Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In October my crops vanished. I'd harvested about 3 wheet. Hope everyone likes berries.

My neighbour has 4 regions already and I have nowhere near enough influence to expand yet. Bandit camps don't seem to give influence like the description implied, just money. Maybe it's because they were empty and I didn't fight anyone.

E: yup, defeated a bandit group and got a bunch of influence. Seems my neighbour has been hoovering up bandit gangs nonstop since the start

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My sheep herders aren't herding my sheep. I built the farm and a nice pasture behind it, but the sheep is just left standing in the middle of the town. The herders come by it with a text "herds sheep" but nothing happens. Are they supposed to take it somewhere? I guess he was a the farm at some point, since a wool appeared there.

e: I changed the workers and now the sheep are in the pasture, lazy rear end workers!

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 27, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

bitterandtwisted posted:

In October my crops vanished. I'd harvested about 3 wheet. Hope everyone likes berries.

My neighbour has 4 regions already and I have nowhere near enough influence to expand yet. Bandit camps don't seem to give influence like the description implied, just money. Maybe it's because they were empty and I didn't fight anyone.

E: yup, defeated a bandit group and got a bunch of influence. Seems my neighbour has been hoovering up bandit gangs nonstop since the start

Yeah it's a problem. You can race to get to the bandits but if your neighbor has a border closer to the bandits then they will dive for them first. Especially since they have way more units than you.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

it’s annoying that multiple oxen can’t plow a big field, so you have to use smaller fields

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I was late on building my manor and never managed to get a full retinue, because I laked recruits (even though my militia was full and I had people to spare). When the bandits raided for the third time, my militia was overwhelmed because my retinue was 4 people and you need 5 to rally them, so the entire village got burned down.

Don't sleep on building your manor in a game called Manor Lords.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
After about 5 hours of play I'm soft-stuck in a weird situation where I cannot satisfy enough of my houses to make them eligible for tier 3 upgrades, but I also need more development points from continuing to rank up in order to make it realistic to satisfy those needs. I'm just barely staying afloat with food and firewood but I need another point to unlock artisanal bakeries and double my bread production efficiency from my big fields. Ale is extremely hard to produce unless I can upgrade my farm efficiency to get more barley. I have a secondary region with rich berries and hunting grounds but the shipping station for sending goods from one region to another is very limited and has a weird "exchange rate" system, just generally kind of confusing. I have my manor built, complete with exterior wall and three guard towers, and there is some indication that during a raider attack it could serve as a kind of arrow-fortress like town centers in age of empires, but I have no idea at all how to do that.

Feels like the game is good fun for about 5-10 hours before it sort of runs into snags from being both very incomplete and not having been widely tested to see where the wheels fall off the game loop.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I got up to about 20 families using only berries and hunting as food. Not a single farm.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Scoss posted:

After about 5 hours of play I'm soft-stuck in a weird situation where I cannot satisfy enough of my houses to make them eligible for tier 3 upgrades, but I also need more development points from continuing to rank up in order to make it realistic to satisfy those needs. I'm just barely staying afloat with food and firewood but I need another point to unlock artisanal bakeries and double my bread production efficiency from my big fields. Ale is extremely hard to produce unless I can upgrade my farm efficiency to get more barley. I have a secondary region with rich berries and hunting grounds but the shipping station for sending goods from one region to another is very limited and has a weird "exchange rate" system, just generally kind of confusing. I have my manor built, complete with exterior wall and three guard towers, and there is some indication that during a raider attack it could serve as a kind of arrow-fortress like town centers in age of empires, but I have no idea at all how to do that.

Feels like the game is good fun for about 5-10 hours before it sort of runs into snags from being both very incomplete and not having been widely tested to see where the wheels fall off the game loop.

That kind of feedback is likely very valuable to a (single) developer. So I hope people actually do write down this stuff you and others in the thread have come across.

I haven't even dared to try anything else than peaceful yet. It does seem a bit easy so far but then again, I haven't even been able to upgrade more than a few houses to level 2, and I can see how ale is a thing (one "morgen", what ever that is, sized plot of barley didn't last very long).

There are a lot of little details I like. When you want a sheep, you don't just pick it from a catalogue, you assign someone at the livestock trader, then put in an order of a sheep, and he eventually goes off somewhere and returns with a sheep. I mean, that might become old later, but for now I dig stuff like that. Plus things like putting up a cobbler's shop or a brewery in some guys backyard. That's how businesses are started, it's not like you always need a HUGE separate building for that.

