Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

this happened

https://x.com/AP/status/1785355350721376726

this is currently happening

https://x.com/WKCRFM/status/1785475618991489186

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Has the DEA announced that it will be rescheduled, or is that still speculation?

More importantly, because I don’t understand US drug law at all, what is the practical impact of marijuana becoming schedule III?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Has the DEA announced that it will be rescheduled, or is that still speculation?

More importantly, because I don’t understand US drug law at all, what is the practical impact of marijuana becoming schedule III?

Currently it's schedule 1 which means "no therapeutic use at all" and you can't get any federal money for research. Schedule 3 is "useful but somewhat high abuse potential" so acknowledgement of its utility means it will be much easier to do research on its effectiveness. Recreational use is still banned.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought people were doing medical research in the US on MDMA already as a schedule I drug, though? (If you can’t do research on it, how could you find acceptable medical uses?)

Thank you, though—it’s a confusing mess to me and I worry every time I take my stimulant medications over the border…

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I will say, after thinking about it for a bit, this could (down the road) be used by drug companies to pressure medical only states to legislate that it had to be dispensed by a licensed pharmacist, aka through their distribution network so they can elbow in on the business.

All they gotta do is breed a slightly different strain, patent it, get FDA approval, and only sell that to licensed pharmacies. Voila, monopoly on anyone that wants to smoke legally.

(I know this is very cynical, but if I can think it up somebody then gets paid a lot more than I do probably has)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Subjunctive posted:

https://apnews.com/article/marijuana-biden-dea-criminal-justice-pot-f833a8dae6ceb31a8658a5d65832a3b8

quote:

“Today, the Attorney General circulated a proposal to reclassify marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III,” Justice Department director of public affairs Xochitl Hinojosa said in a statement. The DEA is a component of the Department of Justice. “Once published by the Federal Register, it will initiate a formal rulemaking process as prescribed by Congress in the Controlled Substances Act.”

Attorney General Merrick Garland’s signature throws the full weight of the Justice Department behind the move and appears to signal its importance to the Biden administration.

The rest of the article gets into what the move does / doesn't do.

Coasterphreak posted:

I will say, after thinking about it for a bit, this could (down the road) be used by drug companies to pressure medical only states to legislate that it had to be dispensed by a licensed pharmacist, aka through their distribution network so they can elbow in on the business.

All they gotta do is breed a slightly different strain, patent it, get FDA approval, and only sell that to licensed pharmacies. Voila, monopoly on anyone that wants to smoke legally.

(I know this is very cynical, but if I can think it up somebody then gets paid a lot more than I do probably has)

Big Weed will have a lot to say about this kind of thing happening. There's a weed glut in most of the country and a lot of dispensary consolidation, a lot like sports gambling companies. Also this scenario implies that the states currently awash in weed money will happily cede their interests! IMO, it's just too early to go full-cynicism on this one.

That said, poo poo needs to be full-legal now. If I recall right, only Congress can do that and this kind of maximizes what an administration can do.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

facialimpediment posted:

Big Weed will have a lot to say about this kind of thing happening. There's a weed glut in most of the country and a lot of dispensary consolidation, a lot like sports gambling companies. Also this scenario implies that the states currently awash in weed money will happily cede their interests! IMO, it's just too early to go full-cynicism on this one.

That said, poo poo needs to be full-legal now. If I recall right, only Congress can do that and this kind of maximizes what an administration can do.

You're not wrong, and Congress will definitely have to do something one way or another once it actually is policy and the ramifications start showing up.

In like ten years lol

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I bring you a one-two-three punch of vibes today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsgRY7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQMlWwIXg3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XEnTxlBuGo

Happy May Day Friends.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This is probably more appropriate on May Day, on the reaction to the recent protests

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It feels conspiratorial to type out, but the the people who raise funds for universities are beholden to the same people who own our arms dealers. There's no realistic way to make them take the moral high ground instead of the stance that dumps literal billions into weapons manufacturers as long as that's true.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is probably more appropriate on May Day, on the reaction to the recent protests

With the caveat that this source is pro-israel:

https://twitter.com/hoffman_bruce/status/1785643660446437730?t=sy65yUpK44TTaX2VVuOXrw&s=19

Universities don't much care, so long as the money is green. To some extent, this destroys the "universities aren't involved in foreign policy, so students should shut up" argument I've been seeing from centrist fucks, because of colleges taking foreign money or getting tied up with defense contractors. It doesn't seem to be simple index fund investment either, more direct in a lot of cases. Administrators in a lot of cases are just fund managers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It hasn't actually happened. It's "confirmed" anonymously and still has to be reviewed by the white house. Or the "proposal has been discussed".

