Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

There are lots of ways I could use to describe this, but I think Shellception put it the most succinct in this trailer:

Hi, and welcome to Hatoful Boyfriend Mafia, a poop joke by wologar and Cloacamazing!.

I'm sure you have questions.

What is this?
This is a role-madness type mafia game for 15 players.

No, I mean what is this game?
Mafia is a social deduction game where your use your astute powers of observation to either figure out who the evil people are, or to bamboozle others into thinking you're not evil.

I'm talking about the bird game!
Hatoful Boyfriend is a dating sim about a human attending a school for birds and eventually dating one of them. The actual backstory is quite insane and involves a mutation of the bird flu virus killing most of humanity and making birds become more intelligent. The game is also quite insane. It has a sequel, Holiday Star, which manages to be even weirder. It's also very charming with all the weirdness and in my opinion manages a good balance between telling an interesting story and being weird.

Who are you and what's with the poop jokes?
I am Cloacamazing!, a.k.a. "I wouldn't put it past Clo.". Joining me in this endavour is wologar a.k.a. "Is this balanced? Lol.". By our powers combined we have created this mafia game.

Do I need to have played mafia/the bird dating sim to join?
No for both, although you should play the bird dating sim. Also there will be spoilers in the character descriptions and flavor text for both Hatoful Boyfriend and Holiday Star, so be warned.

Is SPOILER a serial killer? Because there's no way he's town.
Glad you asked! In order to make this game not flavorsolvable at all, all flavors have been randomly assigned alignments during role creation. As such this game is not flavor solvable at all.

Are you insane?
Yes.

So is this balanced?
Lol.

Now for the important part that nobody ever reads: the rules.

Rule 0, the important one that overrules all other rules: First and foremost, we are here to have fun and enjoy ourselves. Please make sure that at all times you put your own sanity and mental well-being first. If at any point you feel like you're having a bad time, like someone's taking things too far or just need someone to talk to, please contact your mods or one of our many community volunteers. The following users have been suggested as points of contact if you do not feel you can reach out to me: The Traditional Games forum moderators, Leperflesh and Antivehicular; and Mafia regulars VoodooFly, Hal Insandenza, Bifauxnen, Monathin, Wologar, Maerlyn, Cloacamazing!, EccoRaven, CCKeane, Opopanax, Sandwolf and Shellception.

1) Don't be a dick.
2) No unsanctioned out of thread communication about the game.
3) No copy-pasting any out of thread info into the thread, especially not your role PM. Paraphrasing is generally fine, when in doubt ask your mods.
4) Do not post after the hammer.
5) Do not fake day actions.
6) Do no post when dead.
7) Don't edit your posts.
8) Lurker rules: Please make at least 10 posts with reasonable amounts of content per day (i.e. don't just post numbers, say something). This minimum is reduced to 5 posts if the day ends more than 12 hours before deadline and removed entirely if the day ends more than 24 hours before deadline. Failure to reach the minimum postcount will get you a warning first, second time will get you modkilled. If you have problems reaching that number due to real life issues, let us know preferably in advance. We'll work something out.
9) Seriously, don't be a dick.

This game contains no elements that are purposefully designed as mod bastardry. There are no hidden components to any role that are not made clear in the role PM.

Night action results will be given as "You successfully [action]ed your target.", followed by any further information. Failed actions will be given as "You failed to [action] your target." There will usually be some flavor text in italics delivered with the night results. While flavor text won't outright lie to you, it also isn't part of your result text. Rely on it at your own peril.

You will need Discord to play this. Please join the server here: https://discord.gg/PVfGbKqEa3

1. Bifauxnen (surprise me)
  2. CubicalSucrose
  3. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  4. hambeet (he/him)
  5. Ignatius M. Meen (he/him/whatever)
  6. Illusionis (He/him)
  7. Johnny Keats
  8. JosefStalinator (He/him)
  9. Maerlyn (she/her)
  10. mycelia (he/him)
  11. PhantomMuzzles (She/Her)
  12. SporkChan (He/Him)
  13. Tsietisin
  14. yuming (she/her)
  15. Zoya

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Since I know you people don't read the OP, all the important stuff about the game goes here:

Your characters have stats!
There are three stats in this game: WIS (Wisdom), VIT (Vitality) and CHA (Charisma). Every character has a certain amount of starting stats. You can increase your stats by attending classes. During the day, as a private action in your Discord channels, you can choos to attend the following classes for stat gains:

Math: +1 WIS
Gym: +1 VIT
Music: +1 CHA

You may also choose to cram. This will increase your stat gains by 1, but leave you tired and unable to perform any night action.

What do my stats do?
Once you reach certain stat thresholds, you will be eligible for common or personal abilities. All abilities are oneshot, unless specifically stated otherwise. Your personal abilities are gained automatically once you have the required stat and can be found in your role PM. The common abilities are as follows:

WIS
WIS 5: Choose one of the following:
- Track: As a night action you may track another player, learning who they visited
- Watch: As a night action you may watch a player, learning who visits them. You may use this ability on yourself.
- Ninja: When performing a night action, you may combine it with the ninja to make your action undetectable

WIS 10: Choose one of the following:
- Abilitycop: Learn a personal ability of your target, as well as whether they are eligible for it or not
- Actioncop: Learn what action your target performed this night
- Bonus stats: Gain one additional point the next time you attend class

VIT
VIT 5: Choose one of the following:
- Vigproof: passive ability that protects you from a single killing attack during daytime
- Empower: Lets you empower a player as a night action, making their action unblockable
- Jugg: When performing a night action, you may combine it with the jugg to make your action unblockable

VIT 10: Choose one of the following:
- Bulletproof: passive ability that protects you from a single killing attack at any point
- Self-watch: Sleep is for the weak! Lets you watch yourself, seeing any player who visits you.
- Recharge: Supported by the power of the cheerleading squad, recharge one of your used oneshots! (Note: Some oneshots may not be eligible for recharging)

CHA
CHA 5: Choose one of the following:
- Roleblock: As a night action you may roleblock another player, preventing them from taking an action.
- Doc: As a night action you may doc a player, protecting them from a single killing action. You may target yourself with this.
- Loved: As a night action you may make a player loved, meaning they will take one additional vote to get voted out. Any loved players will be announced publically in the day opening post.

CHA 10: Choose one of the following:
- Self-stump: If you are removed from the game, you will become a stump. Your flip will be obscured, and you may continue to post in the thread and talk in any Discord channels you're a part of, but can't vote or use abilities. At any point in the game you can choose to ascend to spoiled obs, flipping properly.
- Hated: As a night action you may make a player hated, meaning they will take one less vote to get voted out. Any hated players will be announced publically in the day opening post and are visible in Votefinder.
- Mirror: Reflect all actions on your back to the other player.

And finally, the most important part:

Pooping
Every living player has the public ability once per day to ##poop on [player]. This has no immediate effect.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 13, 2024

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Coo

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
This game's lore is insane, btw.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
This seems more like an RPG than a Mafia game, and thus I shall sign up to play.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
MANDATORY SIGN UP.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Dammit this sounds cool. FINE

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Omg I knew it would be Hatoful when I saw pigeons in discord. I'm in

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

While I hate birds, I love hatoful boyfriend

So conflicted

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I wanna gently caress some pigeons

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gdi I was supposed to be on hiatus

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
I don't think I can stay away

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
DeadIn Limbo in other game, so sure.

In for your weird bird game.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Would this be a suitable game for someone who has played regular Mafia in real life, but not so much on the forums.

If so, I would like to give this a go.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Not knowing the setup, I authoritatively say yes

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Tsietisin posted:

Would this be a suitable game for someone who has played regular Mafia in real life, but not so much on the forums.

This seems like a probably good one for you given that one mod is EU-based.

