Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Bonster posted:

You're usually seeing them fresh when the foot is all lumpy and swollen.

Also, unless you're Quentin Tarantino you never really look at someone's feet. In a tattoo photo it's up close and the only thing in frame. And feet in general just look kinda weird when put under that kind of inspection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Assoonasitits posted:

It seems to be well done?

It's not.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Is the message supposed to be "anchor me but never hold me down" or is the one she's getting on the other foot a complementary phrase? Otherwise all I can see is "don't hold me down" next to a picture of a thing designed to hold things down.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
It's probably going to be a ship's wheel with "Be the one to guide me" and then the anchor is "but never hold me down". It's a pretty common tattoo pair.

Edit:

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 13:42 on Apr 19, 2013

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!

Hype posted:

And speaking of weird looking feet, here's her other tat:

The second and middle toe are webbed, right? That's not just my eyes playing tricks.

Goddamnit I hate feet people should really stop bringing attention to them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

meataidstheft posted:

The second and middle toe are webbed, right? That's not just my eyes playing tricks.

Goddamnit I hate feet people should really stop bringing attention to them.

Somewhere someone is spanking it wildly to that. (Not me I swear)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

HelmetCheese posted:

Found this in some dark corner of the internet a few years ago:

Gonna drink me a can of Pabst Turquoise Ribbon.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The thing about the anchor tattoo on the foot is bugging me in a total :spergin: way. See, nautical foot tattoos are a long standing sailor tradition. But what they tattoo on their feet tend to be things that float or fly. It's for superstitious reasons...see, if your feet can float in the water, then if you fall overboard/crash, you won't sink and drown. This person is putting a tattoo on their foot of something that is deliberately meant to sink to the bottom of the ocean. If they were a sailor, it'd be totally bad mojo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Choco1980 posted:

The thing about the anchor tattoo on the foot is bugging me in a total :spergin: way. See, nautical foot tattoos are a long standing sailor tradition. But what they tattoo on their feet tend to be things that float or fly. It's for superstitious reasons...see, if your feet can float in the water, then if you fall overboard/crash, you won't sink and drown. This person is putting a tattoo on their foot of something that is deliberately meant to sink to the bottom of the ocean. If they were a sailor, it'd be totally bad mojo.

That doesnt really explain the old pig and rooster combo. Well... pigs float when dead but roosters.... Not sure.

uptown
May 16, 2009

http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2008/12/sailors-tattoos-–-pigs-chickens-swallows-and-tattooed-backsides/ posted:

There are two versions of the story as to why a pig and chicken will prevent a sailor from drowning. The first is just that pigs and chickens do not like water, so they would like to be out of the water as soon as possible. A slightly more plausible explanation is that pigs and chickens were often carried on deck in wooden pens. In a shipwreck the pens would often wash ashore with the other debris from the ship. Pigs and chickens were at times th only survivors of ship wrecks. A more prosaic explanation was that having a pig and chicken tattoo would guarantee that a sailor eats well as he carries his hams and eggs with him at all times.

One variation was to have a tattoo of a pig on the left knee and a rooster (cock) on the right foot signified “Pig on the knee, safety at sea. A cock on the right, never lose a fight.”

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Assoonasitits posted:

Former classmate. Does this one count? I think it counts, but does it? She's getting something done on her other foot as well.

[timg] http://lpix.org/1183993/Does this count.jpg[/timg]

It seems to be well done? I don't know.

Line work is shaky, shading is terrible, and composition is pretty awful. Objectively speaking.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Assoonasitits
Dec 11, 2007

I guess frogout is too polite to simply say "begone".

I can think of one regert this person might have now.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Hype posted:

I was randomly looking up people I used to go to school with when I came across this gem.

I'm not usually one of those "You'll regret it in 20 years!" people but in this case...

Similar story here: Was looking up old classmates on facebook, and came across a guy I knew in middle school. I posted this forever ago in the FB thread, and decided to take another look at it today to see if it was really as bad as I remembered.

Yes. Yes it is.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

hyperhazard posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

Those comments :psyduck: Each makes it even better!

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Ehh, I've seen enough of this that I'm pretty sure it was spelled that way on purpose. Doesn't make it any less cliche, though.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
My childhood best friend just added a hideous pair of hands to her already hideous tattoo of a tree and some Zodiac signs.

A guide: The Zodiac signs are for each of her children and herself. The Russian says "Vegan Hippy". She is not Russian. She does not speak Russian. She does not know any Russians. She has no interest in Russia, to my knowledge, and I think my husband is the only person she knows that does have an interest in Russia. The spot on one of the hands is a huge mole she has.

I'm just beside myself. This is so loving awful. And she couldn't afford it anyways, she has $0 in savings, a loan against her husband's 401k, and she just gave up her cars to voluntary repossession.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
We can be in a not-so-super-exclusive club of people who watch their best friends get zodiac symbols and drivel etched into their backs!

