Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Coby White got robbed. His contract last season was under the mid level exception. He wasn't a very good player and no one expected him to improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Coby White got robbed. His contract last season was under the mid level exception. He wasn't a very good player and no one expected him to improve.

It's unfortunately just turned to "favorite new all star" award which makes it kind of pointless to me.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think it's been clear for a while that the Spurs weren't/aren't going to bite on Trae. My prediction is they barely make any moves in the offseason beyond absorbing contracts for picks and signing some cheap plug-in vets, and they spend another year tanking and trying a million different lineups.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm not confident enough in my knowledge to attempt a big state of the Spurs summary but I'll attempt a small bulleted list.

- First off, obviously, Wemby was amazing, somehow even better than the hype. I'm still cautious to assume the Spurs can win a championship with him because the rest of the roster sucks and there are and will be a lot of really good teams for the next few years.
- The Spurs were complete and total rear end for the first half of the season. They were neck and neck with the Pistons at the bottom of the standings for the first few months, and they broke the franchise record losing streak over November-December.
- The Spurs' starting lineup for the first third or so had Wemby at PF, Zach Collins at Center, and Jeremy Sochan at PG. It sucked. Collins was a good enough stretch 5 at the end of the prior season to play his way into the starting lineup, but this season he forgot how to shoot and isn't big enough to be a bruiser so he couldn't really do much. Sochan had never played point guard before but Pop decided to torture the poor guy by making it look like was intentionally avoiding passing to the giant alien man on his team when it was more like he was trying to figure out how to pass to anyone.
- My pet theory is that this period was a Machiavellian stage show set up by Pop where on the surface the lineup was accommodating Wemby's desire to play power forward instead of center but the true purpose was to create a lineup that would have all of its problems instantly fixed by Wemby moving to center since that would let Sochan go back to PF, make room for a point guard, and put Zach Collins back on the bench. This setup was created to incept the idea in Wemby's head that he wanted to play center.
- The Spurs need three point shooting, a point guard, backup bigs, and someone to be Wemby's costar. Vassell is the second best guy on the team now but hasn't shown All-Star potential yet. The Spurs will probably tank next year to try and find their #2 guy in the draft, perhaps in the form of Cooper Flagg and/or wait and hope that a big star becomes available on the trade market in the next couple years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Spurs played Wemby next to a Big "Big" because they didn't want to risk injury (see: The short runs AD tends to have when being a sole Big, especially early in his career). The 2nd half of the season it was apparent he was WAY more durable and resilient than you would have expected.

I still don't know if Wemby will be a single big logn term, he may play C but they might pair him with a more bruising PF to play down low more often (Like a Vanderbilt type that LA uses to spell AD), or they find a more dynamic C than Zach Collins and Wemby spends more time at the 4. The big thing though is Wemby isn't the injury risk that most people would expect looking at his body type. If the Spurs did nothing else, seeing this makes his rookie year MASSIVELY successful.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I agree, Alex Caruso https://x.com/ACFresh21/status/1782951322200727552

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm not confident enough in my knowledge to attempt a big state of the Spurs summary but I'll attempt a small bulleted list.

- First off, obviously, Wemby was amazing, somehow even better than the hype. I'm still cautious to assume the Spurs can win a championship with him because the rest of the roster sucks and there are and will be a lot of really good teams for the next few years.
- The Spurs were complete and total rear end for the first half of the season. They were neck and neck with the Pistons at the bottom of the standings for the first few months, and they broke the franchise record losing streak over November-December.
- The Spurs' starting lineup for the first third or so had Wemby at PF, Zach Collins at Center, and Jeremy Sochan at PG. It sucked. Collins was a good enough stretch 5 at the end of the prior season to play his way into the starting lineup, but this season he forgot how to shoot and isn't big enough to be a bruiser so he couldn't really do much. Sochan had never played point guard before but Pop decided to torture the poor guy by making it look like was intentionally avoiding passing to the giant alien man on his team when it was more like he was trying to figure out how to pass to anyone.
- My pet theory is that this period was a Machiavellian stage show set up by Pop where on the surface the lineup was accommodating Wemby's desire to play power forward instead of center but the true purpose was to create a lineup that would have all of its problems instantly fixed by Wemby moving to center since that would let Sochan go back to PF, make room for a point guard, and put Zach Collins back on the bench. This setup was created to incept the idea in Wemby's head that he wanted to play center.
- The Spurs need three point shooting, a point guard, backup bigs, and someone to be Wemby's costar. Vassell is the second best guy on the team now but hasn't shown All-Star potential yet. The Spurs will probably tank next year to try and find their #2 guy in the draft, perhaps in the form of Cooper Flagg and/or wait and hope that a big star becomes available on the trade market in the next couple years.

