Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is still my favorite TV-N/Over-Time comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

I appreciate TV-N telling us exactly what the character said and then explaining the pun...but O-T's certainly reads better in-the-moment.

They didn't tell you what he said though. He is telling a joke. That is not a joke. That is him literally saying something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

They didn't tell you what he said though. He is telling a joke. That is not a joke. That is him literally saying something.

TV-N gave a direct translation, and also provided an explanation of the pun. If you're a fast reader, you can read all that in time with the episode. That said, I appreciate O-T writing English puns.

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is still my favorite TV-N/Over-Time comparison.

This is twice as hilarious after watching the Otakuking video. How dare they use those subtitles at a time like this!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

jivjov posted:

TV-N gave a direct translation, and also provided an explanation of the pun. If you're a fast reader, you can read all that in time with the episode. That said, I appreciate O-T writing English puns.

I'm sad to say that until looking at that screenshot, that particular pun was the only one of OT's that I didn't get while watching the show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Liar Lyre posted:

Oh yeah, need name suggestions for the podcast. I can't think of anything good.

Bonertown Fun Complex and Plumbing Supplies.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wow, to think that there are some people (read: TV-N viewers) who don't realize that Nossan is the best Ranger ever.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's precious of Takenoko-hime* to insist they're okay taking criticism given how long he stuck to his guns on their forums over the hosed up Boukenger reference in Akiba season 1.

*T/N: hime means princess

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.

This one is my favorite of all the Nossan posts, because it just makes so little sense. They wrote a Japanese joke that WASN'T the joke Nossan was making, and then told us what it was. I'm still really confused.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wow, to think that there are some people (read: TV-N viewers) who don't realize that Nossan is the best Ranger ever.
He's the reason I've switched over to Overtime's version early on :)

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Lots of new music this week on Kyoryuger. Is there a new CD coming out?

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Dr Tran posted:

Lots of new music this week on Kyoryuger. Is there a new CD coming out?
Yes, at the end of the month.

So, I was planning on watching Kabuto soon, but knowing TV-N is the only option I wanted to ask if there's any major gently caress up they made in the translations that I should be aware of beforehand/should look out for.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Black Feather posted:

So, I was planning on watching Kabuto soon, but knowing TV-N is the only option

Technically...

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Liar Lyre posted:

I think I figured out how to record Skype decently enough and how to publish a podcast (sort of), so if you would like to talk about old episodes of Power Rangers add me on Skype: liarlyresa

Send me a message telling me when you are available (days, times and time zone) and I'll probably pick the first two people to contact me unless there is a major conflict in schedules.

Also if you have previous podcasting experience, hit me up because I barely know what I'm doing.

I've added you as well, my free time is listed in the contact message.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The Kabuto Dub is actually kind of fantastic...

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think I may actually like Kyoryuger's cast more than Shinkenger's. While Takeru is still my absolute favorite character in any toku (yes, I have watched W), the rest of the team paled in comparison to him outside of a few select episodes. The Kyoryuger's, on the other hand, nail being consistent in how they interact with each other without being stagnant or predictable. They just... god, I love this team.

The villains, on the other hand, are completely predictable catchphrase sprouters and they are no fun at all.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The villains, on the other hand, are completely predictable catchphrase sprouters and they are no fun at all.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Luckyuro is absolutely precious. I think in the last episode, Aigaron confronted the Kyoryugers when they were all looking for the missing King, and he was standing in the background quietly waving around a pair of dowsing rods.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
When Lucky made his way into their base, they all started to transform and Lucky did the dance with them, despite being behind enemy lines :3:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Look at this wrong opinion.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
It's gonna be sad when the villains get axed at the end.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's gonna be sad when the villains get axed at the end.

I imagine Luckyuro and Candelila will survive. They seem like dicks a little bit, but this show seems too peppy to kill those two off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Man, I haven't even seen much of Kyoryuger and I know this is wrong

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Up to Episode 33 of W and even though there's been a few Deus Ex Machinas and Accel still has the personality of a brick it's still building to something awesome. The monster designs got extremely better as the series went on, the montage in episode 32 was one of the most unintentionally funny things i've seen, and seeing Phillip dressed as a girl made me ask myself questions I do not want to answer. I love the low amount of filler as well. I guess Kamen Rider is a little better than Sentai with that?

