Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I should clarify that holding hands and stuff is nice, and is like a spiritual, family thing, and it should be allowed, idk encouraged if they like their family, but if the patient thinks they're asking for the sacrament of Anointing of the Sick, that's the sort of thing you have to get right, for their sake, and to honour their wishes (as far as the intention of their wishes, not their specific request).

Well I guess it depends on what you are talking about.

If they are asking for that ritual, but they don't know exactly what it comprises, because they are a layperson who isn't expected to know that kind of esoteric thing, then it is reasonable to infer that they want you to do the ritual correctly even if they couldn't tell you what is correct or not.

But if they say they don't want that formal stuff, and they think a woo-woo crystal session with their family instead is just fine with God, who are you to say no you have Anglican printed on this tag and I'm not going to let you fall into heresy.

If your judgment is better than a layman why stop there. Surely your judgment is also better than a lay Catholic's right (they've already shown poor judgment by picking the wrong religion anyway), so shouldn't they have to get the Anglican rite too?

Anyway so it's not quite clear to me whether you are describing the first situation or the second. The first, yes I agree, the second ehhhh

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The ruling class must really be getting nervous about the pro-Palestine protesting now, given that they're suspending students for having consciences.

They're trying to break the back of the movement before the conventions and the home stretch of the election season

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/abennett97/status/1780933225990217775

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nothus posted:

They're trying to break the back of the movement before the conventions and the home stretch of the election season

Hadn't thought of that angle, but it won't work. Suspended students will just have more time to protest :getin:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

obama's obelisk has started going up in chicago.

It's going to dominate the lakefront view south of the loop.
Who can forget that famous quote from President Barack Hussein Obamna?

"A KNCESTRY D CSNVAN II BN WHF SYND H I I OF GHI IA N TH JS CAFN I I SI WPS IS BA IW GRE IND IB MGRFBRVDGNS MSRICV IS NG I M GNF PT RSGN IF MGS I I POW VRDRMGCRCY VX THX PRGP I F VFYRS WQ CYN RD BX NC ONX RYGNF GH WH SK WY VRF GIV Y IRX TF TMPR AIIVN IF OTRTS"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Did he then go on to describe the gigantic iron pot his grandpa and Bugs Bunny were being cooked in?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Israel was praising Columbia by name as the only US university fighting antisemitism, I’m curious what’s going on there.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

dumb post

veepfake has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Apr 18, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

VitalSigns posted:

no you have Anglican printed on this tag and I'm not going to let you fall into heresy.

Personally, I would see that as my responsibility, falling under spiritual care, but that’s admittedly not what the province is trying to do with these guidelines.

They headlines during the angel of mercy trial that ensued would be funny at least, “rogue spiritual care worker secretly administered holy water to patient”.

I think this is the main part where I’m bumping into “what is this for, and how seriously do we take it?”

e: anyway, this may just be trying to save MH care costs, talk people into organ donations or MAiD, in which case the actual theology is moot.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's cool that the Biden Foundation achieved its mission and shut down.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Nichael posted:

"A KNCESTRY D CSNVAN II BN WHF SYND H I I OF GHI IA N TH JS CAFN I I SI WPS IS BA IW GRE IND IB MGRFBRVDGNS MSRICV IS NG I M GNF PT RSGN IF MGS I I POW VRDRMGCRCY VX THX PRGP I F VFYRS WQ CYN RD BX NC ONX RYGNF GH WH SK WY VRF GIV Y IRX TF TMPR AIIVN IF OTRTS"

you fool you spoke the summoning words for the King in Yellow

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
the king of piss

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The ruling class must really be getting nervous about the pro-Palestine protesting now, given that they're suspending students for having consciences.

i think its a hind-brain reflex of a dying hegemony more than elite anxiety. unable to saturate the media narrative sufficiently to make wrongthink impossible, the reflexive move is (and always has been) to go straight to punitive measures and violence if people persist.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Biden Foundation website is as dead as Beau Biden.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

lol it's always funny for the guy who helped utterly destroy american industry talk about steel

we slapped massive steel tarrifs on everything so whoopsie now it comes in the form of finished parts

nuked two domestic industries for the price of one

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

"Abortion and reproductive rights, however, has been a stronger platform for Harris. She has traveled across the nation to act as the White House representative on the issue, which has proven to be a winning strategy for Democrats in the wake of the Supreme Court's 2022 Dobbs decision."

Ah, yes, a proven win as evidenced by an election that has not happened yet.

The Sean has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Apr 18, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

They ripped out America’s backbone and replaced it with a prosthetic made from a metal poorly chosen for the particular task?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Some Guy TT posted:

you signed right

Of course

raisin kane
Dec 26, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

They ripped out America’s backbone and replaced it with a prosthetic made from a metal poorly chosen for the particular task?