It's as good a theory as any. Also it just didn't hurt to see if Sochan had another layer to his game in a low stakes season.

I think it was a successful year for the Spurs, they did a lot of experimenting and Wemby looked good.

Lockback posted:

Spurs played Wemby next to a Big "Big" because they didn't want to risk injury (see: The short runs AD tends to have when being a sole Big, especially early in his career). The 2nd half of the season it was apparent he was WAY more durable and resilient than you would have expected.

I still don't know if Wemby will be a single big logn term, he may play C but they might pair him with a more bruising PF to play down low more often (Like a Vanderbilt type that LA uses to spell AD), or they find a more dynamic C than Zach Collins and Wemby spends more time at the 4. The big thing though is Wemby isn't the injury risk that most people would expect looking at his body type. If the Spurs did nothing else, seeing this makes his rookie year MASSIVELY successful.

If they were to end up with Flagg, he's a lot closer to a traditional center in play style of course that's a huge if.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah Flagg would be a perfect example. Wemby would be the C but Flagg would likely take at least half of the down-low banging around. I think there exists guys who aren't superstars who could do that.

I also don't know if the Spurs will be bad enough next year to get the presumed #1 spot though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

It's as good a theory as any. Also it just didn't hurt to see if Sochan had another layer to his game in a low stakes season.

I think it was a successful year for the Spurs, they did a lot of experimenting and Wemby looked good.

If they were to end up with Flagg, he's a lot closer to a traditional center in play style of course that's a huge if.

I don’t watch high school ball but isn’t flag like 6’9”? I thought he was more of a long athletic wing

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t watch high school ball but isn’t flag like 6’9”? I thought he was more of a long athletic wing

Depends on who you believe. He claims 6'10". I don't watch high school ball either but at the Nike Hoops summit the talk was about him as a drop center.

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 25, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

From the bits I've seen, he plays like a modern 4. I mean he can probably play the wing but I think you want him to be doing a bunch of stuff including down low. And I think if you have a guy who can defend bigs you probably want another long athletic guy at the 3 since you always want those guys.

Early look is flagg is good enough that you don't worry about conventional positions.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome to the Phoenix Suns.

I've been a pretty big critic of just about every move in the Ishbia era although he is still a better owner than Sarver so at least there's that.

They pretty much don't have a choice but to bring the core back and it's possible with more time for people to slide into their roles. I imagine they will pay O'Neale, who, like usual, was Fine. But, they're likely going to have to refresh their minimum players just because those dudes almost never stick around multiple years for various reasons. However,, they actually out-competed the Bucks and Lakers for league minimum players because Durant is so popular with his peers, so maybe they can improve those minimum guys. But that also means it's gonna be difficult to really build roster continuity. Still I think Booker and Durant really do have something, they just need to find a way make it apply to a whole team.

I am impressed that Vogel got the team to play defense at a fairly high level during the regular season but it was on the back of a lot of unreliable defensive players and well, they were bad in the playoffs. The fact he brought the worst parts of his Lakers staff with him though (guys that the Lakers forced on him, it's not like these are his long time coaching friends) remains confusing and might ultimately cost him another job. But being real, I'm not sure the Suns have offensive problems that can be coached through since the pieces do not fit together well. Maybe Spo could do it. Since he's not coming through the door I fear for whoever is putting on that athletic turtleneck next.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I don’t even know man. I don’t think I’ve ever rooted for the suns to lose before but if I was going to last night would have been it. This team was fun to watch approximately four times the entire season. When you look at a team with Kevin Durant, Devin Booker, and Brad Beal, and the player who is giving the most consistent effort is loving Grayson Allen, you got some problems. At this point I’m mostly just glad I don’t have to watch these dudes middy their way to another embarrassing L until the fall. This team completely drained my enthusiasm to watch basketball to the point that I started caring about the nfl draft more than the playoffs. gently caress this edition of the suns.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

suns have had awful vibes for 3 years straight, kevin young said in an interview as the next byu coach that he didn't like the iso ball, and they just had a hitpiece come out from shams. I dont know. I guess once again it's easy to say that more continuity, healthy d lee, healthy grayson allen, and whatever fringe players they can pick up and they make the playoffs again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Hornets explicitly said they wanted to have their coaching search wrapped up by the start of the first round of the playoffs and we're nearly entering round two. The longer this stretches on the more likely I think it is that they have Charles Lee locked in and have been asked to hold onto the announcement, but I'm also ready for a swift kick to the balls in the form of HC Jerry Stackhouse any day now

