Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I got a brand new laptop and the very first thing I wanted to do was format the drive and install a fresh copy of windows to get rid of any bloatware. I made a thumb drive, booted the computer from the drive, and tried to format and install. Then it told me that I was unable to install Windows because Bitlocker was encrypting the drive and preventing me from doing so. Well, somehow Windows got uninstalled because when I tried to start up my laptop to go into the control panel, it told me that no OS was installed. I looked online and could not find a way to disable Bitlocker through BIOS or the command prompt. So now I have no windows installed and I'm unable to format my drive to do a clean install. I tried doing a system recovery, got a crazy-long code to type in for it, but it told me it was unable to repair my PC.

So basically there's no OS installed, Bitlocker is preventing me from formatting my drive, but I need an OS to be installed in order to disable Bitlocker. I'm stuck. I'm in customer service chat hell with Microsoft right now and this is incredibly frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Figured it out. Apparently I needed to DELETE the partitions first before formatting and installing. Welp hopefully someone else can get help if it happens to them.