I promised my son, bane

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The Sean has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Apr 18, 2024

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
joe biden threatens to paralyze and ram a steel rod down everyone's throat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Harik posted:

lol it's always funny for the guy who helped utterly destroy american industry talk about steel

we slapped massive steel tarrifs on everything so whoopsie now it comes in the form of finished parts

nuked two domestic industries for the price of one

i was working in steel/scrap and lost my job when china stopped needing to buy american scrap metal lol

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

It’s really the most substantive thing he’s ever said.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Ecce dicentis

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

as a monument to the most expensive and flashy kind of mediocre insufficiency, it's kind of perfect

also that it's brutalist architecture

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
obama should just put all the meme quotes on there. gotta have them ribs, buy your own drat fries, ethereal bisexual, we tortured some folk

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that's just ugly modern

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

how many goated with the jugs pic does the ultimate nancy pelosi fan have

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

should've used this pic instead

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was just at a conference where someone presented a paper on spiritual care in hospitals, and said he was surprised that the hospitals' policies adhere to the written doctrine of their faiths, the argument being that we have to take people just as seriously when they believe in idiosyncratic volkish woo woo because they had an incomplete catechesis, as opposed to providing care their faith proscribes.

My opinion was that if someone is an Anglican, and we're taking their spiritual care seriously, we have to adhere to the Anglican Church, and not someone who has confused their yoga practice with the actual doctrine of their faith. I don't like the Book of Concord, but if we're taking the metaphysical perspective that spiritual care matters, we need to be thorough in its administration. A physician does not prescribe what the patient thinks they need, he provides them with the correct medication, in consultation with a pharmacist. So, I said, cuius regio, eius religio. Whatever religion you claim to profess, will be taken seriously, and thoroughly, and you ought to receive the best, and that means most correct, as we've accepted the premise that your soul is on the line, spiritual care possible.

This led to a whole thing about respecting people's beliefs, but again, if people believe they are Anglican, and believe they are dying, or otherwise need to work through the spiritual care team, then to take their belief seriously, it needs to be engaged with as a serious ideology and practice, and correctly, so that they receive the unction of the sick - not (just) allowing their relatives to all hold hands in a circle or whatever, because that's Anglicanism as they understand it. Cuius regio, eius religio, the Ottomans figured this out with the Millet. To incorporate religious practice and the law, the state needs a system to work though.

My argument was, it's more respectful of their beliefs to take those beliefs more seriously, and administer care more correctly, than the patient themselves understands. The only rebuttal I got was, "well what about their feelings?", "Different people believe different things", "you have to agree to disagree" etc etc. I don't want you to think I was taking a stance "theology doesn't care about your feelings". I think I'm going out of the way to honour people's feelings here. I'm genuinely confused about why it's better to condescend to people by humouring them, rather than actually doing the best we can to engage with their belief system.

Okay, while apply that to discussing any political issue with a liberal. Am I supposed to care how they think or feel the economy works, or am I supposed to discuss the economy in material terms, which means rejecting their priors and anecdotes, and cutesy stories, and half understood talking points? If they want to discuss the economy, isn't it important to establish that we're thoroughly describing a real system of resources and labour, which is guided by political and ideological decisions rather than something that is just-so?

"Gosh, who can say how the economy works? I guess we each have our own perspectives." is useless to actually describing, and so discussing, the socioeconomic system of a nation. We can say, and what we say can be disputed. If we're treating these as descriptions of reality, or informed by reality, they need to be challenged. I realize in the context of dinner parties I've had to be more flexible. I don't like it, but my wife says being relentless is my "best and worst quality", which is awfully kind of her to say, but doesn't resolve the issue.

see this is why i dislike star trek the next generation because its very much a show about respecting beliefs even if you think those beliefs are completely idiotic the assumption typically being that people from other cultures are too stupid to care that youre obviously just humoring them

i also think star trek enterprise is the most underrated star trek because it very much does the opposite of this where the main characters have to expend effort figuring out if a cultural belief is reasonable or if its just some rear end in a top hat taking advantage of their open mindedness to try to mind rape them or something

i maintain that the intellectual rigor of star trek enterprise is why people tend to dislike it because of all the star trek series the storytelling it favors is least conducive to self insertion fantasies just because that part of the premise requires that the characters constantly stumble and make mistakes or even end an episode having made decisions so ambiguous its not even clear they were the morally correct ones

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

goodness gracious

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

also that it's brutalist architecture

the milk machine posted:

that's just ugly modern

Yeah, that's ugly modern/a weird new neo-neo-federalist style that seems to be developing with these big box buildings covered in marble facades. It's explicitly not brutalist because it has this big marble facade covering the actual structure of the building

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Oldest Man posted:

as a monument to the most expensive and flashy kind of mediocre insufficiency, it's kind of perfect

i feel this way about the las vegas dome

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

not sure how I feel about Jason Mamoa's new fit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Israel was praising Columbia by name as the only US university fighting antisemitism, I’m curious what’s going on there.

Right now it's NYPD mass arresting students because they left the designated free speech zones.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Absolutely. I have not heard or seen a single Hogan ad but you can't escape Trone ads in MD. A friend said he doesn't know who he is but my friend is going to vote against him just because of the obnoxious ads. He claims he's educator-friendly but you know what that means for Dems lol

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nichael posted:

how many goated with the jugs pic does the ultimate nancy pelosi fan have

If you right-click and hit properties on the folder it will tell us. :smug:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so he...didnt really need to do anything because americas backbone was already indestructible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

so he...didnt really need to do anything because americas backbone was already indestructible?

maybe he's saying his job is done and he will not be seeking reelection