Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Game is a lot of fun, but I agree with the sentiments I've seen that it's one to play for 10-20 hours and then put down. It needs a lot more work to be fully fleshed out and I have a feeling we'll probably be waiting a long time. I hope this solo dev can use this money to hire a small team, but not everyone is able to make that transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Thought I was doing pretty well, three fully equipped militia units plus a full retinue with some armor upgrades, then the Baron comes knocking and just spawns two armies larger than mine, including a retinue that isn't even possible to get as the player (36 vs. 24). So that was the end of that run. Next run, literally the first thing the AI does was claim my province. I had 5 families at the time.

Next run will be without an AI. The tactical aspects of the combat are okay, but the strategic aspect of it is just badly overtuned. You're expected to rake in way more money than you probably are, in part because trade was nerfed just before release and that has knock-on effects.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ArchangeI posted:

Thought I was doing pretty well, three fully equipped militia units plus a full retinue with some armor upgrades, then the Baron comes knocking and just spawns two armies larger than mine, including a retinue that isn't even possible to get as the player (36 vs. 24). So that was the end of that run. Next run, literally the first thing the AI does was claim my province. I had 5 families at the time.

Next run will be without an AI. The tactical aspects of the combat are okay, but the strategic aspect of it is just badly overtuned. You're expected to rake in way more money than you probably are, in part because trade was nerfed just before release and that has knock-on effects.

I found a good way to learn the ropes but still deal with some military challenges was to turn off the AI but turn bandit raids and camps up to the maximum. You still have to deal with the occasional threat but you can mostly figure things out without really risking losing it all.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ms Adequate posted:

I've only had two hours or so to play but I definitely liked what I saw so far. Seems really smooth, and I could very quickly intuit how the villagers were working to go about their business and thus how I could set things up more efficiently.

Also for people asking why it made such a splash: People really loved how Banished laid out its niche in the colony/city builder genre but despite quite a few tries, very few of its successors have hit the mark. ML looked like it had the juice, and combining it with tactical battles is crack to plenty of people.

I played maybe 20 hours of banished when it first came out and enjoyed it.

But it didn’t seem particularly ground breaking.

I can’t remember why it was so popular, to be honest. But I did enjoy it.

What did Banish do that was unique and that other city builders have failed to replicate?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Banished was part city builder and part survival/colony sim, having to juggle labor around was a big divergence from previous city builders. Also the scarcity of resources, including food. Remember that the games that came before were very much in the vein of "build an apple farm and produce 2 apples per cycle, indefinitely. Your city has demand for 3 apples, so you build another apple farm". Making it through the first few winters in Banished felt like an accomplishment.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Is there anything after tier three? Feel like after a restart and actually making Burgage yards, things are just moving along and there won't be much of an endgame.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

ArchangeI posted:

Banished was part city builder and part survival/colony sim, having to juggle labor around was a big divergence from previous city builders. Also the scarcity of resources, including food. Remember that the games that came before were very much in the vein of "build an apple farm and produce 2 apples per cycle, indefinitely. Your city has demand for 3 apples, so you build another apple farm". Making it through the first few winters in Banished felt like an accomplishment.

I remember the first few seasons feeling brutal.

What was the actual food mechanic : gameplay relationship in banished?

And how is food done in Manor Lords? Is ML more like “build food building and now you get +2 food every cycle”?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is there any way to increase market stall efficiency? I have asstons of firewood but distribution seems poor even with multiple stalls. I don't get the supply system

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I found a good way to learn the ropes but still deal with some military challenges was to turn off the AI but turn bandit raids and camps up to the maximum. You still have to deal with the occasional threat but you can mostly figure things out without really risking losing it all.

I'm still learning the game with everyone else, but to me it seems like this might be the way to play right now. The renown/land grab that happens with the AI just doesn't feel good to interact with as is.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 28, 2024

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah the third scenario with the constant raids seems to be the way to go. It's counterproductive but a lack of raids will seriously hurt you when it comes to claiming land.

This game was in development for seven years and honestly, it kind of feels like it. Not that it's bad, it's just that it feels like it is overshadowed by other games that did the same thing better since then. If you play a lot of total war then the combat seems pretty pedestrian, and that seems to be the lynchpin of the whole thing. It's not *bad*, I want more of it, but it definately feels a bit aged.

