Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if i work from home can i write off my embody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah we're gonna need protective body wrap for kntfkr, again.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I've been changing 9s to 1s and 6s to 1s or 0s for a million years, nobody cares

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

kntfkr posted:

America loving sucks.

Counterpoint: America Rules

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

A couple years ago I somehow got a $12,000 return.

It was some sorcery involving being a full time resident of Puerto Rico, which is treated as a foreign tax entity but with a bunch of specialty rules, most of which were designed to enrich wealthy American tycoons (of which I am not). I still don't understand it, but they paid me without any objections ever being raised.

:capitalism:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just FYI I think there's a 7 year statute of limitations or whatever they call it for the IRS to come audit you for a given tax year.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

redshirt posted:

Just FYI I think there's a 7 year statute of limitations or whatever they call it for the IRS to come audit you for a given tax year.

what happens if they do this and youre like sorry i dont keep receipts for 7 loving years

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

what happens if they do this and youre like sorry i dont keep receipts for 7 loving years

Search your feelings, you know the truth.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

redshirt posted:

Search your feelings, you know the truth.

my guess is they gently caress you in the rear end?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For those of you fistbumping when they accept your return.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

my guess is they gently caress you in the rear end?

They just take whatever the rate you should have been taxed at PH. They are not out to get you, they're just doing their job. AND you are doing your duty as a citizen.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

pencilhands posted:

They tell you to keep your tax forms for like 5 years I think. I store mine in PDF on my Gmail account.

You might regret it if they lose your forms, but I feel like with efile it's not as important I would hope as they shouldn't really be losing digital data.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

drat I have a drawer full of that stuff and my recent thought has been anything older than 2020 is old enough to throw away. hope I don't get audited

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

drat I have a drawer full of that stuff and my recent thought has been anything older than 2020 is old enough to throw away. hope I don't get audited

I'm something of a tax expert now PH so let me know if you need help. I specialize in deductions, but if you don't itemize I'll not have much good advice other than file on time.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

redshirt posted:

I'm something of a tax expert now PH so let me know if you need help. I specialize in deductions, but if you don't itemize I'll not have much good advice other than file on time.

I don't make enough money to do anything other than take the standard deduction

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

I don't make enough money to do anything other than take the standard deduction

Indeed, so your taxes should be straightforward, and you will never be audited.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

excellent ty

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I know a guy who hasn't filed in like 25 years, probably more.

He's frequently in jail and has never held a job longer than 4 months. The IRS will never touch him because it would be a waste of time and money to even pick up the phone and call him.

So that's the hack, I guess...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Bible posted:

I know a guy who hasn't filed in like 25 years, probably more.

He's frequently in jail and has never held a job longer than 4 months. The IRS will never touch him because it would be a waste of time and money to even pick up the phone and call him.

So that's the hack, I guess...

Also, another trick would be to just make no money. They got nothing on you. Heck, they may pay you some small amount.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I lived 100% of the time last year abroad, but I still had to file. The websites never ask me about foreign income, so I have to do it by hand. It all comes out to $0, but I still have to fill out at least 3 forms. Super annoying.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

redshirt posted:

Also, another trick would be to just make no money. They got nothing on you. Heck, they may pay you some small amount.

His parents are multi-millionaires (oil) who keep him afloat by just dumping cash in his bank account every month. He makes more than I do just sitting around, doing drugs, and occasionally going to prison. I assume they're handling the tax end of whatever that stirs up.

I look forward to seeing what happens when he inherits. I guess he'll probably have financial babysitters do all that for him. His future is a hell of a lot brighter than mine, provided he doesn't die of an OD or getting shanked in prison, both of which are probably pretty likely, unfortunately. Dude just can't stay out of trouble.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Bible posted:

His parents are multi-millionaires (oil) who keep him afloat by just dumping cash in his bank account every month. He makes more than I do just sitting around, doing drugs, and occasionally going to prison. I assume they're handling the tax end of whatever that stirs up.

I look forward to seeing what happens when he inherits. I guess he'll probably have financial babysitters do all that for him. His future is a hell of a lot brighter than mine, provided he doesn't die of an OD or getting shanked in prison.

Oh. Ew.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Eh, I'm not bitter about that one. He'd be dead for sure if he didn't have that support, and as hosed up as he is, he's a long time friend I do care a lot about.

I don't need rich parents to keep me afloat, I can take care of myself and I'm pretty satisfied with what I do have. Extra luxury wouldn't really improve my life by much. He, however, absolutely needs it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Bible posted:

Eh, I'm not bitter about that one. He'd be dead for sure if he didn't have that support, and as hosed up as he is, he's a long time friend I do care a lot about.

Trust Fund Wastoids....

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

redshirt posted:

Trust Fund Wastoids....

Once you completely abandon any illusion of meritocracy, I find it becomes easier to stomach. I only wish I had been able to do that sooner in life.

Some people are just born with max stats. They just get stuff like gobs of cash and fully functioning businesses handed to them at a fraction of the effort anyone else would. It isn't fair by any means, but that's just how poo poo works.

I honestly worry most that the moment he has his hands on unlimited funds, he's going to turn his toilet into a giant crackpipe and die on his first day of being a millionaire.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 15, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

redshirt posted:

Trust Fund Wastoids....

