Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

lot of new faces due to the excitement of wrestlmania so I propose we make a repository of modern insider wrestling fan terms for newbies/lapsed fans:

e-fed: a fan only familiar with mainstream American wrestling
sexton hardcastle: a wrestler must spend six nights in low quality motels before their next day off
shoot: a double-legged takedown
worked himself into a shoot: a man falling over his own feet
cmftr: short for “cum farter,” a term of endearment
gimmick (noun): the noun form of gimmick (verb)
blue kane: to umask (ie make nude) your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

babyface: the face a fan makes when they are unhappy with a result
heel: the thing retired professional wrestler Tony Atlas really likes
tweener: the thing professional wrestler Austin Theory really likes

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Mark: my friend I watch wrestling with every week

Smark: A furry little cat dude who hangs out with Lion-O

A Fancy Hat posted:

tweener: the thing professional wrestler Austin Theory really likes

:drat:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

work: what i avoid doing by posting on here all day

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

the drizzling shits: when the sprinkler system is hooked up to the septic line and it's triggered by pyro by accident

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Going Broadway: when a match slows down to allow wrestlers to vocally communicate the story to each other and the audience, often accompanied by exaggerated dance-like movements.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Blading: when a wrestler (or manager) comments on motherfuckers trying to ice skate uphill

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Outlaw Mudshow: side effect of a Z-pack

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Missile Assault Ant: blew up a bus full of children in Zimbabwe.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Dusty Finish: When you’re watching a wrestling show at the armory and the A/C turns on and blows a bunch of crud out of the vents that’s been sitting there for a few months.

Face Turn: When you look in a different direction during a match, because 2 drunk guys are shoving each other in the crowd.

Pop: What you drink during a show if you’re abstaining from alcohol

Re-sign and resign: Both can (and should!) be used interchangeably. Such as “Matt Hardy just resigned with AEW” or “Matt Hardy just re-signed with AEW”

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

the iggy synonym for the office

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Spotfest: what wrestlers see after taking an unprotected head shot.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
SLOM: "So, like our match?" A common question for wrestlers to ask the audience during a bout to confirm that they're doing a good job.

Turn: Later subtitled "Washington's Spies," this was a period historical drama about espionage during the American Revolutionary War. Starring Jamie Bell, the series ran for 4 seasons on AMC from 2014-2017.

Going Over: What the mountain climber ("Hans") does in the Price is Right game "Cliff Hangers" if the contestant overestimates the cost of the item. You don't want that to happen!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
A schmozz is just carny-speak for a wrestler's nose

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

That Dang Dad posted:

A schmozz is just carny-speak for a wrestler's nose

Following on this, a Spotfest can occur after one of those is punched.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Iggy: give me it

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Indie: A wrestling promotion that exclusively operates indoors

Kayfabe: A Pokémon from one of those generations that I skipped. They're Normal/Fairy, I think.

The Book: Every wrestling company is required to keep a large, leather-bound vellum tome where all matches and results are recorded for posterity. "Having The Book" is a position of great responsibility that can drive lesser minds mad, and The Book must always be defended against unscrupulous wrestlers who want to rewrite its contents to change the past.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

The M.U.T.A Scale

It stands for Mavens Undertaker Tossing Ability. It for judging wrestlers exits during only during the royal rumble

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Chickenwing: A derisive term for a wrestler who doesn't get booked for matches but always shows up to eat chicken wings in catering.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

"Dirtsheet": derogatory term for obsessive insider wrestling fans. refers to the severe untenable lack of cleanliness of their living conditions and personal hygiene

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Freebird rule; show your pecker no problem

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Pencil: Lulu

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Going into business for oneself: when a wrestler makes enough to retire and invests their earnings in a startup company

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Iggy: also known as The Office

The Office: A hit American sitcom

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Catch wrestling: Lucha Libre

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023
Pro Wrestling: An upgraded version of wrestling capable of running some matches at a steady 60fps at 1080p or with a variable frame rate at 4k.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Jobber: a lighthearted term for anyone who’s working that night

Midcarder: In the old days, wrestlers would play cards to pass the time before a show. If the show started while you were dealing, the game became “stuck in the midcard”, and anyone playing was a “midcarder”.

Premium Live Event: A money laundering scheme

Squash Match: The annual Halloween match that always involves a pumpkin, also known as a squash or gourd

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Thunder Dome: A bald wrestler

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

I'm fairly sure the Iggy is a skeleton based poster on these fine forums

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

fez_machine posted:

Thunder Dome: A bald wrestler

I'm also fairly sure that this means really fast, very hard head

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Worked Shoot: A double leg take down that transitions into a submission or similar wear-down hold.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Fire Russo: You may hear this chant pop up during some shows from both WCW and TNA. It’s referring to “Fire Russo”, a very popular wrestler who would get “fired up” by the crowd and was famous for being wildly unpredictable in the ring.

WCW: World Class Wrestling. It made a million mistakes and was always bad, eventually destroyed when HHH drove a tank to a show and scared everyone so bad they signed with the underdog, WWF.

WWF: Former name of WWE, they had to change it after a panda was injured in the ring and they spent so much money they couldn’t afford the F any more and had to downgrade to an E.

TNA: Tits N rear end Wrestling, also the containment zone of Scott Steiner for many years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Catch wrestling: Lucha Libre

Alternatively, what The Miz doesn’t do

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

ring psychology: having an operatic, wagnerian quality
FMW: a regrettable period in video game wrestling history
attitude era: spacetime coordinate system for match choreography

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

Blading: Doing a vampire gimmick.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Majinfoose posted:

I'm also fairly sure that this means really fast, very hard head

It's a bald wrestler with very strong cardio that can run around the ring at high speeds.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

fake diesel: feinting a run
fake razor: a blood capsule

JethroMcB posted:

Indie: A wrestling promotion that exclusively operates indoors

lol

Trying fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 9, 2024

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Play : Adjective, Activity common among big boys

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

carny: joint malady brought on by excessive travel
corny: alzheimer’s/dementia
fake kane: republican in name only
shoot style: dressing up in your fanciest ring gear
lore of the fiend: nonsense talk of a habitual cocaine user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
W*ING style: japanese chicken restaurant equivalent of Ribera, frequented by Jon Moxley
hard cam: photo angle used for crowd estimates
receipt: proof of purchase, burned to deny ownership of wrestling merchandise
King's Road: long meandering 20+min tale, as narrated by the 'wizard of schnoz' Triple H
four pillars: coke, weed, beer, somas - the 'four pillars' of 80s/90s wrestling

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Going Broadway: