Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1605220/Dune_Spice_Wars/

Dune Spice Wars is a "Real Time 4X" from Shiro Games (developers of Northgard which this game apparently takes a fair amount from, I don't know I haven't played Northgard). It was released into Early Access back in 2022 with its 1.0 release coming in 14th September 2023.

It's available on Steam and Xbox, :siren:and is also on Game Pass for PC, Console and Cloud with the House Vernius DLC included:siren:

I tried it on Game Pass and was surprised at how much I loved the game. It's a fusion of real time strategy elements with 4X design, and what I would characterise as almost boardgame-esque design sensibilities (lauditory). There's a small but loyal playerbase singing its praises and I wanted a thread to evangelise it to Goons and chat about it.

The game has three game modes:

Conquest - The single player campaign. Not really a traditional "campaign", but a series of games played against opposing AI factions. Each map you play can have modifiers or conditions to vary your playstyle, and completing optional objectives on a map will grant you bonuses that persist across the rest of the campaign.

Skirmish - Standard 4 player multiplayer. While the default is 4 human player FFA, also supports AI opponents and team games allowing for comp stomps with your friends. Can configure a number of parameters ranging from map size to permissable victory conditions.

Kanly Duel - A 1v1 mode against either another player or AI. Played on a small map with each player starting with significant resources, some other modifications to resource generation rates etc. to speed the game up. Not really as popular as the Skirmish mode.

In this game you can:
  • Play as one of 7 (with DLC, 6 in the base game) asymmetric factions and try and take control of Dune through one of five different victory conditions; Hegemony, Domination, Political, Economic or Assassination.

• Recruit and equip your army, vital for both forcefully annexing new territories and defending yourself from Fremen raiding bands or other factions looking to seize your spice fields.

• Harvest the spice melange, the most precious substance in the universe. Sell it to CHOAM for sweet sweet Solari when the price is good, or stockpile it for when conditions are more favourable. Don't forget to stockpile enough to pay your taxes, and watch out for sandworms!

• Develop your economy by acquiring new territories and building them out to help generate key resources. Solari (money, for everything), Plascrete (for buildings), Water (for supplying your armies), Manpower (army recruitment and healing), Fuel Cells (mechanical units/special buildings).

• Research a variety of technologies, many of which are shared by all factions but a number of which will be specific to who you're playing.

• Conduct espionage against opposing factions, generate intelligence and then use it to launch a variety of defensive or offensive operations. With enough preperation and espionage, outright assassinate an enemy

• Play the game of politics in the Landsraad. A political council that meets each in-game month, use your standing and influence to vote on proposed policies. Spend your votes and influence wisely to force punitive taxes on your enemies or claim juicy Charters for yourself.

• Negotiate truces or treaties with other players, propose exchanges of resources, or backstab them and declare war exactly when it will hurt them the most. Sure, breaking that truce might cost you some standing with the Landsraad but who gives a poo poo what the Landsraad thinks of you anyway?

• Say "gently caress it" to galactic conventions and openly drop a nuke on your foes! Hell, drop more than one. Crush your foes and take their riches for yourself.

• Defend yourself from waves of Landsraad forces landing at your base, aiming to wipe you off the face of the planet for some reason.

The game has adjustable speed and is freely pausable, which is great when you're learning the game or playing against AI. Most organised multiplayer skirmish games are played at 1.5x speed with no pausing; once you're acclimatised to this pace, games will usually only take 60 - 120 minutes which for a 4X game is almost no time at all.

A note for those who might be put off by the idea of having to manage your armies in real time; army sizes are significantly smaller than most RTS games and although the game does reward a level of good micromanagement in fighting (e.g. getting your melee units into contact with their ranged units), it more significantly rewards good positioning and timing when commencing an attack. If I, an idiot dummy who is bad at RTS, can manage this then I promise you can too.

Screenshots!

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

People To Watch

Turin - Organises, runs and streams multiplayer tournaments for this game. Runs Turin Multiplayer Discord which has some good resources and a multiplayer community for this and other strategy games.

Daevohk - Streams matches he plays with commentary. Super informative and approachable for new players to follow along, and has started putting out some excellent guides for factions.

Discords

I'll add any goon discords if we've got folks playing/organising games?

Otherwise I'll suggest these:

Turin's Multiplayer Discord - link at the top right of this page.

There's also the official Discord run by Shiro Games here: https://discord.gg/qWDe4ng9FE

General Guides

Beginner's Guide (text)
Slightly out of date but still sound text overview of all the game's systems:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3058990585

A more recent beginner's guide/overview of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMze46sIwdc

Assassination Guide:
The game does a very poor job of explaining how assassinations work.
This video gives a thorough explanation of both launching assassinations and defending against them.

Faction Guides

Atreidies
TBD

Harkonnen
TBD

Corrino

- Doghead has a written guide on Turin's discord (linked above).
- Daevohk has a video guide

Fremen
TBD

Smugglers
- Doghead has a written guide on Turin's discord (linked above).

Ecaz
- Daevohk has a video guide

Vernius
- cyrix has a written guide on Turin's discord (linked above).

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 12, 2024

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

It's really cool, much more interesting than northgard imo

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've never really been a big RTS enjoyer outside of the big genre tentpoles of the 90s, and I've absolutely never been interested in playing them competitively, but something about the design of this game and the way everything fits together really makes me want to learn and play against other players a bunch!

I'm still bouncing between factions trying to get a basic grasp on them, my favourite so far has been the Smugglers both because of their theming but also the parasitic nature of their economy and ability to seize disparate and far-flung territories without penalty is really cool.

Planning to dig more into Corrino as well given that they're pretty good at playing 'tall' which I like.

Absolutely could not wrap my head around the Fremen in the one game as them I played, but I've seen some vicious early rushes with them.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

I've never really been a big RTS enjoyer outside of the big genre tentpoles of the 90s, and I've absolutely never been interested in playing them competitively, but something about the design of this game and the way everything fits together really makes me want to learn and play against other players a bunch!

It's really neat game yeah. I think a part of it is that you don't have to be hyperaggresive all the time like SC or C&C, and that there's so many win conditions.

Also there's like 8 resources to spin :wtf:

Lima fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 19, 2024

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
I like this game, it is good, i like this thread, it is good.

saw a Turin stream 16 ffa tourney today, the 1 big falling is that there is no dedicated spectator view, but every game ive watched has been a cluster truck of antics from sleeper hedge wins to double assassinations.

It's a good time all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Daevokh did a fremen guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hYzZjVJ_p4

Ya hya chouhada!