Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JonathonSpectre posted:

gently caress! So is there any way I can get them to harvest it instead? And also, why are they plowing up the loving field? I planted the field in... February, March? I thought I'd harvest somewhere between September and December... when does it actually happen?

Game definitely has the best "Hey why the gently caress are you doing this highly illogical thing?" pawn vibe since Rimworld. NO HARVEST ONLY PLOW AND SOW.

There's a box when you select a field that you can use to force them to harvest it early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a box when you select a field that you can use to force them to harvest it early.

This option appears to work well so far and it will prevent harvest loss.

I disabled crop rotation because it just doesnt seem to work well. That being said it does appear that some crops can survive the winter if sowed in the fall. Flax seems to be able to make it to spring.

Overall there are some peculiar behaviors that need to be sorted out.

Burns fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 2, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wafflecopper posted:

Having a go at brigand survival mode. Does anyone know what the number of units the brigand raid parties get is based off? My first raid, when I had one region, had one unit. Since then I've claimed two more regions and my second raid has three units. Obviously this is a meaninglessly small sample size but I'm wondering if it might be one unit of brigands per region controlled, in which case I'll want to hold off claiming more until I've built my militia and retinues up some more. But equally it might just be time, in which case I might want to grab the regions asap and start exploiting them.

It seems to be time. For me it's been 1-2-3-4

You're really gonna want to grab the central region and make that your main hub for militia + build on the inner edges of the outside ones. If you don't, they'll spawn and immediately burn poo poo down.

They do leave once they have though, so in theory if you have enough stockpiled you can just click rebuild 100 times after they sweep through.

E: Farming. I've finally gotten it working, needed an extra communal oven and a granary dedicated to just moving around farm products, but it works!

I'm playing the raider campaign right now and the only change I want to it is "raiders are coming from x direction in a month" because I've had to move entire towns to the middle, trying to avoid the insta burn down of half my village.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 2, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Burns posted:

This option appears to work well so far and it will prevent harvest loss.

I disabled crop rotation because it just doesnt seem to work well. That being said it does appear that some crops can survive the winter if sowed in the fall. Flax seems to be able to make it to spring.

Overall there are some peculiar behaviors that need to be sorted out.

I think all crops will make it through the winter, with their growth progress intact even, as long as crop rotation isn't turned on. If crop rotation is turned on for automation that seems to set the schedule and once it ticks over the farm workers see "Welp, that crop is there and it's supposed to be fallow. Gotta rip that out". It's a bit of a micromanagement pain in the rear end the first few years but until you're at the point of having excess population you can just dump on the farms year around and ignore along with a sizable enough food reserve to cover some patchy times I've had the best outcomes with manually checking the fields twice a month or so and seeing what needs done on each field based on their state as a crop, not the time on the calendar.

Bakery update; best I've been able to do is get the bakery up to level 3 and get a few families in there. With enough families living there full time, the building upgrades increasing storage considerably, and the granary three steps away directly across the street, bakery families carrying one loaf at a time is enough to get the backlogged time down to a minimum and get some decent throughput. Granary workers continue to completely ignore it.

Tonight's project is going to be figuring out how best to integrate sheep in to this for the fertilization perk, and figuring out what the poo poo is up with donkeys and the inter-zone trading posts. I'd really like to be able to give bread to my new mining colony to help sustain them and give them food diversity but I'm apparently forced to trade 1:1 for piddly poo poo like iron ore I don't need in my main city just to be able to push bread over to the colony. *IF* I can get the stupid prick standing next to the donkey to get their rear end in gear and actually do a thing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game is neat but I bounced off it way harder than I expected to. I think it's just the fact that it's obviously still very early on and other games existing that sorta do the same thing but differently like Ostriv and Farthest Frontier. Obviously they all have different things going on for them so it's not 1:1 but I'd rather play something further on in development. Glad I was able to try it on gamepass, it's got a ton of potential and I hope they're able to really nail it in early access.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I will give Manor Lords credit, it is simple to understand on a base level. Playing it inspired me to go back and try Farthest Frontier for the first time since launch and I was immediately overwhelmed. When you start a map with "place your town hall for optimal resources DO NOT gently caress THIS UP" it makes you push back a little bit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

I will give Manor Lords credit, it is simple to understand on a base level. Playing it inspired me to go back and try Farthest Frontier for the first time since launch and I was immediately overwhelmed. When you start a map with "place your town hall for optimal resources DO NOT gently caress THIS UP" it makes you push back a little bit.

