Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Key Dates
NOTE: In all their wisdom, the NBA has decided to put the 2nd round of the NBA draft on its own day.
• April 27: NBA Early Entry Eligibility Deadline (11:59 p.m. ET)
• May 12: NBA Draft Lottery 2024
• May 13-19: NBA Combine (Chicago, IL)
• June 16: NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5 p.m. ET)
• June 26: NBA Draft 2024 (First Round)
• June 27: NBA Draft 2024 (Second Round)

Introduction
The NBA has a lot of good teams this year. The Thunder took a huge leap and might be able to squeeze in a chip before Wemby ruins the NBA. You know what the Thunder did? THEY BUILT THROUGH THE DRAFT (sort of). Now, everyone thinks they are Sam Fuckin' Presti.

Welcome to the 2024 NBA Draft Thread

The NBA had a lot of bad NBA teams this year. The Pistons lost 28 games in a row. The Wizards played ring-around-the-rosie with Jordan Poole. The Blazers lost by over 60 points, twice! The Raptors were so bad, their own player bet they would lose! Within the pantheon of American Sports, it is by right that when you stink, you deserve to be better. You deserve a top NBA draft pick. You deserve Anthony Edwards, Paolo Banchero, Victor Wembanyama.

Not this year!

So how bad is this draft?
The best player in this draft, Sarr, would likely go #5 in the 2023 draft or 2025 draft at the earliest. The next tier of players are closer to 10th-15th. This year’s class is claimed to be so bad; they are inventing new superlatives to describe it.

Whichever GM gets the number 1 pick, they'll be fired in two years.
Better to have the 10th pick than the 1st pick.
Toronto should hope to convey their pick to San Antonio this year.
The Blazers are better off to have the Warriors move into the top-4 this year.

That it may be worse than the Anthony Bennett draft.

There is a ton of copium. No draft is that bad. Every draft has good players. The Anthony Bennet draft had Giannis!
• Want shooting? Can I interest you in a 6’1 white dude with T-Rex Arms? How about a 23-year-old JUCO star?
• Or another 6’1 dude who has the same defensive skill as Trae Young, but without nearly as much offense?
• Want playmaking? Can I interest in a 6’6 Point Guard who can’t shoot? How about a 6’6 wing who is afraid to shoot?
• Want size? Can I interest you in a 7’2 big man with a history of foot injuries?
• Want a wing? Can I interest you in a 6’10 skinny power forward who can’t dribble or pass? How about one that can’t shoot?

That is the problem with this draft. There is plenty of skill and talent in isolated areas, but it all smells like poo poo. If you took all the top wings, combined all their skills and size, LeBron would still beat the poo poo out of him, even at age 39.

Draft Order
With the way the salary cap works, people are unironically speculating that it is better to have the 6th or 7th pick than the 1st pick for cap flexibility. Let’s see your teams’ chances of winning it all!

Draft Protections / Tie Breakers
A few draft protections, which will be resolved by the day of the lottery.
• The Raptors owe a top-6 protected pick to San Antonio.
• The Warriors owe a top-4 protected pick to the Blazers.
• Utah owes a top-10 protected pick to OKC.

Two tie breakers for draft order. Portland and Charolette are tied for third and Sacramento and Golden State (owed to Portland) are tied for 13th. Expect Portland to lose both the tie breakers.

Resources
A lot of draft 'experts' out there. I’ve picked out my favorite sources. Sam Vecenie of the Athletic will post a huge draft guide with the top-75ish players closer to the draft. I personally like Hoop Intellect and Locked On NBA Big Board. No Ceilings is the place for highlight videos of all the prospects to convince yourself this draft is actually good.

