Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Celebrate the 10th anniversary of Tales of Vesperia and the return of this fan-favorite with the Definitive Edition!

A power struggle begins in a civilization dependent on an ancient technology, the blastia, and the Empire that controls it. The fates of two friends traveling separate paths intertwine in an epic adventure that threatens the existence of all.

Dive into the Definitive version of this game with updated full HD graphics, brand-new music tracks, exciting mini-games, bosses, and a collection of unreleased costume DLC!

Two more playable characters join the fray!
• Patty Fleur, a cheerful and tough young pirate girl in search of treasure, adventure… and her forgotten memories.
• Flynn Scifo, Yuri’s best friend and an Imperial Knight, now joins the rest on their journey!

Tales of Vesperia is the 10th-ish game in the long-running Tales series of JRPGs, originally released in 2008 for Xbox 360. It was later released on PS3 with extras, but only in Japan, and the changes/additions were never officially released worldwide until this Definitive Edition in 2019. The Tales series is a fairly standard but charming fantasy franchise, with an emphasis on character interactions (often via optional skits) and a real-time action battle system. This one builds directly from the 3D battle systems of Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss, so if you've ever played those you pretty much know exactly what to expect.

My co-commentator Sibyl (whose current forums name I refuse to put here) and I have both dabbled in the Tales series from different angles, but haven't really ever dug deep into it. If you've seen our Trails series LPs, you'll know pretty much what to expect here -- a pretty casual, exploratory and moderately-completionist run. Neither of us have played this at all before and are coming in totally blind (save a spoiler-free missables guide) so please be good about not posting huge spoilers and putting stuff in tags, thanks!

If you think the game looks neat but want to read it instead of listening to us, Admiral H. Curtiss did a full screenshot LP of the game, also featuring the PS3 content. I don't believe there's anything totally new added for the DE, so make sure to check that out!

Full playlist

01. Downtown Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

01. Downtown Boy

We begin the exciting adventures of Yuri Lowell as he and his faithful dog Repede head out to explore the world actually wait no he got sent to jail, never mind.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Level 1 Thief posted:

My co-commentator Sibyl (whose current forums name I refuse to put here)

You'll be so embarrassed when I change this to something incredibly Sesame Street by comparison in like a month's time

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Item Request Cancel/Allow does affect whether your AI characters go 'hey I'm going to use this item, push L3 if you want me not to or I will do it in a few seconds' (which is Cancel) or 'hey I want to use this item, push L3 if I'm allowed to do that or else I won't' (which is Allow). The latter is also technically faster since you don't have to wait for the timeout.

Regarding the voice acting, you probably have noticed this by now but Namco did a real botch job on the English voices in the rerelease. The PS3 version added *a lot* of voice acting, and Bamco did indeed record new voices 10 years later, to mixed effect. A few VAs do a good job of matching their old performance, a few don't, and a few they just got a completely different voice actor so it's really bizarre whenever a scene with the new voices comes around. And for some NPCs they didn't even bother trying to match the old actor even slightly. It's unfortunate, but not out of line with how they've treated this series in recent years in general...

I've played though this game a million times thanks to working on the PS3 fan-translation and LP, so if you have any specific questions I can probably answer them, even if I haven't played it in a while now. I can also provide general tips if you want them, just ask.

One thing I am going to recommend to you is this reference guide we originally made for the PS3 translation, which was originally just intended as a read-along for people who were unable to find a hackable PS3 (which was pretty difficult at the time), but as it turns out is actually really useful to just check for synthesis materials or the like in regular play too. Though be aware that it naturally contains spoilers.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've watched/read LP's for most of the Tales games, including this one, but I only actually played (the PC ports) of Zestiria and Berseria. I did finish Zesteria, but didn't quite finish Berseria and drifted away onto something else. (I got over a hundred hours in, to the point where the final dungeon was opened, but got discouraged trying to get a high Grade score on a difficult optional boss while also controlling a character I wasn't using that well (and also because I was using M/KB, I couldn't really use combos)). Maybe I'll go back to it one day, since I have now acquired a controller which I put... somewhere?

I do kinda recall Vesperia, but I think it's only average for a Trails game. Not bad, but not my favorite either. So my memory on things may be faulty or incomplete.