I wish some more village banter and world building. They are a bit too work orientated now (which is of course realistic). I didn't even see the tavern get filled up with celebrating people when it was open briefly.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

TeaJay posted:

My sheep herders aren't herding my sheep. I built the farm and a nice pasture behind it, but the sheep is just left standing in the middle of the town. The herders come by it with a text "herds sheep" but nothing happens. Are they supposed to take it somewhere? I guess he was a the farm at some point, since a wool appeared there.

e: I changed the workers and now the sheep are in the pasture, lazy rear end workers!

They must've unionized.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Yea I still havnt figured out how to get sheep from the livestock trader to the pastures. Game is fun but the help section needs lots of work. I am really enjoying what little it has and am looking foward to see where it goes.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

From what I've read this could be somewhat similar to Settlers, how true is it? I still play Settlers 2 Gold occasionally and could definitely go for a more modern take on it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Zig-Zag posted:

Yea I still havnt figured out how to get sheep from the livestock trader to the pastures. Game is fun but the help section needs lots of work. I am really enjoying what little it has and am looking foward to see where it goes.

I’m pretty sure you import a sheep from the trader and someone from the sheep pasture building will go and pick it up. The sheep pasture also has room on its own for 5 without needing to build additional space.

As long as everything is manned with a person it “should” just automatically end up where it needs to

Moltke
May 13, 2009
this was a fun 10 hours but i hope the dev is taking his millions and planning to actually finish the game.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
The game becomes impossible to take land from the AI. I was able to snag a single parcel before the AI could--as soon as a bandit camp spawns, they can send two full strength troops to take it before you have much of anything and half the time the camp is empty and they can just waltz in. This leads to the AI spreading uncontrollably while you're still struggling to get a manor up to finally build up some influence.

Once you actually get some land, good luck pressing into the AI's holdings. I thought I had a good army going, around 180ish men, and was able to push back one large bandit raid and the AI attempting to attack, but the AI just waltzed up with an army in the 300s, way more troops than you'd be able to actually call up yourself even if you had the population. The only way I figured you might beat them is to get EXTREMELY lucky with flanks while the three separate massive armies he calls up are still converging and pick them off.

Also archers got nerfed way too hard right before release, so don't take any. They won't kill anything unless you get into melee, seriously. That's a boon to you, as the AI will take multiple groups of archers archers, so you can leisurely murder their melee troops and save the archers for last as they pepper you with nerf ammo.

Promising game though. I recommend playing on the setting where the AI doesn't expand so you can actually play the game past one or two regions. Not sure if the AI armies scale with the number of regions they hold.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

so i've been winning handily with archers only, the trick is to be engaged and then fire from behind them, it terrifies the poo poo out of the enemy

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Is there anyway to stop production on a burgage plot? My Fletcher is eating up all the planks these two families can pump out and I really need to build a drat Manor.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's a pause button in the top right near the demolish button.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Internet Explorer posted:

There's a pause button in the top right near the demolish button.

thank you

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Once i can start adding the production buildings to the home plots, I loose the use of that family for assingments to buildings, but do i need the buildings that produce the same stuff as the house workshops? Like I don't need the communal oven once i have some backyard ones, because they make bread for everyone, not just that plot?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I wrote this for another thread, but I'm told some people might find it helpful, so I'm going to drop it here.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Here is what I have found out, re: Manor Lords:

INFRASTRUCTURE WEAK

I think the game needs some tweaking to the infrastructure distribution. Here is how it works, I think.

Raw good / food is harvested. Everything except timber and planks are moved without oxen.

Goods are taken to the granary or the depot, depending.

People at the granary/storehouse then sell the good at marketplace.

The good is then bought by people or craftsmen for consumption or further refinement.

But this isn't always the case, because sometimes workers will set up stalls to sell things. It isn't conditional to the good, either. I've seen firecutters and storehouses both selling firewood. What determines when this happens?

:shrug:

I like this as a system- however, it's possible to end up in a situation where you have plenty of goods, but the houses are still whining that they can't find it.

Now, I have found out that you can manually drag and drop stalls from one market to another. This is useful. However, there just isn't enough output at the market end. You can and will end up with tremendous backlogs of firewood and such.

There are a couple ways you could feasible counter this. The most obvious one is the more historical one: build a marketplace in the center of town. Build your church, your tavern, etc, at the center of a spoke and grow out from there. Put the granary and storehouse nearby. Keep them well-staffed. The shortest possible supply line. Many goods.

