Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

This is really the level of discourse you think is fun to post at as an elderly person?

It's crazy that Willa has cooked their entire brain on the NY Post and still runs circles around so many of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

No one actually likes the new Beyonce album. The good reviews are out of touch liberals and the hoi polloi are mostly clowning on that Jolene cover.

The good doctor just won my vote

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

My wife showed me the lead single from it and my reaction was "I would probably like this if you showed it to me and told me it was some new folk-rock artist instead of Beyonce" so I should probably give the album an honest shot tbh

The best songs on it are all Motown/Funk style, the country stuff is mostly cringe. She paid Willy Nelson and Dolly Parton to do some horrible spoken word intros and then has Miley Cyrus and Post Malone for actual features on songs. It's just not good and I really would have rather seen her try to do a real country album over this mishmash of stuff.

Anyways, everyone should listen to the absolutely insane Jolene cover. It's like if you did a cover of "Yesterday" and changed the lyrics to "Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, and they still are bitch, slay. Nothing getting me down"

https://youtu.be/x9XHMK3nWr4?si=5K_QcjJKDQq09Tqj

Edit: YA YA is my favorite song from it and it is absolutely not a country song

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

:dafuq:

Dolly signed off on this?

Dolly recorded an intro to the song that starts with "Hey Miss Honey Bee, this is Dolly P. You know, that hussy with the good hair you sang about reminded me of someone I knew back when"

And then she signed all the checks so she could put them into the bank

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I always love when a pop star is like "I'm gonna put out a country album now" and writes the most surface level garbage and puts on a slight twang and calls it a day

if you're gonna really stretch yourself artistically work with like... The Handsome Family or something

I honestly want to hear the Beyonce+Gillian Welch+Abigail Washburn album that exists in another universe

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nichael posted:

it'd be nice if people sunk this much time into helping poor people and climate change

lol ok this is dumb as gently caress. Succ equivalent of "Why don't they spend time helping veterans"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

i'm mostly worried about the zoomers who developed fake tics or say things like PogChamp out loud

I don't think fake tics are a generational thing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Succ thread on some good poo poo today, why does language change and is it to make me feel old and dead?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I always assumed they never described the ocean as blue because it's almost never really a blue color and almost always more of a green/grey or reflecting the sun and gold/orange/red. It's not that blue

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nichael posted:

i guess but this post is more indicative of what i was thinking. i just didn't care to elaborate because i do not care [to elaborate {:effort:}]

I think it's mostly genderqueer people wanting a term that's not binary. Japanese has developed new terms for gender for similar reasons

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Clearly they exist without modifying the language. If they are, by definition, non binary, then they’re actually defined most clearly by the binary continuing to exist.

Yeah dude they just want a label for themselves that they like

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They're Canadian

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Blockade posted:

What do these people think the point of the trolley problem is?

Win

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

also that it's brutalist architecture

the milk machine posted:

that's just ugly modern

Yeah, that's ugly modern/a weird new neo-neo-federalist style that seems to be developing with these big box buildings covered in marble facades. It's explicitly not brutalist because it has this big marble facade covering the actual structure of the building

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

She meant genocide

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I hate this

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I mean, he's correct inasmuch as pedos were held to a different standard--none at all!--back when he & I were growing up.

My parents hired a 30-something neighbor to babysit their four girls (2 of us teens) while they went on vacation for a week, even tho the guy had "dated" a 14 yr old previously, and even though he had a habit of exposing himself while facing my sister's bedroom (both of which my parents knew).

Bill Maher isn't smart enough to do the math that the reason all the media he grew up on portrayed too young women as sexy is because most of the people producing it were out and proud pedophiles. Also ya know.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nonsense posted:

they were confiscated at border patrol checkpoints

Interior checkpoints that are pretty much an abuse of the border patrol being allowed to operate within 100 miles of the border. They were not literal border checkpoints for anyone who did not read it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh yeah it's complete nonsense and an admin serious about legalization would be instructing border patrol to ignore state licensed sellers because that is a thing they could do right now

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

It's 200 miles from all borders and airports, OP.

No

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/border-zone#:~:text=A%20federal%20law%20says%20that,also%20the%20entire%20U.S.%20coastline.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm 50/50 on this specific case but it's so funny that they think you're an idiot for suspecting a thing that has happened multiple times has happened again. Just entirely vibes about how the world works and what can and can't happen.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I know Yglesias is paid to be that way, but do you think he knows it?

