Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

STEAM // DISCORD

quote:

RABBIT & STEEL is a co-op action "raiding" roguelike focused around fighting challenging bosses alongside your rabbit-eared friends. Fight foes, gather loot, build your character, and work together to overcome obstacles on your way to the Moonlit Pinnacle.

Combat is deliberately similar to tab-target MMORPGs, being based around global cooldowns, effective skill usage, gear effects, and resolving boss mechanics through teamwork.

This isn't an MMO, though; it's a roguelike!

So normally I'd take more from the steam page for people who don't want to click off the thread to find out more, however mino put in some work to make a good presentation including a pretty dang good gif showing various multiplayer mechanics and a good trailer for the release. So I suggest that you watch those instead of me waffling on more here.

You back? Cool.

So about a year ago I had to quit raiding in FFXIV, and this was a crew of people I'd played with since stormblood and we'd done 3 ultimates and working on a 4th when my health caught upto me. Bad poo poo happens IRL and this ain't about me.

Its about a game that lets me experience the highs and lows of that experience in a way that is much friendlier to drop in/out formats.
Its about a fun game involving rabbits beating the ever loving levitation discs out of mice knights.
Its about a hilarious game where you accidentally blast your team-mate with an aoe because you were too busy trying to get maximum uptime.
Its about a random game where some runs bless you with loot, turning one of your skills into a near zero second cooldown as you flood the arena with fairies.
Its about a cute game where you can give the shopkeep headpats.
And yes, it is a game which is 100% a homage to FFXIV. Mino isn't shy about that. They clearly adore the game and made this one out of that pure love.

I rarely engage in this much arrogance, but I can genuinely flash my Triple Legend By The Way card here and tell you this game is amazing, has teeth, feels great to get good at and is just a joy with friends.

But the real surprise? Its also loving fantastic solo. Then again that's hardly a surprise considering mino's last game; Maiden and Spell, which while I've not played I've had people tell me is also fantastic.

It is a darling love letter to mmo mechanics without the weight those games can have, with a sharp four skill system you don't feel the keyboard dancing madness of some games or the listless engagement of others. Stacks, spreads, cones. Dodges, inside the boss, out. Follow blue, follow green, stack on the boss. Use your invulnerability to dodge the undodgeable. Learn how new classes play and be delighted when you go "oh wow, they really are just like FFXIV huh?" Find the right set of items and loving ascend as you gain infinite uptime of your strongest buff and become so laser focused on damage that your miss your teammates sniping you with mechanics.

{Oops!}

Also its cute. Did I mention that?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Serious Rabbit Time;
Playlist of the World First Lunar Difficulty Clear Race vods If you want to see how real fuckin' mean this game gets.

Silly Steel Time;
Tassha now ruin your run!
https://cohost.org/ItsMeLilyV/post/5934579-rabbit-steel-is-re
One of the steam guides is for Ordained Stillness and it loving kills me.
https://twitter.com/NotGyroscop/status/1790824223600165177
https://twitter.com/xerbatt/status/1790882752612741286
https://x.com/redi_rkgk/status/1791631418537222155
https://x.com/Carlioo41/status/1792680139316498840
https://x.com/DatBoopy/status/1794419279225552991?t=m1X-Liimv6K6Wvt1HvHFbA&s=19
https://twitter.com/nanobuilder/status/1793634124236050467
https://x.com/BunnyMicrowave/status/1795050422459056406

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 27, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a note so people dont make the mistake i did - you can't save your game, even in single player. if you exit to title screen you gotta start over.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Countblanc posted:

a note so people dont make the mistake i did - you can't save your game, even in single player. if you exit to title screen you gotta start over.

Dang I never even thought about that.

Its worth saying as well, Mino is a pretty responsive dev, if a busy one at the moment! The discord has a suggestions tab so feel free to drop any ideas that come to mind.

Should you be a irregular regular in the discords, Catgirl Bargains or Please Calm Down, we have threads there if you're looking for people.

Another thing; The game has a demo but it is tougher solo then the release version. So if you like what you see but you'd rather try before you buy, keep that in mind.

Also make sure you try keyboard and mouse, with and without mouse movement, and a gamepad!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 16, 2024

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Really enjoying this game. Put FFXIV down after I finished Endwalker and don't see myself going back to it any time soon but love all the familiarity in mechanics and class design. Had a lot of fun even just playing in a duo with a friend, though he's never done any sort of MMO raiding so there was definitely some frantic "Stack on me. On me. Get Over To Me. STAND IN THE loving CIRCLE!!" going on as we flailed our way through our first run. I've also just started poking at it solo and really enjoying how it heightens the already present shmup feel. Druid has been my favourite of the classes I've tried so far, I think.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Mode 7 posted:

Really enjoying this game. Put FFXIV down after I finished Endwalker and don't see myself going back to it any time soon but love all the familiarity in mechanics and class design. Had a lot of fun even just playing in a duo with a friend, though he's never done any sort of MMO raiding so there was definitely some frantic "Stack on me. On me. Get Over To Me. STAND IN THE loving CIRCLE!!" going on as we flailed our way through our first run. I've also just started poking at it solo and really enjoying how it heightens the already present shmup feel. Druid has been my favourite of the classes I've tried so far, I think.

