Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

They're not even recognizable as spoilers if you haven't watched those series. Shinkenger isn't going to be some mega twist at this point considering Samurai did the same thing. So that's just Jetman, and it's worth being spoiled once to get the rest of the series.

Dude Jetman is heralded as one of the best sentai series of all time, I wouldn't say that so lightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Fred is on posted:

Would the movie make any sense to someone who's only seen a few episodes of Go-Busters? It seems pretty great, but I'm not going to be watching the series for a while.

It doesn't really spoil anything, but it's definitely intended for people who saw the whole show. I'd leave it until you do. It's not the best showing of a lot of characters, since it's just a comedy special more or less.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Classic Twisty posted:

Dude Jetman is heralded as one of the best sentai series of all time, I wouldn't say that so lightly.

Oh yeah, I forgot that if you know how it ends that makes the entire thing a pile of poo poo. My bad. Realistically if all you saw is the Gokaiger episode you don't even know how Jetman ends, because that poo poo could easily be post-series considering 20 loving years have passed.

EDIT: I saw the Gokaiger episode first, did not realize that Black Condor dying was something that happened in the series itself, I did end up finding that out, but only after I watched a bit of Jetman and got interested enough to read up on the series. Gokaiger didn't really spoil anything. Also this knowledge hasn't affected my enjoyment of the show.

Modern Day Hercules fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 5, 2013

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It's barely even a thing that happens in the series itself anyway. It's a three minute epilogue tacked on fairly needlessly to the end of the final episode. The series is easily top tier without even considering that. It honestly does not matter if you know or not.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gai dies is the Gabriel is Dracula of Sentai (or the other way around, technically). It's some last minute bullshit that has no actual relevance to the meat of the product.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Box of Bunnies posted:

Gai dies is the Gabriel is Dracula of Sentai (or the other way around, technically). It's some last minute bullshit that has no actual relevance to the meat of the product.

'Gabriel is Dracula'? Is this Lords of Shadow poo poo?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

'Gabriel is Dracula'? Is this Lords of Shadow poo poo?

It's a disjointed cinematic appended to the end of Lords of Shadow's credits, yeah.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So was hippo anyone from Gobusters itself or just some random guy they had in the movie? I can't remember him from anywhere.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 5, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cliff Racer posted:

So was hippo anyone from Gobusters itself or just some random guy they had in the movie? I can't remember him from anywhere.

He was brand new for Go-Busters Returns, as far as I know.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Cliff Racer posted:

Wasn't he Usada's voice actor?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

I assumed he was Usada's voice actor since he was standing next to him in the end credits (Gorisaki and Nick's VA's also made cameos in the movie).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Larryb posted:

I assumed he was Usada's voice actor since he was standing next to him in the end credits (Gorisaki and Nick's VA's also made cameos in the movie).

I assume Gorisaki's was the guy who picked up the heat pad that Ryuuji dropped?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

I assume Gorisaki's was the guy who picked up the heat pad that Ryuuji dropped?

Yeah, that was him. Nick's was the guy that asked him for directions shortly after he arrived in the other world.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 5, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's a disjointed cinematic appended to the end of Lords of Shadow's credits, yeah.

It was all explained in the DLC and there's more to come in the sequel BUT ANYWAYS

I think you get more out of Returns if you saw the series because GoBusters always had this seriousness to everything and constantly tried to subvert Sentai tropes, and Bestial Battery GoBusters is pure Sentai cheese that hit on every single trope they could.

Also if we don't get a Black Puuuuuumaaaaaaaa Figurarts I'll be sad.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Basically what everyone else said about Usada's VA. Also they needed references to dying sentai members

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Did J's voice actor show up anywhere? It'd be a shame if they left out the best one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's barely even a thing that happens in the series itself anyway. It's a three minute epilogue tacked on fairly needlessly to the end of the final episode. The series is easily top tier without even considering that. It honestly does not matter if you know or not.
Actually Jetman's ending epilogue is by far the best part of Jetman, the moment where it reaches everything that it could possibly be. It's loving beautiful and poetic.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

They're not even recognizable as spoilers if you haven't watched those series. Shinkenger isn't going to be some mega twist at this point considering Samurai did the same thing. So that's just Jetman, and it's worth being spoiled once to get the rest of the series.
No Toku fan worth their poo poo watched more than an episode of the utter abomination that is Power Rangers Samurai.
Seriously, oh my god, how do you take one of the greatest Sentai of all time and turn it into something worse than Turbo?

TV-N is loving horrible, but the fact remains that they are the only group to fully sub Shinkenger.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 5, 2013

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Actually Jetman's ending epilogue is by far the best part of Jetman, the moment where it reaches everything that it could possibly be. It's loving beautiful and poetic.

Finally some sanity. After watching Gokaiger, and knowing what happens it really affects all the plot and character development of the entire series.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Actually Jetman's ending epilogue is by far the best part of Jetman
It really isn't, alone it is nonsensical and ridiculous, being only held up by the characterization shown through the rest of the show. Off the top of my head I can pretty quickly think of five better moments in the show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

It really isn't, alone it is nonsensical and ridiculous, being only held up by the characterization shown through the rest of the show. Off the top of my head I can pretty quickly think of five better moments in the show.
Not the whole epilogue, just Gai's part.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

No Toku fan worth their poo poo watched more than an episode of the utter abomination that is Power Rangers Samurai.
Seriously, oh my god, how do you take one of the greatest Sentai of all time and turn it into something worse than Turbo?

TV-N is loving horrible, but the fact remains that they are the only group to fully sub Shinkenger.

