Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

I still think a block should be the first move. Knowing that the other guy will want to strike first. You block, he's exposed, you counter punch and finish it.

Blocking creates a moment of cohesion, unless, like I said before, you actually affect the body in some way. When cohesion occurs, a skilled fighter can ride that into an advantageous position. This is where having sensitivity is important. Also, where will you hit them? Are they completely uncovered so you can hit them with a cross when you parry or slip their jab? You might not be in a position to counter at that moment.

This is also why arts like Kenpo, your generic McDojo Karate, and poo poo like that are flawed. There isn't enough emphasis on retracting your strike as quickly (or quicker) than the strike itself. As an attacker, if I leave my punch hanging out there just a little too long, the defender can stick to my arm and ride in for an entry.

This applies to all the so-called "knife defense" bullshit. No one thrusts a knife and leaves it out there long enough for you to grab the wrist, twist it and disarm the blade, blah blah blah. Any disarms in a knife fight are usually incidental. In reality, it's more of a sewing machine needle type motion. That or a big, looping, slicing motion. Either way, you're likely hosed and this coming from someone who actively teaches Kali. There's no "knife fighting" on the street in the modern context. There are only stabbings.

redshirt posted:

Blocking is what learning fighting really teaches you. Most folks don't have defense in their fighting toolbag.

Torquemada posted:

Very important to learn to disassociate the surprise of being hit with the pain of being hit. You want 'ow, ok' not 'ow, what do I do'.

Yup, I'd say the first thing a good fighting course should teach you is how to take a hit. That's why I don't totally regret my Kenpo days. We didn't use pads, we trained on concrete or a hard basketball gym floor, and I was constantly picking myself up from the ground. I'd go home looking like I had been in a car wreck.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Can't block a bullet

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Smugworth posted:

Can't block a bullet

Lol this is one of my favorites. Sure, no one can block a bullet. But has the gun been drawn already or not? Can I see the bulge (heh) under your shirt or on your hip, and know that I have to prevent you from reaching it? Do you even know you're in a fight before you can get to your weapon? How close are you? Does the dude have a knife? Does he have a gun?

All that said, the common "7 meter rule" thing that is often talked about is bullshit. The idea that if I, as a skilled fighter, can get to you and your gun if I'm within 21 feet before you can draw is dumb as gently caress. Of course I'm probably gonna get shot.

I've taught many law enforcement types "service weapon retention" - how to deal with someone trying to take their gun away. It's quite eye-opening when they see just how dicey things can get in a close encounter if they haven't already drawn. Anyway I'll stop here because I have huge problems with how law officers are trained and it gets my blood boiling and that's why I don't teach them anymore, because ACAB and they are taught to be that way.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I already shot you while you were saying all that mess

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It just grazed me, I'm fine

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Has no one watched The Matrix: Reloaded??

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have been in many fights due to being from england, where fighting is much more possible without being shot to death. i grew up in a bad area so got into a lot of fights before I got puberty and started working out (which has reduced the amount of fights substantially). I would not say I am good at fighting, but I can fight if need be and like I am not surprised by the circumstances of Fighting

usually my preferred tactic is to avoid fighting via the method of talking. i managed to talk down a mugger at the park during COVID who was sure i was an undercover cop, said he had a knife on him and had called 10 men to back him up, and it ended up with him showing me baby pics of his daughter and me telling him how to spot actual undercover cops. I'm extremely deadpan which works to my advantage as a lot of would-be attackers rely on you looking afraid, and if you do not respond with fear they figure there is a good reason you arent afraid. In my case it is just autism.

i am pretty bad at backing down from fights though, I have a hosed up fight or flight reflex that I have to take medicine for. so I usually try to end them fast by grabbing something and exerting as much force on it as I can, to signal that I am not down for sporting fisticuffs. I have seen guys get kinda hosed up by their training when they assumed a fight was going to operate similarly. Although I'd say being trained is a big advantage over not being trained, not least for just learning how it feels to get hit and not flipping out. But most opponents will lose enthusiasm when you are holding them by something broken or nearly broken. Or have your thumb in their eye.

