Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hello all, going to be travelling from Columbus, OH to Atlanta, GA in a couple weeks (25th probably) and have been searching various options to do the trip cheaply.

There's some cheap flights, but I'd have to either ship my luggage or pay the checked / carry on fee for those.

So which leads to just renting a car for the drive, which there's some reasonable options and would let me drop off in North Atlanta instead of having to take public transit from the airport there. But the car search engines are complete and utter poo poo compared to the flight ones. Have to enter pickup and dropoff times, and some of the sites reset those if you change dates or anything.

So I am curious if there is a good car rental search engine out there. And maybe one that would check different pickup and drop off locations if there's a better deal hidden somewhere?

Thanks friends.

For extra reference, the cheap flights are in the ~$80-100 range and the cheapest car rental I've found so far is $130 (doesn't include gas obviously).

Edit - Still curious but after days of searching found a rental for the trip for $75, so probably good :)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I just check Costco but if you're not a member I don't really have anything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I don't know exactly how much luggage you're moving so that may wildly too the balance, but remember you have to refuel a couple of times on that 10 hour trip, which will eat into the cost savings over the flight. I'd pay extra not to make that drive but if cost is the dominant factor maybe look into buses too, the Greyhound terminal in Atlanta is downtown.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Midjack posted:

I don't know exactly how much luggage you're moving so that may wildly too the balance, but remember you have to refuel a couple of times on that 10 hour trip, which will eat into the cost savings over the flight. I'd pay extra not to make that drive but if cost is the dominant factor maybe look into buses too, the Greyhound terminal in Atlanta is downtown.

I have looked into all the options and know I have to pay for fuel, which sadly is spiking this month. The 10 hour trip is including fuel & piss stops. The actual drive is only ~570 miles.

I am going down there to start a hiking trip (Appalachian Trail), will only have 1 suitcase / backpack but would have to check the bag. I have considered just shipping my bag down to ATL. Either shipping or checking the bag has the risk of it getting lost or damaged, which would be a really big problem.

Will be leaving on the 25th. The base car rental at the moment is $74. The cheapest greyhound is $77 with an 18 hour journey.

Really though, it's just insane compared to the flight aggregators how lovely the car rental ones are. So much extra work and can't just see the rates for different days without changing everything.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I will say that if you can, rent from an airport location. I know there are people who tell you NOT to do that, but:

I rented a car to drive to Buffalo for the eclipse, and when I checked locally, practically every company wanted something insane like $550 to rent a goddamned CAMRY for four days' time. When I checked Costco, I was able to get a Standard Luxury (ended up with a 2024 Audi A4) for ~$225 throught the Dulles Airport Alamo location for the same period of time. Not only that, but the airport locations are open long after the local locations closed. Even in the DC area that was like 4-5pm, which would've necessitated me renting for a fifth day for even MORE goddamned money. :argh: