Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
for windows to figure out I entered my password / pin wrong?

I can apparently rip 6000 simultaneous threads in one second but I can’t see if two numbers are the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Why did the most recent windows rename password to PIN, who is just using numbers for a password?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

encryption time and deliberately prevent people from spamming the service to figure out a combo in human time probably

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I didn’t want to but win 11 was really aggressive about pushing it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
seems to accept very quick when I get it right

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it takes a while to format your drive and install linux. you can use a live usb if you are in a hurry

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

because your operating system…

…is a piece of poo poo! :xd:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ADINSX posted:

Why did the most recent windows rename password to PIN, who is just using numbers for a password?

it didn't?

you can have a password and a pin, but they're two different things. the pin replaces the password for most sign-ins if you have one set, and if you're using any kind of biometric auth and/or a microsoft account it may force you to set a pin

OP, you probably have a microsoft account configured, so it takes forever because it's checking your credentials against an online service.

tl;dr: skill issue

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 15, 2024

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

have you tried entering the correct password instead OP?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it didn't?

you can have a password and a pin, but they're two different things. the pin replaces the password for most sign-ins if you have one set, and if you're using any kind of biometric auth and/or a microsoft account it may force you to set a pin

OP, you probably have a microsoft account configured, so it takes forever because it's checking your credentials against an online service.

tl;dr: skill issue

I just have a normal password with letters and numbers and if I mistype it it says my PIN is invalid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you can set a pin with letters and numbers, it is functionally identical to a password, it can even be the same as the account password, but it's a different credential in windows, and windows still requests a pin

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

And this makes sense to you, this is a good feature you’re going to bat for?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Plus my original joke was “why is it named PIN” when it could contain letters, just name it “password 2” Microsoft

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no? what gave you that impression?

i said they didn't rename password to pin. they're actually two different things, as stupid as that may be

tbh, i didn't realize you were making a joke

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Oh ok, yeah it’s real dumb, being a product manager at Microsoft must be a trip

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like being kicked in the head by a horse every day

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it seems really fun you get to just do whatever

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
boy I tell ya
it’s a real pin in the rear end

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

The devs were on pins and needles waiting to hear about the latest awesome feature they’d be working on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PINus

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i've been waiting for this pizza for over an hour. they'd better give me some free breadsticks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ADINSX posted:

Oh ok, yeah it’s real dumb, being a product manager at Microsoft must be a trip

i mean, in this instance it was probably a pretty sweet gig, in that the entire infrastructure 1:1 copies what ios does, so presumably they collected full pay and went home early.

which is cool and good, making people set strong passwords and use 2fa and such is important, but to make it doable (and to not train people to punch in their full credentials every time anything vaguely log-in-ish shows up) you make them set pin/passcode or use biometrics.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
anytime I see any sort of login prompt I enter a dissociative fugue state and start open palm slamming my ssn and bank account numbers, and windows login

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

just make them all the same and save time

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
micro$oft windoze

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so you can’t brute force the password in less than a year

041724_4
Apr 18, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 18, 2024