Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OZC
Jan 28, 2008
I swear it'll never end... They just announced Premium Bandai Akibaranger Ranger keys. 5 keys, looks like all 3 season 1 designs and then the season 2 female suits. One of the ad pages specifically points out they aren't Mobirates compatible, which of course makes me want to try them just to see what sound it might trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

OZC posted:

I swear it'll never end... They just announced Premium Bandai Akibaranger Ranger keys. 5 keys, looks like all 3 season 1 designs and then the season 2 female suits. One of the ad pages specifically points out they aren't Mobirates compatible, which of course makes me want to try them just to see what sound it might trigger.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to somehow get two AkibaRed keys since now I know what I'm going to (want to) turn into a Car Key (in addition to hopefully doing the same with a GekiViolet Ranger Key). Nerdy as hell? Sure is. Do I care? gently caress NO. :getin:

So...does anyone happen to have an extra DX or Candy Toy GekiViolet Key? :v:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

SpazmasterX posted:

I liked the Accel movie. :(

It's a really good intro to toku movie. And it's also awesome as poo poo.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I wonder if Kyoryuger will get a Boy robo

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Accel movie is easily the third best modern toku movie in existence after Megamax and Fourze's movie. No surprise that all three are directed by Koichi Sakamoto. Which is why I can't wait for the Kyoryuger movie and Movie War Ultimatium.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Dr Tran posted:

I wonder if Kyoryuger will get a Boy robo

Like Tackle Boy and Tetra Boy?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Catching up on Wizard is making me increasingly annoyed with this "new friend of the week" trend in recent Kamen Rider shows. Every two episodes, we meet this generic character who just lost their job or wants to impress their stepfather or some crap, somehow a monster gets involved, Kamen Rider kicks its rear end, and then we never see the character again (nor would we ever want to).

I'd say it actually worked in Double, where said characters are basically Phoenix Wright witnesses (and unlike in Phoenix Wright, they rarely wear out their welcome) and their problems act as spring boards for a fantastic core cast. Otherwise, in most shows I can think of that follow that formula (Den-O, OOO, Fourze, the episodes of Wizard I've seen so far) it's mostly used as a distraction from how the main characters have nothing interesting going on and the show has no actual plot.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Maskman enters the list of sentai with complete subs. It was a great show all the way through, though I don't like the second robot at all.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Fred is on posted:

Catching up on Wizard is making me increasingly annoyed with this "new friend of the week" trend in recent Kamen Rider shows. Every two episodes, we meet this generic character who just lost their job or wants to impress their stepfather or some crap, somehow a monster gets involved, Kamen Rider kicks its rear end, and then we never see the character again (nor would we ever want to).

I'd say it actually worked in Double, where said characters are basically Phoenix Wright witnesses (and unlike in Phoenix Wright, they rarely wear out their welcome) and their problems act as spring boards for a fantastic core cast. Otherwise, in most shows I can think of that follow that formula (Den-O, OOO, Fourze, the episodes of Wizard I've seen so far) it's mostly used as a distraction from how the main characters have nothing interesting going on and the show has no actual plot.

Well in the case of Wizard, Den-O, OOO, the characters are looking for the MOTWs, in Wizard and Den-O's case they hear the people out because it helps them to achieve their short term goals (Saving the gate from despair and stopping the Imagin who just walked into this person's memory respectively) and with OOO, Ankh finds the monster while Eiji listens to whoever because he's the nice guy to Ankh's rear end in a top hat tendencies. In what I've seen of Fourze, all the happenings are at this school and the main character is actively looking to befriend everyone. The reason we never see people again is because they don't have anymore relevance, by the time the monster is stopped, their plot threads are resolved and hence they have no further reason to have much if any focus on.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Also in Fourze those people are still characters that you not only see in the background but actually keep doing things (like the goth girl that wants to ask Gentarou to prom for instance)

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Fourze was one of those I cited that was least annoying about this, it's true. Still, I'd rather they have focused on fleshing out the already bloated Kamen Rider Club cast than on giving a brand-new character a mini-character arc every two episodes. (The terribly-handled Meteor subplot didn't help either.)

I mean, I get that these guest stars are essential to these shows' respective premises, but that doesn't make me like them more. I'm tired of seeing Stock Whogivesashit get attacked by a giant killer spider, and then be concerned that he's going to miss his big audition. There's gotta be some other way to fill up these 52 episodes.

Of course, it's quite likely I'm just starting to get tired of toku in general.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kuuga did this amazingly well. It had its central cast, and it had the "deal with a monster over two episodes" plots, but it never truly did a Victim of the Week plot, instead focusing purely on the heroes trying to stop the monster. The few times it did focus on a random person, the person wouldn't be random-they'd end up being part of the secondary cast and would come back to play a role in later episodes.

