Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Tax-exempt dividends? Eh? 1040 K-1 . Good job Bank of America way to change the information, turbo tax was "nice" (As far as a piece of poo poo middleman who shouldn't exist goes) enough to grab it from last year yet you chucklefucks decided to have a new address. Like I left you ages ago when the news was constantly negative towards you and yet here you are managing to inconvenience me. You want me to find my marketplace payment stuff? You and I both know I probably got it in the mail and put it somewhere dumb or maybe it's underneath a bunch of mail on the table. Fine whatever I'll just grab it online. Did I bother doing the quarterly tax thing last year? (probably not I think I stopped doing that because it was a bother) gently caress how much did I pay in car tax.

Anyway I may or may not make this same thread next year be sure to look forward to it!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
taxact is free, imports your previous year, and it takes like 5 minutes OP

skill issue lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Me and the boys throw a tax day party. The lan is setup in the living room. Bring your own rig. You wouldn't believe the kind of deductions, strictly itemized, we can plough through. We're technicians. We get through cases of NA beer in a day.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Jelly posted:

taxact is free, imports your previous year, and it takes like 5 minutes OP

skill issue lol

My understanding is having stocks means you don't get to just use the free tier.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

were we supposed to be filing taxes this whole time?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Buce posted:

Allow the anime taxes lady to save you.
https://taxheaven3000.com/

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Buce posted:

taxes lost in the wind, like tears

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
I pay my taxes so the government can give money to the IRS so they can audit some rich rear end in a top hat who has been avoiding taxes, but now the IRS has money and rich rear end in a top hat can't evade the audit and ends up paying and then paying interest on what's owed and that's great to have people with money held accountable, but the real villain is the tax code being a byzantine gauntlet of rules, exceptions, and referrals to tables that have rules and exceptions fractally.

Duck and Cover posted:

My understanding is having stocks means you don't get to just use the free tier.

I paid the software to do it last year and they charged me like, $40 because I had more than a 1040EZ, but this year they wanted $60 for the same format with different numbers, so I just used last year's form as a template to make sure this year was accurate and used freefile and saved myself $60 :homebrew:

phobo
Aug 7, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Me and the boys throw a tax day party. The lan is setup in the living room. Bring your own rig. You wouldn't believe the kind of deductions, strictly itemized, we can plough through. We're technicians. We get through cases of NA beer in a day.

Unreal Tournament voice: FILING SPREE!!!

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Assume the position lol

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Who the gently caress trusts their money with BoA

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

someone said taxact is free but it's trying to charge me 50 bucks either way with my fed :(

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Baby needs a pair of new roads. Do your taxes ffs

e: I have time until September to file and I will use every single second of that time

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Same OP. Still got today to coast and ignore it. I'll panic tomorrow and Monday. Same drill every year.

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The IRS launched IRS Direct File this year where you can file your taxes for free directly through the IRS.

It's only available in 12 states this year though.

- Arizona
- California
- Florida
- Massachusetts
- Nevada
- New Hampshire
- New York
- South Dakota
- Tennessee
- Texas
- Washington state
- Wyoming

Hopefully they will expand it to all states next year and I'll never have to use TurboTax again.

https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/irs-direct-file-pilot

Fishy Flip fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 13, 2024

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I took retirement money from my old job and Uncle Sugar wasn’t satisfied with his 20% vig so I actually owe this year. I’ll file it Monday.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It is absolutely ludicrous though the government doesn't just send us a tax bill every year and you can quibble with it if you want but that's that.

This charade of me telling them how much I made, etc, when they know already, is rather ridiculous.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

redshirt posted:

It is absolutely ludicrous though the government doesn't just send us a tax bill every year and you can quibble with it if you want but that's that.

This charade of me telling them how much I made, etc, when they know already, is rather ridiculous.

The govt would probably bring in more money because most people wouldnt be able to be bothered writing off their 20 dollar a month deduction to St Jude or monthly 10 dollar copay for their medications. Multiply that by millions of people.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Bro, as a sovereign citizen you aren't doing your taxes you're doing their THEFT for them.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
yeah, after I was audited by the IRS and had to pay thousands extra for the crime of making $39,000 a year in NEW YORK loving CITY, I didn't do my taxes for 3 years as a F.U. it was cool not doing poo poo while people stressed out about tax seasons

then covid happened and a lot of people ripped off by the gov were able to fool them and get their $$$$ back by the extended covid unemployment benefits so that worked out o.k.

it's just aggravating being an american tax payer knowing that you fund drone strikes on hospitals and weddings and farmers and water treatment plants every single day for decades. It's a moral imperative to rip off USGOV as much as possible.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's important to pay your taxes. The missiles and bullets used for genocide are very expensive and it's unamerican to expect the wealthy to foot the bill. God bless intuit for straight up bribing lawmakers. Make sure to vote!! :patriot:

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
Quit your job and sell your assets. Can't pay income tax if you don't have any income.

