Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joramun posted:

Everyone except Ygritte.

You are really wrong. I mean the casting is off but still.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't like Ygritte because she's annoying. I disliked her in the book, too. :shrug:

I thought she was one of the most interesting characters along with Varys, LF and Arya. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for romances that take place in frozen deserts. I'd argue that she's more of a noble hero than Robb or Ned Stark.

Edit: I feel that whenever I say that the casting is off on a character that I should bring up and remind everyone that Jon Snow's actor is the worst casting.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bigmcgaffney posted:

gently caress you, no one wants to remember those passages.

I imagine everyone in the books speaking grammatically correct American English like myself, except for mai waifu~ Margaery who is a carbon copy of Asuka Langley Soryu

Actually Asuka is more like Ygri-

Wait what subforum am I on?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Shut up guys, you don't want the thread devolving in the badder thread.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Whatever Aurain wants them to be I guess? I have never thought to complain about accents. Didn't even notice Littlefinger's changing around a bunch which reportedly happened.

Real/Fake accents is natural speaking voice or not, I thought that was pretty obvious. The actors ability seems to weigh heavily on how good they are at changing it, but that's more TVIV than a Book Barn discussion.

I'm probably going to re-read AFFC and ADWD in the upcoming weeks because I have a bunch of appointments and meetings coming up where I'll likely have nothing to do for the entire duration of them.
I can't help but feel dread about reading those books again, but it has been a while since I read them and have forgotten large parts of them.
It kind of speaks volumes to me that when faced with the choice of mind numbing boredom or re-reading books 4 and 5 of ASOIAF, the books part is the slightly more appealing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
And who says changing your accent in every scene isn't awesome, huh? Hugh Keays-Byrne did it in Mad Max and it was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVs1IL0fL8

http://youtu.be/37BMplDzJPE?t=29s

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Adding Theon scenes to this season is the stupidest thing.

I think it tells us about Theon's long term importance though. They are having to cut poo poo, and its interesting to see who gets cut ( no pun intended, my dear Theon ). Was nice to see Ross gone, for that reason. Her story arc didn't mean poo poo, except as a good way to get us some screen time with Littlefinger - and with him leaving the city, we don't need her for that anymore.

Something I liked about the show - they set up very clearly that scene where Tyrion is aware Joffrey wants him dead. That is important for the wedding scene. I wonder if they will go through with Sansa's wedding to Tyrion - seems like could skip it. In the book it is a good set up for why Tyrion would hate Joffrey so much... but not sure if it is critical enough to warrant screen time. I mean, I guess it helps show what a "good guy" Tyrion is for not banging Sansa. Does that matter? Don't we already like Tyrion enough in the show?

Earlier in this thread, someone posted about Vary's motivation - did he know about lil Aegon? How was Viserys and Danyreas supposed to come together... like some trifecta of Aegon / Dorne & Viserys / Dany&drogo supposed to all show up at the same time?

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

kcroy posted:

Earlier in this thread, someone posted about Vary's motivation - did he know about lil Aegon? How was Viserys and Danyreas supposed to come together... like some trifecta of Aegon / Dorne & Viserys / Dany&drogo supposed to all show up at the same time?

Aegon was definitely his plan at least since Kings Landing got sacked. Dany and Viserys were supposed to distract from him but also to provide him with Dothraki riders when Westeros is hosed enough. But of course then Viserys and Drogo got killed and the Plan had to change. The Golden Company actually complains about it in one of Griffs chapters.

I think GRRM mentions in an Interview that Varys is not aware about the Dorne Plot. Which BTW is incredibly poorly thought out. Your decades long plan for Revenge hings on the survival of Viserys or at least Dany. You can't even send some Advisors or Sellswords in secret to protect them Prince of Dorne?

All of this shows that the best way to play the Game is like Littlefinger or I guess Tywin. Secret yearlong conspiracys never work out because something comes that you couldn't see and fucks everything up.