Most important is to join the Discord NOW so that no one is waiting on you later, and you can ask the mods questions and such.

https://discord.gg/PVfGbKqEa3

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Tsietisin posted:

There will probably be a couple abilities you're not familiar with (I doubt regular mafia has my favorite role, the messenger, who's sole ability is to pm people the Bee Movie script), but you'll get an explanation if you roll them.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cloacamazing! posted:

There will probably be a couple abilities you're not familiar with (I doubt regular mafia has my favorite role, the messenger, who's sole ability is to pm people the Bee Movie script), but you'll get an explanation if you roll them.

I apologize for (apparently re)starting the bee movie thing

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

yes yes yes yes yes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I would absolutely love to spectate, Hatoful Boyfriend rules and Holiday Star features tanks.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Okay I’ll play!

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.
I would like to play now that the Tarot game is over! Poooooooop

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

i have been summoned out of my hiatus

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Alright

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zoya posted:

i have been summoned out of my hiatus

auspicious for i also just returned

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

So many friends to poop on!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Hooray, we're full!

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

JosefStalinator posted:

auspicious for i also just returned

in my case, this is a bit of a hiatus from my hiatus, as it were (i will return to my slumber after this game)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Zoya posted:

in my case, this is a bit of a hiatus from my hiatus, as it were (i will return to my slumber after this game)

Same

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

🐦‍⬛:hf:🐦

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Game?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Caw caw motherpeckers.

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

Motherpluckers?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Coo scum

PhantomMuzzles
Jun 23, 2022

It's a puzzle.

Johnny Keats posted:

Motherpluckers?

Pigeohnny Keats

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Are you walking with me? I see you walking with me.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Everybirdie at St Pigeonation's School for Birds was very excited for the Spring Egg Festival, a newly invented school festival legally distinct from the human holiday of Easter, to further the good relationships between the attending birds and the residents of Littledove Hachiman City. There were to be foodstalls, games, competitions, all the usual anime highschool stuff. Naturally enough, at least five classes were holding maid cafés, because is there any other option in this genre? Clearly not.

However, the preparations came to a screeching halt when one morning, an undefined number of days that was probably about a week or so before the school festival, the birds and various neighbors arrived at the school only to find that the decorations were missing! And even worse, the gigantic cake the student council president had provided was gone too!

"Who could have done such a thing?" the birds (and their human classmate) asked themselves.

"For a number of convoluted reasons, one thing is certain." one of the birds announced. "This horrible crime could only have been committed by one of the fifteen people present right now."

"Then we will have to find the culprits.", the principal said, sighing sadly as he contemplated the beautiful and delicious cake. "Of course, everyone, please make sure you don't neglect your studies while doing so. Our cityfolk are more than welcome to attend classes as well."

A Giant Fancy Cake, CAKE-aligned mountain of sugar has disappeared without a trace Night 0!

quote:

Nobody really knew why there was a giant cake, big enough to feed an entire town, to begin with, but now it's gone and this can't stand.

It is now Day 1.

As a reminder, everybirdie has the following actions available during the day:

##attend [Math, Gym, Music]: A private action in your confessional that will increase your WIS/VIT/CHA by 1. You have until deadline to submit this action (with a small grace period in case of early hammers) and can change your mind at any point during the day.
##cram: A private action in your confessional that will give you an additional point in the subject you're studying, but will leave you unable to perform any night action. You can change your mind about cramming or not cramming at any point during the day.
##poop on [player]: A public action in the thread that allows you to poop on another player. You may use this once per day and may not change your mind about who to target. There is no grace period for pooping in case of early hammers, you will need to hold it in until the next day.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (15): Bifauxnen, CubicalSucrose, Hal Incandenza, hambeet, Ignatius M. Meen, Illusionis, Johnny Keats, JosefStalinator, Maerlyn, mycelia, PhantomMuzzles, SporkChan, Tsietisin, yuming, Zoya

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 25th, 2024 at 10 p.m. CEST -- that's in about 2 days, 3 hours.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

From way back:

Zoya posted:

my soul reads are never incorrect ਁ

mark my words, uncle cube is a sinister plotter

just last year he poo poo in the green beans!

frequently incorrect

##poop on Zoya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

##vote cube