Draft Order / Odds:
Tankathon

Big Boards / Mock Drafts: Plenty of others, like the Ringer, read at your own risk.
ESPN
Yahoo

YouTube Channels:
Hoop Intellect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu57qLnNv-8
Game Theory Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKHUaNiMARY
Locked on NBA Big Boards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WAPmYCd9QI
No Ceilings - They also have podcasts and some good articles, but gives me the vibes of LARPing. More power to them.
https://www.youtube.com/@NoCeilingsNBA

I'll reserve post 2 to dive into specific players, but here is my current top-10. I've watched at least a couple full games of each of these players and feel pretty comfortable with it. The tiers are based on this year's draft alone. I would take a player in each tier regardless of need. Tier 3, I would factor in need / fit.

Tier 1 - Will Improve Your Team.
Alexandre Sarr

Tier 2 - Solid NBA Players.
Stephon Castle
Dalton Knecht

Tier 3 - Pray they won't bust.
Reed Sheppard
Donovan Clingan
Rob Dillingham
Matas Buzelis
Ron Holland
Zaccharie Risacher
Cody Williams
Isiah Collier
Yves Missi

Tier 4 - Bust Vibes. I could look like an idiot.
Tidjane Saluan
Nikola Topic
Kyle Filipowski
Ja'Kobe Walter

Tier 5 - Zach Edey. Who the gently caress really knows. Definitely not you or I.
Zach Edey

Sleepers - Guys I kind of like who probably won't make it.
Kyshawn George
Izan Almansa
Kwame Evans
Nikola Djurisic
Johnny Furphy
Tyler Smith
Alex Karaban

A lot of other guys have intriguing profiles, but I don't like making judgements on players I haven't had a chance to watch at least a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Prospect Overview: Alexandre Sarr

Profile: 7’1”, 7'5 WS, 217

Year: 2005 Born (18)

9.7 PTS, 4.4 REB, 0.9 AST, 0.5 STL, 1.3 BLK, 17 MP

50.0 FG%, 27.6 3P%, 70.7 FT%

Current Ranking: NC- 1 | ESPN - 2 | BR - 1 | YAH - 1 | TANK - 2 | RING - 2

Pro Comparison: Evan Mobley

Sarr is another French Bigman who turns 19 in two days and will be one of the youngest players in this class. He projects as everything you want in a modern big. He is tall with a very long wingspan. He has a good amount of weight on him already. He is extremely agile, athletic, with a great vertical for his size. Playing for the Perth Wildcats in the NBL, his numbers didn't jump off the page. Context is key here as he played in a bench role, as a rim-runner and shot blocker. His rebounding numbers are also decent considering his primarily role was to alter shots, not grab boards.

He contributed to winning basketball. I have him #1 as I think for every team in the lottery, he can be a building block. Most other prospects have question marks on if their skills can translate if they don't fix their flaws. For Sarr, I think the player he is today is a decent NBA player.

Strengths
- Defense, defense, defense. Overall athleticism allows him to switch 1 through 5. He will be an elite weakside defender, can keep up with faster defenders, recover easily when tagging, and will be strong on closeouts. He won't be played off the floor in the playoffs like many other modern bigs.

- Transition. Sarr is great off-ball and pretty good on-ball in transition. He'll be one of the fastest bigs in the NBA immediately. He has taken the ball up himself on the break and shown an ability to finish. The on-ball stuff might not translate as much in the NBA and is more of a swing skill.

- Playmaking. The scheme at Perth had him primarily slip screening. He is good in the short roll, able to get off a midrange jump shot and shows flashes of playmaking. His ability to develop as a playmaker will be critical for his overall ceiling, as it will unlock his impact on offense without necessarily needing to stretch out to the 3.

Weaknesses
- Position. People aren't sure what position he is and what type of personnel can he play with. Could he play with another big? I personally think he is a center. Some prognosticators believe he can play the 4. He would need to develop a lot when it comes to shooting and overall perimeter play for that to be the case. If he is a center, some worry about his strength for that position.

- Strength. Sarr has a weak lower body and doesn't do well finishing through contact. This puts his ability to be a center into question. The NBL is a shorter league, but with some strong dudes. Given the way the NBA is going with more agile centers, I don't think it is an issue on defense. He will need to improve his strength to be a plus offensive player.

