Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I have an old Moto Z phone (XT-1650-03, for what it's worth) that's been lying around since ... I wanna say 2019(?) because the battery kept rapidly losing its charge within hours after 2-3 years of use. Just a lovely batch, I guess.

I can still charge it to 100% within an hour (goes to about 50% almost immediately after plugging it in), when fully charged it will lose charge fairly quickly to about 50% in 60-80 minutes, then it sits steady at 50% for another 2 hours before it will eventually shut off and immediately show zero charge when I try to turn it back on.

When charging, it gets a bit warm, but not hot.
The Moto Z chassis is quite slim and there are no bulges that would indicate the battery is swelling or anything.

Would it be safe to keep this plugged in or connected to a power bank once it's charged and repurpose it as a webcam or a remote for a soundsystem or am I at risk for setting this thing on fire that way? How safe are batteries that have trouble holding a charge? Maybe it's just a faulty battery sensor?

Or should I just chuck it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU