Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They do get some development later on to humanize them a bit but I understand your point, I never really bought that the Livemen were supposed to be friends with these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Larryb posted:

They do get some development later on to humanize them a bit but I understand your point, I never really bought that the Livemen were supposed to be friends with these people.

They literally started out as friends tho?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Classic Twisty posted:

You wouldn't know it seeing the first episode though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Classic Twisty posted:

It doesn't matter that we're told that they're friends if we're never shown any reason that they would be friends.

I'm not asking for artistic integrity in my 25 year old Japanese toy commercials, just decent storytelling.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bestial Battery Gobusters was the best thing.

Green Hippopotamus showing up, being introduced as a romantic rival for Yellow's affections, and then immediately dying all within minutes of each other nearly killed me. Black Pyuuuuuuuma finally finished me off, with "Juice Drinker" J running between poses as the final nail in the coffin.

I can't wait for Busters VS Kyoryuger, though I'll be sad to say good bye to these characters for some time. They're my favorites.

Though I have to say that King is quickly stealing my heart. 19: Him shooting Kewtie in the face and saying "I saw you change, you know" was fantastic. He's far and away my favorite, which is hard to do when Gold and Blue are so drat awesome.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Though I have to say that King is quickly stealing my heart. 19: Him shooting Kewtie in the face and saying "I saw you change, you know" was fantastic. He's far and away my favorite, which is hard to do when Gold and Blue are so drat awesome.
I think Kyoryuger may have my favorite main group of any Sentai.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I'm catching up on my old Figuarts and, uh, why the hell is G3-X going for like triple the usual SHF asking price on eBay (~150)? I don't remember this being a web exclusive, so what the gently caress is going on here?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The wrestling episode (I'm a huge wrestling fan), episode 45, 47, and everything Jin and J pushed this into top 3 Sentai territory.

Actually later Go-Busters eps feel like a prototype kyoryuger.

RBX fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 9, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyoryuger is pahfeckt.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The opening with the movie teaser bits makes me really sad that we probably won't be able to see it until next year :/

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doubotsu Sentai really reminded me of all the best parts about Go-Busters: Hiromu & Enter, Jin and J, the giant robot fights, and the command center/show format.

Too bad Pink Cat (her reveal was hilarious) didn't get a suit and her and Black Puma didn't show up as part of the team for the finale.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

RBX posted:

Kyoryuger is shamelessly recycling plot points from Go-Busters, because nobody actually saw them the first time so nobody is going to call shenanigans. Next week's episode is going to be absurd in this category.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBX posted:

Well, if that won't get me to try Go-Busters nothing will.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Its funny because Go-Busters lifts points from Fiveman. But all the comedy and interactions with Jin and J screams Kyoryuger to me; not saying Kyoryu is bad or anything.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

RAMIREZ!!! :argh:

I'm also sad about the lack of Bunpachy in the opening credits... he had better be there once the movie previews go away.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I've never really gotten into the tokusatsu scene. I was aware but not a fan of all the shows in the 90s that lifted their special effects shots from existing toku shows, and I enjoyed the goofy charm of the kaiju films that made their way through MST3K but didn't go much further than that.

A couple years back, a friend pointed me at Kamen Rider Black, and I really enjoyed it. One thing in particular that I liked was that, regardless of whatever dumb stuff might be happening (Tortoise Mutant is brainwashing kids to be dicks to everyone, you guys!), there was a real earnestness to the whole thing and especially in Kurata's performance as Minami Kotaro. At the end of the day, he's still going to have to fight the evil cyborg that his brother has become, and that kind of sucks for him.

Given that I enjoy dudes/ladies in costumes punching each other, robots, bombast, and Kamen Rider Black, where should I go from here?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Kamen Rider W and OOO are great starts. Sentai wise, Kyoryuger is absolutely amazing. For older toku, Kamen Rider Stronger and Jetman are good choices.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zero_Tactility posted:

I've never really gotten into the tokusatsu scene. I was aware but not a fan of all the shows in the 90s that lifted their special effects shots from existing toku shows, and I enjoyed the goofy charm of the kaiju films that made their way through MST3K but didn't go much further than that.