It's all just pole number games to try and get more engagement.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CainFortea posted:

It hasn't actually happened. It's "confirmed" anonymously and still has to be reviewed by the white house. Or the "proposal has been discussed".

It's all just pole number games to try and get more engagement.

Scroll up to my quote earlier - you're both wrong and right. Wrong in that there are names attached now - like the Justice Department director of public affairs Xochitl Hinojosa. It's not the anonymous source game. Right in that a lot of this poo poo is rulemaking that won't officially happen for months, due to Biden not being able to magically make a regulation happen. Donnie got shot down a lot because he kept skipping these steps.

You're both right/wrong on the poll number games. Apparently, the administration is doing a flurry of regulation announcements now because of the timing. This month is basically the last time to start the official rulemaking process that a new Congress / Donnie can't immediately kill. This poo poo takes half of forever to do legally when you're dancing around Congress (like Biden is here). But, you're right in that they could've done this poo poo way earlier too.

Basically, he's doing this poo poo for the election. So, he's actually doing this poo poo, and it's specifically motivated for the election!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So what's Biden going to do about the way these student protestors are being treated? Every new development around the genocide in Gaza just makes me want to vote for him even less. At this rate in a few months I'll be out in the street trying to convince people not to vote for genocide Joe.

Not sure he really wants a second term, he is an old man after all.

Old zionists would rather lose the presidency to Trump than give an inch on their eager support for genocide.

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013
Joe will do nothing; I suspect he thinks that enough democratic voters support crackdowns on student protests and will be against cutting aid to Israel that aby action against the student protests are irrelevant.
He may even be correct, as horrifying it is to contemplate. Polls do not seem reliable enough to tell anything these days.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mustang posted:

So what's Biden going to do about the way these student protestors are being treated? Every new development around the genocide in Gaza just makes me want to vote for him even less. At this rate in a few months I'll be out in the street trying to convince people not to vote for genocide Joe.

Old zionists would rather lose the presidency to Trump than give an inch on their eager support for genocide.

The old zionists are already voting Trump because of how anti-Israel Biden is

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

The old zionists are already voting Trump because of how anti-Israel Biden is
I don't know, some Israel supporters I have the misfortune of knowing still vote Biden for some reason. (Probably decorum related)

RC01214 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 1, 2024

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

facialimpediment posted:

Basically, he's doing this poo poo for the election. So, he's actually doing this poo poo, and it's specifically motivated for the election!

Would hate for more politicians to enact the will of their constituents for *spits* votes.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I can't really parse that statement - who do you want to take the moral high ground? Universities?

Mustang posted:

Why would the President of the United States be your go-to on this?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 1, 2024

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RC01214 posted:

I don't know, some Israel supporters I have the misfortune of knowing still vote Biden for some reason. (Probably decorum related)

Could be because there are literal Nazis vocally supporting Trump.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

RC01214 posted:

The Jews I know who identify as zionist are all trump voting chuds. The Jews I know who consider themselves pro Israel but don't really think of themselves as zionists are voting Biden because they that Biden is the better candidate domestically but not so anti-Israel as to be a deal breaker. Basically,

A.o.D. posted:

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Of course, I absolutely am not implying that voting for Trump is an option.
(Unless one is a idiot/nazi.)

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

The Jews I know who identify as zionist are all trump voting chuds. The Jews I know who consider themselves pro Israel but don't really think of themselves as zionists are voting Biden because they that Biden is the better candidate domestically but not so anti-Israel as to be a deal breaker. Basically,

Yes, the people I know fall into the latter category.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mustang posted:

On cops - nothing really. The White House has been releasing lots of statements pro-protester and anti-protester (booootttth siiiides!). Also, the White House doesn't believe that they have control of private university policing and very little control over public university policing. And there's enough bullshit chaff in the air to make pro-palestinian protestors look bad that all sides are just talking past each other.

For what it's worth, Israel is now letting through a whole lot more aid trucks than they used to. They're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. And that pier off Gaza is officially under construction, per CENTCOM twitter.

