temperature was mostly down to air temp which wouldn't just change immediately like that.

The birds/cricket thing didn't happen, though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I was surprised how noticeably colder it got once the sun was like 85% or so occluded. I assumed perceived temperature was mostly down to air temp which wouldn't just change immediately like that.

Yeah I noticed the temperature change too. It was an amazing 61 before it started. It got noticeably cold in the thick of the eclipse, I wish I knew what the temperature was.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Nap Ghost
It makes you appreciate how goddamn hot the sun is for being so far away.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

It was like 80 where I was at the start and was definitely down to the 60s by totality. About the only things I didn't notice were the baily's beads and the purkinje effect. I kinda just forgot all about them because I was losing my poo poo in the minutes leading to totality and them totality itself was indescribably incredible

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mozi posted:

Yeah the Sun is all that. But you know what's truly cool? The Sun is our brother/sister. We're all made of exactly the same stuff at the same time. So the Sun isn't some ancient God of mystery or whatever, he/she's one of us! Another lad in the neighborhood. Though of course with formidable shine.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

Bright, too. The earth has no natural lighting and the entirety of what we see in the daytime is from the sun

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Lol goddamn I'm so thankful for my experience. We had planned to take the entire day driving from where we were staying to a town with max totality. We realized on Sunday that when booking the Vrbo a year ago that it was already inside the path! It just had 2m 45s instead of max totality of 4m in the dead center. We slept in, had a nice breakfast, walked to the small town's tiny festival, walked back and watched the eclipse for 2 hours. The weather was perfection - warm, breezy and cloudless. I had a solar filter for my telescope and got it setup while partial ramped up. I used a spatula and observed crescent shadows, had a drink and experienced giddiness like I haven't in a very long time. Totality itself was an epic spiritual, humbling experience. And when it was all done, I packed up and went inside the house. And then spent two more days with my wife and SIL seeing other things. I just got home about an hour ago. No traffic, no hassle, a lifetime experience and memories.

I have friends who went elsewhere who day tripped to see it and drove 16 hours to get home after. Lol gently caress that poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

redshirt posted:

Yeah the Sun is all that. But you know what's truly cool? The Sun is our brother/sister. We're all made of exactly the same stuff at the same time. So the Sun isn't some ancient God of mystery or whatever, he/she's one of us! Another lad in the neighborhood. Though of course with formidable shine.

*takes away redshirt's bong* Okay, this guy's had enough.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

Lol goddamn I'm so thankful for my experience. We had planned to take the entire day driving from where we were staying to a town with max totality. We realized on Sunday that when booking the Vrbo a year ago that it was already inside the path! It just had 2m 45s instead of max totality of 4m in the dead center. We slept in, had a nice breakfast, walked to the small town's tiny festival, walked back and watched the eclipse for 2 hours. The weather was perfection - warm, breezy and cloudless. I had a solar filter for my telescope and got it setup while partial ramped up. I used a spatula and observed crescent shadows, had a drink and experienced giddiness like I haven't in a very long time. Totality itself was an epic spiritual, humbling experience. And when it was all done, I packed up and went inside the house. And then spent two more days with my wife and SIL seeing other things. I just got home about an hour ago. No traffic, no hassle, a lifetime experience and memories.

I have friends who went elsewhere who day tripped to see it and drove 16 hours to get home after. Lol gently caress that poo poo.

That sounds absolutely amazing my man, wow! Congrats.

I of course knew about this eclipse for many years, I am so very close to totality. But not quite, so I knew I'd have to travel, and for years I assumed there would be clouds and I'd have to scramble to see anything.

And the day comes and Maine is the most cloudless place in the path of totality, like some miracle. I truly thanked whatever system exists that creates me, you, us, and this eclipse on a perfectly cloud free day in early April in the mountains.....

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Nap Ghost
anyone want to start up some kind of sun cult?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mozi posted:

anyone want to start up some kind of sun cult?

I'm in.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren:

Uncensored balls of totality right here:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/solar-eclipse-testicles/

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Best I noticed was a fairly confused-looking cardinal flitting around yelling about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I saw a bald eagle cruising above the line of traffic on the road right after.