I really, really love how they massaged away a lot of that crap. The closest I've ever come is flipping to farm mode early in a map to see what the fertility layout looks like and spot the areas with good overlap for a multi-crop field. Mostly you want to make sure your houses aren't smack dab on the only chunk of good farm land you have. But if your stone is a little sub-optimally placed on the outskirts of town? Whatever, it'll get done. But it's not just a casual builder or whatever, you absolutely can gently caress poo poo up. It's just pretty obvious if you do.

The strongest point to me so far is how the town layout just feels more like a normal town, something that grows kind of organically with some oddities and inefficiencies that ultimately don't make it non-viable or whatever. This is in stark contrast to many city builders where you have to decode what the optimal layout is or you'll never hit max tier.

The castle building is also pretty intuitive. I mean, there's no reason to do it right now, but I was able to build myself a cool little fort on the outskirts of my town. I really hope they flesh this out. Let me take down those wooden walls and put up proper stone ones. Let me make a bigger keep. That could be really, REALLY awesome after a few major feature updates, and it would be cool to see the castle/town relationship develop.

I really hope the developer (singular, lol) is able to use some of this revenue to hire a few extra people and really flesh this out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My heart of hearts dream is that the developer (lol) goes hog wild on the castle thing, then we get fun castle building and siege/siege defense mechanics for zone control with the same tight level of integration that there currently is for militia/economy. Put that joiner shop to work making trebuchets and promote rich stone veins to a serious strategic resource for ammo and wall building.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The castle building is also pretty intuitive. I mean, there's no reason to do it right now, but I was able to build myself a cool little fort on the outskirts of my town. I really hope they flesh this out. Let me take down those wooden walls and put up proper stone ones. Let me make a bigger keep. That could be really, REALLY awesome after a few major feature updates, and it would be cool to see the castle/town relationship develop.

I really hope the developer (singular, lol) is able to use some of this revenue to hire a few extra people and really flesh this out.
Dev said in a PC Gamer interview that they had grand plans for castles, walls, and sieges, including sisge engines. That some mechanics for this were testing in pre-launch builds.

When he'll get around to putting it in is the question but it does seem like they plan to put in those mechanics.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah the castle building stuff is really cool, but the one time I built a wall around my settlement for aesthetics, it made everything fall under the "manor" zone - meaning I couldn't click on any of my buildings. So for now I just build the manor and the garrison tower. Hopefully it gets fleshed out some more later on.

It'd also be nice if walls didn't have to be tied to the manor itself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah the castle building stuff is really cool, but the one time I built a wall around my settlement for aesthetics, it made everything fall under the "manor" zone - meaning I couldn't click on any of my buildings. So for now I just build the manor and the garrison tower. Hopefully it gets fleshed out some more later on.

It'd also be nice if walls didn't have to be tied to the manor itself.

This is actually true to history in so far as you'll have a castle and then the town is outside it. Eventually you get to the point of walling really big cities, but that's the exception rather than the rule and not what you're really talking about with the typical town at the feet of the titular manor lord's estate.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is actually true to history in so far as you'll have a castle and then the town is outside it. Eventually you get to the point of walling really big cities, but that's the exception rather than the rule and not what you're really talking about with the typical town at the feet of the titular manor lord's estate.

Yeah the crucial thing is not so much adding castle building parts and the combat interactions etc, but settling why in gameplay terms I would ever choose to stay holed up in my castle and let my fief burn.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the crucial thing is not so much adding castle building parts and the combat interactions etc, but settling why in gameplay terms I would ever choose to stay holed up in my castle and let my fief burn.

My guess is going to be providing a spot for your peasants to hunker down while their hovels burn. Right now the town will burn but I think it’s impossible for people to die if they’re not in a combat unit. See also : not actually needing food except to be happy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh yeah, I'm aware of the function of how castles really operated, I just wanted to try it out for aesthetics. I also wanted to build walls around things that would be more important to protect from raiders (like the storehouse, maybe) but being unable to click the building when it inside the manor zone is a big impediment to that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

My guess is going to be providing a spot for your peasants to hunker down while their hovels burn. Right now the town will burn but I think it’s impossible for people to die if they’re not in a combat unit. See also : not actually needing food except to be happy.

Probably needs some kind of army supply mechanic so that you can't just sit forces in enemy territory forever (at least not without ruinous cost).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think part of the issue is that there aren't any natural chokepoints on the map. You can put your manor on a road but there is nothing stopping the enemy from just walking around it. Some terrain where they would have to actually break through to attack the farms would make it feel a lot better.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Alchenar posted:

Probably needs some kind of army supply mechanic so that you can't just sit forces in enemy territory forever (at least not without ruinous cost).