Biden's also been going nuts lately about the ceasefires on the table that Hamas has been rejecting. Americans are also convinced that we can magically make Israel back off when Israelis in the current government basically want to make all Palestinians shoot on sight. That's basically a direct quote too. It fuckin sucks! We shouldn't be providing arms to that government!

On second term - that sentiment of "he doesn't want a second term" is a lot like "Democrats will boot him at the convention". The bottom line is that Biden is doing what he thinks is right for an ally that got attacked. He's yelling at them a lot behind the scenes, which is nowhere near enough for folks like us and functionally leads to zero change. But he's doing what he thinks is right (which is probably wrong) and he's convinced about it. He likely sees this particular topic of "defending Israel" as more important than his reelection. And with that belief, he won't be able to reach anyone truly believing the Genocide Joe stuff.

Incidentally to posts currently being made: whole lot of non-white voters are culturally Republican, it's just that dang racism thing they can't get past to vote for them :v:

RC01214
Apr 14, 2013

facialimpediment posted:

On cops - nothing really. The White House has been releasing lots of statements pro-protester and anti-protester (booootttth siiiides!). Also, the White House doesn't believe that they have control of private university policing and very little control over public university policing. And there's enough bullshit chaff in the air to make pro-palestinian protestors look bad that all sides are just talking past each other.

For what it's worth, Israel is now letting through a whole lot more aid trucks than they used to. They're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. And that pier off Gaza is officially under construction, per CENTCOM twitter.

Biden's also been going nuts lately about the ceasefires on the table that Hamas has been rejecting. Americans are also convinced that we can magically make Israel back off when Israelis in the current government basically want to make all Palestinians shoot on sight. That's basically a direct quote too. It fuckin sucks! We shouldn't be providing arms to that government!

On second term - that sentiment of "he doesn't want a second term" is a lot like "Democrats will boot him at the convention". The bottom line is that Biden is doing what he thinks is right for an ally that got attacked. He's yelling at them a lot behind the scenes, which is nowhere near enough for folks like us and functionally leads to zero change. But he's doing what he thinks is right (which is probably wrong) and he's convinced about it. He likely sees this particular topic of "defending Israel" as more important than his reelection. And with that belief, he won't be able to reach anyone truly believing the Genocide Joe stuff.

Incidentally to posts currently being made: whole lot of non-white voters are culturally Republican, it's just that dang racism thing they can't get past to vote for them :v:

Yeah on the last point, I have been trying to make that point in previous posts on dnd, as I have personal experience with this in the form of my parents, although we are Canadian, not American.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

I can't really parse that statement - who do you want to take the moral high ground? Universities?

Right, instead of crying to the cops to crack down on protests. But university administrators often have closer relationships with people they hit up for money than their own students. Until those relationships are unwound, expecting college administrators not to take the same positions as capital is spitting into the wind.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Subjunctive posted:

I thought people were doing medical research in the US on MDMA already as a schedule I drug, though? (If you can’t do research on it, how could you find acceptable medical uses?)

yeah but AFAIK it's taken decades of wrangling, doesn't receive federal funding, and still has to jump through some weird hoops (iirc the MDMA used is often from some ancient batch synthed in the 80s because it's that hard to get approval for anyone to do a new synth). idk the specifics, but the FDA has the ability to grant research exemptions and did so in this case

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

Scroll up to my quote earlier - you're both wrong and right. Wrong in that there are names attached now - like the Justice Department director of public affairs Xochitl Hinojosa.

Yes, that would the "or" in my post.

Nothing has actually changed, and it won't. This is just posturing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, let’s show Biden what’s up by voting trump. Surely he wouldn’t be letting Netanyahu do a genocide. Probably be a Palestinian state on day 2 of his second administration!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Biden could do something to appeal to folks who are disgusted with Israel's genocide in Gaza but he deliberately chooses not to. That's on him.

Fact is, people like Biden would rather lose to Trump than do anything to reign in Israel's psychopathic behavior.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 1, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fknlo posted:

Yeah, let’s show Biden what’s up by voting trump. Surely he wouldn’t be letting Netanyahu do a genocide. Probably be a Palestinian state on day 2 of his second administration!

I believe the argument is rather than voting for either pro-genocide candidate people will just stay at home or vote third party.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

CainFortea posted:

Yes, that would the "or" in my post.