A couple years back, a friend pointed me at Kamen Rider Black, and I really enjoyed it. One thing in particular that I liked was that, regardless of whatever dumb stuff might be happening (Tortoise Mutant is brainwashing kids to be dicks to everyone, you guys!), there was a real earnestness to the whole thing and especially in Kurata's performance as Minami Kotaro. At the end of the day, he's still going to have to fight the evil cyborg that his brother has become, and that kind of sucks for him.

Given that I enjoy dudes/ladies in costumes punching each other, robots, bombast, and Kamen Rider Black, where should I go from here?

Though I've heard mixed things, you may want to at least point an eye to Kamen Rider Black RX, as it's the rare thing of a kinda-sorta direct sequel to Black, with Kotaro getting new powers. (It's also the show the Saban Masked Rider show took footage from, mainly.) It's apparently a good bit lighter in tone than Black, though.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I am really not seeing what is so amazing about Kyoryugers. I'm about 15 episodes in or so.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyoryuger is pahfeckt.

Nonsense, its Super cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sonata Mused posted:

I am really not seeing what is so amazing about Kyoryugers. I'm about 15 episodes in or so.

Enjoy is for what it is. Thoroughly ridiculous zanyness with bad puns and a man-out-of-time galore.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

jivjov posted:

Enjoy is for what it is. Thoroughly ridiculous zanyness with bad puns and a man-out-of-time galore.

I don't know. Sometimes it just feels too silly. I mean, obviously I'm not the target audience here, but everything just feels so contrived and forced with some of the "wackiness" that comes about.

I think it's the same problem I had with Go-Onger.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Sonata Mused posted:

I don't know. Sometimes it just feels too silly. I mean, obviously I'm not the target audience here, but everything just feels so contrived and forced with some of the "wackiness" that comes about.

I think it's the same problem I had with Go-Onger.

Haha wow. What did you like then?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Dekaranger, Hurricanger, and the GoBusters Return movie (I'm gonna go back and give GoBusters another shot).

I didn't like Go-Onger.

Didn't watch Goseiger and didn't finish Boukenger for some reason.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The whole Go-Busters returns movie I watched with my hands covering my face trying to stop from laughing so hard as my daughter slept on the bed. That sure was some Sentai right there. I'd say watching the Go-Busters movie before the series is a really big mistake and undermines the whole thing greatly. Really glad I watched the series before.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Classic Twisty posted:

Haha wow. What did you like then?

What do you mean wow? I like Kyoryuger, but it's in a league of its own even considering all Sentai have comedy in them somewhere. And Go-onger, man...

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

What do you mean wow? I like Kyoryuger, but it's in a league of its own even considering all Sentai have comedy in them somewhere. And Go-onger, man...

It seems fairly consistent with the entire sentai continnum. Remember! It's a children's show

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Classic Twisty posted:

It seems fairly consistent with the entire sentai continnum. Remember! It's a children's show

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zero_Tactility posted:

For Rider? Definitely W. Some people say Kuuga or Agito but I couldn't stand them myself. For Sentai, Jetman (especially the earlier episodes) or Shinkenger. Contrary to what someone else in here mentioned I'd avoid Kyoryuger. Its a good show but has no real emotional depth so far which is what you seemed to like about Black. You might like Gobusters but its pretty polarizing.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

HKR posted:

Kamen Rider W and OOO are great starts. Sentai wise, Kyoryuger is absolutely amazing. For older toku, Kamen Rider Stronger and Jetman are good choices.

Cliff Racer posted:

For Rider? Definitely W. Some people say Kuuga or Agito but I couldn't stand them myself. For Sentai, Jetman (especially the earlier episodes) or Shinkenger. Contrary to what someone else in here mentioned I'd avoid Kyoryuger. Its a good show but has no real emotional depth so far which is what you seemed to like about Black. You might like Gobusters but its pretty polarizing.