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

hifi posted:

suns have had awful vibes for 3 years straight, kevin young said in an interview as the next byu coach that he didn't like the iso ball, and they just had a hitpiece come out from shams. I dont know. I guess once again it's easy to say that more continuity, healthy d lee, healthy grayson allen, and whatever fringe players they can pick up and they make the playoffs again

I know it’s kind of a tossup on the minimum guys but they struck out so hard this time lol.

Booker and Durant underwhelmed for sure, this team needs a vocal leader on the court and doesn’t have one because Bradley Beal was hurt on and off and didn’t really fit very well. But they are probably stuck with him so I hope he can find a more concrete role next season that will allow for him to contribute consistently. This is me trying to be optimistic.

Nurkic got exposed hard in the playoffs but was pretty good in the regular season. His backup was probably the worst player on the team so I’m hoping they just draft a big at 22 and ease them in, better that than trying to trade for fuckin Jon Issac or something. Grayson Allen was leaps and bounds better than anybody was expecting. No complaints with him at all. Royce O’Neal was fine, hopefully they can re sign him.

Of the bench crew, nas little will be here until we can trade him so not much to say about him. Bol Bol was ok but fell out of the rotation by like late February, I wouldn’t mind having him back. Otherwise Eric Gordon was bad, Thad young didn’t play, drew “tamperworthy” eubanks was atrocious and Damion lee didn’t play at all. Hopefully he will be back next year as one of the minimum guys, even if he’s a bad defender at least he can shoot and fit in small ball units off the bench.

Frank Vogel was not a good fit for this roster and probably should get fired if the players were actively tuning him out and mocking him although that was pretty obvious spin from shams so I’m not sure it’s worth taking seriously. But it didn’t work.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Maybe they can trick budenholzer into coming here. He’s from the area anyway. Idk

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think people who criticize effort, especially in regular season games, don't really understand what's going on on the court and I'll die on this hill.
I don't mean the hordes of smart fans and writers who say "low effort" are dumb, I mean they're criticizing someone who's making a choice, consciously or unconsciously, to back off a bit and maybe for good reason.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

It’s pretty much impossible to overstate how bad the future is looking for the Suns. Vogel will be the fall guy, he probably could have been better but I don’t think it’s his fault.

They won’t do it, but I’d like to see what they could get for Booker (and KD) and refill the draft coffer. And maybe hire a GM who isn’t hostile to the idea of scouting and drafting players. Everyone points to the KD trade loving things up, but if James Jones hadn’t been completely negligent over the years they still might have had some depth left over.

I’m really disappointed in Booker. I think he’s been unambiguously exposed as a guy who can’t really be a first option on a championship team. He’s too in love with nice looking but low efficiency shots - it’s sick when he’s hot, but that’s becoming less and less frequent. He’s not a smart player and he’s not a good culture guy. A lot of fans (myself included) have pointed at other guys over the years who were toxic or whatever. They’re all gone now. Booker is the only one who’s left and it’s worse than ever.

Oh well!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Do the second apron rules mean that phoenix can't even package grayson allen to try to unload beal's contract

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

Do the second apron rules mean that phoenix can't even package grayson allen to try to unload beal's contract

No, that direction is pretty easy to work around as long as they're not trying to bring back more salary, but I can't see that being a realistic approach anyway. Suns need more NBA-level guys, not less.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Lockback posted:

No, that direction is pretty easy to work around as long as they're not trying to bring back more salary, but I can't see that being a realistic approach anyway. Suns need more NBA-level guys, not less.

My reading of the new rules is basically the Suns can’t trade a guy making $50m for two guys making $25m each. They need to find someone else making $50m and do a swap 1 for 1.

This means any max level guy is only going to able to be moved for a different max level guy. Coupled with no MLE and basically the Suns can do gently caress all for moves this summer.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Nystral posted:

My reading of the new rules is basically the Suns can’t trade a guy making $50m for two guys making $25m each. They need to find someone else making $50m and do a swap 1 for 1.