RBX fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 5, 2013

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

jivjov posted:

That still doesn't make it actually funny, though. You don't have to defend them on everything.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
As I remember it, W had a lot of "filler" episodes like most Rider/Sentai shows, but it peppers them with little bits of the bigger picture (as B- or C-plots usually involving the Sonozaki family) so it's harder to notice, and the show rarely ever gets boring, which distracts from how the case of the week is basically inconsequential. Really, I could probably watch 800 episodes of the Narumi Agency folks just solving random monster crimes forever.

drat it, I hope they can make another series as good as W one day. :smith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Justin_Brett posted:

That still doesn't make it actually funny, though. You don't have to defend them on everything.

Its a defensible position though. I prefer TV-N in some aspects, O-T in others.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fred is on posted:

As I remember it, W had a lot of "filler" episodes like most Rider/Sentai shows, but it peppers them with little bits of the bigger picture (as B- or C-plots usually involving the Sonozaki family) so it's harder to notice, and the show rarely ever gets boring, which distracts from how the case of the week is basically inconsequential. Really, I could probably watch 800 episodes of the Narumi Agency folks just solving random monster crimes forever.

drat it, I hope they can make another series as good as W one day. :smith:

Yeah, this is something that stands out about W.

Even if the main plot of the episode isn't plot-related, there is some sort of subplot or important characterization element going on. Even the episodes like Heaven's Tornado are important because they dedicate a lot of time to developing one of the main characters. It means the show is always progressing even if it's shrouded in a less important thing.

jivjov posted:

Its a defensible position though. I prefer TV-N in some aspects, O-T in others.

It isn't though. They failed to translate the joke. There's no joke there. It is like translating someone saying "It's cool, man" as "It is chilly, sir." You got the literal description of what they said but completely missed the intent.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 6, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RBX posted:

Up to Episode 33 of W and even though there's been a few Deus Ex Machinas and Accel still has the personality of a brick it's still building to something awesome. The monster designs got extremely better as the series went on, the montage in episode 32 was one of the most unintentionally funny things i've seen, and seeing Phillip dressed as a girl made me ask myself questions I do not want to answer. I love the low amount of filler as well. I guess Kamen Rider is a little better than Sentai with that?
Every episode of W advances the plot in some way. OOO's was somewhat half-way there, with each episode usually at least trading medals around so you could see new combos! But then Fourze and Wizard are just filler out the ears and there's nothing you can do to stop it, or make it easier.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As someone who enjoys wordplay, I can respect keeping the translation literal and providing an explanation. I wholeheartedly agree that O-T's method is way better in terms of watchability, but I do like reading TV-N's translations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Flameingblack posted:

Every episode of W advances the plot in some way. OOO's was somewhat half-way there, with each episode usually at least trading medals around so you could see new combos! But then Fourze and Wizard are just filler out the ears and there's nothing you can do to stop it, or make it easier.

Someone should make a Lazy Viewer Guide to toku one day where it tells you what episodes to watch if you're just interested in the main plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

As someone who enjoys wordplay, I can respect keeping the translation literal and providing an explanation. I wholeheartedly agree that O-T's method is way better in terms of watchability, but I do like reading TV-N's translations.

They don't even translate the wordplay correctly all the time though. So you're not even getting that unless you already know Japanese.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

HKR posted:

Someone should make a Lazy Viewer Guide to toku one day where it tells you what episodes to watch if you're just interested in the main plot.

That would actually be pretty rad. Since I'm going through Wizard right now, maybe I could try to cobble a thing together for the series so far.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Rei_ posted:

The Kabuto Dub is actually kind of fantastic...

Gotta agree. Is this something that's actually available somewhere or was that just a fandub proof-of-concept sort of thing?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Son Ryo posted:

Gotta agree. Is this something that's actually available somewhere or was that just a fandub proof-of-concept sort of thing?

It looks like it was for Singapore's Toonami. It looks like random episodes are around on youtube.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Search the facebook Toku fan pages for the dub I know it's on there somewhere.

When I watched Shinkenger the filler really irritated me because I wanted to see what would happen next and it was OBVIOUS filler. Still my favorite though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Son Ryo posted:

Someone was kind enough to put the entire thing on youtube recently, you should still be able to find it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

They don't even translate the wordplay correctly all the time though. So you're not even getting that unless you already know Japanese.

That I did not know. Rather depressing.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

That I did not know. Rather depressing.

The sad truth is TVN's translators are rather poor and despite doing this for years they have never improved. Instead of filling their QCers with people who can and will call them out for being bad, they only fill the spots with yes men and fanboys.

Onore did a QA today about issues with TVN's translations that really sink home how bad they are and how they'll never improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Pretty sure I switched to O-T a long time ago for subs and stuff.

Reading that blog, I'm really glad I did.

• Locked thread