Problem: fire. You had better have plenty of wells nearby if you build this way, and you'll probably want firebreaks. I'm not sure how fire spreads in this game, but it seems Pharaoh-like.

Second way: I'm pretty sure that your dudes will just drop the poo poo at the nearest storehouse in their route. You could create a goods-circuit. Put a depot at the terminus of each circuit, tell them to only pick up from a given area, and have the manufacturing feed back along one road that goes right by that depot. Roads are free, so who cares? You can use chickens and vegetable farming to provide food variety if a given sector lacks meat or fertile ground.

Problem: Dunno how well it would work. You can't block off areas as well as you could in Pharaoh or Casesar.

Third way: Get deep into the game's micromanaging. Build multiple storehouses and allow only certain types of thing. Move people's workplaces. Manually alot multiple markets.

Problem: pain in the rear end.

COMBAT

It's akin to something between early game Age of Empires and Total War. It isn't incredibly sophisticated, but it has depth. Formations, stances, that sort of thing.

I made my first battle against some forty bandits, all armed with clubs. I brought twenty spear militia and twenty archers.

Having archers when your enemy doesn't have any? Big plus. You can force the AI to attack you, and they will. Better yet, you can force them to run toward the militia you have standing still, waiting. This will ensure your guys are cohesive and rested- and they ain't.

Spear militia were able to engage bandits 2 to 1, and hold their own. This may have been because they had helmets- not sure how big of an edge that gave them.

But what really helped was moving my archers in behind the enemy, setting them to fire at will, and hitting their rear. Ranged attacks made from behind against engaged targets count as backstabs, which mitigate armor.. Once one rank of bandits broke and ran, it was all over but the crying.

You do not need melee parity to win a fight if you use tactics. This is nice.

HOW DO I ARM ME?

Maybe I'm stupid, but I thought the game's directions were a little unclear. I thought every soldier needed a gambeson, a helmet, etc. I always ended up scrambling for resources I didn't have.

You do not need all of that.

What you need is shown in the middle. For spearmen, it's a spear and shield. For bowmen, it's a bow. The stuff below that is optional equipment that will give them bonuses.

If you have only a small amount of iron to start with, do not build armor. It's very resource intensive, requires research point investiture, and will mean you can't build enough weapons.

Focus on bowmen and spearmen. Use your tech points to level your economy. You will always be able to field bowmen, even if the iron runs out. Bows are the simplest weapons to make, and they sell well. Bigger village means more people, and more army. More manufacturing. It also means you can afford to buy weapons, or mercenaries.

If you play the scenario with an enemy lord taking over territory, you need to be going out and fighting as soon as you can stand up a reasonable force. Killing bandits gives you loot and influence. Influence means you can take territory. If you do not take territory, the other idiot will slowly consume the entire map.

Every time I've had serious problems, it's because I got more focused on growing up than out. Go wide as gently caress in that first year, so you can get agriculture going in the second year. You will always need more labor than you have.

Edit: I figured out one thing that causes Problems.

You can move buildings, which is great! However, if you move a logging camp and it still has some 20+ logs in inventory, your oxen and the labor required to guide them around will be consumed moving all those logs from the old site to the new one, instead of moving them to secondary storage.

Do not move a building that has a large inventory of logs or planks. Force it to deplete inventory, and then move it.

Having gone back and rebuilt a village that organized markets and storage to a single, central point? Yeah, that method works great. I had way less shortages, with much less infrastructure. I was able to expand much more rapidly, but it made me miss the sprawling and more organic villages.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The having a hub of marketplace/church/tavern came to be just as i finished up the first game. It seems pretty obvious in hind sight, but I didn't know how far those buildings would reach, or if this game was realistic and people would walk more than 10 feet to get food, unlike in the Caeser/Pharaoh/Emperor games. Also its a very good idea to micro your families. Once fields are sown you don't need to keep people in the farm, so have them collecting resources/refining them. Once its time to harvest, put them back and then move them once you have the harvesting done to the refining buildings. If you hover over the season at the bottom of the screen it will tell you what happens in each season so you can know ahead of time to move your families around. Also they sow fields for the next year right after harvesting so wait until that before removing them for the winter.

