Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Problem description:
Whenever I stream audio from non-mic sources (web capture, direct application capture) through any application (discord, obs, parsec) after a variable length of time between 20 and 40 minutes, any viewer or listener hears a noticable crackle overlaying the audio. Restarting the stream fixes it for an equivalent length of time.

Attempted fixes:Have read that various voltages should be modified at the bios level, no noticable change after tweaking. Have also read that perhaps there's a frequency mismatch between output and streaming application. I've set all possible combinations of 16/24 bit audio and 44.1 and 48khz sample rates for all devices without rectifying the problem. No toggling of discord or parsec settings has been able to fix the error. BIOS and Drivers are all the most recent available for CPU/GPU and audio devices.

Recent changes: The problem has existed since computer was built in December, although it went away for a 2 month period only to resurface after attempting to install moonlight/sunshine to stream over wifi to a televison on the same network. Uninstalling and reverting the changes made did not fix the return of the crackle.

os Windows 11 64bit 10.0.22631 Build 22631

System specs:Custom Build:
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Raphael AM5 4.2GHz
MAG X670E TOMAHAWK (MS-7E12)
G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
Crucial P3 Plus 4TB 3D NAND Flash PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Corsair RMx Series RM850x 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX
Outputting to a Steelseries Arctis Pro over USB, and a cheapo set of Logitech Z323 speakers straight from the motherboard

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
To be clear... do *you* hear the crackle or is it only streaming. Does it show on recordings?

Do you hear it through your a headset? Thru speakers? If you channel the audio to the screen/tv does the screen/TV crackle?

If you are NOT streaming, does it happen? Not streaming but recording?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Only when streaming, I do not hear it over headphone/speaker. I disabled/uninstalled the audio going through my graphics card over hdmi to my displays.

I haven't been recording, next time I have a session I'll see if I can grab a clip when it happens.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
OK then the problem probably lies within the encoding to stream right?

I remember having to adjust bit rates for a lovely streaming set up I hab years ago. Or switch to Intel fast or something?

Check the encoding/streaming settings for stuff like that

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I think I have it narrowed down to an issue with the Windows audio buffer. There's a post on the OBS github that very directly describes what's happening to me: https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/issues/8064

Need to spend a hot minute finally installing voice meter and attempting to run everything through it instead.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Voicemeter is the tits I will never uninstall it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Installing Voicemeter and ASIO4ALL to set my buffer rate from 512 to 256 managed to completely remove it in the 2 hours of testing tonight.