I do really wish that it was clearer how the housing system works because I have no idea how larger to build houses unless I put down dots like ten times each time I go to build new houses. I don't think you need a huge extension unless you want a backyard garden but it's still silly. Having things be free-placing is great so long as you make it clear what it means to do so.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
So do I get an ox for every hitching post I build or not? I was under the impression that I did, but then I wasn't seeing any benefit to having built like five of them or upgrading them to stables, so I'd go back to one and "order" another ox thinking that would solve the issues I was having, but then I had no families stationed at the stable/hitching post, so is that ox I ordered even benefiting the game at all or is it just languishing around doing gently caress-all? I had no patience to wait so at this point I'd usually assign that single ox to a farm or something. I can only imagine what the people in the city are thinking: "God in the sky has bequeathed us another ox for do to work with. If only he could bequeath it someone to put it to use, or give it free will and its own reasoning faculties. Oh well, back to waiting for someone to bring me timber so I can cut some planks, which I haven't done in four whole years of working this job."

Edit. I also want to complain about the user interface. I want to build a market, right? So I click the icon that has a picture of a bag of silver and some coins, i.e., market stuff. Nope, it's not there. It's in the residential category. And how about a granary? Oh that'll definitely be under the farm category, right? Hell no. Logistics, bitch. And while I'm at it, I'm sick of having to click on everything to get where I want to go. This kind of game needs hotkeys for everything or it gets super tedious after a while having to click all over the place, which is the current state of the game. And some transparency for the UI banner popups would be nice so that I could maybe look past them when they're taking up a large portion of my screen. And how about modifier keys to change how scrolling works? I'd like a shallower view angle at times but I only get the one choice. :/

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 28, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

XYZAB posted:

So do I get an ox for every hitching post I build or not? I was under the impression that I did, but then I wasn't seeing any benefit to having built like five of them or upgrading them to stables, so I'd go back to one and "order" another ox thinking that would solve the issues I was having, but then I had no families stationed at the stable/hitching post, so is that ox I ordered even benefiting the game at all or is it just languishing around doing gently caress-all? I had no patience to wait so at this point I'd usually assign that single ox to a farm or something. I can only imagine what the people in the city are thinking: "God in the sky has bequeathed us another ox for do to work with. If only he could bequeath it someone to put it to use, or give it free will and its own reasoning faculties. Oh well, back to waiting for someone to bring me timber so I can cut some planks, which I haven't done in four whole years of working this job."

Hitching posts / stables are just houses for your oxen so they don't gently caress off. It's ox storage. You need 1 post for 1 ox, and a stable can hold two of them.

People will just go use the ox, but iirc you need "idle" pops on build for that. I try to keep at least one, if not two pops un-assigned for general building/logistics work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man I want to like this game, the early game is great, but things really fall apart around when you hit level 2 houses. There's just a total lack of feedback and clarity how things work. You can just *feel* your economy is becoming deeply unoptimized, but the game doesn't even hint at how to fix things.

Like for instance my people were starving. I had about 500 flour sitting in my granary, and a big bakery fully staffed with 4 families right next to it. They sat like that for months. I had 8 families not assigned to any jobs. The granary had 8 families assigned to it. What gives? What do I need to build more of or assign more people to in order to have better logistics?

It's the same with every other resource in the game. My saw pits sit directly next to piles of 30+ logs but they spend 75% of their time not working because deliveries of logs are so rare. But the game provides no feedback. There's no "not enough oxen" message if there's more ox-job requests than your current ox teams can handle. There's no "large warehouse 1 is overwhelmed" message. Am I supposed to be building more dedicated warehouses for specific resources? The game just doesn't say.

And of course on top of that all, the game is buggy as poo poo. So half the time you're sitting there struggling to understand why something isn't working or what you don't understand about the mechanic, there's also a good chance that it's just not working correctly. I have constant issues with upgraded houses getting angry as hell suddenly saying they don't have access to this or that resource. They'll say they don't have access to firewood when there's 600 sitting in a warehouse and 50 sitting in the market. Its always the houses farthest away from the market that have this problem, but the game doesn't provide any sort of visualizations or feedback to tell you why. Is this just a bug? Are they actually too far from the market? Were they once close enough to the market, but now they have a job further away from home which has created a situation where they run out of time to shop? Who knows, the game sure doesn't even hint at what could be the problem.