I also found orchards to be really productive, even before they're fully grown. I had nearly 300 apples very quickly with 4 orchard plots. Though one thing I can't seem to figure out is how to create a steady supply of beer. I have barley farms going to the hops house and home brewers have a source to turn into beer, but there never is enough. I hope later patches add some more entertainment sources, because if it remains hard to produce beer, that's going to get annoying. Also needs a cider mill.

I decided to try out the middle scenario to see how the combat is, and right off the bat the one bandit camp stole all my starting tools.

If this is on sale for a while i'll probably grab it on steam with my next paycheck. I'm worried the gamepass version won't be updated as much.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 28, 2024

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is this game moddable at all?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Game got pretty tiring after a few hours. Definitely needs a ton of work still, which sucks because I was looking forward to it for months.

Farthest Frontier remains the better option in this genre.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

This game sounds fun :)

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is the manor retinue coming from the village population or are they their own special thing? Really enjoying this eve though it does feel extremely unfinished atm.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I spent some time today going through a few matches to really get an understanding of what the hell I was supposed to be doing. I got up to around 35 families and had defended from a few raids fairly easily and was comfortable with what was going on until suddenly I couldn't produce enough planks for anything. So I built five [whatever the plank production building is called] and fully staffed them with two families each, still no planks. So I spied on what the people in those families were doing, and they were all resting/waiting/praying. I.e., doing gently caress-all. I had something like 90 timber available and ended up bulldozing all of the artisan houses that needed planks to do their jobs because I didn't know I could just pause them, and those fuckers in the plank houses were STILL doing nothing. This is when I quit the game. It obviously has a LOT of potential, but this seems like it's maybe 10% done at best.

Where am I supposed to submit dev-bug reports to anyway?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is this game moddable at all?

It's Unreal Engine, so you can theoretically use UEVR to make it VR compatible. I tried this with the System Shock remake last night and it was ... interesting.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The trick to beating the AI lord is to get to ~10 families ASAP. This will get you a militia of about 16-18 people and you get enough stuff for 20 guys just by building 5 houses and a storehouse. That's enough to crush any bandit camps nearby. You only need to win once. Take the money for your treasury, it's typically like 150 silver or whatever the currency is. Use that money to hire the mercenaries that cost 110, it's three units of swordsmen of 36 men each, and then send each unit to a different bandit camp (this is assuming there are at least 3-5 active on the map of course). You have a month before they have to get paid again which is definitely enough time to get at least one camp down and put it towards your treasury incase you're running low on time before they gotta get paid again. I typically then put the funds for two of those camps towards my treasury, that'll let you get another 10 or so guys in your retinue (or pay the mercs, but you can usually get the money before they gotta get paid again). The third one I distribute to the town. Disband the mercenaries immediately afterward. 100-150 gold for your town is a great way to boost your burgage houses by building lots of vegetable farms, orchards, goats, etc., and you can also purchase more oxen. At that point you can basically get powerful too fast for the AI to keep up, especially if you spend a little time outfitting 2-3 units of militia spears or swordsmen to supplement your retinue. The AI is generally pretty passive and won't press claims on your land unless there is nothing else available to claim, or if you specifically have it set to be aggressive.

When you have a retinue of 15 or so guys, they can clear bandit camps on their own while only taking 1-2 casualties at most. Usually you lose nothing. You can then pump that money back into your town or your treasury to get more retinue troops. Don't forget to update your tax/tithe policies in your manor. I usually only set it to 10% for each but it's enough passive influence and money to add up over time.

I also like to make my first 3 of my houses huge burgage vegetable farms that house two families each. It'll get you a huge boost to food early on. The other two I also make huge farms but I wait until I can get orchards for some easy food diversity.

I claim a lot of regions but I really only build up the one directly adjacent to my main settlement. The goal here is to supplement what you're having trouble getting in your main village. So I'll set up a side village of ~15 families solely devoted to farming barley (for example) to ship to my main town so that I can make more beer and pump out tier 3 houses. Beer seems to be the main roadblock that's a pain to get.

Also, oxen for farms are nice but when your population is big enough, 10-12 families in two farmhouses can handle a huge amount of farmland. I find the oxen are much better used hauling lumber around. I usually end up with three stables of two oxen each, with six families devoted to just carting stuff all over the place. It's good for hauling lumber to buildings but also late game your lumberjacks are going to be cutting trees pretty far away so they'll keep busy hauling wood from the woods to your storehouse.

I played way too much tonight and this is by far the most annoying early-access achievement.