I wish they'd do that more.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

So TVN came out and said anybody who doesn't like them is a hating troll idiot. Then I watched that Otakuking anime fansub documentary on youtube and laughed.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Oh man, that guy is so incredibly full of himself.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

RBX posted:

So TVN came out and said anybody who doesn't like them is a hating troll idiot.

My god, we've been the baka-chan-tachi all along! :negative:

ed: Oh man this is even better than what I was expecting:

TV-N posted:

They come off like religious zealots or dirty campaigners. Sometimes they do catch us making mistakes and stuff, but for the most part it's this smear campaign against a parody of what we are. . . . It's pretty easy to convince foolish people to believe superficial things, since they don't check the facts. But in this case, people who actually watch our subs already know what their opinions of our work is.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 3, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RBX posted:

So TVN came out and said anybody who doesn't like them is a hating troll idiot. Then I watched that Otakuking anime fansub documentary on youtube and laughed.

After reading their news post, it seemed more like they were calling out people who were full-on being hateful to them (personal insults and the like), not "anyone who doesn't like them"

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The best part was when he likened the trolls to the Westboro church

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think I figured out how to record Skype decently enough and how to publish a podcast (sort of), so if you would like to talk about old episodes of Power Rangers add me on Skype: liarlyresa

Send me a message telling me when you are available (days, times and time zone) and I'll probably pick the first two people to contact me unless there is a major conflict in schedules.

Also if you have previous podcasting experience, hit me up because I barely know what I'm doing.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Hey, here's a link to the actual thing.

quote:

I've seen screencaps of our work on Tumblr, or jokes at our expense on our forums. I mean, that's fine and all, we're not above criticism or being the source of a joke, but who actually finds that stuff funny?

I do. :allears:

And here's a link to Onore TV-Nihon while I'm there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Liar Lyre posted:

I think I figured out how to record Skype decently enough and how to publish a podcast (sort of), so if you would like to talk about old episodes of Power Rangers add me on Skype: liarlyresa

Send me a message telling me when you are available (days, times and time zone) and I'll probably pick the first two people to contact me unless there is a major conflict in schedules.

Also if you have previous podcasting experience, hit me up because I barely know what I'm doing.

Added you. I don't have a whole lot of podcast experience, but I have fiddled with audio editing before

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Oh yeah, need name suggestions for the podcast. I can't think of anything good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Go Go Podcast Rangers
Podcast Sentai Chatman
Secretly Wearing Spandex

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Those aren't even subtitles, they're captions. :v:

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Subber drama best drama :allears:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Fred is on posted:

Hey, here's a link to the actual thing.

I do. :allears:

And here's a link to Onore TV-Nihon while I'm there.

A week or two ago they were posting caps of Nobuharu's jokes on Kyoryuger, and it REALLY made me appreciate the extra effort OT puts in to rewrite them.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Liar Lyre posted:

Baka-chan-tachi-sama

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Liar Lyre posted:

Mighty Mouthing Podcasting Rangers

The Ranger Show

....Super Mega Podcast Rangers

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Podcast Sentai, Power Ra - oh wait that's taken.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Liar Lyre posted:

I think you're all missing the obvious answers.

It's Podcastin' Time!
Power Rangers: Podcast Force
Mighty Morphin Power Podcast

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Podcasters With Attitude.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

mikeycp posted:

Ooh, I like that one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fooley posted:

A week or two ago they were posting caps of Nobuharu's jokes on Kyoryuger, and it REALLY made me appreciate the extra effort OT puts in to rewrite them.

I didn't even think of that. His jokes, as written, must make absolutely zero sense if translated literally...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

mikeycp posted:

This one.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

TVN posted:

TV-Nihon ichiban

:ironicat:

(ichiban means the best)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

jivjov posted:

I didn't even think of that. His jokes, as written, must make absolutely zero sense if translated literally...

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

That one always makes me giggle.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Money puns are some of the easiest god damned jokes to make. There's no excuse for this. They had to have known he was trying to tell a joke. poo poo, they clearly knew he was making a pun. And that's how they translated it? It doesn't make any cents.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I appreciate TV-N telling us exactly what the character said and then explaining the pun...but O-T's certainly reads better in-the-moment.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

jivjov posted:

I appreciate TV-N telling us exactly what the character said and then explaining the pun...but O-T's certainly reads better in-the-moment.

That explanation is something that belong on the blog post or a translation note. Not on the middle of an episode where the character is probably rapid firing jokes. Also not everyone gives a poo poo about Japanese word puns.

I think the Onore blog said it, but TVN is kindly informing you that this character has told a joke, while the other translation is just letting the character make the joke. The second approach is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Money puns are some of the easiest god damned jokes to make. There's no excuse for this. They had to have known he was trying to tell a joke. poo poo, they clearly knew he was making a pun. And that's how they translated it? It doesn't make any cents.

:rimshot:

:bravo:

I'm glad for two things: Gokaiger for pulling me back into watching and making me look for better subs and O-T for providing them.

• Locked thread