Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Oh nice.

I tried to learn the game but I'm hopeless at it.

Screenshot LP's though are pretty great. Can't wait to see where this one goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Glad to see a dominion LP while it's in making. And with other player input on top of it.

Can't wait to see how everything will go to hell and friendships get broken in a bloody fashion.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Hey folks, are cavern system"s new to dominion 6? I saw a few LP of 5 and don't remember caves.

Apart from that question, great LP so far, even noobs like me can understand what's going on, and on such early kill got the hostilities rolling. Can't wait to see how wonky things will get.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
Do we already know - or suspect - if other nations have gone into all out conflict? Or does it so far look more like low-key border friction while everyone waits for the next person to make a move?

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

DarthRoblox posted:

We haven't seen any fighting to-date, my scouts are still slowly working their way to uncovering the full map (and then saturating it - you only get battle reports if you have a scout sitting in the actual province).

From a more meta perspective, I'm not actually sure when global conflicts start - I think there was some griping about players bumping into each other around now, but I don't think anyone else was fully at war. That will definitely change though; things don't stay peaceful for long in dominions.

"Things don't stay peaceful for long in dominions."

Hehe.
Us wiping out a nation off the map right at the start somewhat clued me in on the impermanent nature of peace in this game.

From previous LP's I read I got the feeling that players also like to negotiate who to defend against or pay for some calm on at least one front when stuff gets violent. I guess if your neighbor's communication remains calm, then things haven't heated up too much yet.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 7, 2024

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

PurpleXVI posted:

Personally I just swap into "spite mode" if someone's really on a winning roll against me, at which point I start disregarding my own future play in favour of being willing to buy allies for three-digit gem numbers. I feel like it contributes to a mythos where attacking me is a poor idea.

Playing the really, really long-term meta game.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Also most of the cave entrances are clustered near me (Man)... so keep that in mind as the game continues.

Reminds me of other LP's where one player was so locked in by terrain that his only other choice was through one neighbor only. Seems like a similar situation here. Are there Thrones of Ascension underground? Even if there are, sooner or later the underground nation will come knocking as it's pretty much their only exit. Unless there are special spells or some mechanic I missed, you're their obligatory first target.

So either strike first or wait for the inevitable army coming knocking. I get the feeling a good chunk of your forces will be occupied there either way.

I admit I don't really get why the exit points tend to be clustered, sounds like spread out would make more sense. It would avoid one player getting all the oily heat - and other players aware of it would sense a target rife for plunder - coming from underground and wouldn't make a bottleneck every single game.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 8, 2024

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I can accept cannibalistic giants facing off against a Chinese myth while Basque inspired creatures lurk in the background trying not to get devoured by nature's revenge.

But this:

IthilionTheBrave posted:

The Outer Throne is underground!

Just irredeemably broke my immersion.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

my dad posted:

No. It takes 4 slaves for the remaining 26 geomancers to start dropping rocks right away. Will the 4 slaves survive? No. Will you care? No.

Ah, the capitalism take on the workforce. Glad to see that seas and mythologies apart, blood drinking mesoamericans or ethereal roman ghosts can still shake hands on that.

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, most of the human, non-blood nations are "neutral." Like their backgrounds don't really involve any genocides, their troops aren't slaves, etc. same goes for the non-Lanka monkey nations. Arcoscephale even has free healthcare.

Pangaea just wants to dance but the humans keep making noise complaints and getting their raves broken up by the cops, then in MA and LA games they also call the HOA to make Pangaea trim back their hedges and then that whole thing starts.

The sea nations are also generally inoffensive except for R'lyeh that dreams of total world domination.

Sceleria just uses skeletons like appliances. Like do you enjoy mowing the lawn? No. Good! Because here's a skeleton that can do it for you! He can clean out the gutters and harvest crops, too. Never you mind what he's going to use those tools for if there's a war...

It's a trope you can find again and again in books and movies and videogames.

In fact, you can even find it in real life very often.

It's the "You're the good guy, cool, but if you end up losing before the bad guy then it was for nothing, so you gotta be a little bit bad too."

It's one sentence, but this was actually used to justify a shitload of stuff throughout history, from anti-communism intervention to pretty gruesome stuff done by the french army during the Algerian war, and too many other examples to count.

Mindopali fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 9, 2024

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023

Donkringel posted:

I like to think of the mage pretender gods are just juiced on magical steroids. While all the other gods were from a previous era shaking off the chains the prior pantakrator put on them, our rainbow mage God was just walking around the world, looking for magical gems. I suppose they could use a powerful sigil that seals the arcane might of the gems into their body, but I like to think they just swallow X amount of gems for their appropriate level.

So they don't know much magic, but centuries of swallowing magic rocks has removed their gag reflex, and therefore they should be the next god.

I suppose achieving godhood isn't that original of an idea if you're baked enough to consider eating shiny rocks for days on end in the first place.

For a real life example, read Mike Tyson's biography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I don't understand much about how communions and similar work in game terms.

But I love the different variants (Chorus, Sabbath, Communion) from a roleplaying perspective.