Also the combat sucks and is boring, but its also very tedious and requires constant human interaction. The bandit system is this endless whack a mole system that you really have to respond to the moment they spawn or else they start stealing your poo poo. They're never an actual threat, but you have to conscript your little dudes, order them across the map, order them to loot the bandit camp, then order them all the way home to disband them. Over and over and over endlessly.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I think a lot of the opacity is intentional, it's not meant to be a game to optimize your workflow, at least as far as I've experienced.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
In a game where one of the main HUD icons is a number representing how many months until your town dies because they run out of food and firewood, I don't think I like the idea of making your logistics deliberately opaque when it can manifest into situations like "why is nobody in my fully staffed workshops making more food?"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I keep pressing 1,2,3 to control the time speed like in Rimworld. That kind of function would be nice.

I'm normally the kind of player who has no idea about optimized gameplay or build orders or whatever. I just build what I like and throw stuff together. I would be quite disappointed if this kind of game would require that kind of optimization to make in the harder scenarios, as it seems now, so it'll probably be a good idea to tweak that stuff out. I don't know if the AI blatantly cheats but for someone like me who will always fiddle about in Age of Empires in my own area until the AI razes me over with its super army maybe it's just optimal gameplay that feels like cheating.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 28, 2024

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Ty to the goon that talked about making an early militia to clear bandits, even clearing one camp to get the money to buy mercs to clear more makes the AI baron feel much less intimidating. It slows down your economy a fair bit but it's really not a big deal if you have your initial goods all in storage and secure.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
There are probably a lot of quirks to the AI that the game doesn't explain in detail but make sense when you understand it. For example i kept getting frustrated with my sawmills not making any planks until i realized that they need an ox to fetch lumber from the logging camp and my only 2 oxes were busy helping construction.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My logging camp is right next to the sawmill, can't they just like, roll a log there?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Been having a lot of fun in this game but I'm playing with combat disabled entirely, I just wanted a new Banished with more fluid building tools and this is it. Definitely needs some time in the oven to finish up all the planned content but I like what I see.

Frionnel posted:

There are probably a lot of quirks to the AI that the game doesn't explain in detail but make sense when you understand it. For example i kept getting frustrated with my sawmills not making any planks until i realized that they need an ox to fetch lumber from the logging camp and my only 2 oxes were busy helping construction.

To be fair to the game, this is one of the few things that is very explicitly explained in a tutorial popup early on :v: It caused me to build multiple hitching posts early on, upgrade them into Stables and fully stock them with oxen + assigned families, which I'm guessing is why I haven't had a lot of the logistics problems others have.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

XYZAB posted:

Edit. I also want to complain about the user interface. I want to build a market, right? So I click the icon that has a picture of a bag of silver and some coins, i.e., market stuff. Nope, it's not there. It's in the residential category. And how about a granary? Oh that'll definitely be under the farm category, right? Hell no. Logistics, bitch. And while I'm at it, I'm sick of having to click on everything to get where I want to go. This kind of game needs hotkeys for everything or it gets super tedious after a while having to click all over the place, which is the current state of the game. And some transparency for the UI banner popups would be nice so that I could maybe look past them when they're taking up a large portion of my screen. And how about modifier keys to change how scrolling works? I'd like a shallower view angle at times but I only get the one choice. :/

This is my biggest complaint. The game badly needs some storage/trade/production ledgers and a list of all buildings/families to do assignments from. The game feels like it really wants you to min-max stuff like storage location, how close a family lives to their work, etc, but it’s really really clunky to do so with the current tools. Even just trying to take inventory of your level 2 house upgrades is really tedious. I’m also not sure why but it seems like the resource interface will randomly just not show everything? Like at times I just couldn’t see my food stores or other materials regardless of if I was on the “surplus” or “total” view, despite clearly having food and materials in both storage and at market. Seems like it’s really easy to get into a situation where you go “oops I have 400 small shields and no wood now because I built a joiner a year ago and didn’t click into my trade post once a day to monitor stocks”.

