Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Proud to be an American - Lee Greenwood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

coldplay's success is a testament to how boring most people are

Wow, I love Coldplay.

Got a lot of thinking to do this weekend....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Maybe I'm a freak, but I like all music, and if it was a hit, there was a good reason it was a hit. Some reason, however dumb. And I'm down with it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Did anyone say "HEY MICKEY" yet?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

I'm fine with that

This poo poo is bananas
B-A-N-A-N-A-S

lol I love her whole solo album

What are you waiting for? Banger.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gwen Stefani - Love, Angel, Music, Baby

What are you waiting for - hit
Rich Girl - hit
Hollaback Girl - hit

Haraijuku Girls - (hit in my heart)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

We can all agree the 1990's was the peak of popular music.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That proud boy song doesn't count as a hit does it?

Did it make the Billboard top 50??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Name one classic rock song that isn't about an underaged girl

Xanadu

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

More than a Feeling Bob!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For personal reasons:

Dokken, Dream Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noLPhZvcBpw

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brimful of Asha

(I love it)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7H0ooV_o8

Brimful of Asha

It's so much fun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Pretty much every rock and roll love song is about having an affair, or treating a woman badly (here is guitar solo for you bitch), "forbidden love" as already noted here, or just how it's cool to bang this woman, sometimes with the lead singer actually banging the woman in a recording booth.

What about muscle cars?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think we're alone now - Tiffany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Q3mHyzn78

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Crazy taxi owns tho

Not even close

Did you watch the official video?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol "CRINGE"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

This reminds me of Billy Squier's Rock Me Tonight; the song itself is kinda unremarkable but Squier himself says the music video destroyed his career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hbiv0tCirU

That is such an AWESOME 80's apartment. There's an elevator! It's in the basement!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It does. lol. I absolutely love how amateur this video is.

Hey, its Tiffany at the mall!

Hey! It's Tiffany at the impound lot!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I didn't realize what exactly "smooth jazz" was until fairly recently when landing on a radio station in search of non-distracting filler music. Closest thing I can compare it to is the background music of the local forecasts on the Weather Channel in the 90s. I was a little dumbfounded that this was an actual genre of music with its own radio stations and top 10 request countdowns and everything.

Before any potential smooth jazz fans out there take offense, I can't in good conscience claim it was "bad" and it did in fact serve my needs in the moment, but I confess for a bit there part of me felt profoundly embarrassed at it. I felt like it was music for people who hate music; like Michael Bolton would've been too hard and edgy for this scene. Also at first I thought all the tracks were from the 80s before realizing most of them were pretty new.

Whether I should be embarrassed for being a snobby judgmental rear end in a top hat over something deliberately inoffensive or if I should be embarrassed for actually consistently listening to this blandest radio station ever for several days in a row (or for writing this dumb pointless post about it when nobody could possibly care), I was probably right to be embarrassed.

As a Smooth Jazz purist, Firstly.....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sourdough Sam posted:

For some people Smooth Jazz is the only thing keeping them from killdozer-ing.

DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A gently caress?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I recently learned the lady from Garbage has a piss fetish

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol, drat. That's some white rear end bullshit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Workin' 9 to 5, it ain't no way to make a livin'

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol LOLENE

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You're not man enough for Dolly, and I mean that on multiple fronts.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

God, Cetera could hit a high note like no other. loving HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Superbowl Shuffle by some group called the Bears.

That band's got more members than a dozen K-Pop idol groups, though. They could probably just cut it down to just the guys who get solos and play instruments.

"The Fridge"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fuckin Peter Cetera - "Glory of Love"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQHhqDRn4_c

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'll stick up for Peter Cetera to an extent. He had a cool distinctive voice that let him smoothly glide through power ballads without "oversinging," and while I didn't care for most of his songs, his Karate Kid love anthem was catchy and the movie provided the perfect context for the material. "Peter Cetera" is a killer name for a musician, too, for whatever that's worth.

He also had a duet with Cher that's frankly pretty awful but is hilarious because you know they both paired up out of morbid fascination to hear how ridiculous it'll sound when they combine their weird distinctive voices (and for maximum weirdness he has the higher voice singing the lower parts while she has the deeper voice singing the higher parts)- it's like they morph into a single androgynous 80s power ballad-belting banshee creature.

I'll go ahead and post a vid even though I actually think it's awesome as a mad scientist experiment and don't find it embarrassing at all (honestly this thread's showing a distressing lack of appreciation for kitsch that I find unbecoming of a comedy forum called "SomethingAwful.com" but whatever I won't judge)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqxF0vspDSE

lol "80's power ballad-belting banshee creature"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I went to school with her cousin. She was pretty unremarkable but said that Shirley Manson was "nice".

This is the kind of celebrity gossip I crave.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm too sexy for my shirt....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chrpno posted:

The punchline being, that now those bald antivaxxers are getting serious Swiftie money for a melody they ripped off from the 60's anyway.

The Right Said Fred guys are antivaxxers??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chrpno posted:

Maybe a little bit, and all the other stuff that comes with that

Guns and Trump?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey Mickey - Toni Basil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aqLwHP4y6Q

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Splorange posted:

I mean, you could say some of these videos are construed to cater to specific fetishes. It's kinda sad that music videos aren't as big of a thing anymore.

Also also, this thread is improving my mood considerably. I guess I'm past the point of staring into the abyss, I have become the abyss.

Once you look into it, yadda yaddda

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's Starships "We Built this City"

I went to see Starship at the height of this song. I was there for Night Ranger but you do what you need, right?

Starship opened with "We Built This City", they closed with "We Built This City", and they came out for this hilarious encore with "We Built This City" that no one asked for, I think in fact everyone was booing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

All from a freaking Gap ad. Remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

all those quick shots of the pants, just pants, pants, pants, pants, pants, pants, pants.

I had to look it up. It's amusingly innocuous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knW1hGwmEXQ