I've been in one knife fight, but it was a bullshit one when I was a kid. I was like 13ish and a kid I knew from school bumped into me next to a canal and pulled out a stanley/x-acto type knife with the blade extended all the way out to look scary. I moronically grabbed the blade and twisted it out of his hand and very nearly lost the use of my thumb. I was pretty lucky because when I tried to stab him back the tip just caught in the fabric of his jeans and the whole blade snapped off and he ran.

I have done some Silat and also some classes based on like renaissance italian knife fighting, and I will say the difference between a trained and untrained weapon fighter is loving massive. The actual way to fight with a knife, or any weapon, is very counter intuitive. You're like jabbing out and retracting super fast, like starting the stab before you step into the blow. It also seems like something where it is more than possible, in a real situation, for both fighters to just kill each other in the time before either one is fully dead.

My experience overall with fights is that they are embarrassing and best avoided, whether you win or lose. its not like you can just slay a guy, so really youre just gonna end up back to arguing if you arent willing to do jail time, except now you're both still arguing with your clothes jacked up and a cramping back muscle

I once won a fight with a man who was in a car, he drove away after I did not stop trying to fight him after being hit 4 times at low speed. I had thought he was braking bc he was scared to hit me, but it turned out I was just hella wired on adrenaline and did not feel like I got hit as hard as I did. But later on I felt like a guy who got hit by a car 4 times, and my friends who saw me fight the car still thought i was a dickhead even though the other guy started it (called me and my friends the bad f-word after nearly hitting us at a crosswalk, on the anniversary of another friends suicide, then tried to run me over after I told him to gently caress off). I feel like in the middle ages I would ahve been a town hero, but these days you just look like a badly behaved dog out for a walk

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol hell yeah brother.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Finally, a wrestler. And you did it in college so you're the real deal.

Did you entertain any thoughts of trying to make the Olympics?

Nobody fights at the Olympics but there's always a first time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a fighting story for the pedestrians/bikers:

I was walking to work in Boston and crossing in cross walk and this contractor van comes swooping in to take a left against the law and real close to me, so I smack the side of the van as he passes (that close).

He breaks, goes, breaks, goes, is clearly pissed, is now yelling at me out his window as I walk on the sidewalk. I ignore him but keep steady eye contact. He pulls over up ahead on Boylston street and I'm like "game on". He steps out of his van and I get in fighting position and he swears at me a bunch then gets back in his van and drives off, flipping me off as he goes. And the whole time I was like, internally, "Bro you almost ran me over in a crosswalk!"

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Street fights in TYOOL 2024 is someone getting murdered over the most trivial poo poo imaginable while bystanders film it on their phones for social media views.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Sophy Wackles posted:

Street fights in TYOOL 2024 is someone getting murdered over the most trivial poo poo imaginable while bystanders film it on their phones for social media views.

This

Just assume they are mentally ill and walk away

The world has changed

Internet made them stupid

naem
May 29, 2011

Sophy Wackles posted:

:agreed:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Can't block a bullet

I can

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ok, so 1, that little gun, those bullets are truly just nuisances.

2, the bigger guns? You better believe I have Stevie Nicks Magick enveloping me as I work my way to your hand....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When the end of the world comes, and all is lost, and forgotten, and sotted and lovely. I will be there, ready to fight. For the right cause/reason of course.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I think one of the key principles of any fighting is to move your god-dang feet. Standing in place is pretty much a guarantee to get hit.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
If you're not moving your feet your punches are gonna be weak af

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, footwork is key to all stand up fighting.

Silat Serak has some crazy footwork, and it's based on a pattern called a pantjar. The triangle is an important concept in Filipino arts and Silat, and a lot of the movements are based on that shape.
The pantjar teaches you just how to stand and move your feet in relation to how your opponent is structured and moving.

