Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This is the thread wherein those who are fans of teams that have been eliminated from the NBA playoffs (colloquially referred to as "Gone Fishin'") can come together in search of peace, and post about their eliminated team without having to worry about play-off posters posting terrible things, and/or just the heat of the playoffs drowning out the news of things happening to the eliminated teams, especially now that moves happening during the playoffs has become more common than ever due various quirks in the collective bargaining agreement.

Try not to be too mean. Because all but two teams end up here eventually.

In addition to the primary thread subject, I have been watching a lot of tiktoks of fishing the past year or so so I know more about it than ever, at least in respect to guys in the south going fishing and catching bass of the side of a highway and such. But I'm happy to read posts about your fishing exploits as well. Furthermore, at some point I purchased a magnet fishing set off of Aliexpress last year but have never gotten around to using it. You can post about that too, although from what I understand 90% of the posts about magnet fishing are fake.

FAQ:
  • "Can I post here when my heavy favorite dominant team is down by 1 point 3 minutes into the game of the first game of a playoff series or some other unreasonable time?" No! Eliminated teams only.
  • "Can I, fan of an unpopular team, post here once my team is eliminated?" Yes!

Here's a good post from the last thread:

Rick fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Rockets didn't make the playoffs but hitting .500 after three years of being in the bottom 3 is a big success. You can laugh about FVV being overpaid, but he did exactly what he was supposed to do for the team. He stabilizes the offense in the half court and plays solid defense, two things that KPJ could never do. Dillon Brooks played his brand of defense and was a crapshoot on offense. His attitude seemed to rub off on some of the young guys. Time will tell if that's a good or bad thing in the long run, but this season it was nice to see the team have a sense of pride and not get pushed around so much. Jock Landale started the season horrible, but finished strong and his contract is looking really good now. The quiet trade deadline pickup of Steven Adams will be a big boost next season as rebounding and interior defense were still weak points for the team most of the season.

Sengun took a big leap in year 3. "Next Jokic" is a bit premature (he'll have to get that 3 ball over 30% at the very least), but "next Doma Sabonis" is still pretty good. Amen Thompson was a big hit in the draft. At worst, he'll pick up the "tall Rondo" torch from Simmons, but if he ever develops a jumper he'll be one of the better two-way players in the league. Cam Whitmore was a total steal at #20 and has all the tools to be an elite scorer. Jalen Green had his moments, but was still generally inconsistent. He did seem to develop some better habits under Udoka, and he was no doubt the biggest victim of having Stephen Silas at the helm for two years. Jabari Smith Jr quietly had a solid second season. He seems ok at everything but hasn't found anything he's great at yet on offense so it's kind of tough to tell what his role should be there. He definitely needs to attack the rim more. He did show a lot of improvement on defense this year, and I suspect he'll be a plus defender as he adds more bulk to his frame. Tari Eason came out of the gates hot, but missed most of the season having a tumor removed from his leg. He would've been a killer in the Rockets' fast-pace experiment at the end of the season.

The Rockets are at a bit of a fork in the road this offseason. They have all the young upside guys and draft picks to make a big move, although I'm not sure what they would target with a trade. I hope they stick it out with this core and come into next season still trying to play with pace. Sengun has the skillset to play up tempo and Jalen Green should get another year under a good coach. With Adams and Eason coming back, the rim protection and rebounding should be much better. Cam and Amen should have expanded roles which will make Jae'Sean Tate and Jeff Green expendable. Dillon Brooks could very well be an odd man out soon if Amen can develop some range. Jock Landale figures to be left out too, but his contract should be super trade-able.

The future is finally starting to look bright again for the Rockets.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Good post. I definitely like the Rockets position to be one of the teams that climbs up as the Warriors and Lakers climb down the seeding. You couldn't say that a year ago.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Boy the raptors future looks pretty bleak, lol.

If they add some pieces, draft somewhat competently and the young guys develop decently they could maybe get bounced out as like a 7th seed in a couple years.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
E: broke the rules but will post elsewhere

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
pistons seem to be demoting weaver, possibly under john horst? Not firing him smells like a cheapskate rear end covering move and at this point you expect nothing less from Tom Gores

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

If Amen or Ausar develop a jumper, they will be All-NBA. That is such a massive IF, but they still have a shot to be all stars even without a jumper. I love both of them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

If Amen or Ausar develop a jumper, they will be All-NBA. That is such a massive IF, but they still have a shot to be all stars even without a jumper. I love both of them.