Thanks, guys. Based on the common ground between these two sets of recommendations, I'm going to give Kamen Rider W and Jetman a try.

Gaz-L posted:

Though I've heard mixed things, you may want to at least point an eye to Kamen Rider Black RX, as it's the rare thing of a kinda-sorta direct sequel to Black, with Kotaro getting new powers. (It's also the show the Saban Masked Rider show took footage from, mainly.) It's apparently a good bit lighter in tone than Black, though.

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Black RX is also not subbed outside of a hilariously terrible hong kong knockoff, so I'm not sure why it's being recommended to a relative newcomer. Unless of course you do happen to understand Japanese.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AzraelNewtype posted:

Black RX is also not subbed outside of a hilariously terrible hong kong knockoff, so I'm not sure why it's being recommended to a relative newcomer. Unless of course you do happen to understand Japanese.

Don't forget the Saban version, Masked Rider. I watched the pilot out of curiosity and that show stinks to high heaven.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Liar Lyre posted:

Don't forget the Saban version, Masked Rider. I watched the pilot out of curiosity and that show stinks to high heaven.

That is a completely different show that in some cases superficially resembles Black RX. It is irrelevant and you should be ashamed of talking about it as an acceptable substitute.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just out of curiosity, when do we generally start getting hints at what the next Sentai team is going to be? I'm loving Kyoryuger, but the dinosaur motif is a little played out for me.

For some topical weekly content, based on the preview for next week, Kyoryu Violet isn't a spirit; he has a revolver, rather than just using the battery on its own.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

jivjov posted:

Just out of curiosity, when do we generally start getting hints at what the next Sentai team is going to be? I'm loving Kyoryuger, but the dinosaur motif is a little played out for me.

For some topical weekly content, based on the preview for next week, Kyoryu Violet isn't a spirit; he has a revolver, rather than just using the battery on its own.

not until we're in like episode 40ish territory. The first thing will be a trademark notice, then we'll either get leaked toy photos from an upcoming catalog or a shot of the suits from some random photo taken during filming.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Spoilers for next week: He doesn't just have a revolver, he's the dude who made the revolvers. He's also being played by Sonny Chiba which means Kyoryu Violet used his own voice for the revolver noises. :haw:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Continuing Kyoryu spoilers: So, with Silver and Violet both being guys, this is largest guy to girl ratio in Sentai yet. A surprise especially given Sakamoto's involvement.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

Spoilers for next week: He doesn't just have a revolver, he's the dude who made the revolvers. He's also being played by Sonny Chiba which means Kyoryu Violet used his own voice for the revolver noises. :haw:

Excuse my French but holy poo poo gently caress goddamn I am excited for next week now.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think Kyoryuger may have my favorite main group of any Sentai.
I've only seen Gokaiger on, so my experience is limited, but I definitely agree. It's close though, because I've only seen Gokaiger and Gobusters besides it and they both had fantastic characters, but the Kyoryugers are just so incredibly fun. I have a friend who wishes it was more serious, but I have faith that the series will pull that off just as well when it comes time for it. I mean, it's Sakamoto and Sanjo. Until then, it's a hell of a fun ride.

Potsticker posted:

Continuing Kyoryu spoilers: So, with Silver and Violet both being guys, this is largest guy to girl ratio in Sentai yet. A surprise especially given Sakamoto's involvement.
This here is my only complaint. Even just one more girl would have been nice. I'm kind of hoping that Bragigas' partner will be Daigo's dad, because I'm that kind of person, but it would have been nice to get another girl too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm another recent Toku convert and please please watch Kamen Rider W. I enjoyed that show so much that it's not even funny. I'd also point you towards the first few episodes of the older seasons of GARO as well. GARO might not be your cup of tea, but I enjoyed that as well. I think you might have to put up with TV Nihon subs for old GARO, but if they bother you that much you could always just watch a few episodes of the older season to see if you like the show in general, then go with the new season, which is only barely connected to the older ones so far and has Over-Time subs.

• Locked thread