Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
there were a lot of big protests at the beginning, not limited to campuses, but that fizzled out after a couple weeks and then it just turned into occaisional acts of protest by individuals and everyone on tv making fun of the boondoggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drat arizona has a tiny rear end legislature

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is it like Texas’ that only meets part time?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

shame on an IGA posted:

drat arizona has a tiny rear end legislature

Sorry, do you mean a tiny-rear end legislature, or a tiny rear end-legislature?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Quackles posted:

Sorry, do you mean a tiny-rear end legislature, or a tiny rear end-legislature?

Por que no los dos?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Finely aged news:

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1694418993266983230

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The big difference between the gwot protests and these Gazaa is the furious anger. Protestors didn't learn anything that carried over between VN, Iraq, and Palestine, it was the US mil who did.

The fundamental factor, is Iraqi and Afghani eyewitness accounts read a lot more like South American victims of junta death squads, and a lot less like vietnamese being bombed by napalm and children in Hanoi shaking beneath trains of B52's on christmas.
Ie, the one is the much more furious than the other. As can be seen now, people react on a different magnitude when they see war machine murder, aka in the common effective shifted meaning, seeing genocide.
Que lessons learned by Pentagon.
The almost pointless Gwot era seemed a lot more about principled stands and decorum than wanting to stop the out of control murderous maniacs.

And there's the other massive touchstone with BLM and the civil rights movement preceeding both, and where organising experience doesn't have a generational gap and does carry over.
It drat well should, it's the same drums in the same hands.

Is there modifying factors by what country is actually doing what or? Not really. The protests have been made aware of something horrible and they want it to stop, stop being done in their name or with our support. Those three things are what moves the animus, and perhaps they are variations of the same thing: which side are we on

The protests in our youth could as well have been holiday parades compared to the online and the sound of the motivated now.

That is how the VN protests are like these and how the gwot ones weren't.

I don't know how to fit in this cynical thought with the rest but here goes: our soldiers, someone else's; it's all the same to those who never were or will be.
Those who never knew us, or never will

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's adams, he still means it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

¿Qué lessons learned by Pentagon?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The wrong ones still count :colbert: including outsourcing to places with weaker union support like the CIA

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Mustang posted:

So what's Biden going to do about the way these student protestors are being treated? Every new development around the genocide in Gaza just makes me want to vote for him even less. At this rate in a few months I'll be out in the street trying to convince people not to vote for genocide Joe.

Not sure he really wants a second term, he is an old man after all.

Old zionists would rather lose the presidency to Trump than give an inch on their eager support for genocide.

Not a joke, not some… loving, “my black friend,” or whatever. My wife is Jewish. Not pro-Israeli, pro-Zionism, whatever, and I’m just sitting here going…. What, you think loving TRUMP is better? Like… her ex-husband, part of the reason she got a divorce, was because he marched in Charlottesville, and she got questioned by the FBI after they got divorced… and you’re…. What?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CainFortea posted:

It hasn't actually happened. It's "confirmed" anonymously and still has to be reviewed by the white house. Or the "proposal has been discussed".

It's all just pole number games to try and get more engagement.

Presumably the White House reviewed the issue before it directed DEA and HHS to review the scheduling of marijuana in accordance with the Controlled Substances Act in October 2022.

This directive resulted in the HHS report recommending rescheduling marijuana from schedule I to schedule III, in August 2023.

DEA has been dicking around with the issue the last 18 months. DOJ, their parent agency took matters in hand and the non-anonymous spokesperson for DOJ announced that DOJ was on board with the change.

The Controlled Substances Act then requires the proposal to go through the formal agency rulemaking process in accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act (APA).

Generally DOJ will then formulate a proposed rule. The proposed rule will go back to the White House, to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) who will make sure the rule is the way the President wants it, and more importantly do a bunch of APA required work to look at alternatives, cost, paperwork cost, impact on small businesses, families, cities and towns, blahblahblah. This will be something the OIRA has already been working on, probably since 2022.

DOJ will then publish the proposed rule in the Federal Register. The public will be given 30 to 60 days to comment on the proposed rule. The public comment period could also be set longer. There may be public hearings for comments.

DOJ will then take the public comments and show that they listened and took note of the comments. They may decide the proposed rule is a bad idea and abandon it. They may ask for more public comment. They may change the proposed rule and re-publish it for further public comment. Or, after acknowledging the public comments, proceed forward.

The final rule goes back to OIRA for more paperwork and to coordinate with other agencies that might be affected by the rule.

Then the final rule is published in the Federal Register, with an effective date probably 60 days out. Some rules can be effective in 30 days, occasionally less, but this will probably be a big enough deal to require 60.

After the rule is published, but before the effective date, Congress can pass a resolution of disapproval and the president can sign it, killing the rule. If the president doesn't sign the resolution of disapproval, but Congress can override the veto, the rule dies. (This has happened once. With this Congress it won't happen in this case.) Otherwise the rule comes into effect.

Even then, it's not Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Weed time. Now it has to be regulated by the FDA (part of HHS, so they're likely working on it already)
Also, there is previous congressional action prohibiting using federal money to dick around with state approved marijuana operations, which may moot or blunt the potential effects/slowdown regarding the FDA implementing their regulations.

So no, not anonymous, and no, no "proposal has been discussed" in the nihilistic scare quotes sense. And who cares if it's "poll numbers" or listening to your constituents if good things are going to happen?

And also as facialimpediment noted, all this "proposed rule, public comment, OIRA, final rule, congress, effective date, "Why can't Biden wave his magic wand"" whining is exactly why Trump was so thankfully less effective than he could have been if he understood how the government worked.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US was a loving common chant in a specific moment of pro-Trump voters, and yet… how did we get here?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Article says it was an infection but, uh, another Boeing whistleblower is dead. :tinfoil:
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/whistleblower-josh-dean-of-boeing-supplier-spirit-aerosystems-has-died/

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I’m sorry, I’m usually a lurker of this thread. I’ve posted around here at various moments, but like… on multiple levels - I sit here, my wife is an immigrant to this country, she’s Jewish, and we have all seen Trump’s stated values, what he plans to do with his candidacy… and yeah, Biden has a fuckload of problems. But *gestures vaguely* what the gently caress is wrong with these people who say they choose THIS? Our system SUCKS, it needs to be better, but guess what, facts are facts, and with our lovely system you choose one or the other.

I’m sorry if you feel like you want to vote one less because of this lovely thing that is truly horrific, but look at this thing that will harm a FUCKLOAD MORE PEOPLE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY AND IN THE SAME loving COUNTRY YOURE BEMOANING lovely THINGS HAPPENING IN.

I need to stop interneting for tonight. I’m sorry. But what the fuuuuuuuck

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

windshipper posted:

JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US was a loving common chant in a specific moment of pro-Trump voters, and yet… how did we get here?

White nationalists never miss a chance to pit two groups against one another?

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

White nationalists never miss a chance to pit two groups against one another?

I just sit here, mouth agape, for so many reasons, like…. Biden deserves all the loving criticism for his handling of this whole shitshow.

But you cannot, in good conscience, sit there and think Trump is better. And yes - it loving sucks - but the way our system is currently set up, you pick one or the other. You hold your nose, you puke in the rhododendrons afterwards, but that’s your choice.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

I swear to Christ, Muhammad, Allah, God, Elijah, and Moses, I will have issues if anyone comes to deport my wife or has issues with my family. And I know I’m not the only one who participates here who would start having family issues, personal issues, health issues, whatever given a Trump presidency. I know we have trans, gay, etc members here. People who state they won’t vote Biden are wishcasting at this point if they think something better will happen in the next six months.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

windshipper posted:

I just sit here, mouth agape, for so many reasons, like…. Biden deserves all the loving criticism for his handling of this whole shitshow.

But you cannot, in good conscience, sit there and think Trump is better. And yes - it loving sucks - but the way our system is currently set up, you pick one or the other. You hold your nose, you puke in the rhododendrons afterwards, but that’s your choice.

We're six months to the election, which means the armchair leftist doomscrollers are entering their most vocal "better things aren't possible" phase. Better in their minds to let the country burn entirely than to consider incremental progress to still be progress because of one specific sticking point that's not being addressed (while many others are, and the incumbent administration is straight up not actively building policies that disenfranchise and, in some cases, lead directly to higher mortalities among various sorts of minority groups).

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

My wife’s ex-husband once seriously tried to argue with her that they should have a child - she should have another woman’s fertilized egg (his sperm) implanted into her and she should carry it to term. And that would be their child.

I could go on with some of the poo poo she has told me.

You want THAT running the country?