- I'm not entirely sure why the game makes such a big deal of "monsters everywhere outside the city barriers," when it rarely feels that different from all other JRPG's. It's just something which is played up early on to stop players from going to non-plot areas too early then gets dropped (not the only thing which gets dropped).
- I'm not sure how old Yuri is, but I think he's older than the normal protagonists. I peg him as in his early 20's.
- Inspired by one of the "Give videogame characters Red Custom Titles" threads, I gave Yuri "I WILL STOP JUGGLING MY SWORD MID-FIGHT".

- Yuri's complaining about the guards and Cumore, but he did assault two guards (four of you count Tweedle A & B), break into a mansion and steal some stuff just because maybe the missing Blastia had been stolen by the mage who repaired it. He doesn't actually have any information, nor did he do any kind of investigation. He just did a :shrug:
- The guards took your bones? That's no good. You have to keep your bones safe.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 28, 2024

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
I kind of wish titles always give visible stat boosts, like not large ones that HUGELY matter, but it would nice to be like "The titles collected throughout the game are different aspects of this characters and which one you in lean into a fight effects your stat line" but don't limit the stats mod to a few random ones which seem to whats described here.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

weso12 posted:

I kind of wish titles always give visible stat boosts, like not large ones that HUGELY matter, but it would nice to be like "The titles collected throughout the game are different aspects of this characters and which one you in lean into a fight effects your stat line" but don't limit the stats mod to a few random ones which seem to whats described here.

I think Symphonia did this to some extent. I haven't played it in a long while though so idk the details of how it works.

My Vesperia experience was playing the DE on switch, getting maybe 25 hours through, and then it crashing most of the way through a long, tedious dungeon. I never picked the game back up after that. I'll be enjoying this as a way to experience it again.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

02. Castle Healer

Apple gels are never so refreshing as when healing from bosses by whom we have yet to be defeated.

--------

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Regarding the voice acting, you probably have noticed this by now but Namco did a real botch job on the English voices in the rerelease. The PS3 version added *a lot* of voice acting, and Bamco did indeed record new voices 10 years later, to mixed effect. A few VAs do a good job of matching their old performance, a few don't, and a few they just got a completely different voice actor so it's really bizarre whenever a scene with the new voices comes around. And for some NPCs they didn't even bother trying to match the old actor even slightly. It's unfortunate, but not out of line with how they've treated this series in recent years in general...

So I haven't really noticed anything too overt yet (we've recorded up to the return trip to Halure with ingredients) but that might just be either me not paying enough attention or the new lines still being sparse at this point. Honestly the Troy Baker impersonation market is extremely competitive by now and they're generally very good at it, so I'm not likely to be able to immediately point to which lines are him and which ones are Grant George. Something to think about going forward, I guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've watched/read LP's for most of the Tales games, including this one, but I only actually played (the PC ports) of Zestiria and Berseria. I did finish Zesteria, but didn't quite finish Berseria and drifted away onto something else. (I got over a hundred hours in, to the point where the final dungeon was opened, but got discouraged trying to get a high Grade score on a difficult optional boss while also controlling a character I wasn't using that well (and also because I was using M/KB, I couldn't really use combos)). Maybe I'll go back to it one day, since I have now acquired a controller which I put... somewhere?

I do kinda recall Vesperia, but I think it's only average for a Trails game. Not bad, but not my favorite either. So my memory on things may be faulty or incomplete.

Mainly what I'm betting on here is that despite me having a few issues with the Tales games I've played, the things that this series does really well (real-time action battles, lots of funny (voice-acted) scenes between the characters) should make for good LP fodder. So far I think it's going well!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Yuri's complaining about the guards and Cumore, but he did assault two guards (four of you count Tweedle A & B), break into a mansion and steal some stuff just because maybe the missing Blastia had been stolen by the mage who repaired it. He doesn't actually have any information, nor did he do any kind of investigation. He just did a :shrug:

Yuri's introduction makes the reaction to Luke in Abyss funnier, as Luke is widely reviled at the start of that game despite mostly just being kind of spoiled and selfish for a lot of it (until the Luke Problems accelerate as part of the buildup to Akzeriuth). Meanwhile Yuri here is assaulting people in the streets and breaking into random homes and it's A-OK! Yes this comparison deliberately ignores a lot of context and I'm fine with that.

saladscooper posted:

My Vesperia experience was playing the DE on switch, getting maybe 25 hours through, and then it crashing most of the way through a long, tedious dungeon. I never picked the game back up after that. I'll be enjoying this as a way to experience it again.

