Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

gotta have your deez account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mistle posted:

I call Bank of America "BofA"

Because of the meme, you see.

What meme

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i love filing, it gives one time to reflect on the past year’s achievements and lessons learned, plus it’s a small nostalgia hit having math homework to do like the old days

tetSUOOO
Mar 1, 2024
i dont think you should have a sexual relationship with your taxes

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

tetSUOOO posted:

curious

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

i love filing, it gives one time to reflect on the past year’s achievements and lessons learned, plus it’s a small nostalgia hit having math homework to do like the old days

Whatever, Smugworth.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

redshirt posted:

Whatever, Smugworth.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

tetSUOOO posted:

You'd expect them to be larger but they're laughably small.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

Whatever, Smugworth.

I didn't make that post but I do agree with it

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I did it. While looking for my checks (lol) found the healthcare marketplace stuff. This would be easier if I was at all organized but that's never been my strong suit.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 14, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

I didn't make that post but I do agree with it

Whatever, Smugworth.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If I was a rapper I would make some kind of boast about how my taxes are complicated and I need to hire professionals to do them for me. And somehow I also get a return.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Taxes aren't that complicated for most people and they act like they're complicated because they struggled through middle school math and/or can't read forms

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

Taxes aren't that complicated for most people and they act like they're complicated because they struggled through middle school math and/or can't read forms

Get a foreign bank holding and you'll sing a different tune.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

redshirt posted:

I follow the instructions and put the numbers in the labeled box for all my foreign investments into the computer.

It's not hard. The bank sends a form that tells me what to enter.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Get an accountant, you cheapskates.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I follow the instructions and put the numbers in the labeled box for all my foreign investments into the computer.

Foreign Bank Holding is a whole other schedule which TurboTax charges like 100 bucks for.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Centrist Dad posted:

Get an accountant, you cheapskates.

lol I am getting real close. I should have years ago probably.

Blackmore
Dec 28, 2012

Catch the Rainbow
I did my taxes when I got them, and they were both pretty easy, but one of them got sent to my old house or got lost in the mail or something so I had to bug the HR lady to print it out. I unceremoniously quit that job on the spot so it was kind of awkward.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I filed mine in January. I was itching to file to get that sweet tax credit for replacing my gas furnace with an efficient heat pump. Stacked both the fed and state credits... not counting the city and power company rebates. :cool:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Looking forward to the annual "what are you spending your tax refund on?" thread.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Still got like 96 hours or something, no worries.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I've paid several professionals in math fields to do things for me by drawing erotica for them, because I have a drawing brain and not a mathing brain. This is not a joke.

I've drawn niches so specific that even the best ai prompts could never replicate it. It's great. People do nice things for you when you can draw the tiddy good.

Hth, OP.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Fishy Flip posted:

The IRS launched IRS Direct File this year where you can file your taxes for free directly through the IRS.

It's only available in 12 states this year though.

- Arizona
- California
- Florida
- Massachusetts
- Nevada
- New Hampshire
- New York
- South Dakota
- Tennessee
- Texas
- Washington state
- Wyoming

Hopefully they will expand it to all states next year and I'll never have to use TurboTax again.

https://www.irs.gov/about-irs/strategic-plan/irs-direct-file-pilot
I used this today, it seemed to go pretty well.

Mistle posted:

I call Bank of America "BofA"

Because of the meme, you see.
So do they.
https://bofa.com/

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i wish it were that simple for the foreign tax credit, but brokerages never seem to provide the exact values needed by form 1116. i have to manually compute them using the foreign source income percentage reported for each account in the consolidated 1099.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

I've paid several professionals in math fields to do things for me by drawing erotica for them, because I have a drawing brain and not a mathing brain. This is not a joke.

I've drawn niches so specific that even the best ai prompts could never replicate it. It's great. People do nice things for you when you can draw the tiddy good.
Yes, but did you properly report the fair market value of the tax preparation less your titty drawing expenses as income on your taxes?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

freetaxusa.com you're welcome

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol still got plenty of time.

*stretches arms out luxuriantly

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

i wish it were that simple for the foreign tax credit, but brokerages never seem to provide the exact values needed by form 1116. i have to manually compute them using the foreign source income percentage reported for each account in the consolidated 1099.

I will count myself lucky that my bank/brokerage actually gets it right then. I had no idea it was such a pain usually.

I hate turbo tax but importing data makes everything pretty easy nowadays.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

ohnobugs posted:

It is but you have to go find the link to it on the IRS page. Don't just go to the TaxAct site. https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers/

rock on thank you. In other news my old employer has locked my W2 behind some old workday portal so I get to wait until the day it's due to do my taxes. God bless this mess

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

redshirt posted:

This was the end of me doing taxes. Instructions were box 12 code P for foreign tax withheld or whatever and it did not line up with the software. Of course it’s true some folks can’t follow instructions.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Well, (piano music, takes a long drag from a cigarette), the time is nigh...

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Big rear end On Fire posted:

This was the end of me doing taxes. Instructions were box 12 code P for foreign tax withheld or whatever and it did not line up with the software. Of course it’s true some folks can’t follow instructions.

It doesn't help when it's asks for information I'm pretty sure is not in the documents my bank gives me. Something about investments that are taxed by state but not federally and it asking which state. I look at the document and am like uhhhhhh I don't see it. I assume it's talking about the state I live in, but maybe not *shrugs*. The fun part is I don't really care if I'm paying more taxes than I should. Sure like if it's thousands I'd like to not pay that but if I'm paying the 5 bucks more that any one question is probably going to potentially save me? Yeah just tell me that before I spend time trying to figuring it out/ going ehhhhh this is probably right.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 15, 2024

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Well that was a fine tax season. My state taxes ended up costing almost what Inshuit cost, so I'm glad I'm supporting the free market so well, it makes me happy, I'm laughing, loving laughing at how happy I am to pay some software developers and their management to fill out a form that they just say hey IRS how much you think he got, and how much he paid? Yeah nothing else, ok I'll tell them yeah they got the right information. That costs $120.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

covidstomper58 posted:

Well that was a fine tax season. My state taxes ended up costing almost what Inshuit cost, so I'm glad I'm supporting the free market so well, it makes me happy, I'm laughing, loving laughing at how happy I am to pay some software developers and their management to fill out a form that they just say hey IRS how much you think he got, and how much he paid? Yeah nothing else, ok I'll tell them yeah they got the right information. That costs $120.

That's America, baby!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
America loving sucks.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

America was made to train the faithful

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It breaks my heart that they still force 5 year olds to salute our stupid loving insecure flag with its dipshit 50 stars and braindead 13 stripes. Kinda flag needs 63 elements to tell you what's up. USA.COM's flag, that's what kind. [several more lines of ranting thoughtfully redacted] Shaquille O'loving Neal. Goddamned whores. You live in your tower~!!! gently caress u!!!!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

It breaks my heart that they still force 5 year olds to salute our stupid loving insecure flag with its dipshit 50 stars and braindead 13 stripes. Kinda flag needs 63 elements to tell you what's up. USA.COM's flag, that's what kind. [several more lines of ranting thoughtfully redacted] Shaquille O'loving Neal. Goddamned whores. You live in your tower~!!! gently caress u!!!!

Hell yeah brother. Cheers from Panama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My dad used to go to Panama for the DOD and he got malaria there except it's not really malaria. They got good shrimp in Panama. Big Roberto Duran fan. Anyway, gently caress u uncle sam!!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!