Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
"The producer of old age is habit: the deathly process of doing the same thing in the same way at the same hour day after day, first from carelessness, then from inclination, at last from cowardice or inertia.

Habit is necessary; but it is the habit of having careless habits, of turning a trail into a rut, that must be incessantly fought against if one is to remain alive... one can remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things, and happy in small ways." ~ Eric Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kntfkr posted:

"The producer of old age is habit: the deathly process of doing the same thing in the same way at the same hour day after day, first from carelessness, then from inclination, at last from cowardice or inertia.

Habit is necessary; but it is the habit of having careless habits, of turning a trail into a rut, that must be incessantly fought against if one is to remain alive... one can remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things, and happy in small ways." ~ Eric Trump

How dare you

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it's "old" but I'm in my late 30s and I have felt myself diminish in certain ways compared to what I was in my 20s. I've absolutely lost a step or two playing sports and I don't recover as quickly as I used to.

But I guess aside from athletically I'm not feeling it all that much in my day to day or whatever

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Ginette Reno posted:

I've absolutely lost a step or two playing sports and I don't recover as quickly as I used to.

But I guess aside from athletically I'm not feeling it all that much in my day to day or whatever

Yeah, that APM really falls off fast as you get older

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

Makes you think

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

redshirt posted:

Makes you think

Thinking is for the young

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Think fast, die, cum.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jesus imagine being 30 dreaming about how great retirement will be

You will be a decrepit wreck in 40 years if you're allowed to retire at all

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Strategic Tea posted:

Jesus imagine being 30 dreaming about how great retirement will be

You will be a decrepit wreck in 40 years if you're allowed to retire at all

Rude :mad:

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
im 31 and felt like when i hit 30 i started having health issues. nothing serious just small stuff where you feel the pain. i hurt my back last week and was basically immobile for two days and achey for a week. makes me a little scared of getting old

but i also worked my first job at a retirement home and the human body can really take the beating from age. most people were 70+ minus a dude who had 3 heart attacks and was like 50. i remember a story of a lady falling, calling for help, and when the present manager helped her up by her arms, the skin sloughed off from the arms and she fell back down. them oldies miss their noses and flesh chunks but they can keep trucking.

so physically i dont feel young, but know it can get worse. socially I feel youngish. if im lucky i get another 50 years maybe more. idk heres to daily stretching i suppose

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
*long tortured farting noise that rises a full octave and ends with a tiny squeak*

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I'm 37 and I mostly feel fine. My hair is a little grayer but otherwise pretty much feel same as always.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I just turned 40, so if being in your mid or late 30s is "old" then I guess I qualify. Oh well. I'm comfortable with being middle aged.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
nah it's great, people made fun of me in my 20s for looking 14, now they're too worried i'm going to drink their blood

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Heard a 22 year old at work complaining that a guy "whos like 27" was cracking on to her friend and it made me feel old for a minute. Then again shes only getting in front of herself by only kicking it with people "in her grade" or whatever.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
You know when you're playing a Bethesda game and I'm talking one of the good ones here like I'm talking Morrowind it's the only good Bethesda game so like you're like a real life month into the game your character's pretty good up ons there's a ton of stuff you haven't gotten to yet there's so much of Tamriel Rebuilt you haven't visited and you're using a ton of mods to moderate the leveling and the difficulty so you aren't steamrolling everything even STILL, but like, you've been playing for a while and you're forgetting what this character's done or not done, you're forgetting the context behind some of the souvenirs you've been keeping, you can't remember what your character did at ALL last in-game month, and after a certain point it's like, well, I kind of just want to start over and get a fresh start this character's gone on too long, and I think you hit that point in your mid or late 30s tbh I think at this point my character I've been playing IRL yeah it's been through some really dumb things and IDK I'm still attached to it you know but it's like, eh, ehhh, no okay maybe I see the argument against immortality you kind of keep accruing things and you either forget the majority of them and lose all sense of self continuity which is disorienting because it's like waking up in someone else's body in someone else's life and it's like, you know, you pick up your saved game a few months later and you can't remember what your character was doing at all, were you doing a more intense character-driven roleplay with this one, what were they even about? And it's either that or it becomes so big it's like you have all these notes you have to cross reference and you realize, see I'm changing metaphors here but have you ever written a really long work of fiction and eventually it feels so bloated it's like, man, I can see the appeal of novellas now, I'm having trouble keeping track of everything and fitting all the pieces in, and I think at like yeah by the end of your 30s you start hitting that point where you wish you were a novella instead but it's okay your life is illusory anyway no worries everything is a kaleidoscope of narration and the secret is it mostly loops infinitely so again no worries! You can have a hamburger and it will still taste good.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
just cracking his dry old bones at her (hope i'm doing it right)

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost
Until you're in maybe your late 50s, age only matters because good and bad habits (or good or bad luck) have had more time to play out.

Also because young people keep reinventing stupid poo poo.

Brainworm fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 26, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

dee eight posted:

*long tortured farting noise that rises a full octave and ends with a tiny squeak*

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I just turned 40, so if being in your mid or late 30s is "old" then I guess I qualify. Oh well. I'm comfortable with being middle aged.

No, no. You should be really upset. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

dee eight posted:

*sniff* meaty….