There might be? When you raise militia and retinues, those workers aren't doing their normal jobs. If you have ~100 men called up for fighting, that's 100 people who aren't chopping wood, mining, working market stalls, etc. When you disband the units they go back to doing those things and you can see noticeably more people tilling fields, for example. That said, I haven't noticed if it's actually impacted my economy or if it's just an animation thing.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think part of the issue is that there aren't any natural chokepoints on the map. You can put your manor on a road but there is nothing stopping the enemy from just walking around it. Some terrain where they would have to actually break through to attack the farms would make it feel a lot better.

Yeah the only choke point I've really noticed is that one zone has a cliff you can build on

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jamwad Hilder posted:

There might be? When you raise militia and retinues, those workers aren't doing their normal jobs. If you have ~100 men called up for fighting, that's 100 people who aren't chopping wood, mining, working market stalls, etc. When you disband the units they go back to doing those things and you can see noticeably more people tilling fields, for example. That said, I haven't noticed if it's actually impacted my economy or if it's just an animation thing.

Yeah the only choke point I've really noticed is that one zone has a cliff you can build on

It definitely has an impact. Not in a red-flag error message "There's nobody to haul this lumber!" way but the rest of your economy will absolutely grind to a halt if you clear out every available recruit and leave them on the other side of the map.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I restarted and it seems like the setting to prevent bandit camps from spawning doesn't work anymore :argh: I tried restarting several times but even with the max number of bandit camps set to 0, they still spawn once or twice every year.

Not a fan of the combat in this game, I just don't want combat in a city builder because it feels like busy work more than anything, and it interrupts me planning and building my city too frequently.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Well, for accuracy's sake to start with your castle should have multiple months of food and firewood storage. It should also have building supplies E.G. wood, stone, etc. storage and not a small amount either. If you can just turn all your peasants loose to quickly rebuild and resume business then your fief burning hurts a lot less comparatively and you'd presumably weigh the reconstruction costs against the losses that combat would cost your militia and retainers. A close decisive battle could put a final stop to the problem, or it could just cost you more than rebuilding.

It'd be an interesting dilemma to give players.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My retinue got wiped out in a battle, how do I get it back?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Popete posted:

My retinue got wiped out in a battle, how do I get it back?

When you select a retinue (not a militia) there's a paintbrush icon that lets you customize the retinue, you recruit new retinues in that menu for 50s each. You can also choose their weapons and armor from this menu, and you can buy them plate armor from here too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok thanks!

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm really hoping the dev supports modding when it hits 1.0, with a good modding community you could do a lot with the foundations here.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dogstile posted:

You're really gonna want to grab the central region and make that your main hub for militia + build on the inner edges of the outside ones. If you don't, they'll spawn and immediately burn poo poo down.

They do leave once they have though, so in theory if you have enough stockpiled you can just click rebuild 100 times after they sweep through.

I'm playing the raider campaign right now and the only change I want to it is "raiders are coming from x direction in a month" because I've had to move entire towns to the middle, trying to avoid the insta burn down of half my village.

Are you playing on hard mode and/or sandbox mode after finishing the goal to reach large town? Because I just finished it without needing to do any of that or having anything burn down. Only got raided twice before hitting large town in my starting region, with one hunting village supporting from a neighbouring region.

e: Haha welp. I was gonna keep going on sandbox mode myself to see if it got harder and to see how big I could get my town but now I'm getting the victory popup and stat screen every day. The stats screen keeps listing all the stats from each day since I won the first time

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 3, 2024

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Wafflecopper posted:

e: Haha welp. I was gonna keep going on sandbox mode myself to see if it got harder and to see how big I could get my town but now I'm getting the victory popup and stat screen every day. The stats screen keeps listing all the stats from each day since I won the first time

Yeah that's a known problem when you have the Growth victory goal, makes it not really playable after reaching the last milestone.