That sucks, here's hoping they've patched out whatever caused that. So far I've been lucky and I think I've only ever had three full crashes on recording (one in each Cold Steel and one in World's End Club).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I love that the guard at the gate to the "Royal quarter" (which consists of... one empty house) said "You can enter freely," suggesting that Yuri's knocking them out with a rock was unnecessary.
- I don't think that's the elf's hair, it looks like a mask tied on with a bandanna.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Level 1 Thief posted:

So I haven't really noticed anything too overt yet (we've recorded up to the return trip to Halure with ingredients) but that might just be either me not paying enough attention or the new lines still being sparse at this point. Honestly the Troy Baker impersonation market is extremely competitive by now and they're generally very good at it, so I'm not likely to be able to immediately point to which lines are him and which ones are Grant George. Something to think about going forward, I guess.

There's actually been a whole bunch in these first two videos already, but if you don't notice then I guess better for you. For me Grant's Yuri really sticks out -- it's not bad, but it just has a different vibe compared to Troy's. Estelle on the other hand sounds exactly the same as she did back then to me.

If you want to compare, here's a detailed set of the newly voiced scenes; everything not listed here is old stuff (including all skits, none of them so far have been new):

- https://youtu.be/03SX1fGWa88?t=2302 There's practically no Yuri in this, but for completeness, the Wonder Reporter scene here was unvoiced in 360.
- https://youtu.be/03SX1fGWa88?t=2420 The scene immediately after was unvoiced in 360. This is where it's very easy to notice because the skit that pops up immediately after is old VO.
- https://youtu.be/03SX1fGWa88?t=2804 https://youtu.be/03SX1fGWa88?t=2855 https://youtu.be/03SX1fGWa88?t=2906 The following scenes by the mansion are also new VO. The scene after this outside with Adecor/Boccos is old VO.
- https://youtu.be/rvubUHGeYCs?t=70 This encounter tutorial scene here is new VO.
- https://youtu.be/rvubUHGeYCs?t=519 The scene outside the kitchen is new VO.
- https://youtu.be/rvubUHGeYCs?t=838 The scene outside Flynn's room is new VO. The scene inside (including the in-battle dialogue and the short scene outside at the end) is old.
- https://youtu.be/rvubUHGeYCs?t=2518 The scene in the sewers about linked encounters is new VO.

---

Any jankiness in the skit art or animations is not a bug or a remaster thing, it really is like that in all versions. I have no idea why. Even Abyss's skits looked better than Vesperia's.

Regarding costumes, while you're right that the two DLC packs listed in the Steam Store do only contain stuff that is unlockable in-game, you should by-default have the PS3 DLC-only costumes in your DLC tab in the Items menu, in case you want to play around with them. (Minus the Keroro costume for Karol that was removed for licensing reasons, there's a port of it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2680254572 / PS3 -> PC conversion source code)

The Strategy thing you were searching for is indeed under Strategy, you have to hit that (X) Edit button to get to the menu. Think of them like presets you can quickly switch between and editing the presets.

Also it really annoys me how the remaster hosed up the coodinates on the screen shatter effect when you enter combat. The effect is supposed to spread out from the position on screen where the enemy that touched you stands, but in the remaster this only works correctly if you're running at 720p (which is the resolution the 360 version ran at).

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 5, 2024

vectoral
Nov 26, 2007

Tell your mom, tell your dad, we were super rad.
Hah, in my playthrough I managed to walk into the Zagi fight with only 1 or 2 gels in my inventory, and I can sort of empathize with that Steam reviewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

- https://youtu.be/03SX1fGWa88?t=2420 The scene immediately after was unvoiced in 360. This is where it's very easy to notice because the skit that pops up immediately after is old VO.

I can kind of hear it in this one, though it's more on the recording quality than what they're saying -- skit Yuri has a much heavier bass to it. There is a difference in performance and tone, but honestly I think it's within the usual variance of anime-style games from the era, so it flew right by me.

I'm also hopeless at identifying fake accents so it's fair to say this is a me problem.

Regarding costumes, while you're right that the two DLC packs listed in the Steam Store do only contain stuff that is unlockable in-game, you should by-default have the PS3 DLC-only costumes in your DLC tab in the Items menu, in case you want to play around with them.

I ... really should have checked that tab. Dunno how I missed it, thanks.