They rule a lot.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Boy the raptors future looks pretty bleak, lol.

If they add some pieces, draft somewhat competently and the young guys develop decently they could maybe get bounced out as like a 7th seed in a couple years.

That is true but I think they are better off now than they would be if they had done the alleged Dame trade.

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 18, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mean Baby posted:

amen is insanely good at everything but shooting, it rules but is frustrating at the same time

it's very funny when teams use screens to switch him and jabari over and over because they're both lockdown

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://x.com/gameinjurydoc/status/1780745953525510527

https://x.com/wheelerjaylen/status/1781062072307961885

🔥😡🔥

https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1779994880556568803

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

welcome to the lovely rear end Atlanta Hawks.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

absolutely nothing with the bulls will change.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

absolutely nothing with the bulls will change.

https://twitter.com/byjuliapoe/status/1781501188220870921

Looks like they are bringing DeMar back but may not be able to bring Pat back without going over the tax. AD is also probably gone.

Maybe they draft Kyle Filipowski or Yves Missi to fill that hole.

End of changes.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

https://twitter.com/byjuliapoe/status/1781501188220870921

Looks like they are bringing DeMar back but may not be able to bring Pat back without going over the tax. AD is also probably gone.

Maybe they draft Kyle Filipowski or Yves Missi to fill that hole.

End of changes.

So…. What do they do with Pat?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

So…. What do they do with Pat?

i mean what difference does it make. this team is not making the big boy playoffs again in our lifetime.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Bulls, welcome Kings.

Often feels like the Bulls are more extremely unlucky than bad but also probably had no business competing for a playoff spot this year.

Kings won enough games to comfortably make the playoffs in most NBA seasons but unfortunately went ice cold at the wrong point of the season where you basically had to be as close to perfect as possible the last 1/4 of the year.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I wonder if the lowly regarded draft (weak at the top and alarmingly shallow, especially compared to last year) will result in more lottery trades than normal, maybe even the ultra rare trade downw?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What happens to the bulls if everyone is healthy next year. With Coby actually being good and deserving of the ball does it turn into a mess?

I guess a good problem the bulls want to see but feels like their on a really weird treadmill.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

What happens to the bulls if everyone is healthy next year. With Coby actually being good and deserving of the ball does it turn into a mess?

I guess a good problem the bulls want to see but feels like their on a really weird treadmill.

if everyone is healthy the bulls will compete for the 9 seed.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it is very funny that zach made his big trade demand after leading the bulls to a garbage record, then the team gets notably better in his absence, and then he returns and tried to look like a functional role player to help grease the trades before it was obvious that no team in the entire nba is willing to take on his contract and thinks he actually sucks, and i would bet anything he just shows up on the bulls again next season.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

I wonder if the lowly regarded draft (weak at the top and alarmingly shallow, especially compared to last year) will result in more lottery trades than normal, maybe even the ultra rare trade downw?

I think we might see more trade downs, contract dumps, trading picks for guys who are on rookie scale deals but have underperformed or trying to get a pick in 2025 or 2026. Slots 1-5 have pretty high salaries, so you really need like a guy to go for it.

Woj said he expects more transactions than normal and I bet the uncertainty around the draft is part of it.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
https://x.com/KCJHoop/status/1781518721510445315

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

drive your car into the lake
https://x.com/CodyWesterlund/status/1781762460665422150

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Rick posted:

Kings won enough games to comfortably make the playoffs in most NBA seasons but unfortunately went ice cold at the wrong point of the season where you basically had to be as close to perfect as possible the last 1/4 of the year.

Not really. Not sure if it was the coaching or what, but it was a problem all season that the Kings played the level of their opponent. They could beat up a top level team one night and only a few days later get blown out by a garbage tier team. They were wildly inconsistent. Then came the late season injuries. Huerter going down probably helped the starting line-up but cost depth. Then losing Monk completely de-fanged the bench (and he was the third best player on the team all up). I guess we'll see what happens in the offseason, but I am not optimistic they will do much.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what

quote:

A source said the Bulls recently offered DeRozan’s representative a two-year deal at a high annual salary, perhaps as much as $40 million per season. For now, DeRozan is seeking a longer-term deal, but that merely be part of negotiations.

from https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nba/chicago-bulls/bulls-analysis/bulls-arturas-karnisovas-vows-to-make-changes/556215/

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I mean, he's not wrong.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I mean, he's not wrong.