The game is really polished and solid, it just needs way more content and systems. There aren’t any egregious early access pitfalls - it feels stable and what’s there is great, I imagine this is what a game like rimworld would have felt like a week after launch or whatever. For $30 it’s worth the initial time I spent on it and a “check back in a year or two” approach seems about like what it needs.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

causticBeet posted:

This is my biggest complaint. The game badly needs some storage/trade/production ledgers and a list of all buildings/families to do assignments from. The game feels like it really wants you to min-max stuff like storage location, how close a family lives to their work, etc, but it’s really really clunky to do so with the current tools. Even just trying to take inventory of your level 2 house upgrades is really tedious. I’m also not sure why but it seems like the resource interface will randomly just not show everything? Like at times I just couldn’t see my food stores or other materials regardless of if I was on the “surplus” or “total” view, despite clearly having food and materials in both storage and at market. Seems like it’s really easy to get into a situation where you go “oops I have 400 small shields and no wood now because I built a joiner a year ago and didn’t click into my trade post once a day to monitor stocks”.

The game is really polished and solid, it just needs way more content and systems. There aren’t any egregious early access pitfalls - it feels stable and what’s there is great, I imagine this is what a game like rimworld would have felt like a week after launch or whatever. For $30 it’s worth the initial time I spent on it and a “check back in a year or two” approach seems about like what it needs.

I discovered that when you’re in construction view, the resources display only shows construction resources.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Efb I was responding to the quoted post instead of the reply

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TeaJay posted:

I keep pressing 1,2,3 to control the time speed like in Rimworld. That kind of function would be nice.

Z/X to decrease/increase speed.

Some kind of quota management screen for the artisans is definitely near the top of my wish list. Manually tracking inventory and switching/pausing is a real pain. I also made the mistake in my first game of turning a big house with two families into artisans, and then leveling it up to 3 which doubles housing capacity. Four families might be useful for a big bakery, but not so much for a joiner!

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

How do you enable trading? I built a trading post and had it staffed but the trade menu said Trading wasn't enabled and I don't know where to turn that on.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

How do you enable trading? I built a trading post and had it staffed but the trade menu said Trading wasn't enabled and I don't know where to turn that on.

For certain goods you have to click the trade route button on the right hand side of the trade post interface which causes a trader to come periodically. It costs regional wealth up front to set up and every route costs more money unless you invest a development point into capping it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You need to buy a trade route for most goods, that will unlock the little drop down that lets you set if you're importing or exporting.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

On the left where it says "no trade" next to the item you want to trade, click it and select Import or Export accordingly.

Also MAJOR PSA: DO NOT make Archers right now. Don't waste your time and planks. They do basically zero damage and die to a stiff breeze if a bandit runs into them. Clearly bugged and hopefully fixed soon.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Also MAJOR PSA: DO NOT make Archers right now. Don't waste your time and planks. They do basically zero damage and die to a stiff breeze if a bandit runs into them. Clearly bugged and hopefully fixed soon.

This could not be more wrong. Pin the enemy with your spears or retinue and put the archers behind them. The do backstab damage or whatever that ignores armor. It’s 100% an easy way to murder some fools and route them.

Seriously it’s the best early game strategy. You’ll kill poo poo with no losses.

Also archers are piss cheap to make. 100% should be your second unit.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

ArchangeI posted:

I was late on building my manor and never managed to get a full retinue, because I laked recruits (even though my militia was full and I had people to spare). When the bandits raided for the third time, my militia was overwhelmed because my retinue was 4 people and you need 5 to rally them, so the entire village got burned down.

Don't sleep on building your manor in a game called Manor Lords.

yeah I built my manor just barely before the first raid, and lost 2 of my Retinue whom I haven't found the money to hire replacements for yet.

I dumbfucked it up and thought I needed clay tiles for my manor instead of more planks, just like the church.

but hey at least I get to name my lord something funny like Kuntrash

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

This could not be more wrong. Pin the enemy with your spears or retinue and put the archers behind them. The do backstab damage or whatever that ignores armor. It’s 100% an easy way to murder some fools and route them.