I was in a very similar boat: I finished Endwalker and used that as a point to not only stop playing FFXIV, but stop playing MMOs altogether since they weren't a good fit for me. However, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and with Dawntrail coming up, I was getting that MMO itch again and was worried I'd fall back into it. Thank god for this game though: it gives me everything I want out of MMOs (raids with complex mechanics, unique classes, build-changing loot) but better and with none of the cruft (including people, as it is great solo). Sorry Dawntrail!

I played the demo for this back at MAGFest and have been following it since: I'm happy that it looks like the game is being very well received!

Now, back to getting my butt kicked on hard mode as the archer!

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 16, 2024

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Game's good, but if you want to play Hard with other people, make a premade. This game's making me learn all over again that PF pubbies are very unreliable on content you can't sleepwalk through. Anyways, good game, would make a special spam 10th rabbit build again.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The only serious raiding I ever did was for Lost Ark and this got me wanting to try out that style of gameplay again, but I found myself getting stymied by the demo: first by technical issues and the second time by difficulty. I'm glad to hear that apparently the demo was harder than the real thing when it comes to solo play, but I am still wishing that I had a regular group to try this out with before I take the plunge.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 17, 2024

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Can you match with pubbies? Last game I bought I got burned when it was Steam friends only (Raft) and no one played with me :(

Edit: The demo seems to have public multiplayer, though only one lobby that's password protected. Gonna play solo and report back, not played FFIV so I'll see if it's my jam or not.

Desdinova fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 17, 2024

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Desdinova posted:

Can you match with pubbies? Last game I bought I got burned when it was Steam friends only (Raft) and no one played with me :(

Edit: The demo seems to have public multiplayer, though only one lobby that's password protected. Gonna play solo and report back, not played FFIV so I'll see if it's my jam or not.

Its lobby based, friends can join via steam profile stuff or you can search for lobbies ingame (which can have PW or not)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I really like this game even though I'm bad and can't get through Hard on my own. And my group is also bad so we can't get through Hard together. I have Lunar unlocked for some reason and tried it for a bit and I couldn't even get past the "tutorial", haha.

Book of Cheats is the best item in this game if you have a spammable special and it's not even close.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Book of cheats is definitely one of the better items in the game.
Some of the lunar mode fights feel impossible on certain characters in solo, most of the multi target fights feel impossible on say assassin without a bunch of extra aoe damage loot.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Genuinely it's just a super fun game. Raid mechanics + co-op bullet hell is such a natural union and I'm so glad it's here.

Just had a great build with Assassin. I had the item that adds burn to special + the special with higher backstab %, the defensive that supercharges my special, the item that adds +150% to special every 2 defensives, and probably some other stuff I forgot about.

At any rate I was pulling off 6k backstabs, with an accompanying 6k burn. Fun stuff!

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
posting just to say that this game is extremely good

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Why is cute bunny game so hard.

This is a combination of two things I enjoy and therefore I enjoy it.

But why so hard.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Game looks cool, but they should be foxes if it's a coop raiding game.

:dadjoke:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Game's a lot of fun though I'm unsure about some of the balance, defender feels truly horrible in a way none of the other loot dependent classes do, I'm not sure what loot high roll you could even hit that'd make them good?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Einwand posted:

Game's a lot of fun though I'm unsure about some of the balance, defender feels truly horrible in a way none of the other loot dependent classes do, I'm not sure what loot high roll you could even hit that'd make them good?

Yellow gem special (the one that makes your special have a 50% chance to give itself another charge on use), book of cheats, anything that increases luck. Defender is one of those classes that can do REALLY funny book of cheats stuff. As an additional plus you just laugh at bullets since you're constantly spamming bullet deletion aoes around you.