Nothing has actually changed, and it won't. This is just posturing.

It is posturing, but like everything else these coming months it's something much more politically valuable than that. It's motivation. A whole bunch of stuff being done to make people feel enough to (get out and motivate others to) vote for the least bad instead of "nah". It's the hand we're dealt.

No election will swing a voter this decade, the predictions will go up or down entirely through these lackadaisical energy fights.

On a different note, the cultural republicans who vote democrat bc of cultural acceptance don't live anywhere an R vote would get past gerrymandering anyway. You take the bad win with the bad. It's a strange trick that one.
Makes you wonder about the purpose of <regions electing one representative> systems instead of <all votes get counted in 1 national region and parties get % of seats in national government body> don't it?

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 1, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Joe Biden himself recognizes that there is a moral event horizon past which voters shouldn’t vote for a candidate, regardless of the other guy being a more accomplished rapist or génocidaire.

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1261419866667364352

Now of course Joe would say that he is neither or those things, but the principle remains.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I believe the argument is rather than voting for either pro-genocide candidate people will just stay at home or vote third party.

It is this. I'm one of those people that doesn't like either candidate's plank, but I know whose platform I prefer by a wide margin.

Don't be a single issue voter. And never not vote.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mustang posted:

Biden could do something to appeal to folks who are disgusted with Israel's genocide in Gaza but he deliberately chooses not to. That's on him.

Fact is, people like Biden would rather lose to Trump than do anything to reign in Israel's psychopathic behavior.

These are the first true Vietnam War protests in 50 years, you know nothing will happen before the majority opinion shifts same as then.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was in the military and not really tuned into current events but were there widespread college wide protests against the GWOT during the Bush era?

I don’t really remember there being any huge protests like this but it’s been so goddamn long I’ve forgotten.

Would warm my cold dead heart to find there were and they were larger but not holding out for that fantasy, lol.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I was in the military and not really tuned into current events but were there widespread college wide protests against the GWOT during the Bush era?

I don’t really remember there being any huge protests like this but it’s been so goddamn long I’ve forgotten.

Would warm my cold dead heart to find there were and they were larger but not holding out for that fantasy, lol.

I think it was more people out of college and in other countries but I do remember there being protests on my and my friends' campuses. Took a lot more effort to get organized which kids hadn't figured out yet

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/15/march-iraq-politics-war-public-opinion

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dum Cumpster posted:

I think it was more people out of college and in other countries but I do remember there being protests on my and my friends' campuses. Took a lot more effort to get organized which kids hadn't figured out yet

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/15/march-iraq-politics-war-public-opinion

Yeah I can’t say I remember the U.S. “youth” really organizing and trying to get poo poo done until Occupy Wall Street. And that was about things other than the GWOT.

But again, I wasn’t really paying close attention.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And another topic - good news out of Arizona

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1785746148927389788?t=jNCXl2ZZ9BUU1suwq3rrsA&s=19

and lol at these arguments against repealing the 1864 ban:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1785746049488863284?t=XEqRX4Z4NF7VxXSoDl68Zg&s=19

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

no, because social media was not a thing until bush jr was well into his second term. I caveat this by saying that yes, Myspace, Facebook, and forums like SA existed, but they were all for people that understood how to use the internet and were largely used for talking nerd, finding parties, and looking at noodz. Think about it: how many of you would have used you real name publicly, on the internet, for everyone to see before 2007?*

I'm sure there were protests on a small scale, but they didn't get up and spread if the cable news channels didn't talk about it, which they didn't. Widespread reporting was about how many Taliban and Iraqi soldiers our brave soldiers had killed, and how many American families had lost loved ones to brown people.

*guess what was released in 2007 that fundamentally changed this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I can’t say I remember the U.S. “youth” really organizing and trying to get poo poo done until Occupy Wall Street. And that was about things other than the GWOT.

But again, I wasn’t really paying close attention.

It wasn't widespread on college campuses, but the general public sentiment was very much against the war. Basically everybody in culture and arts had turned against it by about 2005 (small wonder Fallujah was in late 2004). In 2006, Democrats won a narrow majority in the Senate and a majority in the house, largely off of dissatisfaction with Iraq.

By that point, everyone had largely forgotten about Afghanistan and assumed it had been won.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 1, 2024