- Footwork. His footwork on defense is fine, but on offense it is extremely raw. He doesn't have much of a bag aside from some fadeaway stuff which isn't great.

- Shooting. The biggest swing skill for Sarr. He shot it poorly from 3, but his FT percentage and form look OK. The good news is he is willing to shoot it. It might take a couple of years, but his shooting has a good chance to be at least league average. That will unlock so much individually and for teams schematically.

- Dog? There are some questions on his Dog Per 36. His rebounding numbers aren't great, and he is not a good screener. I think comparisons with Ayton might be made. However, I think some of that is scheme and Ayton also has a screw loose mentally. Sarr competed well in a tough league, so I'm not worried.

Ceiling and Fit
- Sarr has a high floor as a defensive anchor and rim-runner, but his ceiling is probably lower than where Chet is at currently. Chet is similar but can shoot and has an offensive bag. More realistically, I think the ceiling is more like the good version of Evan Mobley who can shoot 3s. He might be able to exceed where Mobley is at currently if his playmaking in the short roll really develops. He'll be able to play in the playoffs.

- For me, teams shouldn't think about fit when drafting Sarr. The only team I would even consider fit is San Antonio given they have Wemby. Even in that scenario, if it doesn't work with those two bigs, then Sarr will still have good trade value. And if it does work, I'm not sure how teams will be able to score on the Spurs.
- Sarr does have some bust potential, especially based on the standards of a typically first overall pick. He might be more of a second team all-defense type who never makes an all-star game. Sam Vecenie compares him to Nic Claxton. That is a very good and valuable player in a vacuum, but many would consider a 'bust' as the first overall pick.

Draft Range
- I can't see Sarr falling beyond the top-3. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go first overall. If the team at #1 doesn't want Sarr, a team within the top-5 wouldn't be willing to trade additional assets to move into that spot. Given Sarr has a good chance of providing immediate impact on the defensive end, he is one of the few who might be able to handle the pressure of being first overall in this class.

Video
- If you want to watch one video to understand some of the draft prospects, watch Perth vs. Ignite in September. This is the game where Sarr went from a late lottery pick to contention for first overall. It also features Holland, Buzelis, Tyler Smith, and Almansa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PH9jt8lss0&t=855s

Mean Baby fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 25, 2024

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

plz tell me who the kings should take at 14

needs to be nba ready for Monte so I’m assuming that 23 year old will fit his draft profile

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This draft is awful on the top and will struggle finding NBA-ready guys in the middle, but there are some boom or bust guys that will probably get more opportunity. So this may not be an awful draft to have picks and play time if you're in the teens or early 20s.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

plz tell me who the kings should take at 14

needs to be nba ready for Monte so I’m assuming that 23-year old will fit his draft profile.

This is definitely a draft where you can get older players who will fit well as role players.

Is Monk back or no? Maybe you can convince Chicago to trade 11 and for 14 and Mitchell or Huerter. I think one of Knecht, Dillingham, or Sheppard could still be on the board at 11 and they would replace at least some of the scoring off the bench. Knecht is basically a super-sized, more athletic and dynamic version of Huerter on a cheaper deal. He'll be really good in DHO's with Sabonis, coming off pin downs, etc. It seems like a very Chicago move to do a trade like that. The other two will likely be off the board and are much younger.

Tristan Da Silva would be my pick. He is older and played way better than Cody Williams who will go in the top 10. Every team can use a 6'9 Wing who can dribble, pass, and shoot. He'll go somewhere in that 14-20 range.

Aside from that, Zach Edey wouldn't be terrible as a gamble. The Kings need some size. He gets a lot of comparisons to Luka Garza, but he is 5 inches taller the Garza. Guys 7'4 with his overall skill play in the NBA, even if it is just a few minutes a game. He might be able to bully skinny centers, backup bigs, or give guys like Jokic a different look.