I do think the central region (Waldbrand) is the best start for a campaign with the baron enabled since it's much easier to get your starting militias to the right places. I have a current game starting in the northwest corner and marching across the entire map to try to beat the baron to bandit spawns is always a pain.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's very ironic that the best way to make money early on is to raid bandit camps and steal all their stuff.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think my biggest wish for this game right now, other than UI stuff, is a lumber yard building. I want to have a central lumber storage which my oxen will tow logs to from my logging camps as a low-priority job. Right now you can sort of do this by keeping an unmanned logging camp where you want your storage and periodically deleting outlying camps so their inventory will be transported back to the central one, but that's fiddly, and my hypothetical storage area would hold like 100-200 logs instead of 28 in the same area.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alchenar posted:

It's very ironic that the best way to make money early on is to raid bandit camps and steal all their stuff.

an expansion of the taxation system is badly needed. I should be able to skim a little bit off all the trade that's going on. As it is my main town is insanely wealthy and I'm perpetually broke because the only lever I have is land taxes that will make people revolt* if you crank them much beyond 10 or 20%

*not actually revolt, just get sad.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Alchenar posted:

The separation of regional wealth and personal wealth is kind of silly imo. I understand what they are going for, but it seems like the lord of this tiny little village should be able to go "yknow what? That new ox? It's on me. No problem guys".

Sure, limit the use of regional wealth for paying soldiers, but it should be okay the opposite way as well.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a "personal wealth" system for families as well. It seems like there is a whole system set up for it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CuddleCryptid posted:

The separation of regional wealth and personal wealth is kind of silly imo. I understand what they are going for, but it seems like the lord of this tiny little village should be able to go "yknow what? That new ox? It's on me. No problem guys".

Sure, limit the use of regional wealth for paying soldiers, but it should be okay the opposite way as well.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a "personal wealth" system for families as well. It seems like there is a whole system set up for it.

This would make expanding in to another region a much less painful process. Unless I'm stupid the only way is to pay for the settler camp thing, and then the new region is almost entirely on its own. At best you can set up the trader donkey and send back something stupid like iron ore to your main village or whatever in exchange for bread to stay alive or firewood to also stay alive, but that still means a portion of your limited initial pool of labor has to be going to some kind of task to produce something just to send back. Kinda strikes me as weird. I can set land taxes on everyone in the territory but I can't spend those taxes and tell the baker "Yeah those loaves are on me, and it's going over there. Don't worry about what they have available I'm covering it."

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah there's a real tension between wanting players to specialise regions, but also setting things up so that for all practical purposes each region needs to be self-sufficient.

Setting up inter region trade is an enormous hassle compared to just going to the open market.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there's a real tension between wanting players to specialise regions, but also setting things up so that for all practical purposes each region needs to be self-sufficient.

Setting up inter region trade is an enormous hassle compared to just going to the open market.

It would make more sense if they were separate zones a la Anno, but villages can see each other if they stand on top of their houses.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My take is that the fix would be to A) let the player pick their starting territory (minus any controlled by AI at the start) and B) cap the size that secondary towns can grow to. Within those restrictions, let good be shipped freely.

This would encourage having a core town and feeder suburbs rather than a shitload of towns all around the map that are all basically equal.

Also restrict keep/castle construction to the capital town but remove the one retinue per keep cap. Maybe provide lesser admin buildings in the secondary towns that contribute to whatever mechanic makes sense.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is there some super secret way to de-brewery-ize a burgage without demolishing it? Starting to expand in to level 3 burgages to max out my development points and want to optimize my brewery location right next to the alehouse since there's apparently some weirdness about trying to store ale in storehouses I need to work around. Read that it ends up in an eternal labor-consuming loop of people going back and forth from the alehouse to the storehouse and back, so the best way is to keep your alehouse as the only authorized storage location and just kinda suck it up that the brewery is also gonna be capped and the brewery families need to walk it over one at a time without a cart.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

bird food bathtub posted:

Is there some super secret way to de-brewery-ize a burgage without demolishing it? Starting to expand in to level 3 burgages to max out my development points and want to optimize my brewery location right next to the alehouse since there's apparently some weirdness about trying to store ale in storehouses I need to work around. Read that it ends up in an eternal labor-consuming loop of people going back and forth from the alehouse to the storehouse and back, so the best way is to keep your alehouse as the only authorized storage location and just kinda suck it up that the brewery is also gonna be capped and the brewery families need to walk it over one at a time without a cart.

The only way is to demolish it and rebuild, sadly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I found a good way to learn the ropes but still deal with some military challenges was to turn off the AI but turn bandit raids and camps up to the maximum. You still have to deal with the occasional threat but you can mostly figure things out without really risking losing it all.

This seems like a good idea. Does that include setting raider frequency to "frequent" instead of "medium"?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Alchenar posted:

Stealing stuff has historically been a great way to enrich yourself tbh

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I finally beat the Baron scenario. I think I'm done for now, at least until there's a content update. I feel like I did what I came to do in this version. 25 hours or so, pretty good for this early of an early release.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Cyrano4747 posted:

Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Same. I sincerely hope that the dev manages to pull it off, and does not need another 7 years for it.