Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SA came up on New York Times again, this time for handwringing about how we can keep children away from the "darker corners of the Internet," aka GBS Photoshop threads:

quote:

Woman Who Stabbed Childhood Friend to Impress ‘Slender Man’ Won’t Be Released

quote:

The attack rattled residents of Waukesha, a quiet, tidy suburb of 70,000 people west of Milwaukee, where the three girls lived with their families and attended middle school. The case also raised questions about how parents could keep their children from exploring the darker corners of the internet, such as the forum where Slender Man was born.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/11/us/morgan-geyser-slender-man-stabbing.html?unlocked_article_code=1.j00.aqkh.csKvcu8yJIsX&smid=url-share

Lol we're so dangerous can't mention the site by name. Honestly I'd be more concerned about kids with unlimited TikTok or Twitch usage, we aren't teaching how to steal Kias or radicalizing anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Hyrax Attack! posted:

not radicalizing anyone.

A lot of people would disagree. But those people are wrong.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm radical

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

we must5 secure the existence of our people and a future for online children

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
sorry to anyone who got all flustered at the thought of getting a glimpse into the most disgusting, darkest corner of the internet and have had to see our opinions on stargate and grocery store finds instead

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

notice how they don’t tell you how many deaths the nyt is directly responsible for, i wonder why that might be

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FFXIV was a fun video game.

I played a catboy.

edit: wrong thread but you know, I stand by it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Sinks a 3 pointer from the corner with elan.....

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Yeah, I'm something of a menace myself.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Who is this "slender man" they speak of.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

AcidCat posted:

Who is this "slender man" they speak of.

Turn off your monitor

... wait a second...

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

slender man did nothing wrong. people hate on the guy just cos he keeps in shape smdh

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

we aren't teaching how to steal Kias or radicalizing anyone.

:actually:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

always be wary of me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ugh, the NYT is so obsessed with us. They're probably in our bushes outside our house right now

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

slanderman

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

we slandered men...

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
a slender man slendering his anus

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what is that man doing to his waistline

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Holy crap, that's RIDICULOUS

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ugh, the NYT is so obsessed with us. They're probably in our bushes outside our house right now
The New York Times are running the 1000+ bots that read GBS now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

NYTimesbot

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Milo and POTUS posted:

We all live together? UwU

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
the old owner of this place killed a guy

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

R.L. Stine posted:

the old owner of this place killed a guy

guy he killed was not slender tho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't think the awful app even has a dark mode

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

does the internet even have corners anymore, much less dark ones? i thought "rounded edges" have been the norm for website design for a while now

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

dervival posted:

does the internet even have corners anymore, much less dark ones? i thought "rounded edges" have been the norm for website design for a while now

The data is digital so yeah. The 0's have smooth edges but sometimes the 1's can get stuck in corners - which can clog up bandwidth.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Khanstant posted:

I don't think the awful app even has a dark mode

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the whole thing about him having a mansion in the woods and you could become friends with him and live there by stabbing your friends was definitely, 100% made up by actual children. only a child's brain would think that up

the weird adults who post here would have, at best, gotten mad and yelled at them for suggesting such a stupid idea that completely ruins the entire mystique of the slenderman mythos

if you'd asked goons ten years ago if the thing with slender man was that you stab your friends we would have told you to shut the gently caress up about slenderman and said we're gay and called you the r word

the goon version of slenderman (before we got bored of it in like 2010) pretty much just stands there. the whole thing was you don't know what he is or what he wants and you might not even notice him standing there, so your brain does all the work of making him scary because silent hill 2 is the best horror game ever made *strokes neckbeard* hm methinks :reject::goonsay:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The freaking New York Times....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The NY Times called me after the LA Riots. I did not return their calls.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The *Failing New York Times

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Well the news was right this is a dark corner now

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

redshirt posted:

The freaking New York Times....

On the same day they let JD Vance write an editorial.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

You're right tho, you can go back and read the thread (if you have archives lol) and a lot of posts are people saying "it's better if it's vague, giving details ruins it" and also it was a random spoopy Photoshop Phriday thread (phread).

But that's happened a lot, the little basis of a nugget gets formed and then the greater internet gets obsessed and goes hog wild. If you think about it the entire internet is just so ready to write fanfic about the dumb poo poo this dead and gay forum produces.

I remember showing one of my friends the thread cause I thought it was neat, and dude got all weirdly quiet and moody and became half obsessed but didn't want to talk about it. Turns out he was one of those "if enough people believe it then it becomes real" people lol

In summary, to date I have not been Slendermurdered, and the pig balls are still funny.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For the record I trust The Washington Post more than The New York Times and yes I know who owns the WP, Bezos, but I think pitting him against the New York Times is the best we can get.

Fun local news story. One day years ago a shortstop for the Red Sox - Dustin Pedroia - got a 5 year contract for like 200 million dollars or something crazy.

The same day the same guy who owns the Red Sox bought The Boston Globe for like "only" 60 million.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

redshirt posted:

For the record I trust The Washington Post more than The New York Times and yes I know who owns the WP, Bezos, but I think pitting him against the New York Times is the best we can get.

Fun local news story. One day years ago a shortstop for the Red Sox - Dustin Pedroia - got a 5 year contract for like 200 million dollars or something crazy.

The same day the same guy who owns the Red Sox bought The Boston Globe for like "only" 60 million.

i'm sorry to have to tell you this, but wapo is also trash :(

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

lol this reminded me of the fox hitpiece on 4chan that showed a van randomly exploding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buce posted:

i'm sorry to have to tell you this, but wapo is also trash :(

I knew you'd say this, and you may be correct. I don't choose to believe you though.