I Love Loosies fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 9, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

kcroy posted:

I think it tells us about Theon's long term importance though. They are having to cut poo poo, and its interesting to see who gets cut ( no pun intended, my dear Theon ).

Same goes for Margaery and her significantly expanded presence and prominence on the show compared to the books. Since the Gurm gave the showrunners outlines of what's going to happen in the last two books, she could well be one of endgame's main players and threats despite her position currently seeming kind of neutered as of the end of ADWD. But we know how easily things like that can turn around again.

That's not to say there will actually be any real sort of endgame at all like in, say, Harry Potter, LOTR or Wheel of Time. The message of ASoIaF in the end could well be that the game of thrones is simply neverending and there will just always be new players rising up and stepping to the plate. A perpetual carousel. That'd be a very Gurmy conclusion and, after the last two books, one I could totally see the series heading for.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
We just spent two pages discussing Ygritte and her actress and no one mentioned her nude scene.

Are we... are we the GOOD thread now? :ohdear:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Wild Cards? More like :dings:s.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

kcroy posted:

I wonder if they will go through with Sansa's wedding to Tyrion - seems like could skip it. In the book it is a good set up for why Tyrion would hate Joffrey so much... but not sure if it is critical enough to warrant screen time. I mean, I guess it helps show what a "good guy" Tyrion is for not banging Sansa. Does that matter? Don't we already like Tyrion enough in the show?

The size mismatch joke with him having trouble pulling over her hood or veil or whatever is made-for-TV.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

SaviourX posted:

Why she got Ls in her name if she asian, b?

Because she's half-white and grew up in Germany.

TSUNDERE

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Now I'm wondering how Ling-Ling would pronounce the name R'hllor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_np_WdF5NpA

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The size mismatch joke with him having trouble pulling over her hood or veil or whatever is made-for-TV.

I wouldn't really call that a joke actually, it's a deliberate act of cruelty and defiance on Sansa's part. It's an embarrassing moment for Tyrion that doesn't make you laugh at him along with the wedding guests, but makes you feel bad for him. I assume that's what the show would go for with that scene as well.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 9, 2013

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

We just spent two pages discussing Ygritte and her actress and no one mentioned her nude scene.

She was a little on the thin side (ribs), nice boobs and rear end though. I'd still hit it.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Still the bad thread, but bad as in "BAD MOTHER FUCKER".

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

I Own Soulz posted:

She was a little on the thin side (ribs), nice boobs and rear end though. I'd still hit it.

Well, she is a wildling living north of the wall in the frozen wastes.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

As a goon, whenever I see nudity, my brain automatically covers the nude bits with fedoras for the nipples and a wall o' text E/N post for the groin. That way, I never waste any mountain dew or confront ickiness.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

smertrioslol posted:

And they got a skinny white girl to play what should be an inuit character.

MY

IM

MER

SION

:ocelot::geno:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Why would the Wildlings be Inuit?

Jon/Ygritte mention that the Starks and the Wildlings share the same "first men" ancestry, so the Starks / Karstarks / Boltons / etc. would all be the same (either default white or Inuit).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

They're really far north and wear thick animal hide clothes at all times.

If the Dornish can be some flavour of hispanic, drat it, the wildlings can be inuit. There's not many non-whites in this series, you know?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

So do Vikings. :smug:

quote:

If the Dornish can be some flavour of hispanic, drat it, the wildlings can be inuit. There's not many non-whites in this series, you know?

Non-whites in a fantasy series? Then that means they're villains. And last I checked most of the Wildlings were not villains.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Non-whites in a fantasy series? Then that means they're villains. And last I checked most of the Wildlings were not villains.