Another wildcard is Ryan Dunn who is all defense, literally no offense. A 6'8 free safety and best defender in college basketball. He is probably more of a G League Superstar as an undersized 5 than an actual NBA player, but I think he'll be drafted by a playoff (or play-in :() team who will hope to put him in the dunker spot. If Sabonis could shoot threes and really stretch the floor, I'd consider it.

A lot of pretty decent 6'3 and under PGs who can shoot it pretty well and project as role players - Jared McCain, Devin Carter, Tyler Kolek. I think the Kings have enough those types of guards. I'd probably take more of a swing with Collier if they stayed at 14 and wanted a guard. Another freshman who will likely need at least a year in the G League but has a lot of upside.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Karnisovas is going to draft another long 19 year old who can't shoot and doesn't know how to play basketball.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Edey feels like a "10+ years of dominance in Spain" kind of player but he hasn't been playing basketball for very long and could feasibly hold the end of a roster spot. Are teams drafting slow bigs anymore?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Forrest on Fire posted:

Edey feels like a "10+ years of dominance in Spain" kind of player but he hasn't been playing basketball for very long and could feasibly hold the end of a roster spot. Are teams drafting slow bigs anymore?

If an oaf can rebound, score, pass, screen, and know how to get in position on defense quickly without fouling, there is a place for them on every team. Limited, yes. But still playable against nearly every team (contenders with multiple elite scorers are the main exception).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Forrest on Fire posted:

Are teams drafting slow bigs anymore?

Between Jokic, Sabonis, and Alperen "The Gün" Şengün, the league hasn't been as welcoming to slow bigs since the 90s!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dokmo posted:

Between Jokic, Sabonis, and Alperen "The Gün" Şengün, the league hasn't been as welcoming to slow bigs since the 90s!

The challenge is getting to that level of slow and not Boban-levels of statuesque. Boban has great touch around the rim and has some really good skills but is just too slow to play large minutes.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Mean Baby posted:

Another wildcard is Ryan Dunn who is all defense, literally no offense. A 6'8 free safety and best defender in college basketball. He is probably more of a G League Superstar as an undersized 5 than an actual NBA player, but I think he'll be drafted by a playoff (or play-in :() team who will hope to put him in the dunker spot.

To emphasize - Dunn’s offense is so bad that he would be unplayable, even as the best defender on a Tony Bennett team. I don’t see a place for him in the league

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings keep winning

https://x.com/DraftExpress/status/1782524673047101927

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1782524584295600532

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1782524928274600014

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1782525171917549647

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1782525341329719402

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think Edey's best case scenario would be falling far enough to end up on the Nuggets or 76ers, where he could be the backup center in a system already designed around post entry and a lumbering big. But because the draft is so weak, he'll probably end up on some late lottery team where his weaknesses will be maximized and he wont develop well. I dont think he has any chance to being a star, but if Zubac can carve out a long career, then Edey ought to be able to as well.

Its really a shame he wasn't born 20 years earlier, I'd be falling in love with him as a prospect if it was 2004 and the league was still glacially paced and no one expected PFs to shoot or guard in space, let alone centers

Edit: Didn't realize Philly was all the way up at 16, I think he would be a great fit there even if they might have bigger needs than a backup center

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 23, 2024

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I can't find a single guard in this draft or even historically with a better TS% than Reed Sheppard, especially among freshmen. That plus his defense, I really don't see why he isn't mocked first (yeah yeah, game averages are low, but the guy mocked #1 on most sites averages even less).

Check his TS% compared to a bunch of great shooters~
https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=reed-sheppard--stephen-curry--kyrie-irving--damian-lillard--tyrese-haliburton

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
ben pfeifer posted a horizontal board. he is a bit off consensus but in a draft like this that’s probably a good thing

https://x.com/bjpf_/status/1776822231374688398?s=46

regular mock https://x.com/bjpf_/status/1782504189899489693?s=46

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 23, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I can't find a single guard in this draft or even historically with a better TS% than Reed Sheppard, especially among freshmen. That plus his defense, I really don't see why he isn't mocked first (yeah yeah, game averages are low, but the guy mocked #1 on most sites averages even less).