Stay tuned for more lifehacks.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I moved before filing my taxes and it took 8 weeks + a trip to the IRS office to get my return

:lol: I also used the wrong version of Turbotax and didn't include any small business writeoffs, so I had to file an amended return. Probably have to drive to the IRS office in DC to fix that one :doom:

EDIT

its a big :lol::lmao: that writing off stuff like my cell phone bill and home office under work expenses was worth a few hundred in writeoffs, but I write it off for an LLC and its worth thousands. Great work America.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 13, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

redshirt posted:

Oh they will do that if you fail to import 1+ accounts into Turbo Tax. Our records show you owe X. Okay I'll pay X. I did manage to overpay by like 5k ages ago and they finally were like "oh you overpaid we'll be sending a check" my guess is it was when I made a mistake when paying my estimate taxes.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Mistle posted:

I pay my taxes so the government can give money to the IRS so they can audit some rich rear end in a top hat who has been avoiding taxes, but now the IRS has money and rich rear end in a top hat can't evade the audit and ends up paying and then paying interest on what's owed and that's great to have people with money held accountable

Good to see there is still comedy being posted on this website.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Whatever I used for decades, taxAct I think, was never free for me due to dividends and stuff and state tax. Then after dealing with my ex wife's complicated return due to her step father setting up this LLC for his kids that had some complicated gains, though so small I should have never worried, I finally started using a CPA and it was the best decision I ever made. Subtract what I paid for the software, add in I don't have to do it and know that if I'm audited I have a professional preparing my return it's a no brainer.

I used to sweat about the smallest amounts too. Now I do my best to get it all together and let it rip yolo whatever.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I pay this nice lady 60 bucks. She's an accountant at a big firm and just does taxes on the side for ppl for extra income.

It's like the same cost as filing myself and I'm sure it's accurate every time.

Would recommend the nice lady accountant you know if you can't just do an EZ for free.

Also my state filing isn't free even if it's an EZ so.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did mine just now. Should've taken like 5 minutes but somehow it took an hour and I wound up buying 50 dollars worth of paint and some random groceries and now got all these tabs open about I bonds and I can't tell if it's a scam or a free 16 dollars in 15 months.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

not sure why but i find doing my taxes fun. the hr block software makes it pretty easy.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I'm still fighting with a tax authority about my 2020 taxes. And that was after I paid a CPA to handle poo poo for me lol

freetaxusa.com sounds like it'd be shady, but it's actually free (for federal filing) and somewhat less condescending than TurboTax

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

^That is a bargain e-60 dollar guy

My guy is like 3 or 4 times that but he makes it fun. I drop by or get on a call and he cracks jokes and asks about you the whole time, we're done in 30 minutes and it's free therapy. He's this stoner CPA which is a unique class.

He also scoffs at the getting a return is giving the gov a free loan mindset. "Would you rather write a check at the end of the year?" I didn't have a strong opinion about this but I've come to his side on it. No, I'd rather get a check and really a risk free 1 year investment with the size of my return is maybe $20 or $30 if I'd had all that money up front and earning interest, which I wouldn't have anyway.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Good to see there is still comedy being posted on this website.

Those "Clowns" at the IRS am I right???

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
We have Pay As You Earn.

It means our tax form takes about 5 minutes, is only wrong if you do something stupid, and is so easy you can do it on the phone without needed any further information than what the tax department already has.

041224_2
Apr 12, 2024
file a discrimination lawsuit :haw:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Big rear end On Fire posted:

He also scoffs at the getting a return is giving the gov a free loan mindset. "Would you rather write a check at the end of the year?" I didn't have a strong opinion about this but I've come to his side on it. No, I'd rather get a check and really a risk free 1 year investment with the size of my return is maybe $20 or $30 if I'd had all that money up front and earning interest, which I wouldn't have anyway.

Yep.. people love to mock you for giving the government a free loan but I'd much rather get a return than be surprised by owing money. It's not enough to be worth investing for a chance at a small gain to me.

Also after the first meeting, my lady just lets me email my documents, sends me a copy of the completed form, I scan my id and authorization form to let her file it for me and I'm done. It's the best.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

It turns out your taxes are simple if you're single with a low income.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

meat police posted:

someone said taxact is free but it's trying to charge me 50 bucks either way with my fed :(

It is but you have to go find the link to it on the IRS page. Don't just go to the TaxAct site. https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers/

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I prefer low tax HAHA

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Extra row of tits posted:

We have Pay As You Earn.

It means our tax form takes about 5 minutes, is only wrong if you do something stupid, and is so easy you can do it on the phone without needed any further information than what the tax department already has.

Ewwwwwwww learn to capitalism by creating a whole industry that should not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

The Loin King posted:

Who the gently caress trusts their money with BoA

I call Bank of America "BofA"

Because of the meme, you see.