Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Pretty sure Turbo is considered one of the worst if not the worst season of Power Rangers, mostly because the blue ranger is a little kid who magically becomes adult sized when he transforms.

Sentai technically did that first (Kou from Dairanger). Though it should be noted that both franchises only tried the little kid as a ranger thing once and then never again(aside from one episode of Gekiranger but I'm not sure if that really counts). I didn't find Kou quite as annoying as Justin but I still don't think its something that should be attempted again.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Larryb posted:

Sentai technically did that first (Kou from Dairanger). Though it should be noted that both franchises only tried the little kid as a ranger thing once and then never again.

forgetting someone arent we?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUKt-LWi0Oc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, forgot about him. And not really Sentai related but there was also Big Bad Beetleborgs (Saban's adaption of the Metal Heroes show Beetle Fighter) where all the main heroes were children.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Don't think anyone here needs an introduction to BBB

Anyway, Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills

Man... That is something that I'm just know remembering existed

Is it technically tokustatsu?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Techincally nothing. Just because it's amazingly low budget and very crappy and has almost no redeeming qualities, doesn't exclude it from being Toku. Often, it's the reason why it IS Toku!

Turbo was an odd duck of a show. Even if you took out Justin, the plots could be really schizo, partly because one side of the production wanted to continue with the serious story, while the other wanted to just embrace the parody that was the Sentai, resulting in a mishmashed mess that just kind of soiled itself and hoped no one noticed. Oh, and, you know, Ghetto Alpha. In Space was when they decided, gently caress it, we're doing a space opera, screw the Sentai.

Power Rangers, I think, is at its best when it has a defined idea that it wants to be, either in the image of the Sentai or as far away from it as contractually possible, and the worst seasons are the ones that just sort of flop around unsure, or worse, not caring, about what it wants to be. ...you know, if good writing is involved.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

Techincally nothing. Just because it's amazingly low budget and very crappy and has almost no redeeming qualities, doesn't exclude it from being Toku. Often, it's the reason why it IS Toku!

Corniness is the soul of Tokustatsu, and I wouldn't have it any other way

i believe tokustatsu has the rarest form of corniness known to man:

Bad rear end corn

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 30, 2013

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Dexie posted:

Holy crap, that episode.

Was it just me, or was Gold's fight scene REALLY well done? The effects and the choreography for this episode were just...wow. Completely blew me away.
I've rewatched it several times. Koichi Sakamoto is a god among toku directors.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Rena posted:

Kuuga is also a great show, but I wouldn't recommend it as your first Rider. It'll leave you annoyed at other seasons for stuff like Kuuga having competent police force actually helping the Rider vs being useless in most seasons.

i wish you'd post this months ago :(

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Turbo was an odd duck of a show. Even if you took out Justin, the plots could be really schizo, partly because one side of the production wanted to continue with the serious story, while the other wanted to just embrace the parody that was the Sentai, resulting in a mishmashed mess that just kind of soiled itself and hoped no one noticed.

This. Justin had very little to do with that show sucking, Turbo had no idea if it wanted to be serious or comedy and it tried to blend both badly. It ended up too strange to be a serious action show and too dumb to be funny and the villains were lame.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Somehow the series that was trying to be more serious had the sillier suit.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I love Utsusemimaru so much, he's just this big ol softy and I wanna hug him

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm surprised they even made their own version of that suit. You'd think they would have just imported, since that was the reason they didn't want to keep Lord Zedd and Crew in the picture.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Would Xena: Warrior Princess and The New Adventures of Hercules fall under the umbrella of Toku then?

Also, I'm reminded of Mystic Knights of Tir-Na-Nog which was the American attempt at a Toku. Sadly, there's apparently no releases beyond a VHS of the original.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
As long as you are open to removing "Japanese" from the definition, pretty much anything with a focus on special effects can be considered tokusatsu.

Xena and whatnot seem like they'd fit in fairly well. Also stuff like Thunderbirds and UFO.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Houjou from Agito just comes off as batshit insane to me :(

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

The Blackest Goon posted:

Houjou from Agito just comes off as batshit insane to me :(
He's supposed to. The further along in the series he gets, the more off the tracks he falls. His jealousy of the G3 Unit team and bizarre hatred of Agito fuels him into insanity.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Light Gun Man posted:

As long as you are open to removing "Japanese" from the definition, pretty much anything with a focus on special effects can be considered tokusatsu.

Xena and whatnot seem like they'd fit in fairly well. Also stuff like Thunderbirds and UFO.