https://tankathon.com/players/compare?players=reed-sheppard--stephen-curry--kyrie-irving--damian-lillard--tyrese-haliburton

because he is small

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Prospect Overview: Alexandre Sarr

Profile: 7’1”, 7'5 WS, 217

Year: 2005 Born (18)

9.7 PTS, 4.4 REB, 0.9 AST, 0.5 STL, 1.3 BLK, 17 MP

50.0 FG%, 27.6 3P%, 70.7 FT%

Current Ranking: NC- 1 | ESPN - 2 | BR - 1 | YAH - 1 | TANK - 2 | RING - 2

Pro Comparison: Evan Mobley

Sarr is another French Bigman who turns 19 in two days and will be one of the youngest players in this class. He projects as everything you want in a modern big. He is tall with a very long wingspan. He has a good amount of weight on him already. He is extremely agile, athletic, with a great vertical for his size. Playing for the Perth Wildcats in the NBL, his numbers didn't jump off the page. Context is key here as he played in a bench role, as a rim-runner and shot blocker. His rebounding numbers are also decent considering his primarily role was to alter shots, not grab boards.

He contributed to winning basketball. I have him #1 as I think for every team in the lottery, he can be a building block. Most other prospects have question marks on if their skills can translate if they don't fix their flaws. For Sarr, I think the player he is today is a decent NBA player.

Strengths
- Defense, defense, defense. Overall athleticism allows him to switch 1 through 5. He will be an elite weakside defender, can keep up with faster defenders, recover easily when tagging, and will be strong on closeouts. He won't be played off the floor in the playoffs like many other modern bigs.

- Transition. Sarr is great off-ball and pretty good on-ball in transition. He'll be one of the fastest bigs in the NBA immediately. He has taken the ball up himself on the break and shown an ability to finish. The on-ball stuff might not translate as much in the NBA and is more of a swing skill.

- Playmaking. The scheme at Perth had him primarily slip screening. He is good in the short roll, able to get off a midrange jump shot and shows flashes of playmaking. His ability to develop as a playmaker will be critical for his overall ceiling, as it will unlock his impact on offense without necessarily needing to stretch out to the 3.

Weaknesses
- Position. People aren't sure what position he is and what type of personnel can he play with. Could he play with another big? I personally think he is a center. Some prognosticators believe he can play the 4. He would need to develop a lot when it comes to shooting and overall perimeter play for that to be the case. If he is a center, some worry about his strength for that position.

- Strength. Sarr has a weak lower body and doesn't do well finishing through contact. This puts his ability to be a center into question. The NBL is a shorter league, but with some strong dudes. Given the way the NBA is going with more agile centers, I don't think it is an issue on defense. He will need to improve his strength to be a plus offensive player.

- Footwork. His footwork on defense is fine, but on offense it is extremely raw. He doesn't have much of a bag aside from some fadeaway stuff which isn't great.

- Shooting. The biggest swing skill for Sarr. He shot it poorly from 3, but his FT percentage and form look OK. The good news is he is willing to shoot it. It might take a couple of years, but his shooting has a good chance to be at least league average. That will unlock so much individually and for teams schematically.

- Dog? There are some questions on his Dog Per 36. His rebounding numbers aren't great, and he is not a good screener. I think comparisons with Ayton might be made. However, I think some of that is scheme and Ayton also has a screw loose mentally. Sarr competed well in a tough league, so I'm not worried.

Ceiling and Fit
- Sarr has a high floor as a defensive anchor and rim-runner, but his ceiling is probably lower than where Chet is at currently. Chet is similar but can shoot and has an offensive bag. More realistically, I think the ceiling is more like the good version of Evan Mobley who can shoot 3s. He might be able to exceed where Mobley is at currently if his playmaking in the short roll really develops. He'll be able to play in the playoffs.