This means any max level guy is only going to able to be moved for a different max level guy. Coupled with no MLE and basically the Suns can do gently caress all for moves this summer.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/basketball/2024/2024-nba-trade-deadline-cba-second-apron-1234765452/

Never heard of that site before but that language is duplicated basically on every news blog post about the second apron so presumably it's copied from a NBA press release.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nystral posted:

Other way. They can't trade two guys making $20m each for someone making $40m. They also can't take more money back then they send in any trade.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome to the Pelicans. I had fun watching the team this year when I was able to.

It was exciting to watch Zion's growth and at least for a while it looked like him and Ingram had chemistry but that just wasn't the case after injuries and Ingram was nasty bad when he returned and once Zion went down that was it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have thoughts about the Pels. Let's share the good stuff, though, so I can go to bed without being in a bad mood.

- tied for second best regular season record in franchise history!
- zion played more games in a season than he ever has before and he looked like he could be a #1 option on a great team and was back to playing Duke-level defense by the end of the season
- trey, herb, and dyson are continuing to get better
- hawkins showed some promise as a +rebounder for his position
- jv was as reliable as ever
- cj changed his shot diet for the betterment of the team
- naji played really well and i'm excited that it looks like he will get paid next season
- team can play good defense with bad defensive personnel
- great ist and city court; fantastic city jerseys
- a great selection of musical guests and halftime shows throughout the season
- ingram learned to play defense for a few weeks there

for the bad:
- injuries forced some guys to play above their station but also showed that some guys need to swap starter/bench roles
- the two remaining lead guys available for the playoffs didn't show up
- jonas will be gone (ufa)
- naji will be gone (ufa)
- dyson still needs a couple more things he can do consistently on offense
- hawkins still needs to learn nba rotations and figure out his shot against nba pressure
- team won't sell calls and it hurts them on both ends
- coach green is too stubborn and seems to over-prioritize winning regular season games vs player development
- zion didn't come into the season in shape. again. which affected so much of how the first half of the season played out
- nance is too inconsistent and small and coach green relies on him too much to solve every problem
- ingram didn't learn how to play off-ball and was unable to dribble against a legit great defender in dort during the playoffs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lakers...hello

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Banished to hellheim by a clay doofus and animated muppet.

Please preserve the wolves.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

as a lifelong lakers fan im used to my team spawning into cancun

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Breaking news from Twitter: according to the friend of some kind of Instagram model with a podcast (?), LeBron is DEFINITELY leaving L.A.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ghost Dog posted:

as a lifelong lakers fan im used to my team spawning into cancun

championships come and go but friendship is forever

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It's time to exhume the banana boat

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I gotta say, usually when the Lakers lose in 5 games, it's a split of the first two games then 3-4 losses in a row. This honestly feels way better than that if you gotta lose. I feel pretty nice right now, not gonna lie.

All in all, the original sin is the Russ trade. The Lakers have been struggling to get enough NBA players to be competitive since then. The Russell for Russell trade last season helped because it also brought in Jared Vanderbilt who gave them a second defensive player, and the volume shooter in D'Angelo Russell who could also take some of the distribution chores away from LeBron.

This season, building upon that, the Lakers had their best season since 2019. But the west got better too which left them in the same place. I don't think Vanderbilt would have made a huge difference this series but had he been healthy maybe they don't play this matchup to start the playoffs. Maybe they can win a playoff series against a Clippers team whose number they've had this year but would that have made it a better year? Not to me but maybe for some fans.

I think the idea that the Lakers lose only because of Ham is wrong, but also I don't think he's super good, either. Last year it looked like over the course of the year he learned from his mistakes but this year a lot of the same problems propped up. I dunno, there are worse coaches and I'd be afraid to fire him and bring in like, Terry Stotts or Mark Jackson.

I'm not super excited about the potential of consolidating what little depth the Lakers have into another unperfect star but it would shock no one if they do that this offseason. I really think they should use this good season and build upon it. But since firing Kupchak they have never been a patient team.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

just a couple of moves away. big things coming in Year 22

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the lakers need Zach LaVine, IMO

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Laker bench is very thin and kinda stinks.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

.. or was? Who knows what will happen during the Deal Zone

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Of all the teams who are losing in the first round, I'm curious who is going to look at 2025 & 2026 drafts and decide to blow it up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

toggle posted:

Laker bench is very thin and kinda stinks.

It's pretty bad. They do have the mini MLE, they might even be able to get the full MLE if they do a small trade but their ability to improve it is gonna still be based on what minimum players they can get pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1785179872308105633

That's gotta be a record turnaround time on the Coach Dead; What Went Wrong postmortem