You can't do the this isn't working I'm accountable poo poo when you've done absolutely nothing for 3 years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm not saying Arturas is secretly great at his job or anything but I'm pretty sure the core problem is Reinsdorf won't take the revenue hit a real rebuild requires. Caruso was his guy right, that was good. And, uhh, he didn't cut bait on Coby so that's nice. But I also don't know what he could do when the real answer is his main engine doesn't work for anything more than 40 wins.

You can fire him but Jerry is just going to hire a guy who says he's going to do the same thing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the vooch trade is one of the worst trades in the last decade of the nba

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

R.D. Mangles posted:

the vooch trade is one of the worst trades in the last decade of the nba

He’s played very well for you guys and Wagner is good but may never be great, and Orlando wasted the second pick on Jett Howard. End of the day if Lonzo had been healthy the Bulls would have been a top team the last 3 years but he was too critical a part for them to lose imo

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The Lonzo Bulls are definitely a great NBA “what if?” That they’ve failed to identify a replacement immediately is on them.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’m not a huge Lonzo fan all things considered but he’s a hard piece to replace

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Lonzo for CP3 might have been better for the Wizards over Poole. Then they Wizards could have considered trading Tyus Jones if they felt Lonzo may be somewhat healthy next season. If not, they would still only have him on contract for shorter than Poole.

CP3 on the Bulls probably could have gotten them to the playoffs at least given how weak the East was. Definitely not a major contender but a lot better than whatever the Bulls are doing right now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

He’s played very well for you guys and Wagner is good but may never be great, and Orlando wasted the second pick on Jett Howard. End of the day if Lonzo had been healthy the Bulls would have been a top team the last 3 years but he was too critical a part for them to lose imo

Vooch loving sucks.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

Vooch loving sucks.

He's fine. Perfectly serviceable. The problem is they were hoping for more than that.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1782535884430082558

Under a fun CBA Trae Young and Zach LaVine could simply join Lebron after being weighed, measured, and determined not alpha.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lasagna Pilot posted:

https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1782535884430082558

Under a fun CBA Trae Young and Zach LaVine could simply join Lebron after being weighed, measured, and determined not alpha.

Trae definitely needs a LeBron in his life.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
The Many Eras of the 2023-2024 Toronto Raptors

Before It Began:
Awful finish last season in the play-in against the Bulls, who are also garbage. In the off-season we draw Gradey Dick who has an all-timer name, but anything else remains to be seen. The team is dumb as gently caress. We sign Dennis Schroeder who apparently makes it a condition that he be a starter. Trading picks and Khem Birch for Jakob Poeltl is not only not worth it for Jakob (who is fine), but actively harms the inevitable rebuild. This also makes it impossible for Gary Trent Jr. to start. He is relegated to the bench for the foreseeable future, and will be prevented from development, consistent with the Raptors prior strategy. The front office, despite having multiple contracts ending this season for valuable, tradeable dudes, decides to do nothing with them and instead make their position worse by the day. This team is going nowhere, they'd be lucky to have a first round exit, and doing anything but starting the rebuild is again simply making the team worse for no reason. Nick Nurse leaves. I assume he was partly responsible for the bad decisions of the last couple years.

===========================================================================
Emerging Buds
Era the First: a Birth, with Stench
Starting 5: Dennis Schroeder -- Scottie Barnes -- OG Anunoby -- Pascal Siakam -- Jakob Poeltl
............................................................................................................................................................
Poeltl and Pascal are the only players of any offensive consistency. Dennis goes back and forth between taking 3 and 11 threes each game, mostly missing. Scottie takes the first three quarters off for most games. The team is bad, they lose just about every game, but also crush the Mavs and Bucks in early November, as well as an exciting finish against the Spurs and Wemby. Christian Koloko seems to have long covid.
Gradey Dick does not have the conditioning play in the NBA, he's always out of order on defence, and his shots don't fall. He'll take a month and a half off for training and re-education.
December 30. Record of this Era: 12-19.

