Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want to see Nossan, Doc, Jin, and J on a team all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Raizor posted:

There's usually a little more breathing room, and OOO especially managed to feel less formulaic in how it applied its powerups around this point.

Wizard is kind of a parade of powerups because of how his work, I guess. He started with four forms and has gotten like six more in the time it took W to get two and Fourze to get four. They seem to be setting up for some repercussions to how much power he's got though so this might ultimately pan out for the better once everyone's got their superforms and the show has to rely on its actual plot to keep it interesting.
One thing I liked in W is that W Xtreme wasn't an automatic win button and that he still made use of his 9 base forms after achieving it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W was really good about each form having a use. Xtreme was pretty win button at times but each of his existing forms continued to be useful and used fairly regularly.

Honestly W kind of ruined me on form changes in every successive series. It did a great job with making everything it had feel distinctive and unique while OOOs, Fourze and Wizard all feel quantity over quality.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ImpAtom posted:

W was really good about each form having a use. Xtreme was pretty win button at times but each of his existing forms continued to be useful and used fairly regularly.

Honestly W kind of ruined me on form changes in every successive series. It did a great job with making everything it had feel distinctive and unique while OOOs, Fourze and Wizard all feel quantity over quality.
At least with OOOs though, Eiji was kind of restricted to which arbitrary medals he happened to have at the time. From a story telling perspective at least that made sense. In Fourze he had like 40 switches and no real rhyme or reason to using them.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Box of Bunnies posted:

Nobuharu is the best Ranger ever :allears:

I kinda thought I'd dislike Kyoryuger, but I can't hate a show that has a character like him.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

oh god that episode was loving amazing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I've been watching Kamen Rider Double recently and I had a question regarding the costume designs of the MOTW. Do they get any better throughout the series because I'm at episode 8 right now and the design of Double is fantastic but none of the creatures he has fought look all that spectacular in motion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

So I've been watching Kamen Rider Double recently and I had a question regarding the costume designs of the MOTW. Do they get any better throughout the series because I'm at episode 8 right now and the design of Double is fantastic but none of the creatures he has fought look all that spectacular in motion.

Yeah, there are some excellent MotWs later on and guys like Nazca and Weather both look great and are reoccurring.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Quite frankly I don't know how anyone could think of T-Rex as anything less than a modern marvel of suit design in Tokusatsu Entertainment.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Raizor posted:

Quite frankly I don't know how anyone could think of T-Rex as anything less than a modern marvel of suit design in Tokusatsu Entertainment.

I'm hoping for two guys in a suit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Raizor posted:

The W T-Rex? Seemed kind of samey to me, what did you like about him?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Cliff Racer posted:

What is there to hate about a massive TRex head chasing around Shotaro like Pacman?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

What is there to hate about a massive TRex head chasing around Shotaro like Pacman?
T-Rex may have been goofy looking but the sky battle in the second episode sold me on the show harder than any first-arc battle in a ranger or rider series yet.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
^ The Legend War begs to differ. Now that is how you open a show.

Cliff Racer posted:

I think he was joking. W's MOTW designs were definitely weak, as were Gokaiger's and Gekiranger's (with two or three exceptions).
Though honestly, I don't expect them to put that much effort into costumes they can't make action figures out of.
I think it would be cool to see a Sentai series, maybe the 50th anniversary, where the MOTW were evil versions of the previous Reds. That could be fun.
Also, next week's Kyoryuger looks legit badass. I'm glad Torin is distinguishing himself from the majority of Sentai mentors by being not only a competent fighter, but possibly even stronger than the Rangers.
But I really do hope that this intrigue doesn't end next episode. We could use a good "evil ranger" saga.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I liked Double's and Gokaiger's monster suits a lot. OOOs had some good ones too, but I'm lukewarm on Fourze's and Wizards. Gobuster's were too same-y and they reused suits a lot. Kyoryuger's so far have been pretty good, I thought.

For those of you who don't like the ones in Double, which series' monster suits do you like?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think he was joking. W's MOTW designs were definitely weak, as were Gokaiger's and Gekiranger's (with two or three exceptions).
Though honestly, I don't expect them to put that much effort into costumes they can't make action figures out of.
I think it would be cool to see a Sentai series, maybe the 50th anniversary, where the MOTW were evil versions of the previous Reds. That could be fun.
Also, next week's Kyoryuger looks legit badass. I'm glad Torin is distinguishing himself from the majority of Sentai mentors by being not only a competent fighter, but possibly even stronger than the Rangers.
But I really do hope that this intrigue doesn't end next episode. We could use a good "evil ranger" saga.

Abarekiller is amazing and the fact that most english speaking toku fans haven't seen Abaranger makes me extremely sad.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

poo poo, how did I forget that? Alright, fine, but midair glider battle against a scrap metal t-Rex in the second episode is still a strong second!

I liked a lot of W's MOTWs, but OOOs had a lot of seriously weird ones due to the human faces on them. The first Yummy in particular was very odd looking. But the cast more than made up for that weakness.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've generally liked the designs for the MOTWs in Kyoryu so far. I especially liked the jail-themed one, since he had a lot of cool little details.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Picking up Wizard again was worth it just to see Phoenix get Rider-kicked into the sun. :stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk8xkwN5SU4

I AM ROBO-KNIGHT, PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk8xkwN5SU4

I AM ROBO-KNIGHT, PROTECTOR OF THE ENVIRONMENT.

