Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This game loving owns. I'm about 10 hours in and I can't stop playing. There's definitely some tweaking and some QoL they need to do, but otherwise I am absolutely sold. Playing a build that's a 2h sword and minimal armor that just constantly regens health passively, regens health on hit, and regens health on kill. I haven't gotten very good at parries yet, but I can dodge roll and then wind up my big ol' honkin' sword.

This is certainly not a Diablo-like. It has a Diablo-like loot system, but honestly games with that are a dime a dozen. It's much slower, has isometric Souls-like combat. It definitely rewards exploration and taking your time.

I can definitely see people bouncing off of it, but honestly the camera style, the platforming, the level design, are all core elements of the game. A lot of the early complaints, like about durability, don't make much sense to me. In Darksouls when you die enemies respawn. Here they stay dead, but when you die your items lose durability. It's extremely cheap and easy to repair and honestly you have to be dying a ton for to be a problem.

Looking forward to seeing what they end up doing with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had the same problem and used the same workaround. I imagine it's a bug and will hopefully be fixed at some point. Took me way too long to give up and look it up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Seriously though, how strong is the Souls influence here? I don't mind hard games, but it's the specific type of plodding, labored combat and harsh penalties for dying that ruin these games for me.

I'm definitely not an expert on the topic, only played a bit of the Dark Souls remake and then Elden Ring, which life got in the way for. Looking forward to the DLC so I have an incentive to pick it back up!

But I'll say that the combat could be categorized as "plodding and labored." It's not Hades or Dead Cells. Especially early on, everything feels dangerous and there's a bit of a war of attrition going on. After about 10 hours in I'm feeling a lot more comfortable and combat isn't terrifying anymore. I've found a build that works for me and I'd say I feel like I can mow things down at a good place.

You will definitely die, though. I think most people can get through the tutorial without trouble and it's not like a typical Darksouls game where something is going to destroy you to teach you death. I made it through the first boss without dying and I'm not a gaming god. On the other hand, it took me probably about 15-20 tries for a recent boss I just did. Each time it was a ~30s run back from the waypoint. When resource are tight early on, dying can sting a little, but it very quickly becomes a minor annoyance at worst and a chance to approach things differently at best. Enemies do not respawn when you die, it takes a couple of hours.

Check some video and see what the combat looks like to you. If it's borderline, I'd say give it a shot. You're not the only one who bounced off "Souls-likes" only to find something that you like. I'd say this one is different enough that it could be that game for a lot of people.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I had the same problem and used the same workaround. I imagine it's a bug and will hopefully be fixed at some point. Took me way too long to give up and look it up.

Looks like they just released quite a large patch that has a fix for this.

[Edit: and clay drops, interestingly enough]

https://forum.norestforthewicked.com/t/patch-notes-early-access-hotfix-3/5257

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 23, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah their pace and what they've been fixing have both been super on point. In that Steam thread the devs said they are looking at inventory management.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Play posted:

By the way, what does having an extra main hand and off hand slot do? You can just switch between them?

I haven't used it yet for the same reasons you describe, feeling obligated to use my upgrade for inventory slots. I am pretty sure it just lets you swap between. See the left and right d-pad keybinds in your item quick wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I understand the complaints about the item durability, but I honestly can't agree. It seems like one of those things where people have been burnt by having that mechanism in a game enough times that they just instantly say they don't like it. Like encumbrance mechanics, lots of death as a game mechanic in general, or maybe to a lesser degree these days checkpoint saves. I think it's implemented quite well and meshes with the rest of their overall progression loop. If they take it out they'll have to put in something like Darksouls with campfires that rest enemies and refill your flask.

I thought SkillUp's take on it more or less matched mine. Apologies, not sure where in the review, but it's short enough and an entertaining watch if you haven't seen it.

I also never really felt any sting from it. Just enough of an annoyance to make dying significant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I32_hpf-33c