Squirrel in the Cherry Tree, Malicious
Era the Second: Water bucket, forgotten at home.
Starting 5: Immanuel Quickley -- Scottie Barnes -- RJ Barrett -- Pascal Siakam -- Jakob Poeltl
............................................................................................................................................................
OG, Precious, and Malachi are traded to the Knicks for IQ and Barrett. The Schroeder experiment is an apparent failure, he is now an old man on the bench, no one is happy. The Knicks get two pieces they'll love and one who deserved better than what they'll do with him, we get a Canadian and bench 2, but they come out flashy and have some nice looking performances. The organization apparently comes to terms with starting the rebuild despite all of the media/pr/podcasters/youtubers(christ almighty) demanding that the Raptors are still competitive despite being awful and imploding. Matt Devlin is more unlistenable than ever.
the Ides of January. Record of this Era: 3-6

Colony Collapse Disorder
Era the Third: the Pollen, separate, incomplete
Starting 5: Immanuel Quickley -- Gary Trent Jr -- RJ Barrett -- Scottie Barnes -- Jakob Poeltl
Pascal goes to Indiana for Jordan Nwora, Bruce Brown and Kira Lewis Jr. On his way out Pascal injures Jak's ankle, leading to a handful of games with J̵̩͋̍o̷͖͙͐n̸̛̗͑t̸͍͗à̶̝͝y̷̢̔̊ ̶̦̮̓̉P̴̧͕̄͝ö̷̻́r̷̅̕ͅṱ̸͂e̷̮̎r̴̯͈͌ starting. This will not be good. The memory of Bruce Brown sounds like a good basketball player. Jordan Nwora is way taller than I remembered, and has a 28 point game where we barely lose to the Hawks despite him also forcing a ludicrous Trae turnover in the final seconds. Gary Trent Jr is starting, and will almost always be the number 1 or 2 scorer, unless IQ accidentally goes 50%+ from 3. IQ is not a 1 and Scottie begins his Sad Phase. In 2023, Scottie would have two or three great passes a game but from here on out, he might have 1 acceptable pass, and several turnovers on awful passes and bad decisions.
February Sennight. Record of this Era 3-8

Mildew Takes Hold
Era the Fourth: approached by White Death
Starting 5: Immanuel Quickley -- Gary Trent Jr -- RJ Barrett -- Scottie Barnes -- Jakob Poeltl
Scottie goes to the All Star game, despite not really deserving it. Schroeder and Thad go to the Nets. We mourn Thad. We get Spencer Dinwiddie and immediately waive him. Kira and Otto go to Utah, we get Ochai who is exciting.

And Kelly Olynyk.

gently caress.
March third. Record of this Era 5-5

Embers in the Air
Era the Fifth: Destruction Without, from Within
Starting 5: Immanuel Quickley -- Gary Trent Jr -- RJ Barrett -- Ochai Agbaji -- Kelly Olynyk.
Scottie Barnes breaks his third metacarpal on IQ's calf somehow, ending his season. Two days later, Jakob dislocates his finger on a completely stationary Brandon Miller, needs surgery and is out indefinitely. Kelly Olynyk is annoying and poo poo, Ochai has no confidence outside of oops, Bruce Brown misses 90% of his layups, especially when they're uncontested or on a fastbreak (while still uncontested).
March eleven. Record of this Era 0-4

Stillness, Quiet
Era the Sixth: a Log, with fungus. Bugs eat Dust.
Starting 5: Anybody's guess.
Ochai has a scary fall from an oop and won't get another lob for the rest of the season. RJ Barrett and IQ both lose family. Everything's pretty bad for everybody. Freeman-Liberty gets plenty of playing time though, and that's cool. He was good in summer league. Matt Devlin calls Mouhamadou Gueye "Mo-G" which is too close to "OG" and is annoying. Most games Matt Devlin talks about football or hockey, or makes awful small talk with Alvin Williams. Alvin tries to make it work, but it's brutal. The season ends. Jontay Porter is banned for life.
Record of this Era 2-15

Final Record: 25-57

I watched all of every game, besides Ochai's first, because golf went long and overwrote the first half of that game. gently caress golf. The team still doesn't make much sense, there's not much to build off, Gary is probably gone, Kelly is apparently planning to retire here, god damnit. Hopefully this team becomes fun while still losing instead of just brutally miserable while losing.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 23, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That's a real good writeup, and a tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress off
https://x.com/KCJHoop/status/1782908287073026433