Here's some dude making a pantjar mat. You can see all the angles of foot movement that are possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obVU9rvvddE

Here's some other dude doing langkas, or footwork drills, on a smaller pantjar. Notice how he moves on the lines, and how his feet are oriented on the angles. If he moves off a line, he's potentially in a bad position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95NOyRD2gq0

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 13, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I defer to isaboo in all regards.

*bows

And yet, I wonder....

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

juggalo baby coffin posted:

It also seems like something where it is more than possible, in a real situation, for both fighters to just kill each other in the time before either one is fully dead.
Yeah that's a very common outcome of a knife fight, or at least both incapacitated. i've heard that historically, fighting someone who has never fought with knives or swords was regarded as far more dangerous than fighting someone with intermediate experience. You don't know any of the dozens of ways in which you can be mortally wounded and so in effect don't care

e: just saw isaboo post that there are no knife fights, only stabbings now and that's pretty much it

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 13, 2024

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

It's all fun and games until someone rips out one of my piercings.

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024
I get punched

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024

Grey Cat posted:

It's all fun and games until someone rips out one of my piercings.

what is it then?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

tetSUOOO posted:

what is it then?

All sad and pains.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So I've kinda been obsessing about thinking of fighting isaboo. No pads.

But full honor and respect.

On the one hand, I know he has superior training than I do. And he's no doubt technically the far superior fighter.

But.....

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

redshirt posted:

So I've kinda been obsessing about thinking of fighting isaboo. No pads.

But full honor and respect.

On the one hand, I know he has superior training than I do. And he's no doubt technically the far superior fighter.

But.....

The "But" isn't necessary.

I'd fight you with the use of only one side of my body, and win.

This is a cheeky, though not untrue :smuggo:, reference to the founder of Serak. Bapak Sera had a shortened arm and a club foot. And part of the reason he developed Serak was as a way to counter muay Thai. What makes it even more interesting is that muay Thai is sometimes called "the art of 8 limbs", and Bapak Sera really only had full use of 4.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Instead of fighting of course I hope we team up to kick the local gang's rear end and free the local YMCA to resume Disk Golf lol.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hormat

respect, in Indonesian

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm going up so many levels in fighting from reading these posts :cool:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I think ninja goatse is the highest art, friend. You are the true master.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm going up so many levels in fighting from reading these posts :cool:

I got my one inch punch down to half an inch thanks to this thread

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I got my one inch punch down to half an inch thanks to this thread

Finger jab to the Adam's Apple.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

This is the eternal debate, but if someone wanted to be well rounded what would their training be?

The generic answers I’ve seen are striking (boxing, Muay Thai), grappling (BJJ, general mma) and takedowns (wrestling, judo). C/D?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I grew up playing ice hockey, was really big early (in 7th grade I was 6 ft tall), and also have a gay younger brother (in a red state) who I had to go put people on notice not to bully so I basically was fighting all the time until I was an adult

I haven't fought anyone since I was a teenager but I'm assuming I could probably win a fight

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

poisonpill posted:

This is the eternal debate, but if someone wanted to be well rounded what would their training be?

The generic answers I’ve seen are striking (boxing, Muay Thai), grappling (BJJ, general mma) and takedowns (wrestling, judo). C/D?

I love Tae Kwan Do because it seems direct and no frills, with some exceptions.

But I'd have to choose wrestling as the discipline. Being able to confidently wrestle is always a game changer.

In actual wrestling news, I love the story of this twin brother and sister who have dominated a class of Maine wrestling.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Krav Maga seems cool to me bc they always talked about on Archer.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I was a good high school wrestler and have been a wrestling coach for 15 years or so and let me tell you that it has given me the ability to beat the poo poo out of anybody. Just absolutely destroying fools, lat drops and souffles all over the place.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

all of my training and experience has taught me one thing: just run away be a coward it's fine and actually really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

all of my training and experience has taught me one thing: just run away be a coward it's fine and actually really cool

The Grandmaster's advice for the best defense: Get away