- For me, teams shouldn't think about fit when drafting Sarr. The only team I would even consider fit is San Antonio given they have Wemby. Even in that scenario, if it doesn't work with those two bigs, then Sarr will still have good trade value. And if it does work, I'm not sure how teams will be able to score on the Spurs.
- Sarr does have some bust potential, especially based on the standards of a typically first overall pick. He might be more of a second team all-defense type who never makes an all-star game. Sam Vecenie compares him to Nic Claxton. That is a very good and valuable player in a vacuum, but many would consider a 'bust' as the first overall pick.

Draft Range
- I can't see Sarr falling beyond the top-3. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go first overall. If the team at #1 doesn't want Sarr, a team within the top-5 wouldn't be willing to trade additional assets to move into that spot. Given Sarr has a good chance of providing immediate impact on the defensive end, he is one of the few who might be able to handle the pressure of being first overall in this class.

Video
- If you want to watch one video to understand some of the draft prospects, watch Perth vs. Ignite in September. This is the game where Sarr went from a late lottery pick to contention for first overall. It also features Holland, Buzelis, Tyler Smith, and Almansa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PH9jt8lss0&t=855s

Any thoughts on Sarr?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Some Random Thoughts About Alex Sarr

Something that pops out immediately about Sarr is that he has normal wing proportions but is just taller, which partially explains why he has a lot more mobility than the average 7 footer.

You can watch Perth games and see him employing really polished footwork with a dribble and without. I think he might be the unanimous 1 as long as you need a rim protector type or can squeeze him in as JJJ weakside/helper 4 who can strech the floor a tad and handle the ball a bit.

Physically he looks like someone pulled Kawhi Leonard with a Willy Wonka taffy machine until he was 7 feet tall. His jumper isn't disgusting. Reminds a bit of mobley in college, a bit.

Some random thoughts about Ronald Holland

Ron holland is motor given form. Tari Eason esque motor.

He's a north south slam bang bam awwoooga awooga "Motorist coming through" type.

But! He can hit a floater or a little layup, doesn't have to be a dunk. Ron just goes hard, keeps playing no matter what, which to me is a good sign, like if the shot doesn't work he can still be a gritty role player.

Game still fast for him as an 18 year old in the g league which is not a red flag or anything. His passing was a plus in high school and non existent at the start of the season, but he started making those easy reads as the year came to a close.

I loving love watching ron holland play. He's a battering ram. And again, as the year went on he really seemed to learn how to shift around defenders, he could still batter but learned that sometimes it's easier to go around rather than through.
He was using that shift and the threat of the kamikaze thrust to feed buckets to their designated vet guard/shooter Norris Cole as well as Babacar Sane and Dink Pate.

(edit: Thanks for the effort posts Mean baby. This draft's lack of top end talent and the pistons being dog poo poo with bad ownership really took the wind out of my sails for prospect scouting this year. Keep up the good work)

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 26, 2024

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Big fan of daron holmes out of dayton

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Arizona's KJ Lewis is a borderline NBA player, with potential to improve. Should be interesting to see how he is at the combine.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

The stats strong support drafting Sheppard. I just hate his game when watching it. But the numbers suggest he's gonna be good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm afraid Sarr is going to be one of those guys who will be clowned on for being a #1 but if he went like #3 in a normal draft he'd be a solid pick. Not much you can do about that but kinda sucks for him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This Holmes guy sounds like a great backup center for the Kings plz convince me I'm wrong

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

This Holmes guy sounds like a great backup center for the Kings plz convince me I'm wrong

hes one of the best mid major guys for sure

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I’m watching a lot of ABA basketball, where a lot do the games are on an official YouTube channel without any commentary. It is basically basketball zen / asmr.

I am really, really impressed with Topic. The comparisons to Dragic are extremely lazy. His PnR and finishing ability remind me a lot of Jamaal Murray, but being two inches taller and having that Slavic flair. He doesn’t have the three point shooting yet, but is an 87% free throw shooter. His finishing is elite and I think it will translate. He has really strong game sense on the defensive end as well. I’d describe him more as an on-ball creator than a point guard. I’d plan to have him defend the wing in the NBA, depending on match up.