Bing-O. Tokusatsu literally just means special effects show, so even things like Doctor Who, Star Trek, or Buffy if you want to stretch it counts.

The way we usually use it tends to exclude the non superheroy stuff, but that's flawed in and of itself purely because of the original Toku, Godzilla. So yeah. Also, fun fact, UltraSeven was inspired by Thunderbirds, which is why there is a lot of focus on the Ultra Garrison in their Ultra Hawks and other vehicles.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Just started watching Kakuranger.

WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME THIS SHOW HAD SHO KOSUGI'S KID IN IT?

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
The other day I realized Nossan is probably the last time a sentai character is going to be older than I am.

Now I feel really old.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

toomanyninjas posted:

The other day I realized Nossan is probably the last time a sentai character is going to be older than I am.

Now I feel really old.

We had Blue Buster and now Nossan, you never know what the future holds!

But probably, yeah. :(:hf::( At least we'll always be younger than Ramires.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

And Utchy technically.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

We had Blue Buster and now Nossan, you never know what the future holds!

But probably, yeah. :(:hf::( At least we'll always be younger than Ramires.

Maybe you were younger than Blue Buster...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

toomanyninjas posted:

Now I feel really old.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!
A full two years older! Too bad he's no longer official :cry:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

toomanyninjas posted:

Maybe you were younger than Blue Buster...
Whoops. For some reason I had it in my head that they were the same age at 28.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Whoops. For some reason I had it in my head that they were the same age at 28.

Blue Buster's actor is a year younger than Kyoryu Blue's, but Nossan the character is apparently meant to be 32.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Blue Buster's actor is a year younger than Kyoryu Blue's, but Nossan the character is apparently meant to be 32.

That makes the team dynamic kind of creepy. You've got this 32-year-old family man hanging around with a 16-year-old Green and and 18-year-old Pink—he's twice the age of one of his teammates!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

toomanyninjas posted:

That makes the team dynamic kind of creepy. You've got this 32-year-old family man hanging around with a 16-year-old Green and and 18-year-old Pink—he's twice the age of one of his teammates!

But he's just so mellow and chill. He's not hanging out with Pink in order to creep on her. If anything, he's taking the big brother, or even fatherly, role.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

toomanyninjas posted:

It's a working relationship. Haven't you ever worked with someone much older/younger then you?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

toomanyninjas posted:

In Gobusters you technically had the same thing, except with a 45 year old man.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Finally got to Kyoryu 11

Random unicycle fight leading into tripping the enemies with dance moves finising up with a blast from the transformation energy. Utchy's goofiness with a cold, distant facade. Making time for the samba with the guys transformation even though it was so late in the game that some stock footage would've sufficed.

This show :allears:

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 3, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

With all this and the movie being a musical, Kyoryuger is officially the most fun sentai. As expected from the director of Fourze.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Half of Amy's lines are over-dubbed by someone who knows less English than her amy's actress probably knows herself.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

HKR posted:

It's a working relationship. Haven't you ever worked with someone much older/younger then you?

I guess when you put it that way it makes more sense. I don't really care as much as it sounded like I did, though -- this show is too fun to nitpick things.

I wish they'd done an ending dance with Ramirez included.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

toomanyninjas posted:

I guess when you put it that way it makes more sense. I don't really care as much as it sounded like I did, though -- this show is too fun to nitpick things.

I wish they'd done an ending dance with Ramirez included.

They need to save something for the movie...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

They need to save something for the movie...

Also for when the other Kyoryugers (there will be others, right? :ohdear:) appear so they have their own version of the ED

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xelkelvos posted:

(there will be others, right? :ohdear:)

I would be surprised if we don't get a full complement of ten by the end of the series considering there are that many main Voltasaurs, even if the last three are just cameo-having spirit warriors like Ramirez.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Are GomenRider's Agito subs any good? I think I need to get around to watching that show there.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Parmesan Basil posted:

Are GomenRider's Agito subs any good? I think I need to get around to watching that show there.

I can personally vouch for them. They're pretty good scrubs with all new encodes. Probably the best way to watch the series. Then again, the other options are CAP and TV-N, so it's not like it's much of a competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

KEEP SMILING!

Box of Bunnies posted:

I would be surprised if we don't get a full complement of ten by the end of the series considering there are that many main Voltasaurs, even if the last three are just cameo-having spirit warriors like Ramirez.

Well, we're at least supposed to get Kyoryu Grey sometime in the next month or so once they get Bunpachy.

• Locked thread