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

FlocksOfMice posted:

You know when you're playing a Bethesda game and I'm talking one of the good ones here like I'm talking Morrowind it's the only good Bethesda game so like you're like a real life month into the game your character's pretty good up ons there's a ton of stuff you haven't gotten to yet there's so much of Tamriel Rebuilt you haven't visited and you're using a ton of mods to moderate the leveling and the difficulty so you aren't steamrolling everything even STILL, but like, you've been playing for a while and you're forgetting what this character's done or not done, you're forgetting the context behind some of the souvenirs you've been keeping, you can't remember what your character did at ALL last in-game month, and after a certain point it's like, well, I kind of just want to start over and get a fresh start this character's gone on too long, and I think you hit that point in your mid or late 30s tbh I think at this point my character I've been playing IRL yeah it's been through some really dumb things and IDK I'm still attached to it you know but it's like, eh, ehhh, no okay maybe I see the argument against immortality you kind of keep accruing things and you either forget the majority of them and lose all sense of self continuity which is disorienting because it's like waking up in someone else's body in someone else's life and it's like, you know, you pick up your saved game a few months later and you can't remember what your character was doing at all, were you doing a more intense character-driven roleplay with this one, what were they even about? And it's either that or it becomes so big it's like you have all these notes you have to cross reference and you realize, see I'm changing metaphors here but have you ever written a really long work of fiction and eventually it feels so bloated it's like, man, I can see the appeal of novellas now, I'm having trouble keeping track of everything and fitting all the pieces in, and I think at like yeah by the end of your 30s you start hitting that point where you wish you were a novella instead but it's okay your life is illusory anyway no worries everything is a kaleidoscope of narration and the secret is it mostly loops infinitely so again no worries! You can have a hamburger and it will still taste good.

i appreciated it

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
One thing that has changed is whenever I shower I'm consciously aware of how easy it could be to slip and fall and bash my head

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

i don't know if this is a getting older thing, because it's not specific to people younger than me, but i think the global english vernacular has become really homogenous and that everybody talks in the same copied from black culture social media kind of way, worldwide. the same stock phrases for situations and expressing opinions everywhere. it makes everybody seem pretty stupid and like they don't have their own thoughts.

i wonder if it has always been this way or if the internet is the new factor.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
back people

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

roomtone posted:

i don't know if this is a getting older thing, because it's not specific to people younger than me, but i think the global english vernacular has become really homogenous and that everybody talks in the same copied from black culture social media kind of way, worldwide. the same stock phrases for situations and expressing opinions everywhere. it makes everybody seem pretty stupid and like they don't have their own thoughts.

i wonder if it has always been this way or if the internet is the new factor.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

the use of those phrases globally represents more people, including non-english speakers, being able to express themselves and interact with english language media. connecting it so much to social media shows how you are interacting with it, and social media's not really great for people 30+ to be forming opinions from.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Before I hit 30, I thought being in your 30s was old. Now that I have passed 60, I realize that I was full of poo poo and the 30s were still young.

I miss my working, pain-free joints.

Wintermute
Aug 4, 2002
Title text (optional)
Old according to who, junior?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Genesplicer posted:

Before I hit 30, I thought being in your 30s was old. Now that I have passed 60, I realize that I was full of poo poo and the 30s were still young.

I miss my working, pain-free joints.

Indeed.

I saw that the official oldest person in the world is a 122 year old French woman who of course smokes and drinks, and I think: Wow, she was "old" at 72, and then 50 years later.....! She's having a smoke and a cognac.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I regularly hang out with friends who are a decade older than me and it's both nice to be able to get them out of their comfort zones and feel a little younger just as it is nice for me to have an excuse to stop doing stuff at 9 and just go the gently caress home.

Just went to a celebration for a friend where a bunch of folks a decade younger than me were there and man did that make me feel old, especially since I didn't know them. We kept up until the end of the evening but man I need a week of recovery from that poo poo.

So yeah old/young is relative

Alucard fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 30, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

Indeed.

I saw that the official oldest person in the world is a 122 year old French woman who of course smokes and drinks, and I think: Wow, she was "old" at 72, and then 50 years later.....! She's having a smoke and a cognac.

She's probably actually dead and her grandkids weekend at bernies her to keep the pension checks coming.

That was a thing in Japan.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Alucard posted:

I regularly hang out with friends who are a decade older than me and it's both nice to be able to get them out of their comfort zones and feel a little younger just as it is nice for me to have an excuse to stop doing stuff at 9 and just go the gently caress home.

Just went to a celebration for a friend where a bunch of folks a decade younger than me were there and man did that make me feel old, especially since I didn't know them. We kept up until the end of the evening but man I need a week of recovery from that poo poo.

So yeah old/young is relative

You sound old

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I'm turning 38 in a week, main things are grey hair (though luckily I've kept it all...so far) and hangovers getting worse, which sucks but giving yourself a reason not to have that 5th beer is probably a good thing overall

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

She's probably actually dead and her grandkids weekend at bernies her to keep the pension checks coming.

That was a thing in Japan.

She looked alive enough in the Le Monde video

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
no lol

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

...! posted:

You sound old

Thankfully I caught this post before my bedtime and am at a loss for words. Probably because of my cognitive decline.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Does the airline attendant oxygen mask move

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
Turning 37 was pretty hard on me, I feel you.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I mean I used to think so, but I've seen people kick rear end in their thirties. It's not the worst time to start really living because the previous 20 years were unfairly lovely to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’m turning 41, and the biggest difference, apart from a greying, beard is how tired I get around midnight now compared to ten years ago