When people say Trump is the uninhibited Id, they’re not joking.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

And again, I swear to Christ, Allah, Muhammad, Elijah, and Moses if you take this as some anti-Palestinian poo poo, you haven’t read a word I mean. Did the “Muslim ban,” mean nothing to you? And you thinkTRUMP would be BETTER?

I’m out. Good night.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Sounds dire. This Biden guy should probably do something about that.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Mustang posted:

Sounds flippant. Like you have no idea what to say when you get called out.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Mustang posted:

Congrats, if you still live in WA - same as me - you have the luxury of feeling this way. You know he will win this state anyways. It kinda feels like a forgone conclusion, huh?

Now imagine you’re back in Florida.

Edit: I was trying so hard, so, so very hard, to not say this, but I am anyways and will probably at least eat a prob for it. YOLO.

You unempathetic, near sighted, gooning, piece of poo poo. You can’t see past your own momentary values to see how the world gets affected by your choices. I don’t care that you served or even if you got deployed, but think for a loving second how who is president makes differences in the world - and our country - even if it involves poo poo choices.

Either that, or you’re just trolling which…. Other than pissing off some stranger, what did you really do here? That’s also pretty sad, bro.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 2, 2024

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
President Biden still hasn't gotten me my student loan forgiveness so I'm voting for RFKjr

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Lmao called out?

I vote Democrat in every single election, whether general, midterm or special. Democrats couldnt ask for a more loyal voter. Certainly more dependable than the squishy moderates that only show up to general elections but loving love them some genocide.

It's on Biden to convince people he deserves a second term and he doesnt seem to be trying very hard.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

President Biden still hasn't gotten me my student loan forgiveness so I'm voting for RFKjr

Gl, hf

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

FWIW, as little as it means for GiP cred, I’m 6 years union firefighter, 12 years experience total. Gotta do my 20 for a good union retirement. GiP cred is like gold stars. Nobody cares.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Mustang posted:

It's on Biden to convince people he deserves a second term.

Yes but also a very strong no and even stronger have you seen the other guy?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mustang posted:

Lmao called out?

I vote Democrat in every single election, whether general, midterm or special. Democrats couldnt ask for a more loyal voter. Certainly more dependable than the squishy moderates that only show up to general elections but loving love them some genocide.

It's on Biden to convince people he deserves a second term and he doesnt seem to be trying very hard.

There are two wars going on, along with a series of unprecedented DoJ investigations, with a split congress and conservative supreme court. I'm not sure what your expectations for "proving you want a second term" are but the whole American experiment is on the verge of running off the rails and falling into an unrecoverable nose dive, if we're not already there.

Biden is doing a pretty drat good job, all things considered. Unfortunately its a lot easier for the Republicans to break up the nation than it is for the Dems to try and put it back together.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If Biden is concerned he's losing voters because he's all onboard with genocide then he should probably do something about that. He could make different choices, but he's deciding not to.

"gently caress you, gently caress your values, vote for me anyway".

Thanks, Joe.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mustang posted:

This is mostly where I'm at.

As someone who's for years been reluctantly defending Biden and pushing back on doomers over slights manufactured in their echo chambers (not saying all criticism of Biden is this, but too much I see online is), it's beyond frustrating that the administration has chosen a response to Israel's genocide that is not only morally indefensible, but an utterly needless needle in the eye of the progressive section of its base. I'm still planning to vote for him in November, but I can also understand why some may believe they can't conscience it. Accusatory demands of "what, do you think Trump would be better for Palestine?!" is not the right way to approach these people and it's gross to lump those traumatized watching Israel's crimes in with the doomers who gin up outrage over abject bullshit.

The admin and others seem to think things will blow over by election day and the violent repression of students and faculty opposing genocide won't figure significantly into votes. That may be the case. On the other hand, Bibi and the GOP look eager to keep the wound open and festering, with too many Democratic electeds and others eagerly dancing to their tune.

e: a good thread making a similar point. Shame we didn't have Bluesky embeds yet.
https://bsky.app/profile/emily.gorcen.ski/post/3kri6ygtv3t2y

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 2, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know who’s a nationally known political figure with a history of handling crises and a Nobel Peace Price to his name?

That’s right: Jimmy Carter. Pull him out of hospice and nominate him in Chicago.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

one time i wrote a bunch of words why biden has my vote and they're still valid so i'm just gonna quote myself

Kith posted:

My take on the 2024 Election is as follows:

Biden has done a lot of really good poo poo. Economy policies, student loan debt forgiveness, environmental stuff, supporting the auto workers' union, actually following through with his promise to help out the locomotive workers after he broke their strike because the country would fall apart if he didn't, and a lot of other things that I can't think of off of the top of my head. Biden is also, at this very moment, enabling the genocide of Palestinians by sending arms shipments to Israel. In a sane world, this would disqualify him from my vote, because I don't give a gently caress about how many nice things he's given me, my closest friends' families have been slaughtered and he's actively supporting that.

But this is not a sane world.

I pulled the lever for the Green Party in 2020 because I couldn't bring myself to vote for a man that I believe to be a sexual predator. But January 6th was a wake-up call: the Alt-Right weren't shitposters on /pol/ or bellowing manchildren in yellow shirts anymore, they were a bloodthirsty crowd in our nation's capitol and they very nearly succeeded in getting the blood that they craved. A Trump presidency would instill in them a new boldness that we are not likely to survive, to say nothing of the policies he promises that would bring ruin to us and beyond.

In the end, it's a modern spin on the classic Trolley Problem:
  • On one hand, pulling the Biden lever allows the trolley operator to continue barreling through a bunch of innocent brown people who are inconveniencing Israel by existing, and the trolley operator might even pull the brake if the passengers complain loudly enough about the cries of the dying.

• On the other hand, doing anything else runs the risk of bringing back the old trolley operator that promised to equip the trolley with fully automatic weapons that fire wildly in every direction, more efficiently slaughtering innocent brown people and also putting the passengers (myself and everyone I care about included) in immediate and serious danger. Additionally, the old trolley operator does not believe in brakes, and has promised to stomp on the accelerator at every available opportunity until the trolley explodes, killing everyone.

I do not like Biden. I hate him, in fact. However, I will vote for Biden because it's the only chance we have.

I wish I had any other choice.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Cugel the Clever posted:

e: a good thread making a similar point. Shame we didn't have Bluesky embeds yet.
https://bsky.app/profile/emily.gorcen.ski/post/3kri6ygtv3t2y

You need to be logged in to see this thread, so I'll copy and paste it.

That blusky skeet posted:

Since Liberals political understanding is quite infantile, let me try to use the “here comes the airplane open the hangar” approach:

If you want Trump to not win, then you should want Biden to get more votes.

If people say they won’t vote for Biden, then Biden should try doing popular things.

You know how they do polls? Yeah polls are a way candidates get feedback on their campaign.

But — and I know this might be a shocker — there is more than one way to express an opinion about a campaign!

So people who say, “I’m not voting for Biden” are saying “he needs to do better” or alternatively, “in the things that matter most to me, his policies are not substantially better than Trump’s”

That should be a loving wakeup call.

And, finally: every person votes for their own interests at the end of the day.

I vote or not vote based on my own interests, not yours. And acting like a jackass in my mentions doesn’t make me want to care about your interests.

Shockingly “berate people to get them on your side” is ineffective!

Voting is literally the weakest tool in my political change toolbox. There are hundreds of things i can and do do to mobilize political change more powerful than voting.

That said, I have to admit that skeet thread lost me when they said that a Biden administration is not significantly different than a Trump one, and I don't think I can take this person's perspective on politics seriously.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

They weren't saying that about themselves, they were saying that about people who aren't voting for Biden.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Trump and his advisors have laid out their plans and made them very clear. Those plans are literally to crush anyone not white, male, rich, that knows them. The first term was a test and they have only learned they didn't go hard enough. We're only 4 years removed from Trump, who are these people going "It wasn't that bad no really same as Biden"?? There is no moderating influence or adult presence like was hoped in the last Trump administration. The extremists have won, thats it.

This poo poo is said out loud, their positions are laid out on paper. There is no surprise here we loving know what they want to do and all of it is terrible.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 2, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anyone who thinks that "trying to slow down the degeneration of basic rights for American citizens and fumbling on some things" and "actively aiming to turn the country into an evangelical ethnostate" are the same political ballpark -- hell, the same loving sport -- should get their internet privileges restricted to a 1200 baud modem and an 80x24 text-only terminal from 1975.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Joe Biden promised to be a unifying figure.

https://twitter.com/MavenNavarro1/status/1785785576571994299

Promise Kept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Well, poo poo. Horseshoe theory is real.