TLDR: Game rules, can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 28, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How well does the game perform? does it needa top tier pc?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

How well does the game perform? does it needa top tier pc?

FWIW a 4070 Ti Super has no issues slamming this game up against my 2k Apple LED Cinema display's 60 Hz limit at max settings. :shrug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've only had two hours or so to play but I definitely liked what I saw so far. Seems really smooth, and I could very quickly intuit how the villagers were working to go about their business and thus how I could set things up more efficiently.

Also for people asking why it made such a splash: People really loved how Banished laid out its niche in the colony/city builder genre but despite quite a few tries, very few of its successors have hit the mark. ML looked like it had the juice, and combining it with tactical battles is crack to plenty of people.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

XYZAB posted:

I spent some time today going through a few matches to really get an understanding of what the hell I was supposed to be doing. I got up to around 35 families and had defended from a few raids fairly easily and was comfortable with what was going on until suddenly I couldn't produce enough planks for anything. So I built five [whatever the plank production building is called] and fully staffed them with two families each, still no planks. So I spied on what the people in those families were doing, and they were all resting/waiting/praying. I.e., doing gently caress-all. I had something like 90 timber available and ended up bulldozing all of the artisan houses that needed planks to do their jobs because I didn't know I could just pause them, and those fuckers in the plank houses were STILL doing nothing. This is when I quit the game. It obviously has a LOT of potential, but this seems like it's maybe 10% done at best.

I've had this happen a few times. It was almost always due to the logs not getting there often enough. Logs and planks are moved with oxen. It is very easy to bottleneck yourself by not having enough oxen.

It's best if your plank production building is near on a shared road with the logging camp. Make sure there are plenty of distributed hitching posts so folks are drawing oxen from places that make sense. I usually put one in the middle of the city, one on every major exit road from the city, and one near industrial suburbs.

You can also assign a dedicated oxen to a plank production building, and that always helps a bunch.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What I'm reading from this is to get more oxen and move my granary from the starting location (it's near the hunter and forager but ten miles away from the town)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

What I'm reading from this is to get more oxen and move my granary from the starting location (it's near the hunter and forager but ten miles away from the town)

I had very big food problems in my first few villages. I'm probably going to dick around with a few things later because I'm bored, curious, and on vacation.

But yes.

Remember, everything ( with some exceptions, mostly trade and/or planks/logs ) move via handcarts. Go watch one of them move. They're slow as hell.

The best reason to update the granary isn't the capacity. It's the staff. They help distribute the food- but even a default tier granary is more than enough for a long time, if it is well-placed.

Just remember that if you move a building that is full of resources, you will create an enormous labor sink, especially if it's full of logs and planks. Your guys will try to move everything to the new building/location.

Whenever I move a lumber camp, I just turn it off. I take all the staff and do something else for a little while. Then when it's out of timber, I move it.

It'd probably be better to build a second granary and fuss with the level of staffing/accepted goods on the old one to run it dry than to try and move a granary with anything in it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

do villagers have to attend church/visit the tavern to get the benefit from them? if not, then it seems worthwhile to keep them at the region's edge, market+granary+storehouse at the centre of a residential block, church/tavern/manor->farms/pasture->windmills->ovens->homes->market/storage from outside to inside, as a general regional design structure, with outer edge workplaces serviced by large tier 1 lodgings with big carrot farms?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm not sure about the church, but it's easy enough to experiment with.

With the tavern, it says 'tavern supply'.

If you have a brewer but no tavern, the ale will just sit in your storehouse. However, if you have a tavern, the workers... take it to market?

In theory, you could put the tavern wherever. In practice, it's- a booze granary. The workers are distributing the ale to market. If the tavern is in a central location, they'll distribute it better and more evenly.

If you have your city built around a singular market I suppose this would matter less.

Edit: my houses on the other side of the map from my church still have 'church access' so go nuts I guess.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 28, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ughhhh posted:

Is the manor retinue coming from the village population or are they their own special thing? Really enjoying this eve though it does feel extremely unfinished atm.

It's their own special thing. Click the "customize retinue" button and over on the left-ish of the screen where you can tailor their visuals is a spot to hire more of them.

My current tactic is a retinue rush:

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a really good game and I'm enjoying it, but it's absolutely one of those things that is going to get fleshed out a lot in the coming months and years. I'm happy with my $30 purchase but there are also a ton of places where I go "yeah, this needs a bit more polish and thinking."

