Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fats posted:

I played a couple hours and I think I like it? I got through the first "boss" and into the town, my only real complaint is that the fixed camera angle can make it hard to judge spacing from enemies. Shields seem good, the stamina penalty for blocking is way more forgiving than the huge chunks of health you lose getting hit. It's definitely pretty.

I haven't had any performance issues or crashes, but that's on a 4090 so it's not a great measure.

I got to Sacrament but now that I've learned the game is first chapter only I don't really want to keep playing. I hope this isn't a BG3 scenario where it's going to be years before the game is actually out. Still, what's there is exciting and I don't regret having bought it, I just wish it was done narratively even if they were going to add enhancements/patches later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The dense, intricate levels thick with loop backs and hidden objects is a major selling point for me, and the platforming supports that. The healing I'm a lot less sold on but I'm willing to see where the developer is going with that mechanic.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MrMidnight posted:

Not feeling this game tbqh. Definitely not for the usual ARPG crowd (D4, PoE and Last Epoch).

Appreciate the attempt at a new style though. Will check back after awhile.

Yeah I'd stress it's much more of, like. A beat em up than a Diablo.

I was worried the combat was bad on the ship but that was just a combination of being limited and unfamiliar. Even just by the time I was halfway through marine hold I liked it much more.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Play posted:

Shame, I was really getting in the groove and hoping there would be more.
I'm hoping the full game is multiple times longer than what I've done so far, because I would be so down for way, way more of that.

This is why I played two sittings, suddenly thought "But what does Early Access mean", looked up this thread and stopped playing.

This has become my most anticipated game, but it's my most anticipated, rather than the best game I've played lately, because it isn't actually out.

It's fine, I should have paid more attention to the release plans. I hope the EA purchases give them what they need to finish the game in this increasingly volatile industry.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It does suck, and it's getting lame as hell that it's a genuine novelty when a game releases on Steam and I get to say "oh it's, like, out out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

So does it reinvent the genre

In many ways it feels like a trip back to older action adventure Beat em ups, like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.

It's like "whut if you explored a Metroidvania version of Path of exile's world, from Diablo's camera, with Dark Soul's combat mechanics."

So none of it is revolutionary, but this combination is novel.

And yes, the graphics are strikingly new in a way that isn't common in today's games. I'd like to see more games do what this game does not just with light but with the color of light. If this is the result of some new tech I'm extremely interested in seeing more of it