And then there's the series' greatest hero, Strong Belwas.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

smertrioslol posted:

Do you think they purposefully said "lose some weight, you're in a cold desolate area and don't eat enough. Look the part"?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

El Hefe posted:

There's pretty much no way for a casual viewer to remember all the characters names and affiliations and all the bullshit without consulting the viewers guide or sperging in an online forum.
This is nonsense because Lost was throwing up nonsensical bullshit and it didn't stop fans from piecing together insane theories, using everything from dialog to imagery to props, etc etc. Game of Thrones is throwing out legit clues and the Puerperium Lochia Thread has no excuse for being so mindnumbingly dense. If they paid any attention at all to anything besides dialog, they would have already connected the dots between the big X Theon is tied to, and the Bolton banner.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Joramun posted:

And then there's the series' greatest hero, Strong Belwas.

A non-racist-as-gently caress GRRM brown person. Naturally he was cut from the show.

I can't wait for Sam to get on the boat to Oldtown. It'll either be all white dudes, or the most amazingly racist "summer islanders" imaginable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wasn't there a scene where Bolton specifically said he was sending his Bastard to take back Winterfell?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

A non-racist-as-gently caress GRRM brown person. Naturally he was cut from the show.

I can't wait for Sam to get on the boat to Oldtown. It'll either be all white dudes, or the most amazingly racist "summer islanders" imaginable.

I was also quite miffed when they didn't get my dream casting for Robb Stark: Donald Glover.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Are they seriously making the dornish mexican? I assumed they'd be more persian but I guess there's Essos. Well they are swarthy as gently caress I know that much.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

This is nonsense because Lost was throwing up nonsensical bullshit and it didn't stop fans from piecing together insane theories, using everything from dialog to imagery to props, etc etc. Game of Thrones is throwing out legit clues and the Puerperium Lochia Thread has no excuse for being so mindnumbingly dense. If they paid any attention at all to anything besides dialog, they would have already connected the dots between the big X Theon is tied to, and the Bolton banner.

Yeah, but those were the people that were watching and re-watching each episode, which isn't really the case here. Certainly there are people that are doing it, but for most people, if there's some mystery you want answered, you just go read the bloody source material. Then you can make up all sorts of theories about Night Kings and Mermen.

Krinkle posted:

Are they seriously making the dornish mexican? I assumed they'd be more persian but I guess there's Essos. Well they are swarthy as gently caress I know that much.

It's a shame they can't just cast Moroccans or something, since that's almost certainly where they'll film it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Danny Trejo should play Doran Martell

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Antonio Banderas for Oberyn. He's a bit old, but plenty of people want to gently caress his brains out anyway, so why not?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Intel&Sebastian posted:

When I read the books I tried my hardest to imagine "the mountain that rides" as Shaq, just because I thought it was hilarious.

Speaking of reading, though: has anyone read the series and skipped the Dany chapters? I am thinking of getting back into the books but I always thought her part was just a slog.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

I said casual viewers, not spergs, I know a few people who watch the show when it's on at whatever time during the week but they don't count the minutes till 9pm on a Sunday like most goons/redditors.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Antonio Banderas for Oberyn. He's a bit old, but plenty of people want to gently caress his brains out anyway, so why not?

Plus Emmanuelle Chriqui for Arianne, and Tyler Posey for Quentyn.

That covers all four important Martells, right? Well, there's Elia, but she isn't going to appear on the show anyway since they won't do flashbacks.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

El Hefe posted:

I said casual viewers, not spergs, I know a few people who watch the show when it's on at whatever time during the week but they don't count the minutes till 9pm on a Sunday like most goons/redditors.
Heh, joke's on you. I wouldn't even register the passage of time if it weren't for new episodes of Game of Thrones.

:smith:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, now that you're not apologizing for rape anymore, I guess you have nothing else to do with your days, huh?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Rape was played out. I've decided to become a pillage apologist.

Worldly possessions are fleeting, man.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rape was played out. I've decided to become a pillage apologist.

Worldly possessions are fleeting, man.

You don't own anything you can't carry at a dead run.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Michelle Rodriguez should be one of the sand snakes. The fiesty one who is also a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Mods, please ban Intel&Sebastian thanks.