The mode where you're fending off that baron, for example: you really, REALLY need to have a well established military by the time the map colors in and he comes looking for you, because that guy can spawn 120 person merc armies pretty much at will. The AI isn't great so you can usually out maneuver them and kill them, but you need to be strong enough to do so with minimal losses. I had a game I restarted because I could see that I was going to end in a death spiral dealing with him. Right now it's a pretty crude stat check more than anything else, it needs to be iterated on. Good enough for day 1 EA, but it should be pretty high on their punch list.

Another is how loving OP clearing bandit camps is. Here's a tip: try to get your retinue rolling ASAP. Those guys are soldiers that you can have out doing things without sucking manpower from your town. Once you do that grab them and your early militia and go clear some bandits. That will get you cash, cash that you can use to buy more retinue. Once you get your retinue up to 20 dudes leave them perma-mobilized and just wandering around the map clearing bandit camps for cash. That should get you enough of a nest egg that by the time the map fills in you have the cash to start hiring mercenaries for the first few fights against the baron.

Loving the game ,but I can tell ti's one of those ones that I'm going to break over my knee in about 40 hours once I figure out the optimal path, then put down for six months and come back once they're two versions further in.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The economics get completely hosed after 30 families or so. Trading between your own regions is also super clunky and error prone. Resource management basically becomes impossible, good luck micro managing mules and individual resources swaps with no automation. No idea how one would manage more than 2 regions at once, much less 4-5. The glitches are really frustrating, like oxen not plowing fields despite upgrading the farm, plank buildings throwing out constant s,torage glitches, and clunky manor planning that's easy to irreversibly gently caress up. Plus everything mentioned above.

I also hit a wall on development points, and got into a circular death loop of message/response with the enemy leader. In the end only one interaction outcome seemed functional.

That's all to say: It's fun as long as you play it the ONE way it was play tested, but trying anything different just results in dead ends and frustration.

Scam Likely fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 28, 2024

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I've got something weird going on, I think I know what caused it, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

I have 3 sheep in my village, 1 of them is at pasture, the other two are just following a couple of random villagers around. I don't think that these sheep are getting sheared, so it's just a wealth sink I can't seem to get rid of.

What I think happened is that I had a family working the animal trade post, two of them were in the process of delivering sheep when I sent that family to go do other things. The villager moved on with their lives, but the sheep just keep following them. Reassigning this family to the trade depot doesn't do anything, it's like the sheep are invisible to my villagers.

Considering starting over, it's extremely annoying. My village is piss poor and these two fluffy little gold-mines are just sitting there doing nothing.

EDIT: Is there anywhere to reassign livestock? I also have an Ox that seems to have no stable, even though I have open slots.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
regional wealth seems very confusing, especially since there's no hover tooltip to show revenue vs expenses or whatever. my 30-something family village was stuck with seemingly none forever--it was stuck at 4--until i finally figured out the trading post, then it promptly jumped to like 200+

i was like "great! i can turn on taxes!" and it seemingly stopped growing again, like at 10% i was getting nothing again. removed that and it started going up again. maybe that was just coincidence with the one ox i had (from having perpetually no money) was busy

crop rotation also seems like a bit of a gently caress (but is seemingly very necessary given how much one year of cultivation drops fertility). it appears to have a hard cutover with some calendar tick, so villagers will harvest a field and then promptly start plowing it again despite it being fallow next year, only for them to stop halfway through because it's reached the "oh right, we _aren't_ planting this one next year, are we?" tick in late autumn and they jump over to a field that is going to sown next year/cycle. i guess you could switch priorities manually but that seems ridiculously tedious

Scam Likely posted:

The glitches are really frustrating, like oxen not plowing fields despite upgrading the farm, plank buildings throwing out constant s,torage glitches, and clunky manor planning that's easy to irreversibly gently caress up. Plus everything mentioned above.

That's all to say: It's fun as long as you play it the ONE way it was play tested, but trying anything different just results in dead ends and frustration.

at least in my brief haphazard experience not knowing half the mechanics, it does seem that at least people freezing or starving has no effect besides approval! idk if anyone ever died from it. the 5 homeless families who refuse to move into new homes after bandits burned a bunch down are doing just fine in winter, and having a year of no food killed nobody! or the game just didn't announce it for some reason.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had a similar issue with sheep earlier but it got fixed by switching families around. All of a sudden the sheep just were in the sheep farm pasture like they should, even if I didn't see anyone transport them. The herding definitely seems somewhat buggy right now.