When I was fifteen, my best friend would regale me with the exact tattoo she'd always dreamed of having during the 45 minutes it took for our school bus morning route. It would say "Fly Away Home" because after her parents' divorce her mom took her and moved out to my podunk little farming town 30 miles away from the much larger 'burbs where she was from. She hated the local rednecks so much, she wanted desperately to be back with her friends in suburbia. I was somewhat (but not really) surprised to find out she'd gotten this when we were 19, but it was just the fairy wings. While they're not very original, they're still okay... But she couldn't leave well enough alone and got a family friend to do the rest of this poo poo for free, and it looks like a horrible skin disease. At least she's happy with it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

That's supposed to be Thom Yorke from Radiohead.

I've heard he is a bit of a tit.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

dopaMEAN posted:

The Russian says "Vegan Hippy".

Isn't most tattoo ink (and all black tattoo ink) non-vegan?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fatkraken posted:

Isn't most tattoo ink (and all black tattoo ink) non-vegan?

Pretty much, yes. You'd be hard pressed to find a black ink that doesn't contain bone char.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

dopaMEAN posted:

My childhood best friend just added a hideous pair of hands to her already hideous tattoo of a tree and some Zodiac signs.

A guide: The Zodiac signs are for each of her children and herself. The Russian says "Vegan Hippy". She is not Russian. She does not speak Russian. She does not know any Russians. She has no interest in Russia, to my knowledge, and I think my husband is the only person she knows that does have an interest in Russia. The spot on one of the hands is a huge mole she has.

I'm just beside myself. This is so loving awful. And she couldn't afford it anyways, she has $0 in savings, a loan against her husband's 401k, and she just gave up her cars to voluntary repossession.
Hmm. I can't figure out why they used Abbot's left hand and Costello's right.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Sham I Am posted:

Hmm. I can't figure out why they used Abbot's left hand and Costello's right.

One of the pictures she posted had the printouts of the design - the hands had a Shutter Stock watermark.

Apparently some of the redness should fade. And she chose the Russian because it is "less cliched than Japanese, Chinese, or cursive".

She just told me that they've decided to add an earth to the bottom of the hands, so that it represents how we're all supported by the earth, etc.

Are tattoos really cheap?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dopaMEAN posted:

Are tattoos really cheap?

You get what you pay for.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I recently got my daughter's name on my wrist with a small lady bug next to it for 100. So I imagine that one to be fairly expensive... Unless she's friends with the tattoo artist

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Stringbean posted:

I recently got my daughter's name on my wrist with a small lady bug next to it for 100. So I imagine that one to be fairly expensive... Unless she's friends with the tattoo artist

She's not.

I ask because we literally just had a conversation last night about how I thought she should consider couple's therapy with her husband (they broke up and got back together this week or something), but she said she couldn't afford it. Last year she said she couldn't afford to send her son to preschool, then bought two ATVs.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stringbean posted:

You can't really compare tattoo pricing like that. You probably got the "walk in shop minimum special", that hot mess (the hands etc) was probably done in some tweaker's kitchen, for about the same price.

dopaMEAN posted:

She's not.

If it was done in a shop let us know which, they're gallery is probably amazing.

And it might be time to sever your emotional ties with this girl. People who continually make dumb choices are best left as entertainment.

highme has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Apr 22, 2013

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

dopaMEAN posted:

Apparently some of the redness should fade. And she chose the Russian because it is "less cliched than Japanese, Chinese, or cursive".

I need to learn to speak cursive.

Murder Boner
Jul 19, 2012
A friend commented on this on Facebook and it showed up in my feed. The dude has about 20 photos of it and is insanely proud of his sweet head raven. He said he could grow hair over it if he gets sick of it but then someone pointed out that he is balding, so...

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Murder Boner posted:

A friend commented on this on Facebook and it showed up in my feed. The dude has about 20 photos of it and is insanely proud of his sweet head raven. He said he could grow hair over it if he gets sick of it but then someone pointed out that he is balding, so...

Football fan or just Edgar Allan Poe enthusiast?

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Murder Boner posted:

Why wouldn't they have made it so the eagle's foot is closer to the ear, like it was perching on the ear. As it is, it looks like the eagle is either floating in space, lying dead on the ground, or I suppose in the middle of some sort of karate kick.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Murder Boner posted:

It looks upset and angry, maybe because it's only got one leg.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Hair salon / tattoo shop in my city. How bad could it be..

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Murder Boner posted:

Yeah, that hairline is dangerously close to the edge of the tattoo...I wouldn't count on it staying hidden forever if I were him.

I've always kind of secretly/guiltily wanted to get a treasure map tattooed on my scalp, and just keep it covered with hair forever. I'm planning on donating my body to a med school or something when I die, and I like the idea of somebody prepping me for a dissection lab and discovering a secret treasure map. :yarr:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Just saw this on my facebook feed:

Terrible tattoo or brilliant ironic commentary?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

demonachizer posted:

Just saw this on my facebook feed:

Terrible tattoo or brilliant ironic commentary?

It'd be kinda awesome if he tattooed his eyelid with "no".

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I always wondered what animal they made corn dogs from.

Now I know.

(from facebook)

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
A friend of my boyfriend

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

CeramicPig posted:

A friend of my boyfriend

I Will Not Reayo Destruction But Life Instead.
Wise words indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
What is this supposed to be? A man standing in the woods? I honestly can't tell.

• Locked thread