Oh god, have you seen the most recent episode? They went full robot with Roboknight. You never go full robot. Some of his lines are laughably bad and make him sound incredibly dumb for a robot. And yet he is still more believable and has more range than Troy/Megaforce Red and his monotonous sameface.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh god, have you seen the most recent episode? They went full robot with Roboknight. You never go full robot. Some of his lines are laughably bad and make him sound incredibly dumb for a robot. And yet he is still more believable and has more range than Troy/Megaforce Red and his monotonous sameface.

Troy being more robotic than the actual loving robot is a thing of beauty, for sure.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

Troy being more robotic than the actual loving robot is a thing of beauty, for sure.
He's also a little bit special. For those that haven't seen it, he clearly sees the following scene in his dreams: Roboknight saying 'Attack!' followed by the Megaforce rangers running past him to, well, attack.

Seconds later, when asked if Roboknight is fighting on their side in the dreams, he says he 'can't be sure.'

And Roboknight is supposed to be the one who doesn't understand how the world works.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Watching this and Samurai is depressing, because they're clearly trying to recapture the old shows, but just can't go it well at all.

It's weird when you see a show that has good production values, that's worse than the show where they didn't know what the hell they were doing a lot of the time.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Justin_Brett posted:

Watching this and Samurai is depressing, because they're clearly trying to recapture the old shows, but just can't go it well at all.

The weekly plots of the episodes were never as hokey as the plots we're getting from the Nickelodeon era. Well, except for maybe some of MMPR3 and Turbo. Samurai and Megaforce also have the worst red rangers ever.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Without an actual likebale leader like Jason the rest of the rangers look like goobs too.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I was excited for Megaforce. I couldn't believe how bad Samurai was, but I chalked it up to the production team getting used to the property again after getting it back from Disney, so I figured MF would be a fair sight better. I couldn't even get through the first episode when I tried to watch it :( Are they adapting Goseiger as literally as they did Shinkenger? I never watched Goseiger, so I don't know.

I've been wondering if the quality means Saban might not be able get a new season produced, but maybe worrying about the quality of the show is a 30-year-old man concern that toy sales don't care about.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:allears:

Gia and Jake are the only reasons to watch the show.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Much better red ranger.

And Noah always stands around like "I am definitely not hiding some massive muscles under this jacket."

EDIT: OH MY GOD HE'S CLARK KENT

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toomanyninjas posted:

I was excited for Megaforce. I couldn't believe how bad Samurai was, but I chalked it up to the production team getting used to the property again after getting it back from Disney, so I figured MF would be a fair sight better. I couldn't even get through the first episode when I tried to watch it :( Are they adapting Goseiger as literally as they did Shinkenger? I never watched Goseiger, so I don't know.

I've been wondering if the quality means Saban might not be able get a new season produced, but maybe worrying about the quality of the show is a 30-year-old man concern that toy sales don't care about.

I haven't been watching but just from that clip I can tell you're they're not adapting it even remotely similarly. Literally everything there is different than in the original context.

The Warstar villains are still around despite the UMA being there, Gosei Knight is acting like a beep-boop robot and sounds like Robocop (which is loving bizarre considering there is a villain literally named after Robocop in the original Goseiger who is also a robot), the Mega Rangers don't appear to act anything like the Goseigers... basically they're using the footage and it seems like nothing else.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really hope they just make Gia the leader of the Pirate season or something.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SpazmasterX posted:

The weekly plots of the episodes were never as hokey as the plots we're getting from the Nickelodeon era. Well, except for maybe some of MMPR3 and Turbo. Samurai and Megaforce also have the worst red rangers ever.

When's the last time you watched MMPR1&2 or Zeo? They're exactly that hokey.

Tae posted:

I really hope they just make Gia the leader of the Pirate season or something.

Now that you mention it...

Sure, I can see it.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Pinwiz11 posted:

:allears:

Gia and Jake are the only reasons to watch the show.

They really are. We've harped continually on Troy, Emma is basically relegated to noise (she is so utterly forgettable I seriously can barely even remember her name half the time), while Noah would be so much better if his character weren't locked into HEY GUYS I'M SMART AND DO THE SCIENCE because he has some genuinely good moments despite the writers trying so hard to make him Billy.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 9, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

King: I'll let you two handle the complex stuff! (Refering to Ian and Souji)
Amy: You don't think of me as one of the smart ones?

At this point all King does is nod his head yes. It doesn't seem to bother Amy. :stare:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Box of Bunnies posted:

When's the last time you watched MMPR1&2 or Zeo? They're exactly that hokey.

But they had charm, and Zeo actually tried to do some serious storylines.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

But they had charm, and Zeo actually tried to do some serious storylines.

The "charm" is entirely manufactured in your own head. They really are pretty awful if you try to watch them and separate out the nostalgia.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

BoutrosBoutros posted:

The "charm" is entirely manufactured in your own head. They really are pretty awful if you try to watch them and separate out the nostalgia.

Well they had the unmorphed fights (well, Zeo didn't, but MMPR1&2) and Ron Wasserman songs, so there was that going for them at least. Certainly no charm to the characters/story, though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The pacing to the episodes just seem way off, like it's on hyper juice and then they flounder at the fight scenes. That's my main problem with it. Well that and Troy being the most invisible red ranger since Rocky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why everyone seriously brings Wasserman up as a good thing, outside of the MMPR theme song the show's music was either forgettable or downright bad. Especially future theme songs which were all stilted messes.

• Locked thread