Seriously it’s the best early game strategy. You’ll kill poo poo with no losses.

Also archers are piss cheap to make. 100% should be your second unit.

On the release version? I thought I was crazy from what happened with mine, but I've been watching Deadlyslob play it and something happened with the launch day patch where they were suddenly shooting nerf darts and dying if a bandit farted in their direction.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

That, plus actually seeing your guys run around the map doing stuff is engaging in a really fundamental way that stuff like Anno or the Surviving series just doesn't have.

e: just as the joy of this game and why it's so gripping (for 10 hours or so) despite being actually pretty thin mechanics wise is because the Unreal Engine makes your little electronic peasants appear real as they scurry about their little lives on a 3d map you can zoom around and live in their house that through a bit of trickey looks unique but is a template that bends a little due to border setting.

It's like Rimworld. What makes these games gripping is not actually whether the game economy is an interesting puzzle to solve but whether the game prompts the player to generate narratives out of play.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 28, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Manor Lords: You don't have enough Ox

Seriously, just get more.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Had a strange bug that ended my run. 3 of my families were assigned somewhere, but i couldn't find them. I saved and unassigned everyone from every single building, still 3 missing. The game really needs a big ledger of all the families and what are they currently doing

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Importing barley or malt to get my tavern up and running seems way to expensive to be sustainable.

Assuming my starting region has poor fertility, does it just make more sense to allow that area to plateau at level 2 homes until I can claim a region with barley fertility and share?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Handy tip: hold down tab to show status icons on everything.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SaltPig posted:

Importing barley or malt to get my tavern up and running seems way to expensive to be sustainable.

Assuming my starting region has poor fertility, does it just make more sense to allow that area to plateau at level 2 homes until I can claim a region with barley fertility and share?

My region has a deep iron mine so I just assigned 4 families to mine it and trade for barley. Actually, ale, I haven't checked if it'll be more efficient to get barley direct. I don't even have the barters are cheaper perk.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Had a strange bug that ended my run. 3 of my families were assigned somewhere, but i couldn't find them. I saved and unassigned everyone from every single building, still 3 missing. The game really needs a big ledger of all the families and what are they currently doing

When I saw this I clicked every Burgage and then my Manor and it turns out I have two families of Servants living in my Manor.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

On the release version? I thought I was crazy from what happened with mine, but I've been watching Deadlyslob play it and something happened with the launch day patch where they were suddenly shooting nerf darts and dying if a bandit farted in their direction.

ive been running archer only except retinue and mercs. spread your line out, when they come under contact give ground and defend, the free units run past and get flanking shots on fire at will/direct fire, retinue ties up heavy infantry/other retinue (yours is higher quality than the enemy's if fully armoured, even if outnumbered) and the enemy melts. also bows are the easiest weapon to make, while also being equally valuable at export. finally, if you use a bow unit, you can disband and reform practically for free with a big enough population.

not sure why people are saying the game "falls apart" at 30 or so families, i hit 200 in one region and stalled out there due to food issues from mistakes i made in the development/research tree - reducing import and trade route fees are way more important for your "capital", while your adjoining regions should probably mostly be designed to feed it given their superior fertility and availability of rich deposits. took me five hours to clear the map pretty easily.

top tips - once you have a stable high regional wealth and can tax it, you can effectively maintain all the mercenaries and deny them to the enemy faction. you will always outnumber them this way on default settings and it's not that costly. do not have the tax rate up all the time, just tick it when you need the money.

sell bows. if you need to early, sell stone. import ale for the tavern when you need to upgrade houses, don't worry too much about keeping it stocked. focus on the trade tree above all else. always have a small backyard at least - give them chicken coops. get a bunch of large backyards - give them carrot farms. this, hunting and foraging will account for all of your food variety needs.

raid bandit camps with your retinue and first spear unit all the time. use that to hire more retinue AND upgrade them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't like the development limitation system.

I can see the vision - you build up a network of specialised fiefs around your castle that pass resources between each other in order to each get everything they need, but that feels like a lot of busywork in a citybuilder sim to build up multiple villages from scratch on the same map. Not to mention that if you go down the trade pathway then getting rid of tariffs means a harder start but you can just go ahead and buy everything you need.