Rude I made this thread for everyone to enjoy that's philanthropy and do I need to point you to the Elon Musk loving the twitter logo while the reddit thing watches thread? Hmmm? Some of us use our undeserved wealth responsibly.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Today I will taxes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Today I will taxes

poo poo dawg, I just found out I got 2 more days!

Woohoo!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I never filed for when I lived and worked in Japan but now that's twelve years ago. Suck it Uncle Sam.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

kntfkr posted:

It breaks my heart that they still force 5 year olds to salute our stupid loving insecure flag with its dipshit 50 stars and braindead 13 stripes. Kinda flag needs 63 elements to tell you what's up. USA.COM's flag, that's what kind. [several more lines of ranting thoughtfully redacted] Shaquille O'loving Neal. Goddamned whores. You live in your tower~!!! gently caress u!!!!

What's so insecure about the flag? I've checked the code and there doesn't seem to be any glaring flaws, and by virtue of it being made of dyed cloth, would seem to obviate any kind of remote attack since it's naturally air-gapped.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

kntfkr posted:

I never filed for when I lived and worked in Japan but now that's twelve years ago. Suck it Uncle Sam.

I did like 8 years of "$0" back tax filing after I came home and no one said anything or cared because I obviously never made the required $100,000 or whatever to be actually taxed on foreign earned income, but I still had to do it for the green card stuff.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

DrSunshine posted:

What's so insecure about the flag? I've checked the code and there doesn't seem to be any glaring flaws, and by virtue of it being made of dyed cloth, would seem to obviate any kind of remote attack since it's naturally air-gapped.

It's not confident. Who needs that many stars?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

It's not confident. Who needs that many stars?

We should have added more back when we had the chance. Imagine if the Philipines was a state? How cool would that be?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I have like $500 in Nintendo stock because I'm an idiot, and then I have like $2 of foreign tax whatever and poo poo because it's an international stock, so then I need to use the $60 Deluxe version of Turbotax online to do my taxes. :(

But THEN my wife sold like $60 of stock last year too, so NOW I need to use the $125 Premium version of Turbotax online to handle selling stock too. :( :( :(

And then Turbotax said that they could take the payment for the Premium version out of my federal return, except it'd also add a $40 service charge on top of that to process the payment, lol. An extra $40 to not bother getting my credit card out of my wallet? Lol no thanks, I paid via credit card instead.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

HJE-Cobra posted:

I have like $500 in Nintendo stock because I'm an idiot, and then I have like $2 of foreign tax whatever and poo poo because it's an international stock, so then I need to use the $60 Deluxe version of Turbotax online to do my taxes. :(

But THEN my wife sold like $60 of stock last year too, so NOW I need to use the $125 Premium version of Turbotax online to handle selling stock too. :( :( :(

And then Turbotax said that they could take the payment for the Premium version out of my federal return, except it'd also add a $40 service charge on top of that to process the payment, lol. An extra $40 to not bother getting my credit card out of my wallet? Lol no thanks, I paid via credit card instead.
Even if the basis on that stock sale was a buck it'd be cheaper to ignore it and if they audited you pay the tax and penalty but most of us are scared of an audit so we jump through all the hoops. I'd have done the same thing. Same with the pittance of foreign tax. Hell if that was paid by you, withheld from dividends for example, then there's probably some tiny fraction of a dollar credit to you somewhere. US tax law is dumb.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Americans abroad, don’t forget your FBARs! You can backdate them but lord help you if the Treasury Department nabs you.

I know a ton of people here who don’t bother and for some countries and dual citizenship situations the US can’t exactly get on you for it, but I’m not risking it. I’ll spend the hour updating boxes. Sucks that investing would enter into a whole new level of tax hell!

Meanwhile my Swedish taxes I’ve done completely blitzed because it’s mostly “we cool? You’re gonna get this back” for most of us. Five min on my phone.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

tetSUOOO posted:

i dont think you should have a sexual relationship with your taxes
It feels like this but my life would be significantly improved if all tedious tasks were gamified with gore, humor, or sex.

satanic splash-back posted:

Taxes aren't that complicated for most people and they act like they're complicated because they struggled through middle school math and/or can't read forms

Turbotax is barely better than just downloading the forms and filling them out. But if you don't know the joy of being told to download and print extra forms, fill them out, and put the value from box Z onto your main form... and the value is 0. :(

Also fun "robinhood gave me some dividend like money on an ETF but it is also specifically not a dividend.". Hours of work for 10.57 in proceeds :(

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I taxed

Man they get more complicated every year that's crazy

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

HJE-Cobra posted:

Here's what the Deluxe version bought you:
- Copy the $2 Foreign Tax Paid number from the 1099-DIV you received to line 1 on Schedule 3: Additional Credits and Payments
- Write $0 on all the other lines
- Sum it up and write $2 on a line on 1040, where it reduces your tax by $2

Here's what the Premium version bought you:
- Copy the buying and selling price from the 1099-B you received to Schedule D: Capital Gains and Loses
- All of the other stuff on the form is not required unless you're doing something weird
- Sum it up and copy it to 1040
- When you get to the "Tax Due" line on 1040, plug the capital gains income and normal income totals into an equation to get the tax instead of using the big table. You didn't do any work for the stock money, so obviously it should be taxed at a lower rate than peasant work-for-wages money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It seems insane to me that you don't use a system like Pay As You Earn/Go where things are tracked automatically, but someone explained it as "America freedom, free market, tax explainers make a tonne of money, don't step on me" and I was like "oh yeah that tracks now".