Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

6-7 years old. Wife said she got a screen on it that said overclock fail and that it would reset to default and try again and then it worked for a week (at default clocks) and now it just tries endlessly to start booting and fails, 5-10 seconds the power shuts off and it restarts, never gets to the splash screen i don't think.

Assuming this is most likely a PSU issue but wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts.

Mobo does have a reset button on it but I'm scared to press it thinking it might reset to 7 year old firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It's usually solved by removing and reseating the ram. Even doing a quick wipe with a microfiber on the RAM stick gold contacts is not a bad idea.

Blow out the sockets etc. be careful etc.

If it's not that then it may need to be set to a different "Boot Mode" as there are 2 that are common for older machines: UEFI Boot and Legacy boot. Switch to UEFI if it's on legacy, and vice versa

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tried reseating memory and doing different sticks in various slots, didn't help. Realized that there were LEDs telling me it was either the CPU or the Mobo so I just upgraded both