I’m at the point where I think he and Castle are in the same tier right behind Sarr. If I had the third pick and Sarr / Castle were off the board, I’d pick Topic regardless of fit, even for teams like Portland and Detroit. Topic might even become to clear cut #2 for me in the same tier as Sarr.

I am planning to watch some more Castle, see if there is any high school tape on him. Holland is the other guy who might go into that tier. He reminds me a lot of Shawn Marion, but I worry about his A:T ratio and jump shot a lot.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I find Topic to be pretty impressive, although I get why people are nervous because I'm not 100% sure the athleticism is there or that the vision will translate when he's playing against bigger players.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I’m not concerned with his first step, he is really quick and excellent in the PnR. I was generally concerned about his athleticism and finishing ability. What sold me is the U18 Fiba final where he completely dominates offensively and makes a ton of defensive plays. He was guarded by two large French wings and took them to school.

The ABA isn’t exactly small either and he’s been one of the best players at only 18 years old.

The shot is what worries me. If teams can sag and go under, he may still be able to play make a bit, especially in transition, but a huge swing skill.

https://www.youtube.com/live/DOnJLSANRhk?si=-qvLjDfW4Th8QOZ4

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

itshappening.gif
https://twitter.com/WillCEudy/status/1785357306726613075

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Who wants cherry picked stats for draft cope

https://x.com/PickAndRo/status/1785722004307345468

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
The only guy I know is Ajay Mitchell cause I saw his UCSB v CSULB 37 point game in person. Literally carried my poo poo alma mater to victory that day. I hope he ends up somewhere cool and good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Who wants cherry picked stats for draft cope

https://x.com/PickAndRo/status/1785722004307345468

This guy should be legally mandated to only look at the box score.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
"Create gravity?" When did that get coined

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I guess they're trying to say he has a quick enough release to demand a more significant closeout than other stretch 5s?

I've never seen 'gravity' used to describe a spot up shooter, though, more someone who can draw more than one defender in an attack, or sometimes drawing more than one defender off the ball, like Curry.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Could teams at the end of the first round gently caress with this process?

Also wow this seems like valuable free intel for teams

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1786510160833180015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Criminal Minded posted:

"Create gravity?" When did that get coined

A long time ago, gained a lot of popularity in Curry's prime to describe how defenders generally had to stay really close to him because of how fast he could get his shot off from basically anywhere

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Panzeh posted:

I guess they're trying to say he has a quick enough release to demand a more significant closeout than other stretch 5s?

I've never seen 'gravity' used to describe a spot up shooter, though, more someone who can draw more than one defender in an attack, or sometimes drawing more than one defender off the ball, like Curry.

AI getting a tech for bringing the crowd down is kinda like gravity, in a way

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Could teams at the end of the first round gently caress with this process?

Also wow this seems like valuable free intel for teams

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1786510160833180015

It does show there is a consensus of some type building or teams are just picking the obvious.

Surprising that Cody Williams isn't on there.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

glad that reed sheppard and rob dillingham aren't considered top 5 picks by the plurality of nba teams

i felt like i was losing my mind

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

glad that reed sheppard and rob dillingham aren't considered top 5 picks by the plurality of nba teams

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mean Baby posted:

Tristan Da Silva would be my pick. He is older and played way better than Cody Williams who will go in the top 10. Every team can use a 6'9 Wing who can dribble, pass, and shoot. He'll go somewhere in that 14-20 range.

Tristan is my preferred pick for the sixers if they end up actually drafting someone and not making a trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

I think Dillingham has some SGA/Maxey potential, based solely on that Cal is able to recruit elite talent and then find a way to marginalize them in their one year in school. I'm not going to commit to Dillingham being a max player in four years but I think he's got a chance at being a solid contributor.

Sheppard I'm not high on outside of being a three and D guy, which means he's got a solid NBA future but I still lol, even lmao, at The Ringer saying he should have gone first overall. Complete lunacy.