Like, when he comes up with contrarian takes that are annoying and pedantic to support the status quo, is he punching the clock, or does he really think it's a good idea?

He thinks he's very intelligent because he thinks unique thoughts no one else has had

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't watch any of his stuff (I'm an ableist who's weirded out by his vocal disability) but I would caution you against going by "what the media show" bc it's in both parties' interests to brand him as an antivax nutter & ignore his stated platform.

I'm not voting for him but he's pulling respectable numbers in polling, which merits political junkies like us to find out why, imo. Younger people aren't antivax yet a lot of them are drawn to him, and I've been baffled as to why.

I think a lot of it has to do with "a pox on both their houses" sentiment, unsurprisingly, and he's definitely (and wisely) exploiting that sentiment. This was his first campaign ad six months ago.

He was the chairman of Children's Health Defense who explicitly believed that vaccines cause autism.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Trump has called him a left wing radical compared to Joe

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This was pages ago, but you have a point. I am very apathetic about the election but I'd probably regret if I didn't kick a vote to Stein, who is far more deserving of it than Biden.

Most states have rules on the books about parties and The support they get based on the percentage of votes they get so at the least vote 3rd party so that they change the rules and a few people crack ping from it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Those people have always existed but as the party loses people the only ones left are the ones who have that home team mentality.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think it's a conscious strategy by most of the people engaging in it, but they definitely want the same ecstatic feeling of being part of a crusading movement. And like Gumball said, as the Party sheds loyalty from ordinary reasonable people, the ones left are the kind of person who spends an entire football game wearing a costume and screaming at the top of their lungs.

I think part of it is also that the Party lacks vision, and to the extent that they have one, it's quite bleak. If you reject both the Left and the Right, the Center is just a sucking void, unless you inject its hollow propaganda with mysticism and make a virtual religion of it.

Yeah, that's definitely another part of it too. The lack of vision requires you to then invent these fantasies about how they're helping if you're a homer. But I remember people like this during Obama's second term so I don't think it's that new, just increasing and getting worse as the party and government in general hollows out. Your two choices are to stop believing or start believing with the most belief you've ever had.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I can't tell if Yglesias is being serious. On one hand, he's saying something completely insane and deranged, but it sounds like even his buddies couldn't figure out if he was joking (and it makes zero sense as a joke, since it's literally just "proposing the US invade a country"). And he says "evan as a joke" which implies it isn't?

Haha just joking... unless

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

quote:

Argentine immigrant, married to a White American colonizer, oppressed for 21 years and loving it, looking forward to another 21

I ❤️🇺🇸🇮🇱

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

The curiosity has been killing me so I put the question of if Jewish Voice for Peace has been kicked off of NGP VAN yet

It wouldn't shock me

Still using VAN donation tools

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

The exact answer I got was "Not yet!" which...lmao if 'yet' ends up being the operative word

Yeah, the yet is very funny. If you thought it was something you wouldn't entertain you would say so by now. Absolutely a matter of time

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm glycine-pilled

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think that's the first time Joe has ever said he made up the drunk driving poo poo. His brain really is cooked.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rectal Death Alert posted:

if you mean my quote i was joking

Joe Biden would never openly admit to the crimes he is 100% guilty of like trying to frame an innocent man out of vengeance or when he actually raped Tara Reade

drat

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I guess. :corsair:

the first time I saw it was some woman putting on clown makeup while talking about britney in the doc about her guardianship & it was so loving distracting.

It's a whole genre, get ready with me, GRWM. Some of them are a way to give visual content to a story, some are memes making fun of that, some are weird and horny.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Many people
Died like a dog

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Re-education camps for the evil students but everyone is too lazy to actually do anything

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

As antisemitism flourishes online, and religion is weaponized and politicized, it’s a “Sonic the Hedgehog” show (?!?!) that lights the prayer candle we need.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/obsessed/knuckles-is-the-show-jews-need-right-nowseriously

That uniquely Jewish experience of a day of rest

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just don't read either of them because they suck. Seems easy. Maybe it's not?

It is really funny that which New York daily you read is a country wide culture war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

Wait the plot of that garbage civil war movie was that the president ran and won a third term and then disbanded the fbi? And I thought you couldn't get any more lib succ than a movie about the brave journalists that sacrifice everything to bring you both sides.

The plot is "It's a mad mad mad mad world" except they're all racing to get a picture of the President being shot in the head.