I wasn't talking about Toku fans, the subject was people who had literally never seen Sentai before and were watching Gokaiger for the first time as their first series. The kind of people who would be interested in Sentai but haven't yet seen much if any of it would be exactly the kind of people who might have picked up a stray Samurai episode here and there.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Not the whole epilogue, just Gai's part.

Yeah, I know.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Gai's ending is neat since it is the opposite of how he was at the start of the series. Then I thought about it and every time Ryu and Kaori celebrate their anniversary they're gonna remember Gai's death. So even in the end he's a dick.

So I guess it's perfect :v:

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Lessail posted:

Gai's ending is neat since it is the opposite of how he was at the start of the series. Then I thought about it and every time Ryu and Kaori celebrate their anniversary they're gonna remember Gai's death. So even in the end he's a dick.

So I guess it's perfect :v:

Kudos to the best character in the series

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AzraelNewtype posted:

Guys.

Go-Busters Returns is amazing.

You don't even know.

A bit late to this, but yeah I didn't know. I couldn't have possibly expected anything this amazing.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

A bit late to this, but yeah I didn't know. I couldn't have possibly expected anything this amazing.

It's nice of the series to recognize that having the enemy literally being the internet going after the power supply was not a good idea.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I downloaded the movie and literally forgot I hadn't finished Go-Busters (Called the Steam Effect). So I now have renewed interest in the series. On episode 17 and I liked it before but after ep 14 it REALLY picked up and has an actual story. I love it and it's whole somber mood and yes Beet and Stag are awesome. Only bad thing is the fights, both human and mecha, are sooooo short! Leaves me wanting more everytime.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not including Gokaiger, which will never be surpassed in my eyes due to the insane amounts of fan service and anniversary goodness, Go Busters is probably my favorite Sentai.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Do they film still while the shows are running?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

RBX posted:

Do they film still while the shows are running?

Considering the shows run almost every week of the year, yes.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just making sure. So the tonal shift is really irritating me. The sudden silliness of monsters and the Busters, the insertion of kids into every episode, and the lack of mood from before hurts the show I feel. It should've stuck to its guns because trying to be two things at once isn't working. I'm sure this has been debated before. Stag's ridiculousness is all they needed. Everything with Enter is great as usual but I hope he just doesn't get buddy buddy with Escape.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

RBX posted:

Just making sure. So the tonal shift is really irritating me. The sudden silliness of monsters and the Busters, the insertion of kids into every episode, and the lack of mood from before hurts the show I feel. It should've stuck to its guns because trying to be two things at once isn't working. I'm sure this has been debated before. Stag's ridiculousness is all they needed. Everything with Enter is great as usual but I hope he just doesn't get buddy buddy with Escape.

You've reached the point where the highs are really high and the lows are really low. Stick with it, the finish is fantastic.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The sudden silliness of the monsters after there was a train monster in like episode 4 that gathered energy by running down the track going chugga chugga chugga chugga.

Personally I thought some of Gobuster's best episodes where after the retool, and I don't even mean the finale. It really gets overblown by people.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I never said the show was poo poo or anything. Everything before like ep 15 is really just story buildup so yea the best stuff comes after. But then I remember someone saying it felt like the solved the show midway through the season and that's the most apt comparison ever. Where they go from here is hopefully where it felt like it was going with Enter from the start. I can also care less for these Gavan episodes.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

RBX posted:

I never said the show was poo poo or anything. Everything before like ep 15 is really just story buildup so yea the best stuff comes after. But then I remember someone saying it felt like the solved the show midway through the season and that's the most apt comparison ever. Where they go from here is hopefully where it felt like it was going with Enter from the start. I can also care less for these Gavan episodes.

Really can't blame them for doing something different. The ratings were terrible, they had to try something else.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd like to think what they did with Enter after the halfway point was what they intended to do from the beginning, because it was one of the best aspects of the show.

And I personally don't count those Gavan episodes as part of the show, because it almost doesn't itself.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Lostconfused posted:

Watching this.

Is this what Go-Busters was liked? Is this what I missed? This is AMAZING!

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd like to think what they did with Enter after the halfway point was what they intended to do from the beginning, because it was one of the best aspects of the show.

And I personally don't count those Gavan episodes as part of the show, because it almost doesn't itself.

But Kotoha was there :(

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So is Liveman any good? Because the first episode was hilariously terrible.
Like, from the Gokaiger tribute episode, I got the impression that The Bad Guys were once friends with the heroes. But literally their first appearance is them standing up in the middle of an Exposition Lecture and saying "Helping people is dumb! We're gonna become way better at science than you because we don't care about helping people! YOU'RE ALL DUMB IDIOTS!" and then everyone is still surprised when they kill two people and get on a spaceship to Evil Lair of the Year. And I don't mean that they're surprised they had a spaceship, because I grant you that that's pretty surprising. I mean they're all "friends, why did you do this" when not five show minutes ago they had said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Evil will always win because good is dumb." As an aside, I would think the professor they said that to would send them to the Dean or whatever, since the class was being taught at Altruistic Paradise University, which is like a liberal arts college that actually has funding and esteem.

I will say, however, that it has one of the most fantastic moments of unintentional comedy I've ever seen in Sentai. Yellow's robot, which is this huge rear end Lion shows up for the first time, and the enemy's shooting at it, and it does that cliche "running unaffected through the enemy attack" thing. But then it cuts to the cockpit and it's on fire and Yellow is screaming in panic. It honestly wouldn't be out of place in Akibaranger, if it was meant to be a joke.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I take it that was a recent change in them, they just stumbled upon Volt and fell into their hype.

• Locked thread