Edit: Also I came here to say knockbacks suck rear end as a mechanic, just so hard to manage properly.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 18, 2024

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Einwand posted:

Asked a friend of mine who was playing last night;

quote:

Yeah, defensive CD down and buffs to that are great and can make your party just laugh at mechanics.
Otherwise you can do fun stuff with things that buff your special or give you more invuln sources.
On the funny defender run I did with y'all I had reduced defensive CD, bigger defensive with more invuln as well as special giving invuln and bullet deletion.
Buffing the secondary isn't awful either as you can get guaranteed charges on it with the primary and also feeds the special refresh.
It's main advantage is that it's got a decent stable rotation without needing RNG procs and a great defensive in co-op.
But it underperforms solo because the defensive is just categorically worse than other classes if there's noone else to give the invuln to.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

It's primary is a really good multihits too, both runs I played it I got flat damage and made it hit 5x, making it stronger than my secondary even charged

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://x.com/rabbitandsteel/status/1792227754919735345

:toot: 100k rabbits.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well I've beaten all 5 primary zones once on lunar, this is not even close to being able to clear lunar of course but good lord. I don't think I actually know how to do lunar dragon still, I did that one when I was still just abusing assassin vanish spam.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://x.com/Carlioo41/status/1792680139316498840

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Won a solo lunar run, bruiser is so good. Weirdass run that had a bow that reset when gaining a buff + 40% haste secondary as my first two loot items and then blackhole charm so 40% of my punches just triggered a stupid loot cascade.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah bruiser feels amazing to me just has so many tools and never has to slow down if you manage your buff properly, definitely the class I pick if I'm with a group that wants a specific clear to unlock characters or something.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tasha is so much fun I love her.

Damone
May 3, 2009
I got buns of steel.

Game's a lot of fun and unsurprisingly more fun with a couple of friends as you figure out the patterns on the different difficulties. The ancient rabbit is my favorite so far.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
game is fun. I find myself gravitating to classes that Have Issues, though, in the form of assassin and sniper. Sniper gets hung out to dry if you don't get primary bonus stuff, and has the issue of also being slow as poo poo. Assassin DPS just surprisingly is bad, although you can defense through everything.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
This game is great! I'm surprised it's doing so well too, but good for mino_dev.

And bruiser's my favorite as well, her playstyle is just so much fun. I've taken a liking to the defender though, they did a great job making her feel tanky despite having the same HP as everyone else. Plus her low base dps is fairly easy to fix with items/gems.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Had a bit of an odd interaction recently: Old Bonnet, which sets your single hit ability damage to 250, doesn't work on Spellblade Bunny's abilities when they aren't buffed. Which I guess kinda makes sense, the tooltip does list them as being (x2), but they are functionally single hit abilities at that point so I though it would apply.

No worries though, I got the upgrade which makes my special a single hit shot multiplied by the amount of darkflame you've got, and that definitely applies. I was dealing almost 2.5k damage per special, or 5k on a crit.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i picked this up yesterday, and while i haven't played it co-op yet, the single player feels great. nothing feels unfair and it's really cool to see my character's damage numbers explode once i get a few synergies going.

i need to stop playing assassin rabbit though, it's the one i click with most so far, but boy do i ever get way too greedy with trying to sneak in a backstab :v:

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

If you luck into the shop upgrade that lets you backstab without breaking vanish then greeding won't be a problem. :v:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I don’t know what it is about them but the double bosses give me more trouble finding myself not sure where to stand in the middle of a pattern.

Fortunate that they tend to evaporate from doubled dps

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So what's everyone's favorite rabbit?

I think mine is Heavyblade Rabbit. Been playing a ton of co-op and let me tell you, when your whole team is dead it's really, really handy to have 3 individual charges of invulnerability between your special and defensive. :v:

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Bruiser rabbit for similar reasons with two stacks of defensive.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Ancient feels really breezy to play because with the right upgrades you barely have to worry about optimizing your positioning or rotation to do damage. You just stick your pet on the enemy, use your secondary to move it if the enemy moves, hold down your primary, and use your special on cooldown (or get the emerald one that autofires). 90% of your damage doesn't care about where you are, so you can focus on dodging attacks.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I enjoy the ancient rabbit too because there are cute animals involved.

My second favorite would probably be druid rabbit because the butterfly swarm is fun. I saw someone get the repeat item and the 30 second long special and giant swarms of those large butterflies are very strong.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Classes I like:
Spellsword - baseline it's pretty good and seems to work with a lot of different kinds of loot pretty well and most of its upgrades do something.
Bruiser - extremely strong baseline, almost every upgrade is good and two charges of the defensive lets you get away with a lot of errors that you or someone else makes and not get punished for it.
Sniper - I just like the secondary/special loop, the primary sucks.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Arzaac posted:

So what's everyone's favorite rabbit?

I think mine is Heavyblade Rabbit. Been playing a ton of co-op and let me tell you, when your whole team is dead it's really, really handy to have 3 individual charges of invulnerability between your special and defensive. :v:

Yes.

But on a serious note while I'm still on a class tour I genuinely like what guardian is putting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Dancer can do some stupid things with recharging the special, but I really enjoy stacking defensive ability items alongside upgrades for more party buffs. The secondary upgrade that refreshes your defensive ability is nuts. I feel more competent saving a teammate from a bad position than the spear rabbit.