Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a new hobby, which is finding decent electronics on aliexpress and doing stuff with them. it's a fun game! is it a real manufacturer or a dropship store? who knows, try it and find out! I almost bought some Tuozhanteng Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. stuff from a drop shipper, but I found their real store at the last minute.

for my first review, I got some OPEN-SMART modules:

Verdict: the Arduino clone works like you'd expect. the screens are nice! it took me a little while to figure out how to configure MCUFRIEND to work with them, but they work quite well. the weird thing is, when the larger of the two LCD modules is installed to the OPEN-SMART arduino specifically, I can't upload any sketches. the smaller screen doesn't have this issue. it works fine otherwise.

So I'm gonna say that's 9 out of 10 for the OPEN-SMART ecosystem so far. I'm eyeing their Rich Shield and the little wireless game controller.

My other review is the RGBDuino (pic intentionally omitted). An Arduino Uno clone with RGB LEDs. Verdict: The LEDs are meant for strip lighting and they're way, way too bright. also, the header sockets are surface mount, which makes them really fragile - I managed to tear them off and had to re-solder them. it's more of a toy than a serious board.

I think I will be buying something from TZT next & will report back! have a lovely YOSPOS day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I can’t believe I spelled “buying” wrong

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Your future posts should include links to the stuff you're buiying smdh

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah my B I was kinda in a rush to get that OP out before dinner

OPEN-SMART stuff:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802349869286.html - Arduino compatible board
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832562730422.html - 2.8" TFT shield
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832610878826.html - 2.2" TFT shield

RGBDuino:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804464964790.html

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I also bought a couple of ESP32 dev boards but I haven't done much with them so I don't have anything to say. except that I think the LOLIN series of boards and their tiny tiny shields are pretty cute

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802958877264.html

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Nice. don't rush your threads though. take your time to draft good threads in YOSPOS, please

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Silver Alicorn posted:

thats funny, everyone else can easily believe you did that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SpaceAceJase posted:

Nice. don't rush your threads though. take your time to draft good threads in YOSPOS, please

im gonna have to disagree. some of the best threads in the pos were created at the last minute

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fart simpson posted:

im gonna have to disagree. some of the best threads in the pos were created at the last minute
lomarf

051324_3
May 13, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 13, 2024

051324_3
May 13, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 13, 2024

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

just throw in some “anroid” and “chome” in a follow up post so people think it’s intentional

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

don’t worry, someone fixed the thread title

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

only thing i've ever bought on aliexpress was a famicom themed 8bitdo ultimate controller which came with all the stuff 8bitdo advertised it coming with, but which i'm still uncertain if it's a knock off or not. works great though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

there’s a store that claims to be the official 8bitdo store. its 4 years old so maybe it’s real, maybe not. that’s the fun of AliExpress

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they do link to one on their website

it took some searching but i did manage to find the actual Fiio store when getting a little bluetooth dac so i can have actual wired headphones for my iphone

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i bought some fake yeezys from aliexpress once and theyre believable enough that im not entirely convinced theyre not just real yeezys that fell off a truck

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hbag posted:

i bought some fake yeezys from aliexpress once and theyre believable enough that im not entirely convinced theyre not just real yeezys that fell off a truck

the higher quality clothing/purse/sneaker bootleggers will poach employees from the real brand factories and in the case of sneakers have occasionally stolen or "borrowed" and copied legit molds for soles

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol cool so i essentially got "real" yeezy 350s for like 60 bucks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im super bad with electronics and it makes me depressed because it seems like a really cool thing to be able to do. But its one of those subjects that just slide off my brain, idk why

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex posted:

the higher quality clothing/purse/sneaker bootleggers will poach employees from the real brand factories and in the case of sneakers have occasionally stolen or "borrowed" and copied legit molds for soles

Yeah I have compared real Yeezys and the Alix 'Good' knockoffs and aside from maybe slight differences in stitching and sole rubber softness they are exactly alike.

Still won't wear them now since Ye went full rear end in a top hat.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

rotor posted:

im super bad with electronics and it makes me depressed because it seems like a really cool thing to be able to do. But its one of those subjects that just slide off my brain, idk why

I took a class 8 years ago and was doing cool stuff like using an op amp and a photoresistor to control a light. I forgot it all though and my soldering is garbage now too

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

rotor posted:

build a keyboard imo, I learned some basic soldering skills and now I'm considering some other projects

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

I took a class 8 years ago and was doing cool stuff like using an op amp and a photoresistor to control a light. I forgot it all though and my soldering is garbage now too

all the classes i found here are for like electricians, did you do an online thing or ?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

death cob for cutie posted:

build a keyboard imo, I learned some basic soldering skills and now I'm considering some other projects

i can solder ok, its the volts and the ohms and poo poo that i always gently caress up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
There was a diagram that posted how all that works, but i can't share it any more lest i eat a sixer

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

There was a diagram that posted how all that works, but i can't share it any more lest i eat a sixer

anime characters teaching electrical wiring?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and with that, you have sufficient info to google this.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil
I got a cheap microscope and a few surface mount practice kits and now I'm finally decent at doing tiny tiny SMD stuff

Used the skills to build a few copies of the PicoCart64, a pi pico based N64 flash cart. Was very fun to flash an image to it and see FlappyBird running on my N64

I want to find one of those CRT television board kits for a decent deal on Ali, i'm still hunting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah. I got a USB microscope so I could replace the DSP chip in a nice Yamaha i got for cheap. You've inspired me and imma try to clean the bench off this week. i'll make a lil' video

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hbag posted:

lol cool so i essentially got "real" yeezy 350s for like 60 bucks

I mean the materials won't be as good or durable but real 350s are made of 2 couch cushion offcuts and some styrofoam wrapped in dodgeball material so the difference probably won't be startling

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

rotor posted:

all the classes i found here are for like electricians, did you do an online thing or ?

I went to a local vocational school that had a program in Windows & Linux administration, network administration and premises cabling, and electronics. the school has since ceased the program

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
i bought a keyboard off of aliexpress last year, $200+ level quality for <$90 price shipped, would aliexpress again

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have never bought anything off aliexpress before. I’ve had a project in the back of my mind for ages and i could probably source all of the parts from there. i want to make a programmable photo development machine with temperature controlled chemical reservoirs that pumps the various chems in and out on a timer. i would need a 3d printer too. seems like it might be too complex for a first project but not impossible idk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

yeezies are cheaply made garbage in the first place

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i bought a reverse camera for my mom’s car on AliExpress and the image was inverted and they just said :shrug:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i mean they did say it was a reverse camera

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hbag posted:

i mean they did say it was a reverse camera

they gotcha there AP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer